Feeding the kids

Forum: Stay At Home Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By joonzgurl

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Stay At Home Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 12th, 2013, 02:28 PM
RobinX02's Avatar Crazy mom of 3!
How often during the day do you feed the kids?

I do breakfast, usually cereal or yogurt, sometimes both.

Lunch- sandwich, hot dogs, nuggets and chips. it varies daily

Snack- cheese stick, orange, dry cereal, etc, something small

Dinner- sometimes its what we have, sometimes its hotdogs, nuggets, etc.

Between lunch & Dinner the kids are screaming they are hungry. I give them a snack. They are hungry. We dont have the food to just snack all day long. Is it cause they are board? What is it? I always tell them they have to wait till their dad gets home from work so I can cook dinner. How do I handle the constant "Im hungry!" My 3 yr old is doing it now and its wearing on my patience!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
Thanks *Kiliki* for my siggy
January 12th, 2013, 03:14 PM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
Maybe they are not getting enough protein or complex carbs to fill them up? Our nutritionist has told us that snacks should be at least 2 food groups and meals should be all 4 (dairy, protein, carb and fruit or veg). I would try giving an afternoon snack like cheese and fruit or hard boiled egg and veggies, apple and peanut butter. That might keep them fuller.

Here are some if the things Avery eats

I do breakfast: cereal with milk, fruit or oatmeal milk and fruit, cheese

Morning snack: banana and granola bar, yogurt and fruit, cheese and crackers

Lunch: grilled cheese with tomato, yogurt, avocado with left over spaghetti, Annie's Mac n cheese with fruit and chicken pieces

Snack: apple and pb, same things as morning

Supper: whatever we are eating

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)
January 12th, 2013, 04:07 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
We have the same thing here, and honestly, I think it's boredom/habit for my kids.

Breakfast: Egg and toast, cereal, fruit and yogurt, waffles, etc.

Snack: Cheese and crackers, fresh fruit, carrot sticks, cucumber slices, yogurt, etc.

Lunch: Soup, leftovers, sandwiches, etc.

Snack: same as above.

Dinner: Generally whatever we're having.

Sometimes before bed they'll have toast or fruit, if we had an early supper.
January 12th, 2013, 05:05 PM
TreeTog's Avatar Love is in the Air!
When Ryan is home from school we do 3 meals and 3 snacks. If they are hungry, I give them more.

Leslie

January 12th, 2013, 05:21 PM
*Kiliki*'s Avatar i have absolute power
i'd probably give them a little more with breakfast...maybe some fruit and toast with their cereal? i personally think breakfast is the most important and the meal you should have the most food on while dinner you should have the smallest portion...because you do not want to fill up too much before bed....or maybe move their snack to between breakfast and lunch and make it a little bit more than usual..something with protein in it...some granola or something

and i'd probably cut out the chips with lunch give them something more filling as a side...chips do not tend to fill you up they make you more hungry i think
Request Siggy Here SEE GALLERY HERE Request Banner Siggy Here

January 12th, 2013, 05:26 PM
RobinX02's Avatar Crazy mom of 3!
Thanks ladies! I do fruit when we have it. It goes by so fast and we dont live close to a store. You gave me ideas though. Just need to give them more at a time. I did give in and made them little biscuits to hold them over till dinner.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
Thanks *Kiliki* for my siggy
January 12th, 2013, 07:26 PM
i:heart:you's Avatar Super Moderator
My kids are always hungry!! I give them breakfast..usually cereal, pancakes, waffles and fruit, with oj or milk. Lunch is pb sandwich with fruit, grilled cheese with fruit, nuggets, hot dog all with carrots sticks or fruit. Dinner is what ever we are having. I give them a snack in between both meals as well, yogurt, nuts, applesauce, fruit, goldfish and

**Thank you Bokkechick for my awesome siggy**
January 12th, 2013, 08:00 PM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
Fruit cups and canned fruit are also ideas since you don't live very close to the store . I need to start doing that!
i:heart:you likes this.

