New to this board

Forum: Stay At Home Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Stay At Home Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 26th, 2005, 08:47 AM
Veteran
Hello everyone! My name is April, 23 and expecting my first child on Oct 22nd. I'm not new to just mommies, but I am new to this board. Just a little info about my situation. Yesterday, my boyfriend and I had the discussion about me being a SAHM. Yesterday he was hired on to a job that would allow me to stay at home when my little girl is born. He had even mentioned it being for a couple of years! (Hoping that everything goes well with the job.) More and more that I think about it, I think it would be great to be there for my little girl all the time and not miss out on those little precious moments. Plus we agreed I would do home schooling while I'm off of work. He really wants to make this happen, because with his other three kids (the youngest nine) the mothers didn't have the luxury of spending the first couple of months with their child. It was always back to work. Anyway, I guess I'm posting this because the SAHM status is so new to me. No one in my life has been in this situation before. I only have one friend (yes, I know it's sad), but she's been my best friend for almost ten years now and she has no kids and is in school. I'm not REALLY close to anyone in my family other than my mom. To make a long story short (too late!), I guess I'm wondering how everyones experience has been? Any tips you can give me? Any advice? I'm just wondering some of the things I will have to look forward to?

Again, I apologize for the length of my post .

August 26th, 2005, 09:00 AM
Ethan&amp;Tuckersmom's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Ethan&amp;Tuckersmom
April hi and welcome my name is Jen and im the host of this board , Ive been a sahm for 6 1/2 years now i have 2 boys that are 4 and 6 and will both be in school this year . Im hoping to get #3 but for now i will be babysitting my bfs kids so i can stay home longer . I love staying at home with my kids being the one to put them on the bus waving good bye makeing luches going on field trips ect. and being the frist one they see in the morning and the frist one they talk to when they get off the bus at night . My dh works out of town alot so i didnt want them to have too parents that were busy i love being a sahm and they love me being here . Well i guess everything will fall into place with your little girl youll get into a routine and find maney things to do even when shes little , there are alot of things to look forward too like her frist words her frist steps ect. and just think if u werent a sahm u might have missed them good luck and have fun if u have any questions pm me if u want

Jen

PS: Congrats on the new baby
<center><font face="verdana,arial,sans-serif" size="1" color="black">Ethan David</font>
</center>

<center><font face="verdana,arial,sans-serif" size="1" color="black">Tucker Alexzander</font>
<a href="http://lilypie.com">
August 26th, 2005, 12:58 PM
Veteran
Thank you for your kind words. I'm really excited about this whole experience!

August 26th, 2005, 01:06 PM
Katlynsmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Katlynsmommy Send a message via MSN to Katlynsmommy Send a message via Yahoo to Katlynsmommy
Welcome to JM my name is Kim Co host here to sahm.i have been a sahm for 8mths now loving it,i do get board once and a while but i find things to do lol(dont we always) congrats on the new baby comming! i bet you are really exited about that! what u should do is find yourself a daily routine,i did that and it makes things so much easier! trust me!! good luck hon
August 26th, 2005, 01:51 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally posted by Katlynsmommy@Aug 26 2005, 03:06 PM
Welcome to JM my name is Kim Co host here to sahm.i have been a sahm for 8mths now loving it,i do get board once and a while but i find things to do lol(dont we always) congrats on the new baby comming! i bet you are really exited about that! what u should do is find yourself a daily routine,i did that and it makes things so much easier! trust me!! good luck hon
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]

I'm extremely excited! I can't wait to see her and spend all my time with her. This will be an experience I will never forget and will forever be grateful for it.

August 26th, 2005, 06:01 PM
jessjillmama's Avatar ***Staying Positive***
Hi, my name is Jessica I am 24 years old and I have been a stay at home mom on and off for the past year and half. I went back to work for about 2 months and ended going back to being a SAHM.

My advise would be to make sure you find friends or playgroups and try to get out of the house atleast once a week. I try to keep myself busy cleaning or something so I don't get to bored. I tend to go a little crazy after to long so I try to keep myself busy.

Congrats to your baby girl coming soon!
Ava Sept 14th 2007, Beaux Oct 3rd 2012
* Tubal reversal December 17th 2010

August 29th, 2005, 10:33 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally posted by jessjillbolyer@Aug 26 2005, 08:01 PM
Hi, my name is Jessica I am 24 years old and I have been a stay at home mom on and off for the past year and half.* I went back to work for about 2 months and ended going back to being a SAHM.*

My advise would be to make sure you find friends or playgroups and try to get out of the house atleast once a week.* I try to keep myself busy cleaning or something so I don't get to bored.* I tend to go a little crazy after to long so I try to keep myself busy.

