Castor Oil to Induce labor

JustMommies Article Commentary

This forum contains links to threads containing comments from our Members about our articles. To read our articles, click on the topics in the pink top navigation bar above.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To JustMommies Article Commentary LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 21st, 2011, 06:09 AM
I had my baby on Labor Day 9-5-2011. I was 37 weeks along and took half of the bottle of Castor Oil with Orange Juice. I must say i took it around 1:30 by 7:00pm i was having really bad contractions 3 minutes apart. When the contractions started they were back to back. I left home to go to the hospital at 8:00pm and had the baby at 9:19pm. By the time i got to the hospital everything was happening so fast that i had no time to get any type of drugs for the pain. THE PAIN WAS HORRIBLE THIS TIME AROUND, IDK IF IT WAS THE CASTOR OIL!! But point blank my baby was born healthy

I am pregnant again now and will do the same with Castor Oil!!
December 28th, 2011, 05:24 PM
i am 37 weeks today and miserable big i am dilated to a 2 and not sure about the effaced but i am miserable. i just drank a whole think of castor oil with some pepsi and it was that bad. it is 7:25pm i am taking a walk and hoping for the best will keep you all posted on if it works or not!!!!
January 22nd, 2012, 09:37 PM

Hi well my name is stephanie and I am 20yrs old.. I am 38 1/2 weeks pregnant and I been doing a lot of research about castor oil.. but I'm kinda scared. I been readinq a lot of diffrent storyes nd it makes me think but them when I read. Another story were evrythinq went well I qet my hopes up and want to try it. But then aqain I don't want my baby to be born unhealthy. I really don't kno wut to do. I already bought it since last week but I don't want to be cald selfish if somethinq does happends to mu unborn baby.
February 16th, 2012, 05:19 PM
The first rule of castor oil is OVERDUE, not 36 weeks and uncomfortable! I feel like that is being irresponsible. This is a great, NATURAL alternative to pitocin or worse. I'm 11 days overdue and my doctor wants to induce with misoprostol. No thanks. I would rather risk cramping and diarrhea than a uterine rupture. Castor oil just stimulates your bowels which helps induce contractions. If you're worried about merconium, it is usually present in overdue babies anyways and not from the castor oil.
April 19th, 2012, 01:58 PM
I am 38 weeks with my second child, my first was a week late and had to be induced because my water "sprung a leak" as my doctor put it... He had to break my water, and then still nothing happened so they had to give me pitocin. Now at 38 weeks with my daughter, I have been 1 cm for about a month now, and after some serious contractions I went to the hospital and was told that I was in early labor, 2 cm and 50% effaced. When nothing changed after 6 hours of monitoring and walking the hospital halls, they sent me home to labor it out at home. Well, it's been a day and a half, my contractions are still 2 minutes apart and strong, I'm miserable and can barely walk, I've tried everything and have had no luck moving things along. They won't give me pitocin for another 2 weeks, and they told me to try some natural ways to get things going, aka sex, warm baths, bouncing on a medicine ball, raspberry leaf tea, pineapple... I've exhausted all the possibilities I can find, so I finally just now took 2 ounces of castor oil with a protein shake, since eating is not appealing right now... I really hope this works, if not, does anyone have any other ideas besides the typical natural methods? I'm in labor already, I just want it to progress faster, despite my uterus doing it's job, my iron cervix is causing issues again
April 19th, 2012, 02:08 PM
I am 38 weeks with my second child. My first was a week overdue, and they had to induce me because I "sprung a leak" as my doctor put it. After fully breaking my water, there was still no progress so they had to give me pitocin. So here I am with number 2, I've been in pre-labor since 32 weeks, and yesterday morning I hit early labor... I'm 2 cm dilated, 50% effaced now, with strong contractions that are 2 minutes apart. After 6 hours in the hospital walking and being monitored, they sent me home until it starts moving faster. I've been trying everything under the sun, sex, walking, stairs, medicine ball bouncing, warm baths, raspberry leaf tea, pineapple... I just now took 2 oz of castor oil. They won't give me pitocin until my due date, but they told me I could go ahead and try natural methods. Does anyone have any other ideas if this doesn't work other than the usual? I'm already in labor, just despite my uterus doing ITS job, my iron cervix is causing problems once again
May 26th, 2012, 07:34 AM
For all those people that are thinking about trying this! DO IT! It DEFO worked for me and if i was to be pregnant again i would use this method again. I had been looking on the internet for research for about a week before i actually plucked up the courage to take it. Many site's say that it will just make you go to the loo, and make you vomit! Luckily for me this was not the case! I was 36 weeks and 6 days and sick of carrying my baby around! Killer back pain and was not sleeping! so on the 23rd/05/2012 at 5:30pm i took TWO TABLESPOONS (Straight). NOTHING at all happened and i was gutted.. I went to bed and was up at 12:00am Like normal and not been able to sleep! Went to the loo and had a loose poo (Nothing to horrible) Got back into my bed and at 12:30am i started having pains. Had another 2 loose poo's. With some intense contractions. Headed off to the hospital at 4:00am and i was 2/3cm. Within an hour i was 4/5cm. Went down to delivery and had my baby at 7:48am. Waters broke and baby was here within 10Mins. and 1 Min of pushing! Everyone will be different and may not work but seeing a positive feedback about castor oil is a good sign.. Good luck and Congratulations. I hope this helps ladies! x
September 3rd, 2012, 09:14 AM
I am 39 weeks my due date is on Thursday September 6,2012 , and I've been having little bit of contractions and a lot of pain and pressure I went to the hospital and the doctor told me I'm 2cm dialated(meanwhile I've been two cm since last Wed) and that I am 90% everyone keeps telling me to do the castor oil .....I walk and walk all the Tim's up and down hills and it just seems like nothing is changing... I'm just a little confused on weather I should try the castor oil or not ..... just after reading all the comments I'm just curious frm other people should I do it or just wait? ???
September 3rd, 2012, 05:26 PM
Alpha_allie1010's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was 41 weeks 2 days. 3cm and 70% and drank it and it gave me contractions but they didn't go anywhere! I drank it again at 41 weeks 5 days and still nada....had to be medically induced at 42 weeks. She didn't have any meconium.

