False Positive Pregnancy Test

JustMommies Article Commentary

This forum contains links to threads containing comments from our Members about our articles. To read our articles, click on the topics in the pink top navigation bar above.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To JustMommies Article Commentary LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 26th, 2010, 08:44 AM
I took two pregnancy tests and both came back positive. I wouldn't normally expect my period till tomorrow. I know we had sex at like the perfect time to concieve but from what it sounds like i shouldnt be getting a positive test yet? do you think it is a false positive? are the digital tests more accurate?
August 6th, 2010, 01:07 AM
I had 4 positive home pregnancy tests in 3 days but when I went to Kaiser permanente to get my urine test it was negative. The lady at the front desk who was very pregnant told me that her urine test done there was inconclusive. so I was very confused because it seems that home tests are better than a lab urine test. Anyway, I got a blood test and it was positive. I got another to make sure the hcg was increasing (not a chem pregnancy) and it is! so I'm preggie! Moral of the story is to question urine tests done at med centers, not very good!
August 9th, 2010, 10:34 AM
hey , need advice please !
me and my boyfriend have been tryin for a baby since june , however , i took my first pregnancy test which came up positive the day my period was due which was the 30th july this test had a very faint but visible line i had shown people in my work and they noticed it too .. then the next day i took another test it was negative. i was a bit upset so i bought another one and took it that night and it came up positive but very faint line too .. so tht was 3 tests. On the monday , I went to the docs were they took a urine test and it came up negative .. i was absolutely gutted then i took one when i finished work that night and it was positive but still faint ? the doc told me to not take anymore tests but i couldn't resist .. For the past 2 weeks i have also had quite bad cramp on my left side and my nipples are quite sensitve with small lumps round it. Anyways , i took another test saturday morning (7th august) and it was positive .. went to the doctors today it was negative !! im abso gutted he took a blood sample and i get results on wednesday , any advice please help .. im so confused xxxx
August 12th, 2010, 07:07 AM
Sunday I took three pregnancy tests- two were positive and one was negative. Last month I had a period for only two or three days and hardly bled at all. I am very normal and should have started my period last night. Should I wait a couple more days to see if I start my period or go ahead to the doc's office and request a blood test? We have been trying for over a year and I want this so bad.
September 15th, 2010, 01:35 PM
I know how you ladies feel.... It is so frustrating not knowing the final (and accurate) answers you are looking for. I am 34 and a Mother of four children myself. My oldest is 16 and youngest is 9. My last period was August 1st and today is September 15th and NO PERIOD!!!!! The guessing game can drive a woman to the nut house! I am generally extreamly busy so I didn't notice that my period hasn't come. It was my husband who asked me lol.... I chart my periods for reasons like this (thank god).... I took a HPT Friday evening and it was neg. Come Monday of this week and took another one in the morning and it was positive. After I had a freak out moment, I took another one towards the end of the day and it was a faint positive line. Went BACK to the store to get an expensive test (Answer Early) test and took those two which both came back negative. I finally decided to just go to the Dr. as I was quickly approaching $60.00 worth of tests. I went to the Dr. and my test came back negative. Hummmm..... That doesn't explain why I haven't had a period in a month and a half. They told me to come back in two weeks if I still haven't had my period and test again. GREAT!!!! The waiting game continues..... It is really frustrating not knowing for sure. When I got preg. with my 9 yr. old, home tests was positive and Dr. test was neg. but guess what??? I was no doubt preg. sooooo, it is hard to rely on if the Dr. is right or if the HPT is right. I guess the botom line is that nobody can help you predict if you are or are not... Time will tell and only when nature takes it's course rather it be your period showing up or that positive and final test you were looking for, is when you will know. Good luck ladies and best wishes.......
September 16th, 2010, 11:51 AM
*SamF*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *SamF*
Just an FYI- many doctor office use the cheaper type of tests that can only detect higher levels.
And if you have not had a period in over a month and you know the length of your cycles, the doctor should not be sending you home to wait for two weeks. Insist on a blood test.
October 4th, 2010, 03:52 PM
HELP
i have taken two home pregnancy tests and they show positive.
I went to my doctor today and they gave me a urinalysis to test for pregnancy, and it was negative. They gave me a second one and it was negative. I have never had a false positive test before?
The only thing i have been taken that might affect the test is Acai Berry but I cannot find anything that states it contains HCG... Anyone have information on this.
My doctor refuses to give me a blood test because they say its too expensive for just having two false urinalysis tests...
ANY INFO IS GREATLY APPRICIATED.
Please please put my mind at ease with your knowledge.
October 4th, 2010, 05:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Ok first off are you late for your period ? What brand of test are you taking ? Are the lines pink or blue ?

Some test such as First response early result can show a positive very early and your doctors test might not be picking it up .

R u testing with FMU at home and using mid to late afternoon pee for the doctor?

