Castor Oil to Induce labor

JustMommies Article Commentary

This forum contains links to threads containing comments from our Members about our articles. To read our articles, click on the topics in the pink top navigation bar above.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To JustMommies Article Commentary LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 25th, 2011, 01:43 AM
Castor works...my due date was march 30th and I took 2.5 oz of castor oil at 11am with some cheesy pasta. It didn't taste the best but I ate it. I went for a walk at 430 pm just one lap around apts. At 5:20pm my water broke and I started having mild contractions 5 min after. I was only 1cm dilated and 90%effaced but they admitted me because my water was broken. At 915 I was still only 1cm with extremely painful contractions. At 1015 I was dilated a full 10cm WOW. I had the urge to pudh but I had to wait for the doctor to come in...I pushed 3 times at 1036 and she came right out 7lbs 6oz at 1039pm. Labor pains were horrible but it was worth the five hours. First child too. (39 weeks 1 day)
April 3rd, 2011, 08:40 AM
Okay so I am 37weeks and 3days and am 2cm dilated and officially miserable. I have had a healthy pregnancy all the way through and my doctor says that she is ready that we are just waiting on little miss. The past three nights I have had the worst braxton hicks but that is all they go away and it is very disappointing. Would it be absolutly horrible for me to give the castrol oil a shot! ( I have gone through this pregnancy very much alone and am ready for the end result!)
April 5th, 2011, 07:53 PM
Didn't work for me...but good luck!
April 10th, 2011, 07:08 AM
ok i am 38 weeks and 4 days..i only have 10 days left..and i have had contractions 7 min apart for three days now..and uncomfy should i try caster oil ...i am despreat...this is my second child my son was very healthy a 9 pounds 4 oz...he was 3 days over due
May 6th, 2011, 07:08 PM
im 38 weeks 2days and this will b my first baby boy i just got the castor oil but really trying to decide if ill take it. i read most stories online i been doin this for the last few days. n i came to the conclusion that the only women that have complications are the ones that dnt even wait until baby is full term. ive read 34 weeks and 35weeks like thats way to early. so with that being said i got my juice and castor oil im gonna do it. wish me luck ladies
May 18th, 2011, 05:42 PM
I am prego with my 4th and I came on here to read about the "castor oil" induction as I was considering this to help get my 4th out before my parents came to visit... I would be 39 weeks.... I have to admit - I'm extremely uncomfortable, I haven't slept in my bed in over a month - I have resorted to a recliner because of the amount of pain I am in at night. This IS pregnancy...some women glow, some do not... but it is what it is. I was going into this castor oil thing rather blindly, but I do not take lightly the "meconium" factor regardless of whether some women have issues with it or not. This has changed my mind and HERE IS WHY...
I have never used castor oil to induce any of my previous labors. My 1st was nearly 2 weeks overdue when my water finally broke and labor lasted another 20+ hours which resulted in a retained placenta. My 2nd labor was smooth sailing and was induced with pitocin on my due date. My DD had the cord wrapped around her neck twice which caused her to have a bowel movement... she came out pink, healthy and 10 out of 10 on her APGAR....several hours later after all the visitors had left and I had swaddled her for the night and was in the bathroom, the nurse came for her rounds. She knocked on the door and told me she was taking the baby to the nursery...ok... a few minutes later my pediatrician called me and told me that my baby was being admitted to the NICU. I was confused, shocked and in disbelief...there was nothing wrong with my daughter. Unfortunately - she developed an infection from the meconium she inhaled during the delivery. She went from perfect to near death in a matter of minutes. They would not let me see her while they hooked her up to tubes and oxygen and when I did finally get to see her she was blue/purple and struggling to breathe. I have never been so scared in my life. She turned into our $million baby as she spent several weeks in the NICU which was unexpected for a healthy full term baby. The verdict may still be out as to whether castor oil increases the risk of meconium...but if there is an increased risk at all, I think I'm going to pass on this...I don't wish this on anyone and feel I am one of the lucky ones to have my beautiful daughter barely gasping for air, now 6 and bossing me around. I'm not trying to scare anyone, if I hadn't had this experience, I would probably be drinking the shake tonight...but this experience has definitely made me think twice as I never thought that what the castor oil is doing to my body, may be doing to the baby's as well. food for thought
June 17th, 2011, 06:00 PM
So I took 2 table spoons a 6 hours ago (mixed in some noodle bowl) and I didn't even get diarrhea! I felt sick for 30 min and then I was fine... Was hoping for a little action my BP has been too high and I'm in early labor (have been for a week. I guess I'll try putting castor oil on my belly with a hot compress next (found it in some old home remedy book.
June 18th, 2011, 08:00 PM
