Cutting down your grocery bill..

Forum: Stay At Home Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By *Kiliki*

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Stay At Home Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 5th, 2013, 09:49 AM
i:heart:you's Avatar Super Moderator
what tips do you use to keep your grocery bill down? I've been spending way to much lately, it seems like every thing is so expensive. I've been spending over 180.00 a week consistently for a few months now for a family of 4, I need some tips. What is your average weekly grocery bill? Your family size?

**Thank you Bokkechick for my awesome siggy**
March 5th, 2013, 09:57 AM
*Kiliki*'s Avatar i have absolute power
the biggest thing I do is meal plan...that alone cut 50 bucks out of my grocery bill each time I go...because I do not just grab whatever I make a list of things I need and I stick to the list...I look for sales...and shop off brand cept for a few things (like miracle whip and peanut butter must be brand name LOL)

ohh and I have been making my own bread at home so that saves about 6-10 bucks in bread each month
AmiraX4 likes this.

Kristy, wife to Karl 6.16.01, Mom to Raianna 12.7.00, Elyse 12.3.02 and Helena 7.20.07, step-mom to Frankie 7.3.97 and step-grandma to October 3.9.15

March 5th, 2013, 10:49 AM
Veteran
We buy a lot of our meat, eggs, and milk from a farmer friend. We're planning on joining a veggie/fruit CSA this month.
I don't know that we'll be saving a lot of money, but I personally prefer to cut back in other areas and pay more for "good" foods.

Depending on the area, it might be cheaper to get veggies/fruits from a CSA than buying from the store. Could be worth looking into...
March 5th, 2013, 11:45 AM
Amaranth Dhanya's Avatar aka Hillarie
Send a message via Yahoo to Amaranth Dhanya
Coupons, if applicable.

We also dont do name brand(unless they are cheaper) and if the store is doing 10 for 10 type deals I do as many as possible.
With the prices going up all the time its soooo hard for me not to spend more than I care to and I always feel guilty about it even tho I know I did the best I could LOL.

I also shop on Wednesdays because two stores nearby have milk on sale($1.98/gal) and once we get our small deep freezer back we'll be stocking up more so the things like bread, veggies, cheese that we may go through more often can be frozen. That will cut monthly costs as well.

~My thanks to *Kiliki* for the siggy and Lucy S for the blinkies~
March 5th, 2013, 01:00 PM
UniqueHandle's Avatar Veteran
I have a family of 5. I cook 5/6 nights a week. I make breakfast and lunch daily. I usually spend $180 a week on everything.... groceries, paper goods, laundry and cleaning supplies, etc. I shop at our Super Walmart... even though I hate it... but it is cheaper than Target and our local grocery stores... I won't shop at Aldi and I think Walmart is the next cheapest.

My awesome sig was made by *Kiliki*
March 5th, 2013, 01:03 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Family of 9, our monthly grocery bill is more than our mortgage. I am NOT joking. We homeschool so kids are all home for every meal. At home: lots of vegetarian meals (beans and rice kind of stuff), cooking from scratch instead of boxed dinners, planning ahead to use leftovers (like a "free" meal). I save bones and leftover meat to make real soups. We also garden when we can, which up here (zone 3) means about four months of the year unless I build a greenhouse! We keep chickens for eggs, but it's getting just about to where feeding the chickens is more expensive than buying eggs would be. Such a shame.

At the store: have a list, always! buy generic, compare unit prices on stuff that will store. I never buy snacks in bulk, though, because that just means the children will eat in bulk. I also avoid stocking up on produce, no matter how good the deal, because the stuff just doesn't keep as long. Dairy, including milk, can be frozen if you find a good deal and have space. Don't shop when you are hungry, distracted, too tired, pissed, etc. (Mother's are almost always at least one of these, but I still think it's a good tip.) If you can't shop alone, train your child(ren) from the beginning how to behave well and that you will NOT buy anything they ask for. It's more work initially but pays off in the long run.

One more... figuring out what you don't need saves a lot! For example, getting cheaper junk food doesn't save as much money as not buying it in the first place!

Robert: 20 Raechel: 18 Daniel: 15 Joseph: 13 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 7 Lucy Marie: 5 John Anthony: 2 AND Baby due Dec. 2015

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w); Francis (7-4-12 @12w); Charlie (1-19-15 @ 6w)

Congratulations Raechel and Kaleb, married May, 2015

March 5th, 2013, 02:05 PM
Veteran
Kristy, where do you shop?

I find what helps me the most is paying attention to the best prices of stuff at different stores. I also coupon when I can get a deal and stockpile to an extent. I used to have a great one, but ended up eating through most of it before we moved. I go to aldi's every few months and stock up on can goods and stuff for DD's lunch. I usually only buy meat at foodtown when they have their 5/$20ish sale. If you have a larger freezer, sometimes you can get good prices on bulk meat at mainesource in Forty Fort. The produce is sometimes a good price there as well.

We are a family of 3 and spend around $300/ month on food only. (Yes, it is low but I can't afford to spend more right now.) Occasionally a bit more if I have the extra and find a good sale. Plus an additional $30/month on dog stuff and $10-50 on household stuff, depending on what I need.