I hope we can help you and you might get a better response if you post in the Am I pregnant board. There are alot more women over there! Sorry for all of the questions lol

HUGS!

December 12th, 2010, 10:45 PM
So I'm at a loss. Me and my husband have been trying since about Feb. With no luck. My Last period was October 28th. I normally Obsess a few days before 2nd i was a little late. The next morning on the 3rd i took a test with my FIRST morning pee. and sure enough my 1st positive ever. it was a VERY distinct positive plus sign. Not a light colored line at all. I took a few more with a different brand ((1st response)) and they were negative. So with my confusion I made an appointment with my doctor and the earliest they had was the 10th. With the waiting each day it seemed like everyday i got a new symptom. Naseua; constant urinating; tired; sore breasts...ect. On the 9th i had bad cramping near my pelvic area & decided to use my husbands free medical to good use ((US Military)) we went to the naval hospital around 4pm. They asked me what brought me there i told them the late period and cramping. How i have been peeing more.The doctor Quickly said "UTI" i said no...it dosen't hurt theres no smell and the amount of pee is full not trickles ((like UTI)) they tested my urine and No surprise NEGATIVE. They then told me i was Never pregnant and if i was my body is most likely getting rid of that. ((I LOVE the sensitivity)) because sadly that's what they said. I didn't even bother going to the doctor the next day since they DON'T do blood test and the records with the clinic and hospital are linked. I live overseas in Japan so it's not like i can just go to another clinic or hospital so i feel screwed. I'm STILL late. and i'm VERY regular and haven't missed a period in years. I don't want to keep throwing $$ at tests since i clearly don't trust the results . Any ideas?
December 14th, 2010, 12:43 AM
just like many of you i had 1 pos digital test and the rest neg i just dont understand ,my last period was oct 31st there usaully 33 days in between..i should have ovulated nov19th when would i get a pos and how far along would i be??? been haveing a weird thick discharge bloating gas ect help me
December 22nd, 2010, 06:26 PM
so i have four positive at home pregnancy tests, and one negative.....Should i jump for joy?
January 5th, 2011, 09:19 AM
I haven't had a period since nov 6th and i have experience nausea, swollen tummy, very sore nipples with little bumps on them and much more and i just took two tests and both came back positive. but they only turned positive after the allotted time (probably about 10 minutes) but the second line on both was pink. I keep reading that evaporation lines aren't ever pink but mine are clearly pink. Am I pregnant or what does that mean?
February 21st, 2011, 05:04 AM
We have been trying for our first child for a little over a year now. In the past, I have not had any problems with taking any of the different pregnancy tests out there. When they said negative, I was not pregnant. So I have always trusted them. Plus you always hear that they are over 99.9% accurate and I had always believed this. So in early Jan., after being about a week late, I took my first test and it was positive. After getting very excited and calling everyone to tell them, I had a talk with one of my girlfriends and she told me about how she had a problems with getting "false positive" readings. I had never really heard of this happening to anyone I knew, so she really got me worried. She talked about it like it was a pretty normal or regular thing that happens to a lot of women. So of course I went right out and bought like five more tests. Over the next week, I took all of the test just like it says to take them and they were all positive. That put my mind at ease for the time and we figured out that I was three weeks along. So you can imagine my surprise when I started my period a little less than three weeks later and it was not a normal one for me. I tried not to worry to bad, because I had heard, on rare occasions, of women still having their period for a short time, after getting pregnant. But just to be safe, I made an appointment with my doctor. He told me that it was prob. fine, but to go ahead and come in to be safe, and because I needed to be seen anyway. Well after going to my doctor, I was devastated to find that I was not only not pregnant, but I had never been pregnant. I didn’t believe it at first and told him it was not possible. I had taken six test and all were positive, I had missed my period, my breast were swollen and sore, I was sick and an emotional wreck. I had to be pregnant. So they ended up giving me the blood test and there was no mistake. I had never been pregnant. After about a week of trying to recover from this news, I contacted my doctor to find out how this could have been possible. I mean how was I that .01% out of 100? Well come to find out, that whole 99.9% thing is not very accurate at all. It has actually never been approved by the FDA, or any other government agency. My doctor informed me that this is not even all that rare and he had seen it plenty of times in his 28 years. It's not common, but it is far from the .01% that they all claim. So I have since started doing my own research and have discovered that there are a lot of women out there that had the same thing happen to them (some with much more unreal stories and results). How is this all possible in today's medical market with all the control and standards put into place? Well, that’s the million-dollar question and there are a lot of people out there asking it. There are plenty of ideas and suggestions, but from what I have found, nobody is really sure. I write this because we need to do something about it. If we don't stand up and do something about it, then it will never change. There are thousands of women out there that have their lives changed because of this. It is a devastating thing for anyone to get this news, but for some, it can really affect their families and relationships in a very negative way. We have to do something about this. Please, do your own research, talk to your doctors, and ask questions. If we don't then this will never change. Thanks for reading my story. -Kelly
April 3rd, 2011, 09:07 AM
I'm too young to be pregnant! I had sex for the first time two days ago (I used a condom), and had sex again yesterday (still used a condom but he orgasmed really quickly). I am aware of almost everything there is to know about sex (because I'm in a group called Teens Taking Action at Planned Parenthood), but I'm incredibly scared. How long does it take for you to be able to know if you're pregnant or not?
April 20th, 2011, 12:55 PM
WHO CAN HELP ME WITH THIS QUESTION THAT i HAVE? i WAS AT THE ER TWO WEEKS AGO AND THE DR THERE TOLD ME THAT I WAS PREGNAT. I WAS IN MY PERIOD AT THAT MOMENT ALSO I HAVE THE IUD IN PLACE THATS WHAT HE TOLD ME. MY HCG CAME BACK POSITIVE WITH A LOW 2, I WHEN TO MY DR THE NEXT DAY AND HE REPET MY LABS, I GOT MY RESULTS AND IT WAS 12 BUT I HAD LABS AGAIN AND THEY CAME BACK LOW WITH A 2 AGAIN. WHAT DOES THIS MEAN? MAYBE IS A MISCARRIAGE OR A TUBAL PREGNANCY? I NEED SOMEBODY TO HELP ME BECAUSE I HAVE MY DR'S APPOITMENT UNTIL TUESDAY BUT I CAN'T WAIT THAT LONG.. HOPEFULLY SOMEBODY CAN EXPLAIN THAT TO ME. THANK YOU AND I WIL APPRECIATE ANY COMENTS.
April 24th, 2011, 06:19 AM
Sex can be wonderful, but I completely understand how scared you are. Sex is a lot of responsibility, too!

