Subchorionic Hematoma

JustMommies Article Commentary

This forum contains links to threads containing comments from our Members about our articles. To read our articles, click on the topics in the pink top navigation bar above.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To JustMommies Article Commentary LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 17th, 2010, 08:16 PM
Best part of having a SCH is all the ultrasounds! We have a scrapbook filled!
November 19th, 2010, 03:21 AM
ottermom's Avatar Member
Send a message via Skype™ to ottermom
Very new here. Was on another board for the past two weeks, but I kind of wanted to share my story anonymously here, because I do not want to upset my current belly buddies, and this has been a good thread on this topic.

I am 45yo, happily married for twelve years, and this is my first viable pregnancy at 11 weeks that I remember. We were not "planning" so we have only had the past two weeks to get used to the reality, and I have not even scheduled an appt with my doctor yet for blood work and u/s. Maybe because I was afraid the pregnancy would disappear as it has in the past.

In any case, I have spent this time exploring these boards, reading others stories, and trying to wrap my head around what is happening in my body. For the past two months in total oblivion I have been dealing with urgent urination around the clock, constipation, sleeplessness and nausea supreme, but I attributed it to stress and other things up until the 9 week mark where I actually looked at a calendar and calculated when the beginning of my last cycle was. And I began to realize I was right on tract for a June bundle of joy.

This week 11, the nausea and frequent need to pee alleviated, and I started to notice other things, like the growing twinges, heavy feeling in my lower abdomen, and pain in my groin muscles and elsewhere, and the boobs are bothering me again. Now that I am finally ready to get HAPPY and have accepted the realities, yesterday after a hard BM, I started to spot. At first it was just one red smear, then a slow brown stain. This afternoon I started feeling cramping, and the brown stain became continuous watery brown spotting with mucousy balls or strands in this sometimes, but this is NOTHING like my normal period. My normal flow is thick and red like lumpy raspberry jam (sorry). My doctors have always told me that I have an extra thick uterine wall, so I shed a lot of blood and for a full seven days.

I have had severe PCOS which made it difficult to get pregnant in my 20's and 30's (with almost non-existent periods or ovulation and not very good medical care). After going through a couple close positives that became agonizing m/c, I gave up trying when I was 39. But I recently, in the past three years, lost 100 pounds and have been on metformin, approaching what I assumed was peri-menopause as well, my hormones completely corrected themselves, and I have been on a normal 28 day cycle, with normal periods, and a whole slew of normal healthy hormonal changes every month for about two years. But making babies was the LAST thing on my mind.

Of course, somebody warned me that MAYBE I could pregnant now, but I thought I was too old (ignorance, again). Since the very early years of marriage, my husband and I have not used contraceptives. I have medical issues that reject every form except abstinence. And we have practiced abstinence for a season in our marriage, but not for the past two years after my weight loss. *lol* What I am saying is, it has been SEVEN years since we stopped that bipolar preoccupation with getting pregnant. I cannot go through all that again, but having this l/o sneak in and set up camp is making me all goofy again.

Anyway, so, searching the web for answers, I started to recognize that this brown spotting, could be caused by a SCH? I am wondering if anyone else was ever diagnosed with an extra thick uterine wall, and if this contributes to SCH and miscarriages? That is my rational question. Emotionally I am a wreck, as I was starting to really like the idea of a June baby. Even my husband was starting to come on board. He does not like to see me go through all this "at my age" though. Argh! If I lose this one, I do not know if he will consent to trying for a planned pregnancy.

Sorry for the long wind. It is late and my belly hurts. I live in an isolated community with a pretty good medical clinic, but my favorite doctor left town a few months ago, and I was reluctant to choose a new one out of the choices I had. I am going to be bereft without her, and hope I can settle in with another that I like, who will not continually lecture me about everything I have done wrong, which apparently is a lot.

