Can't imagine why these dogs....

Forum: Stay At Home Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Stay At Home Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 29th, 2013, 09:14 AM
*Kiliki*'s Avatar i have absolute power
cannot get adopted when you see fees up in the 200-300 dollar range!!! I would love to adopt a dog..but I cannot just drop 200 dollars in one fell swoop....ugh! annoying...rant over....

*Kristy wife to Karl, mom to Raianna(13) Elyse(11) and Helena(6) stepmom to Frankie(16)*
click me!---> Come Join us at Stay At Home Mommies!!! <---click me!
click me!---> Come Join us at Mommy Weightloss and Fitness!!! <---click me!
Request Siggy Here SEE GALLERY HERE Request Banner Siggy Here

January 29th, 2013, 09:22 AM
babyloves2dance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm guessing they are trying to re-coup costs for food, vaccinations, and labor. But that is nuts.

Missing our angel since February 17, 2009

Come join us!! Click on the blinkies below to follow me there!

January 29th, 2013, 09:57 AM
I know but I would like to have money to buy food for the dog too! sheesh!!

*Kristy wife to Karl, mom to Raianna(13) Elyse(11) and Helena(6) stepmom to Frankie(16)*

January 29th, 2013, 10:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
yeah, its insane..

January 29th, 2013, 10:37 AM
Mega Super Mommy
That is crazy expensive. Hopefully you can find something cheaper.
January 29th, 2013, 10:49 AM
~mommy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Not to mention frequently they want character references and to do a home study.
Try the pound or craigslist.
January 29th, 2013, 12:46 PM
we do not have any pounds around here...just the humane society and shelters....they are building a new humane society though...that should be up and running this summer....but I am gonna keep looking!

January 29th, 2013, 01:39 PM
i:heart:you's Avatar Super Moderator
It's ridiculous.

**Thank you Bokkechick for my awesome siggy**
January 29th, 2013, 04:45 PM
RobinX02's Avatar Crazy mom of 3!
Ugh one time I was doing a good deed by catching 2 baby kittens outside of DH's parents house and taking them into the Humane Society. The slapped me with a bunch of fees for dropping them off. I was like, I could have just left them to get ran over or eaten by coyotes.. But they didnt seem to care. I told them it would be the last time I brought an animal in to them...

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
Thanks *Kiliki* for my siggy
January 29th, 2013, 05:14 PM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
Are they breeder dogs or show dogs? that is alot of money. Is there anyway around it?
January 29th, 2013, 10:27 PM
acupofjoe's Avatar Proud mama of three!
Send a message via Yahoo to acupofjoe
I always wonder that to..I know they dont want them to just go to anyone but some of the prices are crazy.
January 30th, 2013, 05:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinX02 View Post
Ugh one time I was doing a good deed by catching 2 baby kittens outside of DH's parents house and taking them into the Humane Society. The slapped me with a bunch of fees for dropping them off. I was like, I could have just left them to get ran over or eaten by coyotes.. But they didnt seem to care. I told them it would be the last time I brought an animal in to them...

I understand why the do the fees for that....they need the money to take care of them....but still its hard trying to do the right thing when the price is so high! They wonder why all these pets are just left on the street cause people can't afford to just drop them off!! but on the flip side if more people would donate then they wouldn't have fees so high I am sure....its a loose-loose type of thing....ya know?

January 30th, 2013, 06:11 AM
Veteran
Even our Craigslist has ones where they request a $100+ "rehoming" fee sometimes. Not a shelter, just people looking to get rid of the dog.

SAHM to Mercedes (4/8/05)
January 30th, 2013, 10:40 AM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
Isn't that insane? We went to adopt a dog a couple years ago and went to the shelter, we wanted a small-medium/small dog. They wouldn't let us adopt one, because we had small children in the home we only "qualified" for a large breed - the one dog she showed us that she felt "fit our family" wanted to rip our heads off! I was like, you are crazy lady no way. Then we watched CL and people wanted $200-$500 for little dogs. One lady made me an offer of $130 and I was like, ok yeah and then she emailed me back and said "I changed my mind, I want $300" and I was like well keep your dog then lol. We have a cat now, she wasn't planned, she showed up as a stray at DH's work and no one wanted her and since she wasn't a tiny kitten he figured she'd end up being put down so he brought her home. Free works for me lol. The kids still want a dog but now we don't have a fenced yard so it has to wait.

Facebook
January 30th, 2013, 11:21 AM
Yeah I have NEVER bought a dog...all mine were rescues of sorts lmao.....well people didnt want them (minus tank that is he was a purebred from my moms 2 dogs) but Like cali and callie? their owners either didnt want them or needed to get rid of them so i got them

ohh and what gets me the most is them wanting you to pay for a dog they are going to put down soon..seriously if you are gonna kill the **** dog anyways just GIVE the dog away to someone who wants it

January 30th, 2013, 02:00 PM
RobinX02's Avatar Crazy mom of 3!
What gets me is a lot of the small dogs they are asking $250+ for are not pure breds! They are these mixed breed dogs. Yeah, they arnt supposed to shed as much and be hypoallergenic... But DANG thats a lot for a mutt!

But I dont have room to talk.... Our little dog is a Cocker spaniel, Lhasa Apso, Poodle mix and I paid $100 for her. What a PITA she is!! lol I was buying a replacement dog because I had put down my 13 yr old dog and was trying to fill that hole... I should have waited longer.. Oh well. She is still a good dog, sometimes..

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
Thanks *Kiliki* for my siggy
January 31st, 2013, 01:47 PM
yeah I have a hard time shelling out money for a rescue....I want to but sheesh.....and omg I know the prices of those little things! UGH!!! Not that I would want a little dog like that...the smallest I'll go is beagle size LOL

January 31st, 2013, 05:06 PM
Eowyn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think the fee is to not only go toward upkeep of the shelter and the care of its animals but also to cover the expenses of
initial vet costs given to the pet before its rehomed:

Vet exam, spaying and neutering, distemper shots, rabies vax, heartworm etc etc.

It's cheaper to adopt from a shelter by paying a couple hundred bucks then pay for a 50$ dog and have to get all that done on your own dime.

I remember calling to adopt a beagle from a rescue place but they would not consider me as an applicant because we didnt have a fenced in yard-
Even though we had acres! and I was home all day to care for it and free to take it for long walks. nope! not good enough!
Such a shame they dont make exceptions when there are so many dogs who need homes.
February 1st, 2013, 05:01 AM
I know! Makes me sad that they have so many rules on these poor dogs....I can get some of them but just because you do not have a fenced in yard??? sheesh!!! Like you we live on an acreage so I have PLENTY of space, and home all day to spend time and watch the dog outside....not that I'd ever let the dog out without being on a lead!

February 1st, 2013, 07:41 AM
Eowyn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I dont see the deal with needing a yard-A dog needs to be WALKED. running in circles in a yard-no matter how big is not enough for any dog.
*Kiliki* likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search