Thanks Kiliki for my AWESOME siggie!!!
September 13th, 2012, 06:11 AM
Hi so im on my 4th baby and tried castor oil 2 days ago and had steady 3-5 min contractions for 2 hrs but thn thy went away and im still prego. I have 11 days till my DD. Im so anxious and miserable due to having lupus also. I tried 2 tbsp of the oil yesterday and got nothing...absolutely nothing!!! Im gonna go crazy here lol...
September 14th, 2012, 04:21 PM
I am 38 weeks and scheduled for a c-section in 4 days. doctor says if I go into labor before than, I can go vaginal. been thinking about trying castor oil but im just kinda afraid. Has it ever been known to harm the baby? I might try it tonight. I really rather go vaginal so im getting desperate
October 11th, 2012, 12:56 PM
Hiya!'

I am 37w3days today (12/10/12), so am full term & ready to go at any time. This is number 4 for me and I have had two babies born on their due date (#1 & 3), #2 was 10 days early. So with my last prego believe me I tried EVERYTHING......except C.O. I was taking E.P.O religously, 4 vaginally and 4 orally for the last 2 weeks, but had started at 4 week countdown just not as much. I was very fit so was walkng 2 one hour walks daily in the last week, having sex almost daily and was no stranger to eating spicey food. I really really was ready to have number 3 by 38 weeks. I was drinking raspberry leaf tea and I think I even tried pineapple....ugh the things we do BUT as I said I wasn't up for trying C.O.
My problem was there was too much negative feedback about it and ended up scary the heck out of me! The thing that got me was the pooping...and now I see the meconium thing also. However the jury is still out on that theory as there doesnt seem sufficient proof that this is a cause from taking C.O or simply what happens naturally when a baby is overdue and stressed. After delivering my 3rd in a 3 hour labour but ONE HOUR of pushing cuz she wasnt even positioned right (born facing up!) which exhausted the hell out of me I wondered had I taken the C.O would that have added to the complication or created a slippery ride for her to exit better? I'll never know...my point is (yes there is one lol) there will be some degree of doubt etc in all the methods we may try or not try and no-one knows the kind of labour we will have until we are going through it. So I have decided that today I will try C.O but will defo not hold my hopes high (experience has taught me that!) If it doesnt work well at least my bowels will be emptied! CONGRATS TO ALL THE MUMS TO BE AND MUMS THAT ARE...LEGENDS!
October 14th, 2012, 01:54 PM
Hey everyone! Just thought I would share my experience with castor oil. I am currently 39w 3d, 1cm and 50% effaced (as of last Monday at 38w 4d) and decided to try castor oil last night. I did a ton of research before trying it, so I knew it may not work and could make me very sick. I took 2 oz mixed with Orange juice, and chased that with some Mt. Dew. I havent been able to eat much due to constipation and the baby, so I ate a little bit of mac and cheese about 30 mins after. I took it at midnight, and by 2 I was needing to use the restroom. However, I had no bm, just had to pee. My stomach was upset, but I was able to fall back asleep after a piece of bread and a small glass of milk. At 3:45 I ran to the bathroom and vomitted, and still had not seen any bm. Drank a glass of water, and eventually fell back asleep. This cycle continued, waking up, peeing, drinking water, and falling back asleep. Not a single bm. It is now 3:45 pm and although I have eaten, drank water and tea, I still have not had bm. Just a very upset stomach. Also, I have not had any contractions that I have noticed. My baby is still very active, but I am physically exhausted. It should also be noted that although I havent had a good bm in weeks, after a bath yesterday afternoon, I had a very hard, but large bk. I just wanted to flush my system in prep for labor, and if it brought on labor, that seemed like a plus. Needless to say, it did not work for me, but I may try again in a few days if my baby doesnt make progress. Hope this helps!
October 15th, 2012, 04:15 PM
Well it is official....Castor Oil done nada...lol. In fact I didnt get nausiated, two hours after the first dose I took another 30 mil, and about 6 hours later I passed runny poo. During the 6 hours I had tightening of the stomach, (which I get anyways!) but no cramping whatsoever, and about an hour after that I had a smaller loose poo. So the next evenng I tried another dose and about 3-4am I got some contracting happening, enough to wake me up. However by 8 am when I got up there was no more irregular contractions. Another at home remedy I can strike off the list LOL.....So a couple days after I tried it again. took a full 2oz wth OJ then 2 hours later 1oz, incorparated 'dtd a couple times in a 12 hour period and have nada but loose poo! Went for a check today, baby is positioned perfectly..to me positioned perfectly is positioned in my arms! LOL..Sorry to those reading this that are looking for hope that castor oil works.....apparently it does for some, upside though my bowels will be empty for labour!

