Anyone have trouble getting child to eat?

Forum: Stay At Home Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Stay At Home Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 30th, 2004, 10:50 AM
offlikeapromdress
My 19 mos old doesnt ever want to eat anymore. I dont know if its an independence thing or what, but Im lucky if I can get her to eat a full meal once a day. i brought it up to the pediatrician and he just kind of blew me off by saying as long as she doesnt lose weight she is fine. I have tried everything even putting sprinkles on food...but she still refuses to eat. Just so you have an idea here is what I have gotten her to eat today so far:
Breakfast she refused to eat a waffle, so I gave her cereal, she refused that she ended up eating mini marshmallows
Had some goldfish about 10 (we get up at 5 so I give her a snack)
Still wont eat lunch which I made rice a roni (it was her fav, chicken and macncheese used to be her fav but she wont eat those anymore)

I have tried grilled cheese, veggies, pb&j, mac n cheese, chicken, hotdogs, lunchmeat, cheese...nothing wont even touch it.
September 30th, 2004, 10:58 AM
TylerJ1029's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sounds like my son. Lately he wont eat anything, even the special treats he likes. Its a fight to get him to eat a whole meal. He'll eat about 1/3-1/2 of his breakfast then start screaming and pushing me away. Grrrr makes me made. Part of the reason is he's teething but I give him motrin so it shouldnt be a problem. Is yours teething? Maybe that's what's bothering her?

September 30th, 2004, 11:11 AM
christianmommato3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to christianmommato3 Send a message via Yahoo to christianmommato3
my kids will only eat certain things....

all kids go thru this stage...

just keep offering him food. He will not go hungry.

September 30th, 2004, 12:15 PM
oreokitten
Your title made me laugh! That's funny! Just give her a bunch of different things on a plate. From fresh fruit and veggies to crackers to pretty much anything!! That way she can feel she is choosing what to eat, and if it still does not work then that's ok. If she is hungry, she will eat. Maybe she fills up on too much drink? Just a thought because that's what my 4 year old will do sometimes, but I still let her drink because it's good for her too. (not soda or sugary things though) Goodluck.
October 1st, 2004, 02:26 PM
threeboyznme70's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally posted by momtojacobalisha@Sep 30 2004, 12:11 PM
my kids will only eat certain things....

all kids go thru this stage...

just keep offering him food. He will not go hungry.
ITA! I promise you that the kids won't starve themselves to death! They will eventually eat. I would substitute the marshmallows and goldfish for other foods. Leave them out at the table and let them eat. Eventually once they realize you aren't giving htem marshmallows and goldfish until they eat .... they'll eat! I also believe that all toddlers go through this. It is a control thing. It's the one area of their life that they currently control.

It's scary! when they won't eat!
October 1st, 2004, 03:54 PM
Veteran
Send a message via AIM to Ana_and_Gage's_Mommy
Totally normal stage they go through, My dd did this when she was around the saem age. I just made her food, she ate it or she didnt. IF she didnt we tried again at the next meal or snack time.

Alot of kids do good with grazing, just leave healthy things within their reach all day such as apple slices, cheese cubes, various fruits, whole wheat snack crackers.

Its important since your child is not eating much that you make it all count though, I would cut out junk totally and offer very little juice, and mostly water to drink. Kids tend to fill up on juices and milk when they go through this stage. If yah offer junk just to get them to eat your just asking for unhealthy eating habits to develope

Good luck

October 1st, 2004, 05:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I totally agree with what everyone else has said. Keep offering healthy foods and cut out the junk.

She will eat when she gets hungry!
Proud mom to my little kookaburra, Alden (03/02). #2 due 06/16/05

October 1st, 2004, 06:35 PM
dejasmommy143's Avatar Super Mommy
Deja did the same thing. I have friends with all kids around her age and every one of them have the same problems. One day they'll eat like a pig then not eat for 3-4 days. They wont starve themselves, just keep offering the food and they'll eat when they want, do give vitamins though to help out, sometimes it gives them an appitite also.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search