Subchorionic Hematoma

JustMommies Article Commentary

This forum contains links to threads containing comments from our Members about our articles. To read our articles, click on the topics in the pink top navigation bar above.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To JustMommies Article Commentary LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 25th, 2011, 05:56 AM
Hello! I was diagnosed with a blood clot at 6 weeks and 4 days. I had brown blood one morning and then by the afternoon it turned into bright red blood. After being admitted to the hospital with so much bleeding, they did a sonogram and found a 1.2 cm blood clot on my placenta. I just knew I had experienced a m/c, but we heard a very strong heartbeat! I was put on strict bed rest and IV fluids for a whole week while they monitored the blood blot and the baby. By the time I left the hospital the blood clot had reduced to .65 cm. I am now on my third week of bedrest, but will be going back to work soon. I am 9 weeks and 2 days, the baby's heartbeat was very strong during our 5th sonogram a few days ago. Just hoping that I make it to the 2nd trimester where the chances are a lot greater that this little one will continue growing inside of me!
January 25th, 2011, 06:28 PM

I first want to thank everyone on here for sharing their stories as I really thought I was alone. I am currently 11wks 5days. Around 7 weeks I noticed brown spotting in my panties. I immediately thought I was miscarrying as I had a previous miscarriage with the same discharge. Boy was I relieved when I went to the ER to see my little peanut on the sonogram screen and I was able to hear the heartbeat! The doctor advised me to follow up with my OBGYN in which I did however I wasn't able to receive my first ultrasound until 2 weeks later. Now 2 weeks does not seem long however it is decades away when u r anxious to know whether your baby will be OK. During the sonogram I found that I had a Subchorionic Hematoma. The technician couldn't offer much information except it was small. I was advised to not lift, pull or do any strenuous activity and I had to come back in 2 weeks. By 10 weeks the hematoma had dissolved and one week prior I noticed that I did not have any discharge when wiping myself. Last night around 2:45am I felt wetness between my legs and I thought I peed myself so I ran to the bathroom only to find bright red blood. My heart dropped and I immediately began to cry. My previous pregnancy did not make it past 7 weeks so to be this far along I had all faith that this pregnancy would make it to the end. My family is so happy as I am the last to have a baby and my boyfriend can not go to sleep at night without having his hand on my growing belly. My boyfriend and I rushed to the emergency room. I received blood work, a vaginal exam and 2 sonograms. It seemed like forever before the doctor informed me that the baby looks good and is surrounded by fluid with a great heartbeat. I was also informed that I had another Subchorionic Hematoma. I am really trying to be optimistic about my situation and reading successful stories provides me with much relief. I pray everyday that in 7 months I will be able to finally meet a healthy baby boy or girl. This message board is so helpful and I will definitely provide updates on my progress as it is helping me to share my story and read other similar stories.
January 27th, 2011, 08:23 PM
TO MDickson. I was reading about SCH because my neighbor/coworker's 19 y.o. daughter has it and is bleeding profusely. I read your post and it broke my heart. My daughter lost two babies, not to SCH, though. The first baby girl was born at 17 weeks due to premature membrane rupture. The second baby, a boy, was born at 24 weeks and only lived less than 1 day; they both were perfect babies, just born too early. But their is a silver lining in this story. My daughter went on to have 2 beautfiul little girls with the help of a very good high-risk OB and a lot of prayers, bed rest and a cervix stitch. So, hang in there, you are not alone. Another child cannot replace the one you lost, but any future children will be that much more precious to you. I know! Annette

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdickson View Post
Hi Everyone,

At around 12 weeks, I was diagnosed with a SCH. Around 19 weeks, I went to a high risk pregnancy clinic, and they said the hematoma was thinning very well. From 12 weeks to 19 weeks, I had had a lot of brown "old" blood come out. I was told I could still go about my usual routine, just no heavy lifting, jumping and running around, etc. This past Wednesday, I woke up with horrible cramps, which were actually contractions. I went to my OB and she sent me to the hospital. They tried brethene to stop the contractions and sent me home. I was back in less than an hour, the brethene did nothing. The hospital sent me by ambulance to a medical clinic that specializes in high risk pregnancies. I was put on magnesium sulfate for about 48 hours. That really seemed to quiet my uterus, which was contracting to get all the blood out. Once they took me off the magnesium sulfate, I did fine on my own for several hours. April 17th, at about 1:00 in the morning, I woke up with bad contractions. They put me on pain medication so I wouldn't feel the contractions. They said they couldn't do anything else because it was so early in the pregnancy. It didn't feel early in the pregnancy to me. When you see and hear your baby's heartbeat, find out the sex, and feel him kick in you, you aren't early in the pregnancy anymore. I gave birth to a 20 week old baby yesterday morning. He lived for two hours on his own before he left us. I went through the contractions and the normal birthing process only to come home with a keepsake box of his footprints. This is so hard on me and my husband, and it makes me question if I can go through another pregnancy. I loved my little boy, and I wish this didn't have to happen to him. He was perfect - no birth defects, strong heartbeat, always over the weight he should be in the preganncy books I have read. He did nothing wrong. This SCH made me lose my baby.