Last edited by mum to be of 4; October 18th, 2012 at 01:13 PM. Reason: grammer error
October 18th, 2012, 11:21 AM
im almost 35 weeks, i been in pre labor twie already, i am havin my 4th c-section, and i am so uncomfortble, i cant even sleep anymore. I decided to try the castor oil yesterday, i started at 3:15 and i didnt feel anything until after 6pm, i started having pain in my cervix, and my lower back, i had a bathroom run, twice, i started having these outta wack contractions, from 7 mins apaart, to 15 mins, to 4 mins, then to 20 mins, it was werid...but they were non stop til after 1am, when i finally said....forget this! i just wanted to go to bed!! i was so tired from the pains, and pressure, that i just went to sleep, i woke up this morning with no pains, and STILL no labor...kinda sucks...i took 2 oz. with oj, like everyone said...but it never worked.
October 18th, 2012, 11:21 AM
im almost 35 weeks, i been in pre labor twie already, i am havin my 4th c-section, and i am so uncomfortble, i cant even sleep anymore. I decided to try the castor oil yesterday, i started at 3:15 and i didnt feel anything until after 6pm, i started having pain in my cervix, and my lower back, i had a bathroom run, twice, i started having these outta wack contractions, from 7 mins apaart, to 15 mins, to 4 mins, then to 20 mins, it was werid...but they were non stop til after 1am, when i finally said....forget this! i just wanted to go to bed!! i was so tired from the pains, and pressure, that i just went to sleep, i woke up this morning with no pains, and STILL no labor...kinda sucks...i took 2 oz. with oj, like everyone said...but it never worked.
November 17th, 2012, 06:12 PM
Castor oil was the worst thing I have ever tried. It made me very sick and I went into false labor. If you have been sick during your pregnancy I do not recommend trying castor oil.
January 11th, 2013, 04:41 AM
cbass929's Avatar Regular
I don't understand how some people will say "DON'T TAKE IT" but then say ONLY if your caregiver says its ok. ??? That makes no sense to me!!

April 8th, 2013, 09:22 PM
ok so i was induced last week and nothing happend so they sent me home so a week later and still no signs of labor so i heard castor oil works, but you get really bad diariah
July 3rd, 2013, 04:24 PM
The scientific studies generally indicate that 55-60% of people who take 2-2.5 oz of castor oil will go into active labor within 24 hours.
This isn't a sure-fire solution for everyone, but it's amazingly effective!
Also, the way it works has recently been identified, and it's prostoglandins, not dehydration.

For anyone who wants to see some of the actual studies:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22615395
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10631825
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1993291/?page=3
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11717994

To be fair, there was a single study that suggested castor oil was not effective (did not affect the average time to birth), but affirmed it was safe
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19780733
http://www.tm.mahidol.ac.th/jitmm2008/download/14102008-jitmm-d4-Boel-castor-oil.pdf

The study on how it works
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22615395

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search