November 21st, 2010, 10:46 PM
ottermom's Avatar Member
After I wrote the above, during the next afternoon, I started to have very sharp contractions and started passing clots. I had an anxiety attack and almost passed out on the toilet. We went to the ER, they found a strong heartbeat, and the cervix was still closed. Was prescribed magnesium and progesterone, and told "bed rest" until the bleeding stops. Now I have diarrhea too. At times it does not look good, then I get some rest and feel almost good; and then I have to go to the bathroom, and moving causes a gush of blood, too. The pain has subsided. I think the breast soreness has subsided too. I do not know whether that is good or bad. I am trying to stay positive, but I really do not understand how all this stuff can come out of me, and baby still stay in there. Poor baby. More tests, and hopefully an US, this week. And I have yet to choose a new physician to take me through all this. I wish I had posted all this on the Complications Board, but did not know where I was or what I was doing here a few days ago.
December 9th, 2010, 10:41 PM
I was at 11 weeks when I woke up to heavy bright red bleeding. I called the er and they told me to wait it out that I was likely having a miscarrige. By morning the bleeding had stopped so I called my midwife who ordered a US that day diagnois =SCH and advised me that I could continue normal activity along with pelvic rest the tear was very little. 6 days later I had another heavy bleed and again stopped by morning so I did nothing 2 days later check my self into the er with left flank pain and very heavy feeling in lower abdomen. US ordered and found a very healthy baby surrounded in alot of blood along with a kidney stone. So admitted to hospital for the night then released on bed rest with a very threatend pregnancy. I then see a midwife again following that event that puts me on modified bed rest with no heavy lifting and pelvic rest. So now @ 15 weeks I start bleeding again but this time with clots and you can tell that it is old blood not bright red. Ultrasound again shows many clots instead of just blood and the same tear slightly larger. The radiologist seems to think that I should keep activity down but looks like a very viable pregnancy the midwife, although positive painted a little more grim picture reminding me the threat of miscarriage. The most frustrating thing with the 2 doctors 2 midwives 1 obgyn phone consult and 1 radiologist doing last ultra sound......not a one of them say the same thing or have a definant fix! I know there is no medical solution to this I just wish there was one reccomendation to follow. Tired of being slowed down and worrying so much. My last 2 pregnancies were uneventful with 2 beautiful boys non of this worrying.
December 10th, 2010, 10:08 AM
Hi there,

I have been reading these stories for over a month now and thought I would share mine.

I was 13 weeks, 3 days pregnant at work when suddenly it felt like I had wet my pants. I stood up from my desk and felt a few more warm liquid gushes. Off to the bathroom I ran only to discover bright red fluid completely soaking my underwear and pants.

I rushed to my OBG only to be told by him that I was having a miscarriage. My husband and I were devestated. We called our families and told them the grim news. An hour and a half later I was sent for an ultrasound. To our surprise there was our baby happy and healthy. We spoke to my Dr after the US and he told us that I had a SCH and I was still at a high risk for miscarriage. I was sent home to rest. The heavy bleeding stopped by that night.

I am now 18 weeks 5 days pregnant. I have bled every day for the last 5 weeks. At first it was brown blood with some small clots and stringy bits. The last 2 weeks it seems that the blood pools at night when I sleep. In the mornings when I wake up and pee, red blood comes out and changes the colour of the toilet bowl water. As the day progress the bleeding lightens up and by night it is back to dark red spotting. This cycle repeats every day.

I saw my OBG yesterday and he informed me that the SCH is still there measuring 6x6x2.5 cm. He also told me that for the next 5 1/2 weeks I have to just sit at home, take it easy and wait. Once I hit 24 weeks (viability date) I will be admitted to the hospital and the baby will be monitored. If it gets to a point where my son is in distress they will do a c-section and deliver him.

