Potty Training Doís And Doníts

JustMommies Article Commentary

This forum contains links to threads containing comments from our Members about our articles. To read our articles, click on the topics in the pink top navigation bar above.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To JustMommies Article Commentary LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 8th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Pam
Quote:
There was recently a case on the news of a child who was completely potty trained at six months. An impressive age to be sure, but not so hard to believe when you consider that the parents pretty much set the baby from birth over the potty. This was to get the baby use to the feel of the potty and get into the habit of being over one when they had to go.
Read more
November 8th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Pam
My daughter is almost 3 years old, and I must say potty training has been difficult. Mainly due to me, my lack of knowledge, and my mothers parenting.
When I had Nikki my doctor, who is from India, told me not to force weening or potty training. He said each child would develop this ability naturally...because they learn from us.
I shared this information with my mother and she disagrees 100%. She had four children and thinks she's an expert and she had no difficulties with weening and controlling her children. However, she doesn't remember my little brother wet his bed till he was 10 and I had accidents till I was 13. I'm not saying my mother was a bad mom...but you do what you know. And learning from that I want to learn as much as I can so my kids develop with no fears!
I almost had Nikki potty trained at 18 months, she was doing so good, until I went to visit my mother....
we were leaving and Nikki had a dirty diaper (poop) I was changing her brothers diaper, he was 1 month old at the time. And to be helpful my mother said she could change her diaper, she never did before and I told her it might be better that I do it.
I saw her in a different light that day.
Nikki tried to run away, game we play, my mother thought she was being defiant and grabbed her and roughly laid her on the floor, she then began to "growl" at her to stay still. It scared me I never saw my mother act that way before(or that I remember). Nikki cried all the way home, and of course Jesse did too. (1 hour drive) My head was killing me when we finally got home, I told my husband and he lost it.....my relationship with my mother hasn't been the same since.
But ever since that day Nikki hides when she's pooping and gets scared if she has an accident (mainly when she poops)
Now I wish I could turn back time...so for anyone else out there....DON'T GET MAD AND DON'T REACT TO EMOTION!!
PamNJ
January 10th, 2010, 08:50 PM
I just started potty training my 22 month old (she ahs been shwoing signs since 19 months but I wanted to give her more time). We also decided to not use "pull-up" type training pants and went straight to panites. She hates being "poopy" or being wet so we have made good progress. I recommend skipping pull-ups, they just delay the process.
January 30th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Super Mommy
My 18 month old boy show signs of wanting to pottie train. I can get him to go pee in the morning and sometimes once more during the day. Should I just bite the bullet and try to train him completly, or just keep the occational practice? I am a mother of 3 girls and he is my only boy. My 1st 2 girls were not difficult my 5 yr old girl I still have problems with.
May 9th, 2010, 05:30 PM
JA7887's Avatar Veteran
I used a mini alarm I got from the dollar tree, it was a simple two button device I set it for 60 mins and reset it every time he went, so even if we were distracted he'd hear the alarm and know it was time to try and use the potty. We also used stickers, small sticker for pee, big sticker for poo, he loved picking out his stickers and placing them on his potty, and all over his head board when he ran out of room on his potty.
April 5th, 2011, 06:42 PM
well you guys this is mjy fist child she child will be 20 months on tomorrow and she still isn't potty trained yet???...she goes to the pot only when I go used the restroom,lol!!she sits on her pot and wipe her private area with the tissue and flush it in my toliet like she don't something ???sombody please give me some advice!!!
May 17th, 2011, 03:09 PM
My oldest son is going to be 3 next month and he will have days where he will use the potty depending on what kind of snacks you have for him, I do not agree with the snack thing mainly because he will go potty 3 or 4 times in a row until he has had his fill of snacks then go back to not using the potty. I do not know what to do with him. I've bought the Lightning McQueen potty car, elmo we've tried the Buzz Lightyear underware and lightning McQueen nothing seems to be working I dont know what to do anymore.
February 14th, 2012, 12:56 AM
My daughter was almost completely potty trained at 22 months, but of course there is sometimes the occasional accident, but I think she is always more upset by it than I am so I dont feel the need to scold her.
July 31st, 2012, 11:27 PM
How did you get your little ones to make the association to use the potty when they had to go. My son seems uninterested. I have a potty for him out. He just likes to push it around.
January 12th, 2014, 08:51 AM
My son is 5. He has a slight developmental delay as well. He was pee-potty trained just before his second birthday, we've been poo-potty training for the past 3...yes 3 YEARS! Knock on wood it's been 10 days since he's had a poo accident (which he won't tell you about, he's quite comfortable sitting in his dirty undies. I have to constantly (3-5x a day), send him to sit on the potty to try to poopy. For the most part (if the timing is right) he will do it there and become elated, get stickers for his chart, high fives, and he is allowed to take his DS to the bathroom. He will go pee all by himself, he always announces that he has to pee, and then asks if he can go (I have no idea why he does this), but when it comes to poopy he will never ask, never say he has to go and if I don't put him on the potty to "try to poopy", he won't go himself and will do it in his clothes. I have explained that he can go himself, that he can't poopy in his pants, that he needs to go to the potty without being told and if he does I will take him to the store asap for a special treat/toy, he can even get 4 stickers (he loves stickers). He will always acknowledge me, he knows where he's supposed to do poopy etc. and has never had a pee accident.
How can I get him to make the connection to go to the toilet to poo by himself like he does with pee?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search