False Positive Pregnancy Test

JustMommies Article Commentary

This forum contains links to threads containing comments from our Members about our articles. To read our articles, click on the topics in the pink top navigation bar above.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To JustMommies Article Commentary LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 19th, 2009, 09:05 AM
Quote:
If you've taken a home pregnancy test and get two lines (or a plus sign depending on the brand and type of test), you assume this means you are pregnant. After all, home pregnancy tests claim an accuracy rate of over 99%.
Read more
December 19th, 2009, 09:05 AM
Ok this article sounds like it was written to defend the makers of pregnancy tests and the strength of their accuracy. It describes manic women checking the test, then double checking much later and even digging through the trash like a lunatic...I feel this is a slightly skewed vision of what is (for the most part) going on....there are always exceptions to anything.

In this case I feel like there is no chance that I am the only intelligent sane woman trying to become pregnant and regularly taking pregnancy tests. Women who are actually trying to get pregnant may in truth read the directions more than once and follow them religiously. As for all the crap about turning the stick in the light to try and see another line....gimme a break. Generally speaking (for sane people and easy to read tests) you know what the test says...how you skew it in your mind afterwards is a separate conversation regarding psychology not pregnancy test accuracy!

As for me...the test was digital. I took three of them. I followed the directions with every detail. All three said in plain clear print "Pregnant" there was NO other word on the screen and I have actually been to a doctor recently and my vision is perfect however there is no baby in there! I'm not pregnant. This was what I thought was my first pregnancy in my thirty years. I was really excited and really distraught when I found out the test was wrong. So if this happens to you and some smart-*** person tells you that you are too ignorant to know how to read a pregnancy test...tell them to shove it! I know how you feel. You are not alone and next time things will be different. Don't give up

OH!....buy more than one brand of test and take it when you first wake up in the morning when your HCG level is highest. My doctor told me my hormone levels were simply out of whack because I wanted so badly to become pregnant that my hormones caused a false positive. Well I guess that still makes it human error and not the tests inaccuracy......(lol)......the tests are infalible,yeah right!
Best wishes baby making everyone!
-Marnie
December 20th, 2009, 01:26 PM
*Jennifer*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The test was not wrong. More than likely, you had a chemical pregnancy. Your doctor sounds like a jerk and I would find another one. I am so sorry you had to go through this. I had 2 chemical pregnancies 2 cycles in a row and got pregnant again the following cycle. I now have a precious baby boy.
February 3rd, 2010, 11:24 PM
My period was supposed to be on January 25th but it never came. I have taken four home pregnancy test, had tender breast for about two weeks, and now i feel like i am on my period with all the cramping i have been having since a week before my period was supposed to come. it is like a long period with no blood. it hurts, but basically what i am asking, does this mean i am 100% pregnant?
February 4th, 2010, 10:32 AM
i was due on on the 2nd Feb but still nothing have lil jelly like spotting very slight negative test result cheap test? have purchased clear blue digital how long should i leave till i test again?
February 8th, 2010, 05:14 PM
LadyRogue's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Msl91, Same here for me. AF was due Jan. 24th, and still no AF. I've taken a lot of tests, got tons of faints, but negs on the 2 digi's I took. Also a neg on a serum blood test 5 days ago at the doc's. However, my symptoms have increased. Doc had me take a beta hcg test today and I'll get results tomorrow. Very good luck to you!!!
February 9th, 2010, 10:24 PM
I am a week late for my period and have taken two pregnancy tests. The first was positive and the second was negative. What should I believe?
February 12th, 2010, 10:46 AM
My period is due any day now but last month's came a bit early and was not the usual flow. I have had a lot of symptoms lately (fatigue, minor cramping and discomfort, mild headaches, indigestion) so I tried several home tests. 5 were positive (1 was the kind that shows 2 lines, 2 were the kind that shows the plus (+) sign and the last was digital). I actually took 6 but one gave me an error. I am off to the doctor this afternoon for a blood test.
February 27th, 2010, 10:38 PM
okay i need help really badly, i've been haveing mood swings for three days sometimes i am so angry then sometimes i wanna cry, for no reason, for two weeks ive been takeing unisome sleep aids, tylenol sinus, and the midol for only two days, i have been cramping only a little bit i've missed my period, and i took 6 test that all said positve,but i practice safe sex, do i have a chemical baby?? please help!
March 1st, 2010, 11:20 AM
If you start to feel ovulation pain and have sex will the ovulation pain continue even if the egg gets fertilized?Will the ovulation process still continue to take place if the egg is fertilized or will it just stop?
March 22nd, 2010, 10:06 AM
hi i am new to this forum and just wanted to ask yous something, When i was 15 i had a miscarriage and was taking contraceptive pills after but had trouble taking them and then had the implanon rod put in wen i was 18 and was allergic to it so had that taken out and then had the injection for about 6months at the age of 22 and then i put weight on with it then stoped that and in betwen them time had un protected sex and havent fallen once. I havent been trying but thuoght if a fall il fall but havent. Now i am 23yrs old and for about two week or so started to get cramp not alot or big cramps just little ones here and there and head aches slight and tirdness and tender breast. I work in bakery and i usally eat alot and didnt feel like eating alot and everythin i tasted, tasted fail and milk tasted and smelled horrible so i took a clear blue test thinking this was it and it come up positive 1-2 weeks i thought great this is it im ganna be a mummy yey lol,

