A typical day in your life.....

Forum: Stay At Home Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Stay At Home Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 5th, 2012, 03:52 PM
Eowyn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Every day seems a little different but there is a loose routine hidden underneath it all. Haha!

Kids are up by 7 or if I'm lucky 8.
Breakfast is by 9, if I could get them to eat right away-I would but Im lucky if they will eat in the morning at all.

Some days we rise early and pack a lunch and spend the whole day at the beautiful park nearby and meet my hubby outside his workplace for lunch before heading home but now it's getting too chilly to be out all day.

School is throughout the day but we are often at the Library after 10.
They spend a lot of time outside during their free time.
Otherwise I generally have chores to get done around the house and yard while they are out playing but I will often join them in play for a bit.

After Lunch is usually reading aloud time unless something else is going on that day.
This is usually a half hour and afterwords the kids each have 'quiet time'.
They each play quietly in the rooms independently.
This break in the day is usually spent with me tidying up, If things are caught up though I can sit and have a coffee and go online, knit or read a bit.
This is my breather in the middle of the day and I am a much calmer, better mommy for having an hour or so break in the middle of the day-even with the occasional interruption like potty assistance or the drama of a lost or injured toy.

Once they are set loose they usually run outside or want to play games with me. We might have a snack if they are feeling hungry or have been especially active. More school is generally done during this second half of the day but
once DH is home around 5 he has time playing games with them and I get whatever else needs to be done around the house and get dinner ready for 6.
If it's a grocery day though we all go out to get groceries and might bring take out dinner home for a treat with a movie.

Family time after dinner unless its a bath night- and the kids are tucked in by 8.
DH and I might watch a show after the kids are in bed but I generally spend the evening at my art desk working and we both go to bed usually around 10 though I generally stay up longer unless I plan on waking up early with DH.(he wakes up at 5am to leave for work and sometimes I get up to prep for the day, read the bible or work more at my desk.

Weekends are dedicated for field trips and most Sundays we drive out of town to see my parents, go to church together and spend the rest of the day there with family or friends from church. We are usually home before dark on sundays just enough time to get ready for bed and start a new week all over again!

Last edited by Eowyn; October 5th, 2012 at 03:55 PM.
October 5th, 2012, 06:48 PM
mom2more's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That break in the middle of the day is nice! Some days when my little guy is napping I just chill out and do nothing instead of cleaning I love those days!

October 6th, 2012, 03:50 PM
somo_chickenlady's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2more View Post
chicken lady it sounds like you are pretty busy! Do you find your house gets messier because you homeschool? If my kids were all home all day I think my house would be a disaster! lol
Yes and no. Our house does get messier, but DS doesn't fight me as much on picking up after himself like he did when he went to public school. I have no idea why. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Kiliki* View Post
we are busy lady's!! LOL i can't believe i totally broke out the military time in my post HAHA!!!

Kara...how is the homeschooling going?? what types of things do you do? how do you break up the day?? do you go to any groups or anything...i know i've heard of some families who get together every so often..once a week or so with the homeschooling kids and just like do field trips or something with them all together...
It's going really well! It is a lot easier than I thought it would be. We're doing math (it's like pre algebra but just called "math"), biology, us history, language arts, sign language, typing, and he's reading the book "The Book Thief". We work in 4 week long sessions, then take a week off. I write out the entire months' worth of lesson plans in my big planner, and I found that he is a pretty independent worker that way. He looks at what he has to do for that day, he gets it done, and asks questions when he needs help. He grades his own work b/c I think they learn better that way (rather than just get a grade back but never learn the correct answer) and keeps track of how long it took him to do each subject, then I just plug the information into the tracker program I found. I grade his biology for him, though, b/c the answers are on my computer rather than in a book.

As for how I break up the day...he picks the order that he does his subjects. He usually starts with history and language arts b/c they are the "easiest", then he does math b/c that takes the longest. Then we have lunch, and after that he does typing, biology, and we end with sign language. He does his reading in the evening while I'm putting his grades and minutes into my computer. Every once in a while he mixes things up, though.

So far, we haven't done anything with the homeschooling groups in the area. The one that is the furthest away (one hour each direction) requires you to participate a certain amount of times per month and I can't commit to that. The other one mostly only does YMCA stuff, and we can't afford a membership. Plus, we only have one working vehicle at the moment, and DH uses it to drive to work. His work is 30 minutes away, one direction, so it isn't worth it to pay for gas for me to drive him to work to use the car during the day and then pick him up again. We live too far out to ask any of them for a ride. DS goes to youth group at church every week, and he has some friends there so he gets socialization that way. He never did make friends at school here last year, so he doesn't miss them.

Click on my blinkies!!

**thank you SO much to tasha_mae for my beautiful siggy
and to CupcakeJamie and Niamh ૐ for my blinkies!!**

Last edited by somo_chickenlady; October 6th, 2012 at 03:54 PM.
October 6th, 2012, 04:29 PM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
Let's see....we don't have a set schedule most days...

We wake up around 8am..give or take an hour! LOL This week Connor's been sleeping 'til 9a

Connor watches tv in the morning, while I wake up with coffee and internet time, then we both eat breakfast

Monday's we head to Kindermusik, Tuesdays & Thursdays we head to the gym.
Wed & Fri we hang out at the house, if the weather is nice, we'll go to the park. We may run errands on any day during the week. If we're really bored, or the weather is bad, we may just walk around Target to get out of the house! LOL Random days, we may have a play date or meetup with our local mommies group.

