how much would you spend?

Forum: Stay At Home Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bcogoli

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Stay At Home Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 7th, 2013, 04:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have been buying so much stuff to redo my kids rooms and set up the nursery. I was just wondering how much your all willing to pay for bedding, decorations and accesories for your kids rooms and what items are you willing to pay extra for to get better quality?
March 7th, 2013, 05:33 PM
*Kiliki*'s Avatar i have absolute power
well I never spent that much for my kids when they were babies...cause honestly they never knew what kind of bedding they had...now that they are older (5 and up) I'd be willing to spend up to 50 on bedding for them
Request Siggy Here SEE GALLERY HERE Request Banner Siggy Here

March 7th, 2013, 06:13 PM
Veteran
I have never spent much on decorations or things like that. DD got "big girl" bedding last year for Christmas. She was 6. I got this set of bedding which was $100 when I bought it. It came with the comforters, 3 throw pillows and a sham cover. It has held up better then any other bedding I have owned, with the exception of the dog chewing the "fur" off the one pillow. Well worth the cost.

Velvet Crush Comforter Set - jcpenney

SAHM to Mercedes (4/8/05)
March 7th, 2013, 06:29 PM
acupofjoe's Avatar Proud mama of three!
Send a message via Yahoo to acupofjoe
I would spend between 400 to 800 depending on what all exactly was bought...If it was 800 I would expect to be buying new bed set,stuff for walls, paint, organizing storage, things for closets etc. Like go all out...obviously lower end of 400 would probably only get a bedset and a couple things for the wall probably..maby one or two organizer things if lucky and if everything was bought on discount sales.
March 8th, 2013, 04:25 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks ladies! I ordered 3 blankets ( one for each child), 2 big pillows for the older 2, wall decals for the girls and it cost about 100. I still need new sheets for all 3 kids and storage stuff. Im hoping to only spend about another 100 or so. I may take acupofjoe's route and spend extra on some good storage stuff.
March 8th, 2013, 05:05 AM
Amaranth Dhanya's Avatar aka Hillarie
Send a message via Yahoo to Amaranth Dhanya
Id pay under $30 for bedding.
Id pay about the same for decor but Id probably get crafty for that and do it all myself.
Not sure on going rates for paint but Id keep it under that same price too if possible.
Id go to secondhand stores for furniture first and then probably Walmart or the like for it if the secondhand stores had nothing.

I have to stay tight with anything I do and I also see no need to go all out and spendy on items that will probably change in 5 yrs or less or that will get ruined somehow in that same time period.

I live in an apartment so I cant paint or put up much but thats what Id keep my spending at if it were doable. And the prices I mentioned would be per child and I have 3 so its still under $100 each.

~My thanks to *Kiliki* for the siggy and Lucy S for the blinkies~
March 8th, 2013, 06:15 AM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
I probably wouldn't spend much over $50 on bedding, with that said my kids are ALL into minecraft and I found minecraft blankets and they were selling for $150 each - they're not getting them lol. But I did give grandma a heads up that I wanted to make them some for Easter and she's making them (she's a blanket pro!). Decorations and things like that maybe another $100? I don't know, my kids kind of do their own thing. My son has posters he's bought up and he has a wall dedicated to his awards from school. Then they're into minecraft so anything decorative with that I basically have to make because it's hard to find. Furniture wise, I can't put a price on that kind of thing, we make everything - beds and desks ect so they're built to last, custom and cost us next to nothing!

Facebook
March 8th, 2013, 08:48 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I spent 60 on Audrey's bedding and it came with a lot, diaper holder,three wall decor things, valance, sheet,blanket, mobile, bumper.. and she'll keep that bedding until she's older and wants to re do her room. I picked up other things at hobby lobby and goodwill once she had a bigger room. I just re did my stepkids room and got their wall stuff from the ROSS and Goodwill, got them new sheets for 7$ at wal mart on sale and got them a thin fleece blanket for 2.50 at wal mart . and a new toy box for 5$.

March 8th, 2013, 10:00 AM
mom2more's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have spent probably about $150 per kid redoing my kids rooms, but I made sure that what I was putting in there was not something they were not going to hate in a year or two. We did them all a few years ago and don't plan on redoing them again. Their rooms aren't really a theme, they are more patterns/colors they like. So they won't become too babyish.

