Report: Most SIDS Deaths Occur During Co-Sleeping

JustMommies Article Commentary

This forum contains links to threads containing comments from our Members about our articles. To read our articles, click on the topics in the pink top navigation bar above.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To JustMommies Article Commentary LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 24th, 2009, 03:20 AM
Mountain~Mama's Avatar ThePastHasNoPowerOverMe
Quote:
A new report out of Britain finds that over half of SIDS (sudden infant death syndrome) incidents occur during co-sleeping with an adult or another child. Recent alcohol and drug use by a parent and co-sleeping on couches both play key factors.
Read more
November 24th, 2009, 03:20 AM
Mountain~Mama's Avatar ThePastHasNoPowerOverMe
and sleeping in one of the 2.1 milion recalled cribs is safer than co-sleeping. hmmmph..... :/
November 24th, 2009, 06:06 AM
Ellemphriem's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I 'think' they mean that a kind of death occurs to the baby during 'bed sharing' not co-sleeping (co-sleeping can be in the same room not bed), with an irresponsible adult that drinks or does drugs.........that's not SIDS (Sudden death infant syndrome) man, WE KNOW why the kid died then......an IDIOT suffocated them.....urghhhh.....i mean sometimes they don't know what they are writing do they?

" \m/ Now I’m riding through the air
going to where no one dares
on the way I’ll cross the line forevermore \m/ "

December 8th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Mama To 3 Amazing Boys
It was co sleeping that helped us know that our son had a seizure after immunatizations. If he was in a crib in another room...we would have never known! I hate that they are blaming co sleeping for people's stupidity!!!
Baby #4 - Went to Heaven on 1.20.14
Proud Christian, Jesus Loving,Extended Breastfeeding, Co-sleeping, Babywearing, Cloth Diapering, Non-Vaxing, Homeschooling Mama!
I choose to Homeschool so I can give my children a Godly foundation, So they know His word and His truths!
December 8th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Calendula's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Man, and I was REALLY looking forward to getting wasted and curling up on the love seat with my LO .
December 11th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Who writes these articles? I think that JM should get a refund from this one.

Wiki says:

"Sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) or crib death is a syndrome marked by the sudden death of an infant that is unexpected by history and remains unexplained after a thorough forensic autopsy and a detailed death scene investigation."

I dont see how that can be true about accidental overlay from a drunk/intoxicated parent.

Hvor er toalettet?
Skal vi danse?
Gratulerer med fødselsdagen
Luftputefartøyet mitt er fullt av ål
Ett språk er aldri nok

Last edited by Fluga; December 11th, 2009 at 05:29 PM.
December 12th, 2009, 11:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
It's really sad that JustMommies puts these headlines on their crawl to scare parents yet when you open the article it states that alchohol or drugs are a key factor in the large numbers. Why not state that IN the headline so it doesn't influence people who don't have time, or interest in researching all the facts. It paints cosleeping in a negative and dangerous light when in reality it's not the cosleeping but the poor parenting that led to these babies deaths.

Cosleeping is safe when you're smart about it and use caution, like not sharing blankets with baby, not having excess pillows on the bed, not using drugs, or alchohol when cosleeping or allowing baby to sleep with another sibling. But publishing THAT would be bad why?
December 14th, 2009, 12:12 AM
Ugh... co-sleeping is NOT what causes SIDS. I think it's funny that they SAY they don't know what causes it, yet constantly come up with things that increase it. If they are suffocated by being smothered while co-sleeping, then we know exactly why they died. Therefore, it's not SIDS, it's being smothered

Last edited by Jacksons_Mommy; December 14th, 2009 at 12:15 AM.
December 14th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Seanaci's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Seanaci Send a message via MSN to Seanaci
This article is just absurd.

The headline should read true to the info in the article...in this case that the studies were based on alcohol/drug use by the parent prior to the death. :/ It's misleading and unfair to responsible co-sleeping parents.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search