So i booked appointment with the doctor and asked when my last period was and how i feel i said few little pain he said url get all that cramping and more further on then he said is there a problem i said no but shouldnt u take a test to confirm he said no the tests are 99% acurate and hes happy to just say im pregnant and worked out i was about 5weeks pregnant this was on a tuesday so he sent me to the front disk to make a anti natal appointment for 12 week so it get s to the friday an my pains are geting worse and then i get really bad back pains and period pains so i went to the hospital and then they took a urine test it came back nagitve so they then took a blood test and that came back not pregnant. Its now monday and im still getting the same pregnancy symtoms but now on my period but its not normal and dont feel normal have been haveing realy sharp shootin pains. does this sound like anything anyones come across atal im just really confussed thanks for reading : (
April 8th, 2010, 03:04 PM
Hi I'm a man and I'm 23 years old. My girlfriend just took a pregnancy test. She followed all the instructions and took the test twice. The first test showed two lines but one of them was unclear. Then she took the test again and it only showed one line. What test should we trust better?
Thanks
April 10th, 2010, 09:04 AM
RayofHope's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Zuby. Neither. Take a digital or go to the dr.

Thanks Claire1979 for my Fabulous Siggie!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
April 18th, 2010, 11:47 PM
I am a mother of five period lately on time....I am having nausea, dizziness, abdominal pain like 8 days now, breasts getting bigger, could i be pregnant or not? menstrual came mar 4th,2010...now two weeks overdue bought a dollar store preg test but got a negative result....should i do digital or go to dr.....previous pregnancies not knowing until 3 1/2 months, 4 1/2 months always negative results...guess i will wait until next week....anyone have any solutions or help for me on this one????
June 2nd, 2010, 11:19 AM
Hello, I am a 25 yo female, and my last period was 04/24. I usually get my period between the 18-22nd each month. I have been nauseous, and my breasts are tender. I took a home pregnancy test last saturday, 05/29, and it was positive. I went to the doctor yesterday and took a test and it was negative. I took a blood test and am awaiting the results. Still no sign of my period, just symptons of being pregnant. Any thoughts?
June 20th, 2010, 11:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanna be a first time mamma View Post
hi i am new to this forum and just wanted to ask yous something, When i was 15 i had a miscarriage and was taking contraceptive pills after but had trouble taking them and then had the implanon rod put in wen i was 18 and was allergic to it so had that taken out and then had the injection for about 6months at the age of 22 and then i put weight on with it then stoped that and in betwen them time had un protected sex and havent fallen once. I havent been trying but thuoght if a fall il fall but havent. Now i am 23yrs old and for about two week or so started to get cramp not alot or big cramps just little ones here and there and head aches slight and tirdness and tender breast. I work in bakery and i usally eat alot and didnt feel like eating alot and everythin i tasted, tasted fail and milk tasted and smelled horrible so i took a clear blue test thinking this was it and it come up positive 1-2 weeks i thought great this is it im ganna be a mummy yey lol,

