Anyone get tired of hearing.....

Forum: Stay At Home Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Stay At Home Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 30th, 2004, 10:32 AM
KentuckyMama
Yes, I am tired of hearing it...and not hearing it from those who just give looks or roll their eyes about it.
I went to college, I have a B.A. I quit my job to stay home to take care of the up-coming baby. Sure, financially things are a little tight at times, but I COMPLETELY agree with what everyone else has said, that a little tight in the wallet department is no comparison for getting to raise my child myself! I would regret it if I missed those fabulous firsts! My hubby encouraged me to stay home. He too knows that we would bring home about 50 bucks a week, after everything is taken out, and it's not worth it when I can be here and be available to take my kid to appointments and anywhere else at the drop of a hat and not have to take off of work.
I have seen first-hand what happens in day-care situations and it breaks my heart. I know that not all parents leave their kids for the whole day that the day care is open, but there were quite a few parents who really did. I taught 2-3 yr. olds during college and a little after I graduated. Some kids were dropped off at 7:30 and not picked up until the doors were closing at 6 pm. I couldn't help but think of everything that had happened that day that was missed out on. I know that some parents do have to work, but I can "afford" not to.
But back to being tired of hearing it: I think I am getting the silent treatment about the whole situation. My hubby's family has made no mention of the situation once baby arrives. They do know that I am going to stay home, but they don't talk about it. I think that they have a view different from mine and prefer to keep it to themselves. I'd almost rather them talk about it with me, so that they understand my reasons and why this really is the best decision for our entire family. My parents completely support me on this.
A quick side note: I didn't go to college to neccessarily gain a career, I went for my own enrichment. I had the opportunity and wouldn't trade those four years for anything. I think it made me better prepared on how to raise my child! And I have a degree that no one can take away from me!
September 30th, 2004, 12:24 PM
Ma2RayPooh
i dont think anyone has ever said anything about me being a sahm. you would have thought i would have heard someone say something by now but i really havent. ahhh if i do they can have rayanne for a week and let me say it will be a week in the SUMMER so she is home ALL day!!! LOL Then they can tell me if I work or not!
October 1st, 2004, 09:43 AM
dejasmommy143's Avatar Super Mommy
that all sounds to familiar. so's sis and mom always ask if i found a job or are always calling me telling about openings.

October 1st, 2004, 12:44 PM
Veteran
Send a message via AIM to Ana_and_Gage's_Mommy
I have never had even one person ask me why I dont get a job, Ive had many many people make comments about me having the hardest job in the world. I guess I am surrounded by more enlighted people than alot of you.

I am saddened to hear that people give you guys a hard time, when what they should be doing is commending you for sacrificing some of your wants/needs/desires to do the best you can for your kids.

Im sure we all have dreams, desires, and aspriations that we have put on hold to do the best for our babies.

And anyhow who are these people to say that what is important in life is having a degree or qualifying for for a high paying job in a field that could never be as fulfilling or meaningful as being a SAHM. These people are probably the same people who turn around and complain about the behavoir and irresponsiblity of todays kids and young adults!!!! WHy do you think most of these kids are the way they are!!!

OH and BTW, I DO have a degree, in computer networking, and I plan to earn a degree in dietetics in the future as well. I have also been learing all I can about becoming an LC so I can combine nutrition counsiling w/ LCing in the future. So yes some of us do have degrees and the ability to earn more than minimum wage. But guess what, some of us choose the path that best suits our children and families and not just ourselves . Life is not all about getting the most money, the most things, the highests status. Life is best lived with the best balance we can gain, not just push forward push forward push forward. More like push forward and enjoy .

We willingly sacrifice things for our childrens well being, that not something everyone can say about theirselves. So what if we or our husbands complain/blow off stream/stress at work sometimes, maybe that is what we need to keep going. Everyone has something they complain about, but not everyone id doing it for reasons as important as this. Its all worth it in the end

We all know that children of dedicated/loving SAHM's and SAHD's get alot more of what they need on a daily basis. Not that moms and dads who choose to work for money dont care, Im not saying that at all, and I know not everyone can stay home, but I think we all know kids are better of with mom and/or dad than in daycare/preschool all day. These early years when our kids are at home with us all day are the only years we have to teach/make a lasting impression on our children in hopes that we may somehow be able to guide them through childhood, teen years and early adulthood safely. I for one want to feel like I did what ever I could to teach my child to be a responsible, loving, and confident person.

October 1st, 2004, 06:32 PM
dejasmommy143's Avatar Super Mommy
yes, thank you!!! The thing is that kids minds learn the most from 0-5 years so i am teaching deja as much as i can until i have no choice i want to get to know her and i think i have done a great job, i dont mean to brag but deja is very smart for her age. Dont get me wrong there are things you cannot control but i am doing as much as i can right now while i still can. I dont really get too many complements from family just strangers, thats pretty sad

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search