The best time to take a pregnancy test is the first day after a missed period. Many brands claim that you can take them earlier, but it really is best to wait. On average, a cycle is 28 days (from the start of one period to the next), but not everyone has an average cycle (some are longer and some are shorter) or even a regular one (the length may vary from cycle to cycle).

If you know when the first day of your last period was, then a pregnancy test should be taken 29 days AFTER that day (assuming your period hasn't started).

If you don't know when you're last period was, that's ok! Assuming that you weren't having your period when you had sex, your period probably started in late March (likely before the 28th), so 28 days from that would be tomorrow, April 25. If your period doesn't start tomorrow, take a pregnancy test on Tuesday, April 26.

I'd recommend talking to an adult that you trust, preferably an experienced mom who can love on you. I wish I could give you a hug. It's not fun to feel scared.

Happy Easter! May God comfort your heart today as we celebrate the resurrection of Jesus Christ, His son!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im_Scared View Post
I'm too young to be pregnant! I had sex for the first time two days ago (I used a condom), and had sex again yesterday (still used a condom but he orgasmed really quickly). I am aware of almost everything there is to know about sex (because I'm in a group called Teens Taking Action at Planned Parenthood), but I'm incredibly scared. How long does it take for you to be able to know if you're pregnant or not?
December 5th, 2011, 08:46 PM
I have taken three home tests and I got all positive results. This is very exciting for me and my fiance but I was told that I had very slim chances of becoming pregnant due to pollycystic overeal syndrome. I'm concerened that I will go to the clinic and they wont find a baby. I've had all the symptoms and I'm hoping the tests were correct. We are very thrilled that I may be pregnant. Going to the clinic tomorrow. Wish me luck!
April 23rd, 2012, 05:39 AM
I did two pregnancy tests on Friday 13th of April (nice date) and they both came back positive. But I did a urine sample with two doctors and was told that there was blood in the urine and protein. Now I'm really upset...I don't know what to do.
June 15th, 2012, 10:06 PM
I'm kinda pissed reading these, I always thought pregnancy tests were nearly 100% acurate and now I'm finding out that its not even close! I took one test after being nearly 2 weeks late from my local pharmacy (14 freaking dollars for a single test that was store not even name brand) It didn't tell me how much (or how long) I had to pee on the stick but made sure to warn me "too much or too little could cause false results". I had to hold it a certain way. The instructions were just confusing and (embarrasingly) because I held it in so long I actually urinated over the entire stick and not just the paper bit at the end... It came out positive but I'm not even sure I did it right, I didnt take a first morning one it was mid afternoon but I dont urinate very often and I held it for hours hoping to get as clear a result as possible. The line was nearly invisible and my fiance couldn't even read it right. But I figured, it was right because hey, its nearly 100% percent accurate! Well guess not.. I suppose I will be going to a doctor to get a blood test. Hopefully I can pay for it.
August 1st, 2012, 10:47 AM
i'm 5 days late, took a HTP, not sure if faint positive or evap :/ how do I post a pic for opinions?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search