Castor Oil to Induce labor

JustMommies Article Commentary

This forum contains links to threads containing comments from our Members about our articles. To read our articles, click on the topics in the pink top navigation bar above.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To JustMommies Article Commentary LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 21st, 2010, 03:06 PM
Quote:
So you've reached 40 weeks of pregnancy and baby has not arrived. You had hoped to go in labor on your own and the idea of a medical induction does not appeal to you. Is there anything you can do? Castor oil has been used to induce labor for many years. Some midwives and doctors alike both use it.
Read more
February 21st, 2010, 03:06 PM
where can i get castor oil from? i live in torrance, california
February 23rd, 2010, 10:06 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
You should be able to find this at your drug store or even your grocery store. It is normally around the laxatives and enemas and stuff like that.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
April 22nd, 2010, 11:38 AM
I can promise you this: the meconium is not due to the overdue baby. I was 35 weeks pregnant when I took castor oil to loosen my bowels and went into labor shortly thereafter. My daughter's doctor made her stay an extra day in the hospital because of her breathing in meconium. Think of it this way: if it physically makes your intestines move, then you can bet that it will make your baby's do the same. I've had 3 kids myself and that labor was the worst ever; it hurt like no other and I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. In this pregnancy, I've had issues with constipation but I've learned to deal with it because I don't want to go through that again! I wish you all the best of luck!
May 21st, 2010, 11:42 PM
Ok it is May 21, 2010. And I feel the need 2 let every mom that needs 2 know that castor oil DOES WORK!! Mayb not 4 every 1, but it did 4 me!!
This is my story...
I am 23 years old and I have 5 little girls ages 8, 6, 5, 4, & 2. I have had all these girls with out the need 2 use castor oil. But after my 2year old daughter I decided 2 get my tubes tied. Well.... That didn't work and I ended up pregnant again. Good news was that I finally got the boy.
Well N E ways. after having the 5 girls I was so actious 2 see my little boy. So when i was 38 weeks pregnant, 3cm, 70% effaced, I decided 2 try the castor oil after reading about it for weeks!! So I got a cup with some orange juice and 2 tbs. of castor oil. I then went 2 the room and waited. Well I did get cramps and diarrhea. but not 2 bad. i got some Braxton Hicks contractions, went 2 sleep and woke up the next day 2... Nothing.
I felt disappointed, but got over it. All the cramping was gone and I no longer had diarrhea. After that I went all day waiting 4 something 2 happen and nothing did. So I gave up. I had a doctors appointment the day after so I went just 2 find out that nothing had changed. =(
After that doctors visit I felt the urge 2 try the castor oil 1 more time. So, the day after that at about 5pm, I tried again. Only i used alittle more than before. I got 2 scoops of Ice cream, added 3/4 of a cup of milk and 2oz. of castor oil and blended it togehter. I chugged it all down and waited. Well I didn't get much cramps or anything I just got diarrhea. (but again not 2 bad just enough have me run 2 the bathroom maybe like 3 times) So then I thought nothing was gonna happen cuz some time went buy and no pain at all. Then I started 2 get alittle bit of Braxton hicks here and there. Still thought nothing of it. My husband had 2 leave 4 a wile and that gave me time 2 get my bag ready and take a shower and even make myself a pedicure. (Like I said i did have the runs but it was not that bad, as U can see I was able 2 put my feet up with a baby belly and manage not 2 go on myself)
When my husband got home my contractioons started 2 speed up and felt a bit stronger. Not 2 strong, they just felt like period cramps, only my belly would get really hard, to the point that sitting actually felt unconfortable. So my contractions went from 8 to 5 then to 3 minutes apart. So I said "Let's Go". I got 2 the hospital at about 12am and had my baby at 8:45am Thursday morning (May 20th) And by the way my baby did NOT have meconium.
So... I just felt the need 2 share this with you because I know what feels 2 want your baby out and being scared. I think we all know our body and how sencitive or not sencitive our body is. If u feel like U know that your body doesn't handle diarrhea very well, well then don't try it.
But as 4 me. I felt that I could handle it since my body doesn't get 2 bad when i do get diarrhea. Oh and I forgot I did take Imodium 1 hour before i went to the hospital. Just make me feel more confident.
I hope this helps someone out there!!
May 23rd, 2010, 01:20 PM
I have always warned moms against taking castor oil because they don't know how they might react and they can't stop the symptoms once they begin. Moms can have diarrhea, anal irritation from loose stools, hemmoroids, stomach cramps, and false labor. It can make a mom very uncomfortable if she is still experiencing any of these during active labor and/or delivery.

