Boys and Guns: When Boys’ Games Get Aggressive

JustMommies Article Commentary

This forum contains links to threads containing comments from our Members about our articles. To read our articles, click on the topics in the pink top navigation bar above.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To JustMommies Article Commentary LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 29th, 2009, 10:46 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
Quote:
 No matter how they are raised or what situations they are exposed to, young boys seem to have an almost universal interest in gun play. Even boys who grow up in the most anti-gun households – or boys who grow up surrounded by their sisters’ toys – are drawn to shoot-em-up games.
Read more
June 29th, 2009, 10:46 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
Jeremy likes to play with toy guns and also loves to watch the military channel. I liked this article. I thought it gave some good tips for moms of boys. I like that he is interested in hearing about history, but I am trying to make sure he understands that wars actually involve killing people and not just cool explosions and neat looking tanks.
June 29th, 2009, 03:22 PM
I agree!
July 13th, 2009, 10:38 AM
MommaTrish's Avatar bless your heart
Send a message via Yahoo to MommaTrish
My boys are not allowed to have realistic looking guns, and we actually prefer them not to have any. But as the article said they'll make them out of anything. But I love some of the tips they gave, I'll have to try a few out.
February 23rd, 2010, 09:47 PM
Misquote.... "Make it a rule that they are allowed to point a toy gun at a person."
I agree that it was intended to read 'they are NOT allowed', and I like the idea of targets, esp. of 'monsters', as that reaffirms the good vs. bad, and allows them the control over their environment needed.
I advise water pistols for fun, age appropriate play. They are never realistic, and consequences are felt, yet fun and comraderie is established.
February 25th, 2010, 06:15 AM
Madeline410's Avatar Maddie
Send a message via Yahoo to Madeline410
I loved this article!! Very interesting.

95% of kids aren't in their car seats safely.
Click here to see how your child should look!

A rear-facing child is 75% less likely to die in a crash. Click here to learn more!

Are you installing your car seats correctly?
to watch my installation videos,
click HERE!

February 28th, 2010, 06:59 AM
Kelly's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Awesome article, we are one of very few in our circle of friends who allow toy gun play. We do not allow real looking guns, but anything from space guns to nerf guns to squirt guns is fine. Or anything they happen to make a gun out of is fine too.

The way I see it, all of my family that are boys, grew up playing with guns, as did my friends' brothers and none of them are violent now as grown ups.
February 28th, 2010, 08:52 AM
little_pockit's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to little_pockit
we truly believe that even if you do not allow your boys to play with toy guns, the fact of the matter is that a lack of positive attention is what breeds undesirable behavior. we have no problem letting our boys play with toy guns. they go as far as building their own out of LEGO.
March 9th, 2010, 08:16 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
This is great advice. I have been wondering (and worrying!) about this as mother to a very boisterous 3-year-old-boy. Bookmarking this for reference when the time comes!
March 9th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Veteran
Good article. We let our boys play with toy guns as long as they don't point them at anyone.
March 15th, 2010, 12:40 AM
i agree, i always tell my boys not to point a gun at a person. I take this very seriously

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search