Oldest Mom to Give Birth Dies at Age 69

JustMommies Article Commentary

This forum contains links to threads containing comments from our Members about our articles. To read our articles, click on the topics in the pink top navigation bar above.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To JustMommies Article Commentary LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 15th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Administrator
Quote:
Maria del Carmen Bousada, the oldest woman on record to give birth at age 66 to twins, has died at age 69, the Associated Press reports.
Read more
July 15th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Administrator
What was she thinking? So selfish and sad
July 15th, 2009, 01:28 PM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
I think this is the reason women's bodies were designed to stop making babies at a certain age. While I am all for IVF and for helping an infertile woman to get pregnant, I think there should be some boundaries. I feel bad for the lady's children.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!

Last edited by pattyandthemoos; July 16th, 2009 at 01:54 PM. Reason: typo
July 16th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyandthemoos View Post
I think this is the reason women's bodies were designed to stop making babies at a certain age. While I am all for IVF and for helping an infertile woman to get pregnant, I think there should be some boundaries. I feel bad for the ladies children.
what she said.

July 22nd, 2009, 01:03 PM
I know a woman who gave birth at age 63. It was not planned at all. Quite a miracle to be exact. She is 69 now, and if she passed away today, it would be a tragedy. Just as it would be for any mother. Why do people insist on judging, when they do not know the person's whole story OR has not walked in her shoes. This woman did not let the media know about her pregnancy, so idiots wouldn't create a media circus and people would not judge. The little girl is an angel.
July 25th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Veteran
Mmmm - I think that if you are over 55 you shouldn't be allowed to do IVF. It is probably dangerous for mother and child - not to mention expensive. I think adoption of an older child is a good way to go in cases like that. But I suppose to each their own and like lolabrown says, we shouldn't judge. But we are allowed an opinion...

July 25th, 2009, 12:25 PM
jitterbunny's Avatar Super Mommy
this is a sad story. the children she left behind are in my thoughts and prayers

the safety of mother and child, as well as the child's well-being should the mother pass away should always be the primary concern. that said, in certain contexts, the case for much older mothers and ivf can be understood more. in western cultures, where the mommy/daddy/baby care structure predominates, much older parents have many risks they need to weigh. it may be different in other cultures and circumstances. on tv, i saw a lady in india who desperately wanted a male heir. she must have been in her late sixties and she was pregnant. in that culture the baby would have a much larger care giver support network consisting of extended family and friends so even if she did pass the baby would have a safe, well-cared for life.

also, non-traditional families come in many shapes and forms. i heard a story on npr about a woman who was diagnosed with breast cancer. i believe her mother and grandmother had passed from breast cancer as well. she tested to see if she had the breast cancer gene and when it tested positive she had a double mastectomy. she chose to use medical assistance to become pregnant and carry a child biologically (who ended up being a girl) despite the risk to her child of also carrying the gene.

is she selfish? i don't think so. the need to have a child is something so powerful it is almost impossible to explain. i also feel that medical advances will give her daughter so many more options, if it turns out that she carries the gene as well.

i don't think there should be a specific cut-off point for ivf. i think it should always be handled on a case by case basis. for example, a 50 year old woman in perfect health would have better chances for a healthy pregnancy than a 40 year who suffers from many medical conditions. i do feel, however, that doctors who took an oath to protect life should not make unwise decisions and should proceed with caution with older mothers.

Last edited by jitterbunny; July 25th, 2009 at 12:29 PM.
July 25th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Cocoa Sashimi's Avatar Usually Lurking
Quote:
Originally Posted by protease2k9 View Post
Mmmm - I think that if you are over 55 you shouldn't be allowed to do IVF.
I do believe this particular woman actually lied about her age on her paperwork to get the IVF.

July 26th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Ellemphriem's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannie View Post
What was she thinking? So selfish and sad
How can anyone call her selfish? Did you read what she said about sacrificing her life to take care of her elder mother? How many children do you guys know that say no to their own needs and life in order to take care of their parents no matter how long or how hard they must try in order to do it, and no matter the cost. I say hats off to her. There aren't many people around like that with such respect and love for their own. So many send of their parents to elder houses in order to get on with their life. I was late in conceiving our daughter (34) because i was late in finding my husband 31 because i spend 14 years taking care of my grandfather (who died 103 and whom i bathed even to the most private parts because towards the end he couldn't move) and my mom who died 6 months after my grandfather aged 69 from a sudden heart attack. She was ill with type A diabetes and also had depression. I watched her wither away every day and then i found her dead face down on the floor. I had many opportunities to put them both in homes and get on with my life but i was dedicated to take care of them, till the end. In fact i was dead cert i was NEVER gonna have a family and i was ok with it. And then it happened. For me it was luck or lack of it or whatever and it happened almost 30 years sooner than the lady, but for her it was not so. So who am i to call her egotistical. I'd call everyone else but her. As for her children i hope someone talks to them about who their mother really was and how rare people like that are nowadays where personal needs always come first. Now as to who made the worst mess in this? According to me it's the hospital with IVF and all those big fat money fed doctors that can even sell their souls to the devil for the right price so why not pass the 66 year old lady for 55 who cares .....? The blindingly scary answer for the stupid that they have in their pocket (we don't ask for a passport) just makes me want to lash out to them. IF there is a law that forbids women above 55 to do IVF then HELL TO YOU MATE you'd better ask for identification or else SOMEONE go after him. But you see money buys everything and that includes the law, the police, judges, the media and of course God, nature and the miracle of life.......

And that's just me pondering......and getting angry not at the women but at the ridicule that money has brought on conception.......amongst other things.......

" \m/ Now Im riding through the air
going to where no one dares
on the way Ill cross the line forevermore \m/ "

Last edited by Ellemphriem; July 26th, 2009 at 12:26 PM.
August 11th, 2009, 07:58 PM
cadjma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to cadjma
She was too old for IVF in my opinion. The important thing now are those babies. How sad, those poor children are motherless now. My thoughts & prayers are with them.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search