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)
January 12th, 2013, 08:09 PM
i:heart:you's Avatar Super Moderator
I use fruit cups a lot, the ones with no sugar added. My kids love them and you can usually get them on sale. Tommy loves the oranges.

**Thank you Bokkechick for my awesome siggy**
January 12th, 2013, 11:34 PM
acupofjoe's Avatar Proud mama of three!
Send a message via Yahoo to acupofjoe
3 meals a day and one snack.

Breakfast is almost always steel cut oats with fruit, cold cereal or just fruit. Sometimes yogurt but I like to save those for snacks.

Snack: yogurt with granola, some mixed berries like blueberries/strawberries or raspberries. Whatever I buy that week. Sometimes a cookie we have made (rare) pudding cup, string cheese, couple crackers, popcorn and sometimes very rarely I will let them have a graham cracker cut into 4 with some vanilla frosting. They like to spread it on there so its kind of a treat/activity all in one hha. DD takes snack to school and its usually a gogurt tube or one of the ones listed above.

Lunch is always something quick like sandwich with chips, mac and cheese, leftovers from night before, fruit/ veggie and chunks of grilled meat like chicken breast.

Dinner is usually something in the crock pot or out of the oven. Casseroles, salad with pizza, different kind of meat/veggie like chicken and broccoli, nachos once in awhile, tacos, big salads with all the fixins, grilled meat with side of rice or some sort of noodle bake. Really depends on what time I am working that day and if its DH or myself cooking.

Another good snack we love here is hard boiled eggs and my kids LOVE apples.
January 13th, 2013, 12:23 AM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
The hotdogs and nuggets most likely have msg in it and will make them crave more food. I would really try and stay away from any processed food. Also, becareful of the yougurt. Most also have sugar and all kinds of stuff not good. IMO greek yogurt is the best idea and then add what you want. My kids eat it plain.

If you dont have a store and money is an issue then I like the idea of PB. as long again its not full of sugar. Popcorn is good. Make whole wheat pancakes rather than that boxed stuff. Make Hummos. Its so cheap and you can keep cans of garbonzo beans. Keep pasta in stock and whip some up for lunch along with a veggie. theres so many different ways to make it, and the kids and help to keep them busy and not bored.
Jello ( homemade ) is fun and easy to make and fun for kids. Oatmeal is awesome. Use the quick cooking ones and its litterally minutes for breakfast or snack and you can do it many ways, including making it into a soup and you could then add vermicelli and make it really yummy and good for the kids...

There are alot of ways to keeep kids full, healthy and busy...I really hope some of our suggestions help ..I totally understand the challenges and know that it can hard to keep up sometimes with the young ones...Good luck with it all.
January 13th, 2013, 03:02 AM
TheOnlyPink's Avatar .... In a house of blue!
My kids are very much little and often. Not so much jake any more, cos he is bigger now, but harry is 13 months and growing so fast, but doesnt have a very big stomach, so he eats 3 meals and 3 snacks.

Breakfast: Small bowl of oatmeal and fruit (its always dried fruit at the end of the week, higher in sugar, but i only give a little), 1 slice of toast and a cup of milk

Snack: Jake has a fruit puree and a yogurt tube, harry will have some cheese cubes and some blueberries or a yogurt and fruit puree too.

Lunch: Jake has a mini bagel/sandwich/mini wrap/english muffin with chicken/ham/turkey. Harry will have some scrambled eggs and veg, wraps, homemade quiche, omellette, beans on toast, whatever i am having.

Snack: When jake gets home from school they get something like a scone and pb, a veggie muffin (have the recipe if you'd like!), some malt loaf and butter, or some fruit and greek yogurt and chia seed dip.

Dinner: whatever we are having. cottage pie, singapore noodles, pasta bake, chicken and potatoes etc.

Snack before bed: Some homemade custard or rice pudding usually.

that sounds like a lot of food for children, but the portions are small and i find it helps with harrys mood to eat often and it helps with jakes concentration for school work.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search