When Breast Isnít Best: Questioning the Superiority of Breastfeeding

JustMommies Article Commentary

This forum contains links to threads containing comments from our Members about our articles. To read our articles, click on the topics in the pink top navigation bar above.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To JustMommies Article Commentary LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 24th, 2012, 08:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydesgirl View Post
No one in their right mind would think it better to breastfeed while your on drugs or if you've adopted... what the heck is the point in this article? It pretty much proves that breast feeding is best and tries to make excuses... besides being on drugs (most of which you can find substitutes for these days that will allow you to still breastfeed) it's best to breastfeed your biological child... while it's not the easiest it is the best for your child. Which means if your only excuse not to breastfeed is because you don't want to pump at work or because it's too hard then you are just selfish and probably should've waited a little longer to grow up a bit more before having children of your own. Motherhood is all about sacrific! Grow up!
Fancy talk from someone who cannot spell "sacrifice" correctly. Growing up constitutes proper spelling as well.
April 1st, 2012, 07:41 PM
Wow, I didn't realize that when I opened this article I would be reading all these confrontations and arguments. The whole point of this forum is to help each other and support each other, not tell other moms to "grow up" or criticize their choice not to breast feed. And whoever says that there aren't any excuses not to breast feed needs to grow a brain. As one woman pointed out, she flat out could not breastfeed her baby because it made him sick. Do you think she still should have done it? Kudos to her for standing up for herself and doing what was right for her baby.

I'm a young, single mother and I knew when I got pregnant that I wanted to breast feed. When my son was born, I started nursing him and he wouldn't latch on correctly. The nurses said he was a "tongue-sucker" in the womb and his tongue was getting in the way of his latch. We tried and tried to get him to latch, but eventually I had to resort to a nipple shield, which is a flexible rubber 'nipple' that goes over my own nipple and gives him something more substantial to latch onto. This worked very well, but then I started a new semester at college, and my son was wanting to nurse literally ever 30 minutes, so I would have to put down the schoolwork or online class I was working on and nurse him. This was incredibly difficult but STILL i didn't give up. My son is incredibly lazy and discovered that it was easier to get milk out of a bottle than mom. Next, my son decided to reject me when I got sick. I persisted and supplemented with formula since he wouldn't take me, but I didn't quit. My son is almost 4 months old now and we've reached a point where the frustration level of nursing is almost overwhelming. One breast has no milk left in it at all, it dried up despite my continuing to nurse on it. My son and I both developed thrush and now I'm operating on one breast with a very low milk supply. My son screams every time I put him to the breast because he doesn't want to work so hard to get milk, when the bottle gives him instant gratification. After agonizing over the decision, I've finally decided to give up breast feeding, considering that I'm moving soon and will have to get a summer job and then more college classes. I believe that giving him formula is better than fighting with him every time I try to nurse. Am I wrong for thinking this? I dont think so. I believe I did everything I could to continue nursing, despite more and more obstacles that many moms don't have to deal with.

So to the moms who say that there are no excuses for not breast feeding, I say good for you that you don't have any obstacles in your way. Some people aren't nearly as fortunate.

I'm also on WIC, and for the woman who said that people are letting tax payers pay for their babies nutrition, WIC DOES NOT get you very much AT ALL. The formula that you are allowed to get on WIC is strictly Similac formula. My son's tummy does not like Similac and the only formula he has been happy on is the Enfamil Gentlease. So while WIC is a very nice thing to have, you are extremely limited and can't get many things unless you can get the EXACT thing that WIC specifies. So really, taxpayers aren't paying hardly anything for my son's nutrition, because I can't get the right formula for him on WIC.

Alot of the women on here really need to do their homework about certain things before they decide to judge and confront other women for their personal decisions.
August 19th, 2012, 05:03 PM
i have a 3 month old and we have had a difficult breastfeeding time, so i totally understand that you have to look at the whole situation, and what is best for mother and baby, taking into consideration all factors.

i was very keen on breastfeeding my fist child, i went to breastfeeding classes while pregnant, and read more breastfeeding books than child birth books, as i was more concerned with breastfeeding than how i was going to give birth.

however, when i was 38 weeks pregnant, my father suddenly died. i was totally devastated and grief stricken. my father would of been the best grandfather to my little boy.
then my boy was born with a tongue tie, which made attachment and feeding very difficult. in hospital i was using a breast shield, and working with a lactation consultant however until tongue tie was fixed he was never going to feed well. so at day 6, with badly cracked and bleeding nipples i began expressing. his tongue tie was fixed at day 10, and i began trying to get him back on the breast, but after 2 courses of antibiotics for mastitis, nipple vasoconstriction and incredible pain in my nipples due to my boys poor attachment at 6 weeks i stopped trying to breastfeed and exclusively expressed. however expressing every 4 hours, having to express at night and feed, meaning i was having to be awake at night for 1hr every time he woke for a feed not just the 1/2 hr that it took to feed him., it was just too much for me.
i was still trying to deal with what has happened with my father, and being totally sleep deprived was not helping at all.
so what im trying to say is yes, nutritionally breast milk is best for babies, in whatever form it is delivered to them, but taking the whole situation into account is important, as i am able to take care of my child so much better now i am giving him formula, and the mothers mental health is just as important. its not selfish of me to say that expressing is too much.

i believe i have made the best decision for my child, i educated myself prior to his birth about breastfeeding, i struggled through unforeseen complications, and i made a difficult decision to stop expressing exclusively for the good of my child.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search