All of this makes me very nervous. I can not imagine having to go through what some of the mothers on here have gone through. My heart breaks for them. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I will make it to Jan.16th.
December 10th, 2010, 02:11 PM
I found out a week and a half ago that I was pregnant. Very unexpected as my two boys are 12 and 15!! But as unexpected as it was it was a delight!! A week after I found out I started bleeding. Called the dr immediately and they had me come in and did blood work. On Tuesday this week I went in and had an US done. The babies heartbeat was very strong and my blood work came back with my numbers being very high. I definitely showed that I had SCH. They told me to take it easy, no heavy lifting and minimal walking. The dr also said the blood I lose should be brown old blood and that I should be worried with bright red blood. Yesterday was my worse. I bled a lot and lost a lot of blood clots. Is this also supposed to be normal?? Should we be losing blood clots? This is by far so scary!!! I have an appt to have another US on Thursday. I hate the thought of every day not knowing if this bleeding is affecting my little angel!
Any encouring words are much appreciated!

Thanks!
December 11th, 2010, 03:56 PM
I am very thankful for every ones stories it is a comfort to know i am not alone with SCH . On Monday 5 weeks i went the DR about bleeding after sex and mild cramping he did blood test to check that my HCG was going up ,every thing was fine. Than on Friday i started getting the worst cramps but no bleeding.I went to the ER while i was there started bleeding and had clots i was an emotional wreck having 2 miscarriages in the past the pain felt the same . They did a US and found sch surrounding half the sac measuring 2.5x2.4. The E.R DR. did not even say i had SCH and that it may be the beginning of a miscarry to go home and see normal DR the following week. I found out by reading the letter the ER DR wrote to my normal DR there was SCH. I don't understand why they would not even tell me what is happening . Thinking i am losing my baby. I am having a US at 6 weeks.I cant handle the waiting to see my normal DR. I am so glad there is site like this to help women who feel lost as what is going on.
December 29th, 2010, 02:20 PM
**UPDATE**

I have noticed that there are a lot of posts on this topic but not many women have given updates. Here is an update to my last post.

I am still resting at home and waiting for my next ultrasound which will be on Friday. Last week I had another ultrasound done and I was told the Hematoma is still there but measuring a bit smaller now. It's size is now 3.5 x 5 x 2.3. The bleeding has really slowed down now and some days it's gone completely. I asked my OBG last week if I was in a better situation if the bleeding stops but the hematoma is still there? He told me that it does not matter if I bleed or not, as long as the hematoma remains the risks are still there. Let's hope the next ultrasound on Friday shows another decrease in size.
December 30th, 2010, 04:17 AM
ottermom's Avatar Member
*** UPDATE ***
Well, after my bleed and bed rest in November, things were going fine. I hardly had any pregnancy symptoms at all, except the growing belly. I was suffering from insomnia, and could only sleep 2-3 hours at a time, then be awake until I was exhausted enough to sleep. Then, at 16 weeks, we heard babies heartbeat on home monitor, which was quite relieving. I decided to enjoy a full day at a friends house Christmas Eve, helping with dinner, light duties. The next morning, Christmas Day, I woke up to pink spotting. I canceled all activities for that day, and stayed in bed. The bleeding progressed from light brown spotting to medium bright red flow, with very small clots and some fibrous material over three days. It was not like a normal period - lighter, half as many days, only mild cramps and cleaner somehow. Uterus felt tender, but not painful. After the bleed my gut size seemed to shrink, but baby's heartbeat and movement is still strong. After last months traumatic bleed with so much panic, I really purposed to stay calm, keep my heart rate and blood pressure normal, and just wait it out. I have got a general exam coming up next week with my GP, then I have my 20 week u/s coming up soon, and that will be one milestone. Then we pray for 24 weeks.

Blessings of light, love and joy to all,
OtterMom
December 30th, 2010, 07:05 PM
MamaRN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I should probably update too!

I was diagnosed with SCH in this pregnancy at 6 weeks (having lost a prior pregnancy at 8 weeks due to SCH with several heavy bleeds) and followed with every other week ultrasound and modified activity and pelvic rest. I was taken out of work but not placed on bedrest, and I have been taking care of my 18 month old DD. At 11 weeks they could not find the SCH and told me they thought it was gone and would not come back. I was so relieved!

