Splinters.... HELP!

Forum: Stay At Home Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RinkMom

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Stay At Home Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 25th, 2013, 10:59 AM
3OhioBoys's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Tis the season for kid to get splinters! What is the best way you have found to remove them? And how does your child handle it?

My two younger boys are fine for splinter removal but the oldest is a whole other story!!! It's like he is on his death bed being murdered by a pair of tweezers!!! HELP! How do I help to not freak out? Seriously, you can gently touch him and he thinks you are hurting him and screams and fights. I might have to video tape it sometime just so I can document how insane he becomes!

Forever remembering your smiling face.
April 25th, 2013, 11:13 AM
i:heart:you's Avatar Super Moderator
I hate splinters!!! We had hardwood floors in dd's room, they were old and awful. DD kept getting them, til we finally laid down carpet. Anyway, I usually have her turn around and sit on her knees and give me her foot backwards, if she is not facing me she can't see what I'm doing a freak out before I barely touch it. I have found soaking it then pushing down and spreading it apart with your fingers usually pops the tip out without having to dig around with the tweezers.

**Thank you Bokkechick for my awesome siggy**
April 25th, 2013, 12:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My way of dealing with them is mainly because i hate causing them any pain. I do 4 attempts with the tweezers and if it does not come out i make them soak the area in hot soapy water, let it dry and then try again. It usually falls out while its soaking. Rose had one in her heal when she was 18 months and i did not know it was there, i only found it because she had an awfull red line from her heal to her knee. I put vaseline on it and it came right out.
April 25th, 2013, 12:52 PM
*Kiliki*'s Avatar i have absolute power
yeah just have him soak it in hot soapy water....or peroxide....it'll come out eventually.....

*Kristy wife to Karl, mom to Raianna(13) Elyse(11) and Helena(6) stepmom to Frankie(16)*
click me!---> Come Join us at Stay At Home Mommies!!! <---click me!
click me!---> Come Join us at Mommy Weightloss and Fitness!!! <---click me!
Request Siggy Here SEE GALLERY HERE Request Banner Siggy Here

April 25th, 2013, 01:23 PM
RinkMom's Avatar Super Hockey Mom
If it is a surface splinter, i pull it out. Otherwise, I wait til DH gets home, leave the room and let him do the torturing.
*Kiliki* likes this.
April 25th, 2013, 01:51 PM
3OhioBoys's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So I need to try this soaking thing... thanks!

Nathan just got one in his heel that was super deep. Not fun! He told me he didn't love me while screaming and crying. As soon as I stopped trying to help DH hold the foot and started talking/trying to sooth him DH was able to get it out.

Forever remembering your smiling face.
April 26th, 2013, 08:54 AM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
Hard one... maybe try icing it a bit first and then trying to keep him occupied with something ???? singing loudly together??

soaking sounds like a good idea too.
Glad it came it out though!!
April 26th, 2013, 11:03 AM
youngwoman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3OhioBoys View Post
He told me he didn't love me while screaming and crying.
Awwww!

I had no idea about the soaking thing either - I'm so trying that next time Leah has one. She usually has to have my DH hold her hand while I pull it with tweezers.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search