I'm 35weeks &been having Braxton Hicks since 31 weeks. They've been getting worse but still irregular. Now there accompanied with low back pains &pressure down there irregularly. At 34weeks my doctor told me I was already measuring at 36weeks &if I went into labor she wouldn't stop it because my little boy would be developed well enough to survive without needing to be in the NICU. &the only reason he would need to be in there would be to help him gain more weight which it seemed like he wouldn't need that either since he's weighing more than 6lbs. He's already dropped way down into my pelvis according to my doctor &ultrasound tech. Im concerned that he doesn't have anymore room to grow inside me since his every movement is becoming more &more painful. Me &my fiancé are wanting to try castrol oil. Any suggestions??? Please &thankyou dearly.
June 24th, 2011, 07:58 AM
im 38 weeks and i tried the oil with juice and its made me cramp a little and go to the bathroom once. the baby started moving like no other and my stomach get really hard off and on but now i dont have cramping or any signs now of labor and i would really like her out im in alot of pain with her being on my nerve all the time does anyone have any thing i can try or do to put me into labor?
July 30th, 2011, 06:21 PM
I am 38 weeks along and the castor oil trick was recommended by my OB. She warned me of the taste and petrolium like texture, but I mixed it into a large glass of hot chocolate and it went down without a problem! Just thought I would let you ladies know my trick ... I did just take it at 6:15 PM, so I have no effects to report, but if anything happens, I will be sure to share! Good luck moms! Here's to happy and healthy births all around!
August 15th, 2011, 11:30 PM
I am 40weeks and a day the castor oil remdy did not work for me at all did nothing but give me the runs. I tried it twice and both times did not work at all so I guess I just have to wait until my lil is ready to come on her own.
October 28th, 2011, 03:11 PM
I just did the castor oil treatment i am overdue by a week and some days.....Will keep posted to see if this works....As of right now i am getting pains in my legs and in my area not needing to be mentioned but i hope this works....I have tried everything and this was the last thing i have tried...
October 28th, 2011, 03:12 PM
I just did the castor oil treatment i am overdue by a week and some days.....Will keep posted to see if this works....As of right now i am getting pains in my legs and in my area not needing to be mentioned but i hope this works....I have tried everything and this was the last thing i have tried...
October 28th, 2011, 03:12 PM
November 14th, 2011, 10:40 AM
just a few helpful tips for those thinking of using the castor oil method:
-they say to mix with orange juice, GROSS
if you have a hard time getting that down mix it with strawberry banana V8 fruit juice. it was so much easy to swallow, when i mixed it with the V8 i downed it all in one sitting, where with the orange juice i had to keep coming back to it.
-it takes 2-6 hours for the castor oil symptoms to start showing up, and in most cases it takes 8-24 hours for the labor to begin, so dont be discouraged that nothing happens right away.
-WALK WALK WALK, once you start feeling the cramps, be as active as you can.
-take on an empty stomach, works way better and you dont have to run to the bathroom as much.
-drink plenty of water once the symptoms start to show up, it's very easy to get dehydrated.
hope this helped!(:
**and you do not have to be dilated at all for this to work, i wasnt.
but castor oil DOES NOT WORK FOR EVERYONE. it's not a miracle solution to bring out your baby, everyones body takes things differently.
December 2nd, 2011, 01:46 PM
I am 36 weeks pregnant; & I am debating if i should take castor oil or not :/ ???, I am going to wait intell I am 38 weeks to try it.
December 2nd, 2011, 01:46 PM
I am 36 weeks pregnant; & I am debating if i should take castor oil or not :/ ???, I am going to wait intell I am 38 weeks to try it.
December 2nd, 2011, 01:50 PM
I am 36 weeks pregnant and debating if I should drink castor oil or not :/ ??? , I am going to wait intell I am 38 weeks to try it. My babys estimated weight is already 5lbs 4oz. . . should I try it when I hit 38 weeks? " Need Some Advise!" .
December 2nd, 2011, 09:40 PM
Took Castor Oil with OJ tasted nasty, took second dose with Diet Cola much better. Started at 9:00pm it is now 12:30 I am waiting. Will let you know what happens.
December 4th, 2011, 02:18 PM
baby number 5 and I am 38 weeks prego. This is the longest I have ever been pregnant. I am 4cm dial. and 70% efaced. I will NOT progress in dialation without help. We have tried everything but Caster oil. I will start contractions 5-7 min apart and then they will get 3-4 min apart for a good hour to where I am yelling that it hurts we get to the hospital and they go back to 7-10 min apart and due to the new laws they can not "help" me tell I am 39 weeks or if there is something medical wrong with me or the baby. This has been going on for over a week now. So what do you all think? should I try the oil? My body is in labor just cant get that one cm. The doc told us last night to try it, and if I came back and was 5 cm or more that they would admit me. So do I try it or not

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search