Spanking Can Cause Aggressive Behavior, Poor Cognitive Tests

JustMommies Article Commentary

This forum contains links to threads containing comments from our Members about our articles. To read our articles, click on the topics in the pink top navigation bar above.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To JustMommies Article Commentary LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 19th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Aly Welch's Avatar Aly
Quote:
Spanking children as one-year-olds can lead to more aggressive behavior when they are toddlers, research out of Duke University reveals.
Read more
September 19th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Aly Welch's Avatar Aly
Why only low income families? How did they rule out things like poor diet and living conditions, which also tend to have a profound impact on cognitive skills? Regardless of stance on spanking, I just find it very striking that they chose to focus on a specific class. I'd be curious how studies on middle or upper class families that spank compare. I can see spanking increasing aggression, but I suspect other factors are being overlooked in terms of the impact on cognitive skills.
September 23rd, 2009, 01:21 PM
MommaTrish's Avatar bless your heart
Send a message via Yahoo to MommaTrish
You're kidding right? I don't like to generalize, but as I've learned in several Sociology classes, children from low-income families tend to be more aggressive, and score lower on cognitive tests anyway due to all number of environmental issues. If they wanted an unbiased study (not one that would just back up what they wanted the study to show) they would have included all economical statuses, not just one. Its "studies" like these that cause people to be misinformed and biased against something.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search