Domestic Violence and Girls - What Should You Teach Your Daughter?

JustMommies Article Commentary

This forum contains links to threads containing comments from our Members about our articles. To read our articles, click on the topics in the pink top navigation bar above.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To JustMommies Article Commentary LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 17th, 2009, 02:57 PM
eharmony
Quote:
Many parents never talk to their daughters about domestic violence and partner abuse.  Why not?
Read more
August 17th, 2009, 02:57 PM
eharmony
Very good info to have.
August 18th, 2009, 04:33 PM
cynicalgal
Possibly because abuse is a cycle and if you're in it - you're apt to be in denial. And if you're not in it - you may believe your child/daughter is not likely to become a victim.

Just a thought.
February 5th, 2011, 08:27 AM
i think talking abot the abuse is something that isn't really talked about in most young girls and needs to be, i myself have been part of an abusive relationship for 5 years and i'm 19 years old now and just had a baby with him, it's all a cycle thats never going to change unless you do something about it and when i say that i mean gettin out of the situation i currently thought that he would change things were good he was getting better but him being the way he is he almost killed me wiht my 2 month old in the back seat pulling my hear to the floor boards while i was driving choking me and thats when i finally said enough was enough god forbid something happened with my son in the car, i was never tought the tools for me to reconize the flags and i think that if i was shown in the first stages i couldn' have done something now i cant do anything please please if ur in a relationship and any of these red flags come up GET OUT!!! things dont get better they get worswe, i wouldt alwasy say no it will get better always and it never did and that last time i honestly thought i would never get out of the car i thought i was going to die thats how violent it was so please dont stay in a relationship thinking it will get better because it doen'st
February 5th, 2011, 08:28 AM
most parents dont think that will happen totheit kids
October 29th, 2012, 02:07 AM

this was great info, I have a 14 year old, I could use this , thanks
November 1st, 2012, 02:09 AM
My mother would always tell me, if a guy hits you the first time, get out of the relationship because for sure, it will not be the last. And I have always remembered that and this is what I'm going to tell my daughter again and again.
November 1st, 2012, 12:59 PM
Talking to my daughter about domestic violence is something I plan to do early and often. Much the same way I intend to regularly discuss sex, pregnancy, hormones, birth control, etc. in age appropriate ways from the earliest possible moments I also intend to talk about self-respect, violence, love, and relationships the same way. A big part of what I intend to teach her is mutual respect and how nobody should hit her just like she shouldn't hit anyone else. I'm always glad to find articles that help parents figure out how to talk to their kids about important things like this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search