January 31st, 2011, 12:46 PM
I had an ultrasound on my first visit to the doctor after taking a home pregnancy test. Per the ultrasound, I was 6 wks 2 days & my baby had a heartbeat rate of 162 bpm. The doctor (or PA) said that the ultrasound showed that I had SCH & that I may have some slight bleeding during the first trimester, but that it was completely normal & I shouldn't worry. I was sick as a dog during those first weeks with pain in my abdomin, but just chalked it up to morning sickness & hoped it would abate after the first trimester. About 10 weeks into the pregnancy I got a call from the dr.'s office stating that my labs showed that I had a urinary tract infection & they prescribed an antibiotic. That night I felt like I was having bracston hicks (false contractions) but again thought nothing of it and they went away by the next day. I went for my follow-up appt when I was 11 wks 5 days and PA couldn't find a fetal heartbeat. They did an ultrasound and said there was no heartbeat and no blood flow. I was scheduled for a D&C that day and have been trying to deal with the trauma of that ever since. I didn't even know what a SCH was or how dangerous it could be to the pregnancy. I feel lied to and regret not doing the proper research at the time. I have 3 VERY active children and went about life as normal without any restrictions. Maybe had I been aware of the seriousness of this condition I could have taken it easy. I never had any vaginal bleeding, just a feeling of discomfort. To all the women who have lost a baby due to SCH, my heart goes out to you & you are in my prayers. To those of you who still have SCH, please rest, rest, rest & I pray that you have the chance to hold your healthy little one. God bless!
February 7th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Hi everyone. As promised I will provide updates on my experience with the Subchorionic Hematoma. I received an ultrasound on February 2 and all was well with the baby. I stopped spotting altogether about 2 days after the red blood episode. To date I have not noticed any further spotting. My doctor informed me not to get my hopes up too high until I reach 24 wks., but I can't help but feel happy especially seeing how big my baby is getting on the u/c.