I just had a client today who took castor oil. The baby not only had merconium but kept deficating while the nurses were trying to wipe her off. When they commented that she was having a lot of loose stools and that is very unusual for a newborn I made the connection. When I looked it up, sure enough, many babies have experienced this. Though the "studies" don't point to a conclusive correlation, there are lots of posts by moms who had it happen. Some attribute it to being postdates, but this mom was not to her due date yet.

It is not worth the possible complications.
June 25th, 2010, 04:09 PM
i have had 2 babies i have never tried the stuff my self i am 6 wks preg. w my 3rd baby i dont know if im just chicken or not but i like the thought of waiting for me to go into labor naturally i will rather walk or anything else other than taking remides to put me i labor because i have had 2 micarrages after my 3 an 2 year old were born and i cherish my babies to much to put any of them in harms way!
August 18th, 2010, 05:25 PM
ok so i was induced last week and nothing happend so they sent me home so a week later and still no signs of labor so i heard castor oil works, but you get really bad diariah. Well, i tryed it and it didn't work at all it didnt even make me poop lol!!!I get induced again tomorrow August 19th so hopefully something happends this time!!!!!
November 17th, 2010, 10:23 AM
When I was pregnant with my first child when I hit 36 weeks, and I waited for the doctors to tell me that he was ready to come that I just had to wait any day now. I couldnt handle waiting any longer so I went to the store and got a bottle of castor oil and some orange juice, poured a large glass of orange juice and put 5 table spoons of castor oil and chugged the entire glass. Sure enough I was running to the bathroom shortly after, But a few days later I went to my doctors appointment and they wanted me to go to the hospital to monitor my contractions. When I get there the nurse checks me and I was already 3 cennimeters dialated. I had no pain or any idea I was in Labor because my water didnt break. But hours after that I gave birth to a healthy 8lb 4oz little boy. And me and him were perfectly fine.. I just wanted to share that with everyone.

