cleaning kids room

Forum: Stay At Home Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By joeysmomma
  • 1 Post By babyloves2dance
  • 2 Post By ~mommy~
  • 1 Post By Eowyn

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Stay At Home Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 29th, 2013, 12:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My kids are 4 and 2.8, they used to be really good at cleaning up their stuff but lately it has been awfull. They made a mess of their room and wont clean it up. I told them they cant leave their room until they put their stuff away except 2 hours later they are still in their room and it is still not clean. Any suggestions? I feel like this cleaning up battle is going to be the end of me.
January 29th, 2013, 01:01 PM
joeysmomma
If my son does not clean up after himself, he loses whatever he leaves out.
I also try and encourage him to clean up daily so it doesn't get overwhelming.
acupofjoe likes this.
January 29th, 2013, 01:40 PM
babyloves2dance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
There was a post earlier on this board about a ransom box. If the kids don't pick up their toys then they go in the ransom box and they have to do other chores to get them back. Here is the link to that thread: http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1...ir-things.html (Love this idea to get my kids to clean up their things....)

Then over on the Housekeeping Board I posted an article about tricking yourself into cleaning and one of the members replied that she turns cleaning into a game for her kids. She used the example "pick up 5 things and put them away as you crab walk, then pick up 5 things as you walk backward". Here is a link to that thread: http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1...ing-trick.html (Article of the week 12/31/12 - A Cleaning Trick)

These are both things I want to try. My DD gets super whiny when we ask her to pick up her room for the day and my DS only picks up if you help him right now.

Missing our angel since February 17, 2009

Come join us!! Click on the blinkies below to follow me there!

January 29th, 2013, 01:42 PM
i:heart:you's Avatar Super Moderator
I love the game idea Kelsey.

I too always have an issue with getting my kids to clean up their stuff. I end up doing it myself and it gets frustrating.

**Thank you Bokkechick for my awesome siggy**
January 29th, 2013, 01:53 PM
babyloves2dance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Another game (I just thought of) you could try is turning it into a race. Have them race each other or time yourself on how long it takes to pick up their room and then have them try to beat your time. Or make a poster and keep track of their times...see if they can beat yesterday's time.
acupofjoe likes this.

Missing our angel since February 17, 2009

Come join us!! Click on the blinkies below to follow me there!

January 29th, 2013, 02:02 PM
*Kiliki*'s Avatar i have absolute power
I agree with the taking away the toys that are left on the floor...and also maybe a sticker chart...every time they clean up they get a sticker to earn towards something they would like....

*Kristy wife to Karl, mom to Raianna(13) Elyse(11) and Helena(6) stepmom to Frankie(16)*
click me!---> Come Join us at Stay At Home Mommies!!! <---click me!
click me!---> Come Join us at Mommy Weightloss and Fitness!!! <---click me!
Request Siggy Here SEE GALLERY HERE Request Banner Siggy Here

January 29th, 2013, 02:19 PM
~mommy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What I do when something needs to be done is wait for them to ask me to do something, for instance, go outside, play a game etc. then I say as soon as you "fill in the blank"
acupofjoe and *Kiliki* like this.
January 29th, 2013, 02:27 PM
Amaranth Dhanya's Avatar aka Hillarie
Send a message via Yahoo to Amaranth Dhanya
They clean up every night before bed.
If they dont then they get a priviledge taken away.

~My thanks to *Kiliki* for the siggy and Lucy S for the blinkies~
January 29th, 2013, 04:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to rancherandcitygal
I have done the locking in their room until it's cleaned up thing because I know that if I give in they know that they just have to wait it out and then mom will clean. I have also taken toys away and that has worked too.

I might suggest that you remove some of the toys permanently or do a goodwill run. I think sometimes that many kids just have too many toys in general and just pull them out and make a mess just cause there are toys in the room. Once we did a big toy edit and put some in garage and some gone for good the cleaning issues were reduced.

January 29th, 2013, 05:21 PM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
I totally agree with the race game! That really works well with my young ones. even my 3 yr old. They also work for stars on their reward chart. Of course there days ( sometimes too many lool ) that they just are stubborn about it.
January 29th, 2013, 05:38 PM
Eowyn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I often will tell them it's time to clean up their rooms-usually before bedtime or before dinner- My 3 year old still needs help and I just go in there and help him know where his things should go and how the room should look to be considered " tidy." Soon he will be able to do a good job without me or DH having to oversee the job.
If I see my six year olds room messy I ask her to clean up and she says 'ok mom'.
she's not always happy to have to do it, but she knows it's her responsibility to tidy her own things.

I would not leave them to play or use threats of takings toys away. Kids often have so many toys they will hardly miss a few -especially ones they care so little about they are left strewn about without a care.-I would outlast them- stay with them and not allow them to do anything else until they do as theyve been asked. It will get very boring for them standing there not allowed to do anything else and trust me, you will last longer than they will. Put your mind to sticking to following through with it.
To older kids explain why its important to keep their spaces clean or why this is their job or a family rule etc..."because I told you to" never helps any situation :S
Even if theyre not happy about doing it they should be aware of why its important.
acupofjoe likes this.
January 29th, 2013, 10:07 PM
acupofjoe's Avatar Proud mama of three!
Send a message via Yahoo to acupofjoe
IMO that is plenty old enough to clean up their own stuff. I personally would tell them I am setting a timer and it needs to be done by the time it goes off (45 min or so) and if its not I am taking this trash bag (show them the bag) and putting everything on the floor in it and throwing it away.
January 30th, 2013, 08:38 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thank you ladies! These are all great ideas. Hopefully this weeks cleaning goes.better.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search