He's been taking an afternoon nap, sometime after lunch. Usually, on Monday's , he will fall asleep in the car on the way home from music class.

In between breakfast and lunch I will take a shower, clean the house, do laundry, etc. Tuesdays & Thursdays I will shower as soon as we get home from the gym....Wed and Fri I may not shower until after lunch!

Our afternoons look similar to our mornings...after nap he will watch some tv or just play with his toys. I will prep dinner, or at least leave instructions for DH. I have to be at work by 5p, so I'm usually heading out the door as soon as he is walking in.

Some days are not productive AT ALL, and I feel like all we've done is sit around the house doing nothing all day. Other days we're running around everywhere doing everything that I don't remember where the day went!! It's all different from one day to the next!

October 9th, 2012, 06:58 PM
** Mandy **
- 5:15am DH's alarm goes off. I'm sometimes awake naturally at this time but I don't get out of bed and usually fall back asleep at some point.
- Wake up sometime in the 7 o'clock hour. Samantha is usually already awake but quietly hanging out in her bed. If she isn't yet up I sneak in a shower.
- Ally usually wakes up a few minutes later and comes out of her room to find us.
- I change Samantha's diaper and give Ally a few minutes to really wake up before I give her the choices for breakfast and start making it.
- Kids eat breakfast while I prepare Ally's lunch for school. Sometimes I squeeze breakfast in for myself.
- Everyone gets dressed, brushes teeth, uses the restroom
- Hang out until it is time to leave to take Ally to school
- Leave to take Ally to school around 8:50am. The school is close so it doesn't take long.
- Samantha and I either go to the grocery, to library story time, or come home depending on the day. If coming straight home this is when I have breakfast.
- Play time with Samantha while I squeeze in some chores in between.
- Lunch time around 11:30am.
- Samantha usually takes her nap around 12:30am. For the hour and a half to two hours she naps I do chores and usually either watch a tv show, have computer time, read, etc. - sometimes this is my time to take a shower.
- Samantha wakes up and normally wants a snack. We play for a while before it is time to go pick up Ally. Sometimes have bath time for Samantha during this time.
- Around 3:30pm or just before we go pick up Ally.
- Sometimes go to the park or the library or just come straight home and play outside if it is nice.
- Prepare dinner and eat
- Homework time for Ally
- Shower time for Ally
- Free play time for Ally (and Samantha) - Ally really likes to watch movies so sometimes she does that.
- Samantha's bed time varies depending on how tired she seems - sometimes as early as 7pm, sometimes as late as 8pm. It is best to get Ally headed to bed around 7:45pm. Before the bed time routine it is clean up time where we all pitch in to clean up all the clutter the girls have made with their toys, art supplies, etc.
Bedtime routine consists of potty\diaper change, brushing teeth, and reading.
DH is usually home around this time and often does the bedtime routine with one of the girls while I do the other - we switch so each girl gets equal daddy time.
- DH then usually eats dinner and we catch up
- Then down time for DH and I where we either watch tv, have computer time, sometimes I prepare grocery lists and cut coupons, read, etc... whatever we feel like doing.
- Lights out usually around 10pm

October 10th, 2012, 05:29 AM
Babymakes8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Our days vary, depending on what we need to accomplish that day.

5 am DD1 gets up and gets ready for school. (We don't usually get up with her since she's 13 and gets herself taken care of and out the door)

6 am DD brings Squeakers (who shares a room with her big sis) to our bed, nurse Squeakers for 30 minutes, get up, change her diaper, get breakfast for Squeakers and DD1. Play online.

7 am Boys wake up and start getting ready for school. DD1 goes out to catch the bus. Breakfast for the boys, coffee for me and DH, I might grab my shower (if DH is up sometimes he doesn't get up until 8 am depending on how his back feels). I also sign the boys homework planners.

8:30 am boys go out to catch the bus.

8:30 - 9 am I check farm emails, FB, and play on JM.

Then the rest of the day varies. Squeakers doesn't always take a morning nap, but will in the afternoon. DS4 barely naps at all, and when he does, it's usually afternoon.

Depending on the day, I'll either spend the day cleaning or baking for the sale. DD1 gets home around 3 pm if she doesn't have practice. If she has practice we pick her up at 3:30 pm and the boys get home at 4 pm.

4-5pm is homework and farm chores.

6-7 pm is dinner

7-8 pm is cleaning up after dinner, getting ready for bed, brushing teeth, etc and all kids in bed by 8 pm except Squeakers who doesn't go down until 9 pm.

9-11 pm play online or watch a movie with DH or soak in the bath while reading a book, and then bed.

edited to add: On Mondays this is different, because we leave the house as soon as boys are on their way to school to deliver the baked goods to the sale, then we run errands in town if needed so we can make the trip count (get groceries, etc). Sometimes on Fridays we pick the kids up straight from school to take baked items to a different sale, where I usually have standing orders to deliver.

Last edited by Babymakes8; October 10th, 2012 at 05:32 AM.

Tags
sahmchallenge

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search