Mmmmm...

Forum: Stay At Home Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: Whats your favorite Thanksgiving food?
Turkey 4 28.57%
Yams/sweet potatoes 2 14.29%
Green Bean Casarole 1 7.14%
Stuffing 4 28.57%
Potatoes 2 14.29%
Pie 1 7.14%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Stay At Home Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 16th, 2004, 04:21 AM
TylerJ1029's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I love turkey. Its the only time of the year I eat it except for deli sliced for sandwiches

November 16th, 2004, 04:49 AM
oreokitten
My mom's stuffing is the BEST! I look forward to it every year. YUM!!
November 16th, 2004, 05:28 AM
Ma2RayPooh
i love yams!!!!!!! but turkey is really good too!
November 16th, 2004, 05:59 AM
tamw402004's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I like it ALL!

November 16th, 2004, 06:34 AM
Veteran
<span style="font-family:Optima">
I PICKED STUFFING BECAUSE I MAKE IT HOME MADE AND MMMMMMMM MMMMMMMMMMMM GOOD! </span>
November 16th, 2004, 07:10 AM
Squirtsmama
I always loved my aunts potatoes now that shes passed my sisters and I are making them so hopefully we can get them like she did
November 16th, 2004, 09:36 AM
YankeeMom
I absolutely cannot pick. Can't do it.
I love it all. Thanksgiving is my absolute favorite holiday. It's all about the food baby. We have the same menu on Christmas and it's just not the same.

I love the turkey, the stuffing, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie, pecan pie...all of it! I especially love the leftovers
November 16th, 2004, 09:38 AM
christianmommato3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to christianmommato3 Send a message via Yahoo to christianmommato3
yummy!!

I love sweet potatoes!!!

November 16th, 2004, 10:35 AM
ranidae
I love the turkey, but only if I cook it. I use the brown bag method, coating the whole inside of a brown paperbag with butter and herbs. I stuff the turkey with fresh aromatics like celery, fennel, onions, carrots, garlic and fresh herbs (thyme, rosemary, sage etc.) Then I rub the turkey down under the skin with the butter and herb mixture. I put the turkey in the bag or bags depending on how big it is. Bake as usual and it comes out sooooo good and moist LOL.

ETA this year we are having Thanksgiving up at the wedding, so I have no idea how the dinner is going to be LOL. I hope it is good.......
November 16th, 2004, 10:43 AM
TylerJ1029's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally posted by ranidae@Nov 16 2004, 01:35 PM
I love the turkey, but only if I cook it. I use the brown bag method, coating the whole inside of a brown paperbag with butter and herbs. I stuff the turkey with fresh aromatics like celery, fennel, onions, carrots, garlic and fresh herbs (thyme, rosemary, sage etc.) Then I rub the turkey down under the skin with the butter and herb mixture. I put the turkey in the bag or bags depending on how big it is.* Bake as usual and it comes out sooooo good and moist LOL.

ETA this year we are having Thanksgiving up at the wedding, so I have no idea how the dinner is going to be LOL. I hope it is good.......
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]

Mmmmm you have me drooling. I think I'm coming to your house!

November 16th, 2004, 11:10 AM
ranidae
LOL honestly a brown bag turkey is almost impossible to mess up, it bastes itself and as long as you watch the time it almost always comes out perfect. If anyone needs turkey help, I am more than willing to lend a helping hand (well typing hand anyway LMAO) I don't do stuffing in the bird because it is so easy for it to not be heated enough and make people sick. Especailly if there is anyone in your family with a low immune system. So what I do for stuffing is boil the gizzards and neck for about a hour, with a bouquet garni(sp) of fresh herbs then use that broth to make the stuffing along with all the meat from the neck. It comes out so good that way and you just throw it in a casserole and bake it with the turkey for that last 45min or so.
November 16th, 2004, 12:18 PM
twinsmom26
I like the green bean casserole!
November 21st, 2004, 09:25 AM
SierraSunflower
I could live on Turkey with Cherry sauce, but I love all of the food.
November 21st, 2004, 09:28 AM
meant2bemommie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Stuffing! I swear that is all my plate has on it! ok maybe some yams too!
November 21st, 2004, 10:03 AM
Platinum Supermommy
green bean casserole and mashed potatoes.

November 21st, 2004, 10:17 AM
alyssasmommy2001
TURKEY!!! I love turkey! The stuffing is good too, but nothig beats turkey. We deep fry ours, in a turkey cooker with peanut oil. It comes out so moist! As long as you don't overcook, or the skin comes out flaky and dry. I can't wait till Thursday. Since I am preggy this year and not dieting, I am gonna stuff my face, LOL. (I sure miss the little smilie that stuffs his face, lol.)
November 21st, 2004, 04:19 PM
I Heart 4x4
I looooove stuffing - my dad's stuffing is the best, ever.

I really love that one side dish with marshmellows and yams I think?? I've only had it twice, it is SO good!
November 21st, 2004, 05:09 PM
alyssasmommy2001
Quote:
Originally posted by I Heart 4x4@Nov 21 2004, 08:19 PM
I looooove stuffing - my dad's stuffing is the best, ever.

I really love that one side dish with marshmellows and yams I think?? I've only had it twice, it is SO good!
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]

Oh, candied sweet potatoes!! They are SUPER easy to make. Here is the recipe Ash.

From Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book:

Candied Sweet Potatoes
Prep: 40 Mins. Bake: 30 to 40 mins @ 375 degrees

3 medium sweet potatoes or yams
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon margarine or butter
1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped nuts or mini marshmallows

1. Cook fresh sweet potatoes, covered, in enough boiling water to cover, for 25 to 35 minutes or until tender. Drain; cool slightly. Peel potatoes; cut into 1/2 inch thick slices.

2. In a one quart casserole dish layer half of the potatoes, half of the brown sugar, and half of the butter. Repeat layers. Bake, uncovered, in a 375 degree oven for 30 to 35 mins or till potatoes are glazed, spooning liquid over potatoes once or twice. If desired, sprinkle with chopped nuts or marshmallows and bake for an additional five minutes. Makes four servings.

I have never tried it with nuts, the marshmallows are too good!

If you want, take an extra 3 tablespoons brown sugar and tablespoon of margarine, microwave the butter till melted, mix in the brown sugar and then microwave a little longer till melted, then just sit aside in a cup so you can spoon it over the potatoes while baking. I usually do it this way.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search