Congrats to your baby girl coming soon!
[/quote]

Thank you for your advice. I think I can keep myself busy, but I have a feeling I may get lonely. I guess my mom and I will become even closer!

August 29th, 2005, 11:38 AM
jaylynn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi April,
My name is Jamie and I have been a SAHM for the past year. I worked until my dd was abouut 7 mos old and I wish I could have those months back. I was so sad being away from her and missing some of her moments. Children grow so fast! I can't believe 2 years ago I was enetering my 3rd tri. and now I have this talking, walking little person. It can be tough sah but I think once you get into a routine it gets better. I also have been trying to keep in mind (especially when I have doubts) that I have my whole life to work,etc., but my children will only be little for a short time. Everything else will always be there, but they won't be little forever. good luck and congrats on your baby girl!!!-Jamie
August 29th, 2005, 01:16 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally posted by jaylynn@Aug 29 2005, 01:38 PM
Hi April,
My name is Jamie and I have been a SAHM for the past year.* I worked until my dd was abouut 7 mos old and I wish I could have those months back.* I was so sad being away from her and missing some of her moments.* Children grow so fast!* I can't believe 2 years ago I was enetering my 3rd tri. and now I have this talking, walking little person.* It can be tough sah but I think once you get into a routine it gets better.* I also have been trying to keep in mind (especially when I have doubts) that I have my whole life to work,etc., but my children will only be little for a short time.* Everything else will always be there, but they won't be little forever.* good luck and congrats on your baby girl!!!-Jamie
[/quote]

Thank you for putting it that way. I really do have my whole life to work! I think this time that I will spend with my daughter will help our bond even more. It just makes me think about my childhood and how my parents weren't involved in my life as much as they would have liked to had been. I really want to be involved in my childs life. I'm so excited! Thank you for your advice and input.

August 31st, 2005, 03:50 AM
Alice's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi April, and welcome!!

I' Alice, and I've been a SAHM for 5 years, with 3 more on the horizon until my youngest starts Kindergarten... then I'll probably go back to teaching in the same school I left in 2000. Everyone else is right: this can be incredibly lonely when it's just you and an infant. As cute as they are, they're not exactly stimulating conversation, you know?? So here's my list of suggestions:

1) You've got to try to get out of the house almost everyday. It doesn't matter where you go. In the nice weather, at least a walk around the neighborhood with the stroller will do; you may very well meet other SAHM's on your travels. (I did--Carol became a good friend.) But, unless it's snowing so hard that the roads are a hazard, make yourself get out!

2) Use this time NOW to scout out some baby-friendly places. Of course, there are the malls. But if you use your imagination (and the internet) you'll find other local places as well: the aquarium, the children's museum... You're just looking for a place where the sound of a baby crying won't be disruptive, there are changing tables, and seats where you can stop and feed the baby if you need to.

3) THere are tons of mommy groups out there. Go online and find them. You NEED real conversation with other adults. I have one friend that I chat with now and then (it used to be a few times a week when the kids were younger) at 8:30 am after both our husbands were at work.

4) There's a group for moms to go to the movies with their babies: Reel Moms or something similar.

5) Think about contacting your local high school for a copy of their sports schedule. Most sports are great places for babies (especially outdoor sports), and the schools usually have the bathrooms (and possibly cafeterias) open during games. Best of all, they're either free or very cheap.

6) Think about doing some volunteer work. Even just an occasional trip to a local nursing home with the baby will do wonders-- for you and the residents, some of whom haven't seen a baby in years.

Good luck, and again, welcome!!
JULIA (2-17-00)
KIRA (2-04-03)
<a href="http://siggiez.com/countdownz/ch/index2.cgi">
August 31st, 2005, 09:56 AM
Denise66's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi April! I am not new to JM just new to this board.

I too am a SAHM and have been for 17 years. We home school our children that has kept me very busy over the years. My oldest is now a senior this year and I wouldn't change anything for all these years I have stayed home with her and the rest of our children. I love being a mom. I have been there for everything in their lives. Now as I look at her getting ready to go off to a new stage in her life I am even more thankful to know I made the decision to stay home.

There are some great mom groups out there. MOPS (Mother's Of Preschoolers) being one of them. I attended MOPS a lot over the years. It was a blessing to me. I was able to get to know other mom's with young children.

Do not isolate yourself in your home. Also something that is so important. Do not forget who you are. Make sure that you continue with interest that you have.

Congrats on the new addition arriving soon!

Denise

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search