Should You Spy on Your Teenager?

JustMommies Article Commentary

This forum contains links to threads containing comments from our Members about our articles. To read our articles, click on the topics in the pink top navigation bar above.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To JustMommies Article Commentary LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 22nd, 2009, 02:07 PM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Quote:
An important part of parenting is to keep your kids safe and help them make good decisions.
Read more
June 22nd, 2009, 02:07 PM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Great article! I'm a firm believer that a little spying is necessary when raising teens!
June 26th, 2009, 12:55 AM
AmandaHugNKiss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Being upfront is exactly how I handled it when my 12 year old daughter wanted to use instant messaging. SHe was already very aware of not adding strangers as they could easily not be what they seem. But I told her I would have the conversation log switched on so that I could a) observe whether she is actually 'ready' for this type of communication and b) if anything *did* happen (from 'cyber-bullying' to completely inappropriate behaviour I'd be able to intervene and help her.

I think over the last two years since I granted her IM access (she's 14 now) I've checked maybe four times (twice in the beginning, and twice since). She's a good kid and I'm proud of the way she conducts herself (both in life and online )
June 26th, 2009, 06:50 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Well I am nowhere near having a teenager but i do think that a little spying is necessary to make sure they are safe and not doing anything they arent suppossed to be doing
June 26th, 2009, 07:10 AM
Mama To 3 Amazing Boys
I have mixed feelings on this, because my mom used to snoop through my backpack and my notes that were passed back and forth in class. I was never on the computer much as a kid, if I was, I was looking up pictures of the band that I liked, and my parents knew that. There was only one computer in the house. I never had my own computer with internet connection until I graduated high school. And I was fine with that. I don't know if spying is the right word.....I think if you have an openly honest relationship with your kids, spying may not be completely necessary.....but I'm speaking from experience. The only thing I lied to my parents about was doing well in school. I had a hard time in school because I felt stupid so I never did homework for fear of it being wrong. I didn't tell my parents that until I was out of school.
Baby #4 - Went to Heaven on 1.20.14
Proud Christian, Jesus Loving,Extended Breastfeeding, Co-sleeping, Babywearing, Cloth Diapering, Non-Vaxing, Homeschooling Mama!
I choose to Homeschool so I can give my children a Godly foundation, So they know His word and His truths!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search