Rear-facing Car Seats are Safer for Older Children

JustMommies Article Commentary

This forum contains links to threads containing comments from our Members about our articles. To read our articles, click on the topics in the pink top navigation bar above.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To JustMommies Article Commentary LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 22nd, 2009, 02:29 PM
Madeline410's Avatar Maddie
Send a message via Yahoo to Madeline410
Quote:
According to a new report published in the British Medical Journal, children under the age of four are safer riding in a rear-facing car seat than a forward-facing seat. 
Read more
June 22nd, 2009, 02:29 PM
Madeline410's Avatar Maddie
Send a message via Yahoo to Madeline410
I LOVE that these articles are getting out! Parents have been told for years that a 1 year old is safe forward facing.. and that is SO not true. The bones of a 1 year old are not strong enough to support themselves in a forward facing crash. Even the AAP now recommends Rear Facing until a minimum of 2 years old, but 4 years is even better! They make car seats now that can rear face up to 35 or even 40 pounds! (check out the Graco My Ride 65).

Stop by the Car Seat Safety board on JustMommies for more info
http://justmommies.com/forums/f705-car-seat-safety/
June 22nd, 2009, 03:49 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Kate is my first baby that I've done extended rear facing with. I had no clue before then that it was safer for babies, toddlers, and children to be rear facing. I get a lot of weird looks for having her rear facing, but I'm certain we are doing whats best for our family!

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
March 2nd, 2010, 01:11 AM
There is, unfortunately, no such thing as a free lunch: children in rear-facing seats are more likely to have their legs or knee joints injured in an accident. However, that's the risk I'd much rather take. Leg/knee injuries are, of course, far less likely to be permanently debilitating or fatal than spinal injuries.

I wonder if those rear-facing station wagon seats like the ones Volvo used to offer resulted in better crash outcomes if well-anchored...

Remember: a newer, high-quality small car is probably safer in an accident than a 15 year old SUV, due to advances in automotive engineering (search YouTube for the crash tests done by Top Gear and Fifth Gear - you'd MUCH rather own a newish Renault than an older Land Rover had for about the same price).
January 26th, 2011, 11:03 AM
My son cried every time we drove in the car until we turned him around. I get really car sick and I know facing backwards makes it worse, so I always thought the same happened to my son. Does anyone know if that's true? My son's older now, so backward facing doesn't work, but I'm still wondering if anyone know if the car sickness thing is true?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search