This SCH did not bleed at all (where the previous one with my loss I had 3 big bleeds with lots of bright red blood and plum sized clots) until 12 weeks 2 days, I woke up in the night with wet pants and had pinkish fluid and when I stood up reddish pink fluid gushed out and began to get darker. I called the on call OB and went back the next day for another ultrasound (my 6th!) and they thought they saw another SCH, but couldn't be sure. I went home to rest for a week and came back for another U/S and they did not see an SCH but instead saw I have placenta previa, and that may have caused the bleeding. Since 12w2d I have not had any more bleeding thankfully and baby continues to do well.

I'm just hoping I have seen the end of SCH!!!

January 7th, 2011, 01:10 PM
Kay!! After reading all the stories it made me feel so much better so glad I have this in common with someone bc I've never heard of it, I always thought bleeding when pregnant means miscarriage.. I'm 26 with 3 heathly pregnancies, this one was sooo unexpected we gt marina took out on October 27 and found out on december 5th we were expecting agin and was happy but shocked and at 5 weeks I started spotting went to er and was told threatened misscarrige, my followup with my ob 2 days later said I was 5 weeks 4 days heart was beating but couldn't read it bc it was too small yet!!

Next week heart was beating 126 and they moved my due dat back 3 days.. And said okay everything you can start with every 4 weeks visits now, that was a Wednesday of last weeks on yesterday a Thursday I was in line at a fast food restaurant. For breakfast and felt like I peed myself, went to the bathroom to find blood and started freaking out I live in bfe and my drs office is a hour away. I called them and was told to come in immediately.

I arrive after historically crying the whole way ad right off te bat they took me back for us and I was like do we have to? Bc I just knew I had lost it and just didn't wanna face it right then! But i went on back and she inserted the wand and automatically I saw the heartbeat before she saud anything and was bauling agin!! I was bleeding all on the table and she not y dr said ok honey it's okay there's the blood be hid your after birth it but cervixs are closed and babys heart beat is 160 don't let is drive you crazy!

The nurse tells me I'm bleeding bc of sch and it happens before miscarriages yes but I also happens and women have healthy babies and normal pregnacys other than the bleeding! Dr came in said the same and I went home!

I bleed a small amout after but after yesterday it's only when I pee and wipe there's blood none is hitting my panty liner!! And it's only brown now!!

I loved so very much reading you guys stories it made me feel so much better even though I know it isn't for sure i have y'alls posts to make me smile through the tears!!

Good luck and god bless to you all!!
January 8th, 2011, 04:45 PM
I'm 5 weeks along and started bleeding about 5 days ago I went to the emergency the first time and they did nothingbut draw blood and told me I'm fine . I knew bleeding while pregnant wasn't fine 2 days later it started again pouring out in the toilet I went back this time they gave mr a internal and external ultrasound letting me know that my baby was in the right spot and then they told me I hast a blos clot . I'm quite confused becuz I asked then was I going to miscarry and they said it's a 50 50 chance . I'm on bed reSt and just praying that my pregnancy last. I'm still bleeding and they told me it would continue just drink plenty of fluids ando have to go back in seven days.
January 8th, 2011, 05:08 PM
Hello,