* I only used castor oil because I was having a perfectly healthy pregnancy, and my doctor told me he was ready to come out measuring by his weight and size.(he was a big baby). I would never try this if I had medical/physical conditions. I made sure my baby and myself were healthy before trying this. And I believed it worked.
MissLeslie87 likes this.
November 17th, 2010, 10:29 AM
walmart. any drug store next to the laxatives
November 20th, 2010, 09:35 PM
Im 39 weeks and will be 40 in 5 days... i went to the store and bought castor oil today, but am hesitant about drinking it. i keep hearing about the mecoium thing when babies are born, but at the same time, there are people on here that took it and were either over due (which could be the cause), or WAY to early to be having them! why would you take castor oil at 35 weeks?! thats just stupid... there are still many things that are developing during that time. If your baby had meconium when you gave birth at 35 weeks thats kind of your fault for being a selfish person and wanting them out so soon. i dont know if i want to drink it. my children tend to stay late and i have never tried castor oil due to the literally "crappy" stories you hear. at the store i went to, i had to have a doctors note with my expected due date to get it from the pharmacist! due to people trying it too early. my doctor has told me to try it and i still dont know if i want to.
December 28th, 2010, 05:06 PM
I am 34 weeks pregnant and I am beyond miserable Im so ready to go into labor and was thinking about taking castro oil but I am not certain....what should I do?
January 11th, 2011, 06:16 AM
This is not safe unless your caregiver advises it. You should not be so selfish to think of only yourself and not the baby. I know a women who did it for all her pg (3) and this last time she did it, her baby's lungs were not developed and now the little guy will have problems his entire life. That is child abuse and I wish she would go to jail for it. But I am sure she will not. Listen to your caregivers advise and don't take the risk. It is a risk you do not have to take. Remember full term is not for 42 weeks... It is not 9 months it is 10.
January 31st, 2011, 10:56 PM
Yes it worked!! Last week Wednesday, I was 38 weeks pregnant and my doctor did a membrane sweep on me. My dilation went from 1cm to 3cms and 80% effaced at the time. She told me I would be delivering in the next two days. 2 days later, no baby. So Saturday at 150pm I decided to try a castor oil shake: 2 oz castor oil, 2 large spoonfuls of ice cream, and milk. I held my nose and got down about half of the drink before I had to breath. I quickly followed it with a lemon and hot tea. I waited and 25 mins later I had my first contraction. W/I the next hour and a half my contractions ranged from 11 to 26 mins apart. So at 330pm I started bouncing on my yoga ball until 5pm; the entire time my contractions ranged from 2 to 4 minutes apart. I got to the hospital at 6pm and was 4cm dilated. I was giving pitocin at 7pm to make contractions more regular. I had a healthy baby at 0138am with no meconium issues. That was yesterday morning, now
I'm home with my baby and so glad I tried the Castor oil. I really believe it worked with a little help from the yoga ball!
January 31st, 2011, 10:58 PM
Yes it worked!! Last week Wednesday, I was 38 weeks pregnant and my doctor did a membrane sweep on me. My dilation went from 1cm to 3cms and 80% effaced at the time. She told me I would be delivering in the next two days. 2 days later, no baby. So Saturday at 150pm I decided to try a castor oil shake: 2 oz castor oil, 2 large spoonfuls of ice cream, and milk. I held my nose and got down about half of the drink before I had to breath. I quickly followed it with a lemon and hot tea. I waited and 25 mins later I had my first contraction. W/I the next hour and a half my contractions ranged from 11 to 26 mins apart. So at 330pm I started bouncing on my yoga ball until 5pm; the entire time my contractions ranged from 2 to 4 minutes apart. I got to the hospital at 6pm and was 4cm dilated. I was giving pitocin at 7pm to make contractions more regular. I had a healthy baby at 0138am with no meconium issues. That was yesterday morning, now
I'm home with my baby and so glad I tried the Castor oil. I really believe it worked with a little help from the yoga ball!
February 22nd, 2011, 07:23 PM
I am 38 weeks and beyond miserable...this is my 3rd child...i have gone into labor 2 times already and was given the shot to stop it....i can barely walk, in so much pain....he has already dropped...for the last month i have been dialated 1-2cm...i have been contemplating using castor oil, however i am hesitant because i have tried it before with my 2nd child and it didn't cause labor, just diarhea....so confused on what to do....please someonegive me some advice!!!!
March 5th, 2011, 01:11 PM
My expierience with Castor oil was a positive one. I was 70% effaced and 2 centimeters dialated. I went home and drank 1 teaspoon mixed in some OJ. I was 38 weeks pregnant. I went to bed shortly after thinking nothing was going to happen. I had only taken a small amount. I woke up at 2:00 a.m. with a sharp pain. I went to the bathroom and had 1 small bowel movement. It was very loose. Then as I stood up my water broke. My daughter was born 15 minutes later in the front seat of the car. She is now a very healthy 4 year old who excels in everything. I am now 27 weeks pregnant again and have all intentions on using this method again when I am due if I havent yet went on my own.For me it was a much easier labor than when I was pitocin induced with my son. I do believe that if you are not ready to go into labor anyway than it wont work. I think the body must already be ready and using the castor oil to kinda jump start things. I had already lost my mucas plug and I believe my body was ready. I will wait again this time till at least 38 weeks. I don't believe it makes the baby have bowels either. It doesnt even get in your bloodstream and therefore shouldnt reach the baby at all. But who am I to say? Good luck all.
March 10th, 2011, 06:13 PM
I do not recommend this.... I tried it with my son and I could have had major complications. It caused him to go # 2 inside of me and they said that can be really dangerous.. Not to mention it didn't work and kept me on the toilte all night.
March 11th, 2011, 10:22 PM
heres my story i thought i'd share... i have 2 girls and 2 boys and now pregnant with baby number 5 another girl. For my oldest i never took anything, even after been told to by my doctor and midwife. With my 2nd i took it had a few contractions had my blood show about a hour later went to the hospital and she was out in 4 hours easy labor and that was my very first time i took it. i then took it with my sons also my oldest son was late by 2 days and then i took it i had to fight with his dad to let me but he want me to take that night only cause he went are son to be born on the 6th of june of 2006 . so i took it at 9 at night had some contractions all night long at 6 am went to the bathroom and only peed bloody show once again and went to the hospital had him at 1139am the next morning . I also took it for my 4 the child my youngest son at 39 weeks and it did the same went to that bath room has one bowel movement and went in to labor later that night at 11 at night ( took it at 8 earlier that night) went to the hospital after figure it take about 4 hours to fully for him to come out seens the others where close to that had a few big contractions walk through the hallways of the hopital by the time i got on to the labor bed i was ready to push right after my water broke in the nurses hand by 320 am he was born . am now thinking about doing it with this baby number 5 already bought it but waiting intill later tonight to take it. all my childern are healthy and the oldest is 8 the youngest 2 soon to be 3. none of them had any problems nor did i.
March 12th, 2011, 03:54 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Dont do it!! Its not worth the risk, ok it may put you into labour but who knows what effect it will have on you and most importantly the baby! You could be putting their lives at risk or give them severe stomach cramps. Why would you risk it?

[/url]

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search