I got the bedding stuff for my boys at Marshalls and it was a great deal. I also got some good deals on knick knacks and decorations at Home Goods and thrift stores.

For my daughters room we redid it around her birthday and when family asked what she wanted she told them she was redoing her room and she went online and found decorations she wanted that would match and e-mailed the links to everyone. It worked out great!

My sister(who is very crafty) bought some stuff at Michaels crafts and made wooden letters and a jewelry box and painted them to match the pattern in my daughters room and gave them to her for her birthday.

When I set up my youngest ones nursery I went with a children's book theme...I figure he will be about 2nd grade or so before he decides its too babyish. I painted a neutral color and put wall decals up so I can just take those down when he outgrows the theme. The shelves and picture frames I put up are all the same color so I can re-use them with whatever we do to his room in the future. We made the artwork decor. I had two of my kids paint pictures that went along with the book and I put those in the frames. I had my other child, who is great with name art, do a cool design with the baby's name and we put that into another frame.

Last edited by mom2more; March 8th, 2013 at 10:07 AM.
March 8th, 2013, 10:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Mom2more i love that idea for a nursery!!! I might have to steal that idea.
My DD wants hello kitty, my DS wants transformers but he is not allowed the violent stuff. And the baby and my DD are sharing a space so for now she is getting red and pink stuff to match hello kitty. She wants a reading corner in her room and my DS wants a lego table. Im going to make/build those add ins for them.

You ladies are all so creative with your decorating, i love it!
March 8th, 2013, 12:12 PM
mom2more's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Lots of cute pinterest ideas for reading corners. I saw a really cute idea using a hula hoop.
Google Image Result for http://media-cache-ec2.pinterest.com/upload/117164027775600051_TCOJS4jc_c.jpg

For homemade lego tables I have seen a ton where people just take an existing children's table and attach a few of those big green lego squares on top of it.

March 9th, 2013, 06:37 PM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
I am willing to spend more for quality.

If I were completely re-doing Avery's room (paint, decorations, bedding) I would be spending about $400 probably. If I were getting furniture too it would be much more.

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)
March 11th, 2013, 06:17 AM
youngwoman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We're just about done updating DD's room in time for her 5th birthday. We spent a pretty penny but we went all out and updated the floors (tore out the nasty carpet and put down wood), my DH installed a chair rail and crown molding, painted, and we also bought all new furniture (which is where we spent the most because we wanted great quality that will last until she moves out).

For the new bedding we spent about $150. I made a bow holder that cost nothing, thanks to gift cards to the hobby store. We still want to frame some pictures/art for her room, so maybe another $100 for decor.

March 11th, 2013, 10:00 AM
Mega Super Mommy
So i finaly finished the kids rooms, i got 3 kids new bedding, some decorations, i made a lego table and reading nook and got storage stuff for the baby. I think i did great on shopping around being creatvie, i got all that stuff for $300. Go me!!!
stresswife likes this.
March 12th, 2013, 11:33 AM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
woow.. you did reallllly well with that...How and Where???

seriously we just spent easily $1000 bucks on new bunk beds I think they were like $800, and then went to Target for what we thought would be cheap comforters..nope they each were $ 89.99!!! thats X3!! and it only included a pillow cover...insane!!

I'm not even close to be done with that room though.
March 13th, 2013, 06:02 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I found most of it on amazon and the rest at target. I made the reading nook and the lego table. It did take me a week of research to find the best deals but it was worth it.
March 13th, 2013, 12:02 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm not sure how much is too much, but I would pay more for better quality. Growing up my Mom bought us quilts from Pottery Barn Kids for our beds. They were pricey, but to this day they look great and have held up very, very well.
March 14th, 2013, 10:06 AM
i:heart:you's Avatar Super Moderator
I think 500.00 max on the whole room, bedding I don't spend more than 100.00, usually lower.

**Thank you Bokkechick for my awesome siggy**
March 14th, 2013, 11:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I may re do Audrey's room next year when we move, Princess theme'd if she wants it, I've found bedding for 40$ and wall decals for 20$ she already has a lot of "princess" stuff in her room so it won't be hard to match things.. plus her crib converts all the way to a full bed so she'll be keeping that bed until she either breaks it buys herself a new one. the one thing we'll probably have to really spend money on is buying her a dresser, right now she just has one of those pink plastic 3 drawer bins.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search