SAHM to Mercedes (4/8/05)
March 5th, 2013, 07:14 PM
TreeTog's Avatar Love is in the Air!
We use coupons and shop the sales. We also go to more than one store if necessary. We spend $100 a week for 4 people. The kids are on special diets due to allergies.

Leslie

March 6th, 2013, 12:13 AM
acupofjoe's Avatar Proud mama of three!
Send a message via Yahoo to acupofjoe
Meal plan and I want my family to eat healthy foods 95% of the time so it is not cheap no matter what because there are never coupons out for veggies/fruits/raw/organic items it seems...at least not around here there are none. We spend about 600 a month a groceries and it sucks but what can ya do?? I try to buy whats on sale and only buy fruits/veggies as needed so none go to waste. We shop at costco twice a month in bulk (milk, eggs, bread, etc) I make some breads and dinner rolls myself homemade. I dont buy any prefrozen/premade things that often.
March 6th, 2013, 12:18 AM
acupofjoe's Avatar Proud mama of three!
Send a message via Yahoo to acupofjoe
Oh and we are a family of five...I shop at haggen or safeway. I also spend around 200 a month on cleaning supplies, wipes, diapers, TP etc.
March 6th, 2013, 05:26 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Meal planning help me really cut down, I shop at Aldis for most of the stuff then whatever I still need I get off brand at wal mart, I sometimes shop for my meat at Albertsons if I know they'll have the buy one get two free meat deals which are awesome!

March 6th, 2013, 06:05 AM
youngwoman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Meal planning and shopping the sales has worked for us. I check the sales flyers and often make my weekly menu based on what's on sale and what we may already have. I use the occasional coupon but mostly buy generic unless it's a must-have. We're a family of 3 and I spend $75-100 per week. Prices have certainly gone up in the last few years though; it's getting harder.

March 6th, 2013, 07:20 AM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
Honestly I have found that only buying fresh foods and nothing from the centre isles (except pasta, rice, canned tomatos and beans) has really reduced our grocery bill.

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)
March 6th, 2013, 08:50 AM
MidgeMadge's Avatar Queen Turd. Bow down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joonzgurl View Post
Honestly I have found that only buying fresh foods and nothing from the centre isles (except pasta, rice, canned tomatos and beans) has really reduced our grocery bill.
This is a good tip, and a lot of how my shopping is. I have a $125 budget a week (for 3 of us) and the high majority is spent in the first "aisle" (section? lol.. the fruits and veggies) and the last aisle (dairy.. yogurt, milk, eggs, cheese, etc). By the time I'm out of the produce, I have already spent almost $50. The next $20 is meat (lots of chicken) and the dairy is probably $30. Which means the "middle aisles" is only $25 (canned tomatoes, pasta, some frozen stuff, bread, PB, etc). The stuff on the perimeter of the store is much healthier, too.

I meal plan 100% of the time, have never ever skipped a week. THAT helps. And not adding random things to the cart REALLY helps, I stick to my list.

March 6th, 2013, 10:12 AM
Cassie.S's Avatar Proud Mommy!
I really need to be better at this. I meal plan yet we still spend close to $100/week for the two of us at Walmart. That's not just groceries, though.

Cassie, wife to Andrew, mommy to Sophia and Landon!

{Our family blog}

March 6th, 2013, 11:31 AM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
THis is a hard one for everyone! I try and make sure i use a list. I try to always meal plan. I also buy lots of fruits and veggies and sometimes for some of those the best way is costco. I make things like sauces and pizza dough ect by scratch. No processed foods boxed or frozen.

I think really studying what the family eats and then adjusting helps. Im sure theres other ideas my sick, congested head is to stuffy to gather my thougghts
March 6th, 2013, 03:18 PM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
I always make a meal plan on Thursdays then shop Friday - lately that's been Saturday and Sunday due to being short a car. I plan meals for 7 days, although we usually eat out once or twice a week (I'd like to cut that back but easier said than done). I shop at Aldi's, walmart and Publix. I love Aldi's prices but you have to be careful there because some of their food is... cheap for a reason. I bought some Parmesan cheese there and wow, it was just loaded with salt and after reading the container it said added salt, ick. Their yogurt has HFCS so I buy that elsewhere. We get any canned goods we need there (beans and tomato products are something we go through a lot of), rice, frozen veggies and then ours often has local produce so I buy that there when they have it. Walmart is where I go next for anything I don't or couldn't get at aldi's and then my last stop is Publix for any weird items the other two didn't carry and meat. I usually spent around $150-$180 a week to feed a family of 6. That includes lunches for my older two in school (they don't like school food). I have really tried to bring our grocery bill down but it's just doesn't seem possible no matter how hard I try! I coupon when I can but I usually don't find coupons on things we buy (mainly off brands) and you don't see coupons on produce or meat very often and we just don't do a lot of packaged foods.

The one thing I do though is buy my meats in bulk when they're on sale, if I can find ground beef cheap I'll buy 10-15 lbs and take it home and measure & package it into 1 and 1 1/2lb servings and then I won't need to buy anymore for a month! I do the same with chicken, beef ect - anything on sale!

Last edited by Momof4Boyz; March 6th, 2013 at 03:21 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search