So i booked appointment with the doctor and asked when my last period was and how i feel i said few little pain he said url get all that cramping and more further on then he said is there a problem i said no but shouldnt u take a test to confirm he said no the tests are 99% acurate and hes happy to just say im pregnant and worked out i was about 5weeks pregnant this was on a tuesday so he sent me to the front disk to make a anti natal appointment for 12 week so it get s to the friday an my pains are geting worse and then i get really bad back pains and period pains so i went to the hospital and then they took a urine test it came back nagitve so they then took a blood test and that came back not pregnant. Its now monday and im still getting the same pregnancy symtoms but now on my period but its not normal and dont feel normal have been haveing realy sharp shootin pains. does this sound like anything anyones come across atal im just really confussed thanks for reading : (
Just wondering, what is a anti natal appointment? I know what prenatal care is but never heard of anti natal. Anti means against something, so I was confused when I read this.
Thanks
June 20th, 2010, 11:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexymom View Post
A false positive result may occur if you take your test too early. The pregnancy hormone hCG does not begin to build up in your system until after the fertilized egg has attached to the uterine wall. This usually occurs within 14 days of fertilization, so a blood test is almost always accurate if it's done after your next period was supposed to start. Some over-the-counter tests need higher levels of the hormone to be accurate, and so they say you're not pregnant, even though you are. You can take another test a few days later to be sure.
I believe that you are referring to a false negative test and not a false positive. False positive would be the test is positive but you are not pregnant.
Thanks
June 21st, 2010, 12:53 AM
Okay, so I've taken 4 pregnancy tests. The first two, First response, were taken Thursday the 17th, both positive. Then on Friday the 18th I went to the doctor for a urine test and he said it came back negative. But my husband, not quite convinced the doctor was right, went out and bought Clearblue Digital tests. I took the first one when I woke up on June 20th, and the second when I woke up this morning, the 21st. Both clearly read: "Pregnant." And I feel like I should mention that my sleeping schedule is backwards. I sleep during the day and wake up at night. And I'm supposed to start today, so i wasn't late when I took the first few tests. So seeing as how I had already been up for quite a few hours the day of the doctor's office urine test, it wouldn't have been my "Morning's first urine." Could that have affected it? I have a follow up appointment on Tuesday (Tomorrow). Should I request a blood pregnancy test? I'm not worried about the cost, my insurance will cover it.
Also, I have heard about certain women "making themselves believe" that they're pregnant and they can actually receive false positives. But I have been "almost positive" that I was pregnant a lot of times that I've taken tests. And I don't believe in all that stuff saying people can make themselves believe something that isn't true...So I want to say that rules that option out. And if it were a chemical pregnancy, wouldn't it show up "Not Pregnant" on the last two tests I did?
July 19th, 2010, 07:49 AM
Ok. So this is a weird story. I'm currently breastfeeding my 10 1/2 month old. Had low breast milk from the start (am using an SNS since 2 mos. of age along with solids). I don't know if that's important but figured I'd add it since it's probably due to a hormonal problem (non thyroid, normal). Anyway, about a week and a half ago I took a pregnancy test. I take them about once a month or so since I have yet to start my cycle. Five tests came out faint positive from the same urine (morning) sample. Next three consecutive tests (over 3 days ) came out negative. Took a blood test three days later and it said less that 2, which means not pregnant. So yesterday I took another test. It came out faint positive. Took another test this morning (one day later) and negative. Took another this afternoon and negative (although urine was super weak). I think I might have ovulated almost a week ago. I took an ovulation test (I had cramping and the such) and it came out very faint, probably meaning it had passed. And I had sex within both time frames. With my first pregnancy I had no symptoms besides nasty headaches at the end of the first trimester. I have been nauseous, and have had headaches along with a few other symptoms which can be associated with both pregnancy and the coming of a period. I just don't get what's going on. I know this is a long post but I thought I should put it all out there as it is a strange predicament in which I have found myself. Does anybody have any ideas as to what can be going on with me?
July 22nd, 2010, 01:57 PM
I was supposed to start my period yesterday. I took an ept pregnancy test on Wednesday night. It was confusing to read because one line on the plus sign was VERY lighter than the other. So yesterday, I went to buy a digital, clear blue test. I took one around 11 AM and it was positive. Took another one at 5:30 PM just to make sure and it was also positive. Went to the MD today to confirm it and it was negative! WTH? They sent me to get my blood drawn. So, now I have to wait until next Monday to get my results and see if I'm really pregnant or not. I'm showing a few symptoms, so I'm convinced I am. We'll see...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search