February 8th, 2011, 01:20 PM
Hi all,
I just wanted to tell you all my story to give you hope as when I was diagnosed with a SCH I was trawling every site hourly, desperate for some positive advice. At 9.5 weeks (& on New Year's Eve) I started having a dark brown discharge & was terrified as I had had a miscarriage at exactly the same time 1.5 years previously. It took 4 days to get a scan and then miraculously we saw that there was still a heartbeat & I was diagnosed with SCH. I then bled everyday ( differing amounts until I was 12.5 weeks), the night before my 13 week scan, I woke up with dreadful cramps and stood up to find pink blood running down my legs (sorry for the graphic description). When I got to the bathroom, I started passing a couple of huge clots as big as the palm of my hand & was totally devastated. Unbelievably on my scan the next day all was still well - we were truly amazed!! I continued to bleed daily until week 19 - sometimes heavily / red / dark etc. But I now have a 6 month healthy baby boy and wanted to let you all know there is sometimes a bright light at the end of the tunnel. Other things I learnt is that the position of the SCH affects the severity - it seems to be more positive if it is under the baby & not above (as it doesn't push down on the baby putting pressure on the placenta); that in scans the bleed measurements can change from being 2 inches to 5 inches in a day - so don't worry about the size too much (even 7-10 inches is not considered big) and lastly in the UK they really didn't worry about this & the Drs insist there is nothing you can do to change the outcome of the pregnancy so don't sit and stress (if that is at all possible??). I meant to log on & write this 6 months ago - just to let anyone looking for some positive stories know that even in your darkest hour - there is still hope! xxxx
February 14th, 2011, 12:43 PM
At 5 weeks I was diagnosed with 2 SCH's. I was told that I should just go ahead and have a D&C, because it was likely that I would lose the baby. I refused, and got a second opinion. The new Dr. said I was high risk and I was put on house arrest. I had bleeding until 14 weeks, but the clot dissolved on its own, finally. I had a beautiful baby boy at 36 weeks! My little guy is now 2 years old and we couldn't be happier. I couldn't imagine our life if we would have listened to our first horrible Dr. At the time there was NO information out there about SCH. So to all of you looking for some advice...REST! Relax, don't worry and listen to your body! You can get through it!
February 21st, 2011, 07:03 AM
Hi all,
I remember as if it was yesterday, around 6pm I started to bleed, it was dark brown blood, I called my husband straight away and then we called my doctor, they told me there was nothing they could do about it, and asked me if I was feeling any pain, which I wasn't so they told me to wait until next the day. After spending the night crying and worried about my baby, the next morning we went to see my doctor, it was my first scan, I was 6 weeks pregnant, I saw my baby and the heartbeat. That was amazing, my doctor then told me that she didn't know the reason I was bleeding but that I should rest and don't do anything like cleaning or exercises, I still bled for few days.
In the end of the same week I went to see my doctor again, she just wanted to check if everything was ok with me and the baby. Everything seemed to be ok, but at that time she noticed I had SCH. She told me to sleep lots and don't exercise and etc.
The next day, Saturday night around 11pm I had a bright red bleeding, and this time it wouldn't stop, I started to panic and we called the hospital, they again told me to wait until the next morning, I was bleeding so much this time and the blood was fresh blood, I cried the whole night thinking I was having a miscarriage and could not believe that just one day before I was at the hospital and saw my baby and the heart beat.
So the next morning, Sunday morning, we had another scan and the baby was fine and it had a heart beat. The doctor was an emergency doctor, I informed her about my SCH and she told me the hematoma was still there. They told me to go back the next day to see my doctor. During that afternoon, back at home, I went to the toilet and suddenly I felt something coming out, it was a sac full of dark blood, I started to scream, I could not believe in what I was seeing, my husband panicked and we both could not talk to each other, we were so sad and we thought that was our baby, I could not touch the sac, I didn't want to see what it was inside it.
That day we have decided that I would not go to the doctor the next day, I have decided to wait until Friday, my husband and I were so devastated with everything and we were in denial, we couldn't accept it, that that might be our baby, and so we called my doctor and told them we weren't going to go until Friday, 5 days after this.
Last Friday the 18th Feb, I went to the doctor, and we saw our baby now with 21.5 mm, and it was moving, as if nothing happened. The most amazing moment of my life, was to see my baby with strong heart beat moving the head, I believe that this feeling is the feeling that only us, who are going through this, we who have SCH, women who everyday and every time is scared to go to the toilet can feel, nobody knows how much we have been affected by this and what seeing the baby heartbeat after a night bleeding and crying can mean to us. This feeling that God exist and is protecting our baby, from the hematoma. That there is hope and things might be ok, and that we might have a beautiful healthy baby.
I am here writing to let you all know that I found out that my hematoma is gone, and that the bleeding on Saturday night and also the sac of dark was blood was the clot, and the hematoma is gone. I still need to be careful, and rest a lot, but the hematoma is no longer there, the doctor could not see it there anymore. My next appointment will be in 4 weeks. I will let you all know about everything.