I'm 9 weeks pregnant and i been at the hospital 3 times so far for bleeding and spotting. Everytime i been at the hospital i though i was having a miscarriage but they were always able to find a heart beat. I am now on bed rest. I would like to exchange emails with someone with a similar situation. My email is sbebe04 at yahoo
Thank you
January 10th, 2011, 10:41 PM
I am also nine weeks pregnant with a hematoma. So far I have had 2 crazy bleeding episodes with cramping and I thought for sure I had miscarrried. It is so hard not knowing how things will turn out. My husband and I want this baby so badly. I would love an e-mail buddy to help get though this.
January 12th, 2011, 03:55 AM
Hi All..
I am new to this forum and the reason I decided to post here is to share my experience with all you mommies to be. I am 13 weeks 5 days pregnant as of today.. I too was diagnosed with a very very thin rim of subchorionic hematoma at 5 weeks 6 days....I had no abdomen pain or heavy bleeding....just light spotting and when I say light, I mean something like a tiny piece of dark brown thread...thats all.. But I had this feeling of 'something is not right' and wanted an assurance form my Ob-gyn that it was all fine...they did a trans vaginal ultrasound and found out about the SCH..I was shattered as this is a planned pregnancy...my first. My doctor was not at all compassionate when I asked her what this meant..she simply said this means you could miscarry..and put me on progesterone supplements ,weekly HCG injections and strict bed rest. I followed it like I had no spine and getting off bed was not an option at all. Then at 8 weeks they found out that my SCH had gotten bigger measuring 22mmX5mm..still considered small. I went back for another U/S at 11 weeks when they found no evidence of the SCH...my baby was swimming inside non stop and the heart beat was a healthy 163 bpm.

So all of you..just be positive and try not to stress yourselves. I know it is hard to even think of something else, but support from family and positive attitude helps.
My doctor also told me that it is very unlikely that the SCH will re appear..

So keeping my fingers crossed and just waiting for July with baited breath..
Good luck to all of you...
January 12th, 2011, 11:59 AM
I started cramping and bleeding at 10 weeks while I was at work. We went to the ER and they did blood work and exames and told me it looks like the start of a miscarage.But my cervix was closed, I was freaking out. They did a ultra sound and found a healthy baby with a heart rate of 170. We saw our baby with fingers and waving. It was hard not knowing. I went to our doctor the next day and he found that I have subchorionic hemorrhage. The doctor has put me on bed rest for a week. I have continued to spot and have terriblr cramps. The cramps are almost all day. The only thing that seems to help is laying down and keeping my feet up. My doctor wants me to go back to work and try to sit but I cant stand for more than 1/2 without terrible cramping and sitting doesnt work at my job. Im scared. I dont want to lose my baby, and I feel that bed rest is the only thing that will help.
January 12th, 2011, 04:13 PM
reading most of this is making me feel better!! still would like some feedback...

i'm 7 1/2 weeks. i started spotting pink on sunday. went in to hospital and had blood work done. went in on monday morning for u/s. we got a heartbeat at 131bpm but was told that i had a small bleed behind sac. last night the spotting go slightly worse with very tiny clots. went back to hospital to have another u/s. still had heartbeat but it had dropped to 113 and still had bleed. not sure if it had gotten worse or not. was just told that it had shifted.

feedback asap is greatly appreciated!!!
January 13th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Hi,

I am going to the Dr. bc I have been having some bleeding as well I amnot sure if I am miscarrying as of yet but I had a u/s on 29th and the babies HB was 148 bpm but had some bleeding b4 I went in for that appt on that Sunday and passed a clot and I told her about it and she said I was fine and had some bleeding after the appt. and called the midwive and she said she wasnt worried about it and would love to email you to find out more about SCH.
January 15th, 2011, 02:58 PM
I had cramping and a lot of bleeding at 13 weeks. I woke up in the middle of the night. I went to the ER and after an ultrasound they said it was a threatened miscarriage and told me to go to my OB in the morning. At the OB, I found out the bleed measured at 4cm x 2 cm but the baby looked fine. I continued to spot brown blood for a week after the inital bleed. I went back 1 week later and the hematoma reduced to 3cm x 1 cm. I went back to the Dr. again 1 week later. She said since I had no more bleeding I could get off of bedrest but to take it easy. I haven't had any other bleeding since. I am now almost 17 weeks. I am still praying everything will be okay but it seems like the baby and me are back on the right track.
January 24th, 2011, 06:51 PM
I am abt 8 weeks pregnant and i have been bleeding. The dr says it's a blood clot in the uterus. Bleeding on and off and nervous. As per the ultrasound baby heartbeat is strong, but my body needs to absorb the blood clot. I
don't know what to do anymore, so i leave it all to God.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search