The reason I am writing is to let you all know that we there is hope, I was one week in bed, and my husband helped me doing everything from cooking to cleaning, I believe that having help is the best thing, when something like this happens, we know it is time to dedicated yourself to only one thing, yourself, rest lots, and ask help for those around you, they will help you. Good Luck to all you you!!
I wish you all the best.
Love Lyra
February 21st, 2011, 06:04 PM
Issues of interest. Thanks for all the comments.
February 23rd, 2011, 07:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleandjeff2010 View Post
Hello! I was diagnosed with a blood clot at 6 weeks and 4 days. I had brown blood one morning and then by the afternoon it turned into bright red blood. After being admitted to the hospital with so much bleeding, they did a sonogram and found a 1.2 cm blood clot on my placenta. I just knew I had experienced a m/c, but we heard a very strong heartbeat! I was put on strict bed rest and IV fluids for a whole week while they monitored the blood blot and the baby. By the time I left the hospital the blood clot had reduced to .65 cm. I am now on my third week of bedrest, but will be going back to work soon. I am 9 weeks and 2 days, the baby's heartbeat was very strong during our 5th sonogram a few days ago. Just hoping that I make it to the 2nd trimester where the chances are a lot greater that this little one will continue growing inside of me!
I am wondering how you are doing. I am 6 weeks pregnant and found out Monday that I have a blood clot as well. I have had a little bleeding and cramping but not too much else. I go back on Monday to hopefully find good news and a heartbeat. I had an ectopic in December and am extremely nervous and anxious. I hope you are doing well.
February 23rd, 2011, 07:10 PM
Send a message via AIM to Tara050290 Send a message via MSN to Tara050290 Send a message via Yahoo to Tara050290 Send a message via Skype™ to Tara050290
Hi ladies I am in the same boat you guys are. Recently I found out that I had a blood clot in my uterus. That honestly scared me to death, they said it was small. However, that doesn't take away the fear. Today I noticed more blood than usual still brown and slightly pink, but no red. That in it's self is a relief, but honestly there isn't anyway to make you feel better. I do hope in october I'll have a healthy baby. For now it is a waiting game and it is very hard to sit back and relax. I have a doctor's appointment friday, and I pray they see a healthy heartbeat. When I went last time I was 5 weeks and they saw a heartbeat around 100 beats a little low, but they said it was from the baby's heart just forming. Now I am about 6 weeks and 4 days, far as I know the baby is fine. Still you can't get over the pain in your heart or the fear that your unborn child might not make it. This is my first pregnancy and it isn't at all what I planned. If bed rest is what I have to do for nine months so be it a couch potato I will be. I will pray that all you ladies have healthy children and I'm sorry to those that lost their unborn children. My heart goes out to you, I have no idea what that is like. Yet I do not want to know. Please keep my child in your hearts and prayers that he/she is strong enough to make it through this trying time.
Sincerely,
Tara L. C.
February 28th, 2011, 12:35 PM
I am a mess, I started bleeding yesterday (only when I went to the bathroom and wiped, weird i know) I went to the ER and they told be i had SCH. I am 9&1/2 weeks and scared. This is my first pregnancy, I just want to know there is a chance for everything to be ok...
March 2nd, 2011, 11:09 AM
HI Everyone, this term became new to me today as I experienced an SCH last night. It was random and spontaneous, just standing still I had bleeding and passed a large clot the size of the palm of my hand. I have suffered from multiple miscarriages over the course of 2 years and was mortified that I was experiencing the same last night. I was relieved at my ultrasound this morning that it was a blood clot. the clot is not near the baby which is even better. I am currently 9 weeks along and although worried about SCH, I am relieved it is not affecting the baby! I am on blood thinners and was taken off of it until the bleeding stops but apparently this is just random. I am here to support anyone that wants to vent!!!!
March 4th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Well, I am glad that I am not alone. I just found out I have this as well. I had some light bleeding this week, I am 8 weeks along, due in Oct. Called the doc and went in for an ultrasound right away. They found the clot, luckily it is not very large, but still scares me. I have been told no intercourse for two weeks after the symptoms go away, light walking but no heavy lifting or exercise. This is my second pregnancy and I have a 9 month at home that I will have to lift, but that's all I plan to do for awhile. Hubby can take care of other stuff. It was great to find this thread of comments and know that I am not the only one. They say it is common, but it still scares the crap out of me.
March 4th, 2011, 07:42 PM
I'm 8 weeks 1 day...I went to the doc today and my bleed hasn't gone away and it looks huge...its been two weeks since I found out about it. I haven't had spotting yet and hoping I don't. I'm so freaked out about it. How big was your bleed? Mine was a bout 5cm and the doc said that its pretty significant, but not too worry. It really didn't make me feel any better
March 4th, 2011, 07:46 PM
Send a message via AIM to Tara050290 Send a message via MSN to Tara050290 Send a message via Yahoo to Tara050290 Send a message via Skype™ to Tara050290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenniann View Post
I am a mess, I started bleeding yesterday (only when I went to the bathroom and wiped, weird i know) I went to the ER and they told be i had SCH. I am 9&1/2 weeks and scared. This is my first pregnancy, I just want to know there is a chance for everything to be ok...
Depends on the size if it is small then no worries but their is a risk that comes with it. If it keeps growing could be harmful, but in time it could just bleed out or be absorbed for now I wouldn't worry all to much. I'm sure you and your baby will be fine. also helps to read stories on these things alot of them are positive. Good luck and keep your head high.
March 7th, 2011, 09:52 AM
I'm 11 weeks and 4 days, and was officially diagnosed with sch just a week ago. i found out i was pregnant at week 6 and it has been such a roller coaster since...first because docs could see any baby nothing just black hole...ONE week later at 7weeks baby is seeing and hb found. good thought thats it we are good. at 8wks sudden gush of blood(no cramps or pain of any sort)...thought i was having a miscarriage rushed to the hospital and baby was found to be just fine..all the doctors said was that bleeding is normal early in pregnancy. four days later i went to see my ob and put me on bed rest for 5 days but didnt give me an other instructions except rest. five days later went back to work and since the first bleeding theres been spotting and very small thing blood clots passing. Days 6 went back to work and in the evening again gush of blood at home and this time maybe apprx. 3.5 inch blood clot pass very scary and alot of blood every where...went to see doctor 3 days later..said it was ok it happens but did another sonogram
in this sonogram the tech found two spots that caused an alert...and thus the first time i heard of sch...i was told to see the perionatalist. 3 days later i go to visit the specialist and immediately is stunned that i have not miscarriaged. He said to me while tech is performing sono to look at all the dark circles around the placenta...they were big blood clots and that since i had not been on full bed rest the possibility of losing the baby was huge. I was immediately placed on full bed rest with every possible restriction...no standing, no sitting more than 5 min...only time i can stand is to go to the bathroom thats it....otherwise, to remain in a horizontal position for the next two weeks...im due in next monday 3/14, hopefully some of these blood clots have been absorbed but until then one good thing so far is that day 2 of bed rest no more spotting...just wanted to share my current experience....
March 7th, 2011, 02:22 PM
Thanks Tara, I have been coping better, but would be lying if every little feeling i have in my belly i'm not worried. It's just so great to have people to talk to, although i wish no one was going through this.
At this point I spot very little, and only see fresh blood when I have a bowel movement.
When I was told about my clot they said a cm wide and a few mm long. SO from what i have been reading, it is very small, however i am hoping it hasn't grown.
March 8th, 2011, 08:35 AM
I wnt to the hospital last Wednesday and was told I had a SCH! was put on bed rest until my dr saw me yesterday! The SCH is still showing on the u/s but my little one was just a fighting and moving in thr! Been put on complete bed rest for 3 wks!!! but he assured my fiancÚ and I tht 90% of pregnancies are fine!! Good Luck yaw!!!
March 8th, 2011, 08:36 AM
I wnt to the hospital last Wednesday and was told I had a SCH! was put on bed rest until my dr saw me yesterday! The SCH is still showing on the u/s but my little one was just a fighting and moving in thr! Been put on complete bed rest for 3 wks!!! but he assured my fiancÚ and I tht 90% of pregnancies are fine!! Good Luck yaw!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search