Subchorionic Hematoma

JustMommies Article Commentary

This forum contains links to threads containing comments from our Members about our articles. To read our articles, click on the topics in the pink top navigation bar above.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To JustMommies Article Commentary LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 10th, 2011, 01:38 PM
hello there am new to this site.and i just found out that I've been,diagnosed with SCH.AND am very scared,i dnt knw what it is or what should i do.but i go back for another ultrasound on tue.This is my 1st time hearing of this.I just want to have a health bby.can anyone give me some info on this plez.
March 10th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nettie13 View Post
I am 8 weeks pregnant with twins and was diagnosed with SCH at 6 weeks. I am home on bedrest and have had 3 major bleeding episodes. Twins heartbeats are very good. i stil have light staining and feel crampy lately. does anyone else have cramping/pressue? thanks...
Hi! I am wondering how this turned out for you... I found out at 7 weeks with twins as well its was 3.9 cm then and at 11 weeks it was 3.6cm. I am now 12 weeks and I have been reading a lot about this and some give me hope and some make me so scared. My dr is acting like its nothing and didn't tell me to stop any activity or anything. I have bad cramping and been really sick(with my 1st one I didnt have any sickness)! Thanks! I would love to hear about your experience
March 16th, 2011, 08:17 AM
hi i found out yesterday that i am 5 weeks pregnant with a large haematoma 1/3 the size of my womb. they said they seen sac and yolk but no fetal pole or heartbeat so i have got to go back in 2 weeks for another scan. this is so scary i really dont know how i am going to manage for 2 weeks not knowing if my baby is ok. i have had no bleeding for a few days now and when i did its was only spotting.has anyone had a large haematoma and had a normal full term birth? any replies would be grateful thanks laura
March 18th, 2011, 06:56 AM
I am 5 1/2 weeks pregnant and I has a lot of bleeding last week so they scheduled me for an ultrasound - the good news was that I did not miscarry, but I did find out yesterday I have a fairly large clot next to my yolk sac (SCH) - and I am very scared. They are having me back to do a repeat scan next week to make sure the clot is not growing and to make sure there is a fetal heartbeat. We have been trying for months to get pregnant and this news is simply devastating. Has anyone had a diagnosis this early and carried to term normally, was the baby's development normal? Did you bleed out the clot later in pregnancy?
April 4th, 2011, 12:56 PM
Hi there i am new to this site and i was diagnosed with a large subchronic hematoma at 10 wks then when i reached 12 wks i had a massive bleeds which have been happening for 6 wks now and the doctors will not do anything about it and im nearly 18 wks pregnant
April 8th, 2011, 06:42 AM
I'm 36 years old and this is my first prgnancy. I am at approx. 5 and a half weeks gestation, though I know my conception date, so I'm really only about 3.5 weeks along. 2 nights ago I had some light brown/rust colored discharge. The next morning I wiped myself and had bright red blood. My first reaction was, of course, fear and tears. I called my husband at work and he left immediately to come home to me. Next I called the doctor's office and left a message though their answering service. While waiting for the call back I read though the bits about spotting in "What to Expect When You're Expecting." I still had no real idea what was happening of course. Got the call back from one of the doctors and went in yesterday for my first transvaginal ultrasound. There was no heartbeat, but it's too early yet for that anyway, but that sure would have been reassuring! I had my blood draw for the hCG and the first number looked good. I have my next draw tomorrow. I'm also off work for a week (at least) as I have a potentially quite physically demanding job - I'm a physical therapist in a hospital, so it depends on the day.

It's really great to read this board and see how many people had successful term babies, or have at least progressed well in their pregnancies. Thanks for the reassurance everyone and I'll let you know how things turn out.
April 18th, 2011, 02:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyday View Post
Hi there i am new to this site and i was diagnosed with a large subchronic hematoma at 10 wks then when i reached 12 wks i had a massive bleeds which have been happening for 6 wks now and the doctors will not do anything about it and im nearly 18 wks pregnant
Ask your Dr. if there could be any risk to the baby due to the bloodloss. Make he/she put it in writing if they say it won't. I had a subchorionic hemorrhage with heavy bloodloss and it took a few months to heal. My son was born with Septal Optic Dysplasia...small optic nerve and is legally blind. I never had this with any of my other pregnancies and I have 3 other healthy children. One of the symptoms of SOD is bloodloss during pregnancy. The Dr. told me that my son would be fine, but he wasn't. why are the Dr.'s afraid to explain the risks? They are afraid that they will be held responsible or negligent? Has anyone else out there had a baby born with an illness/disease after having a hemorrhage like this? please reply to me thank you
April 19th, 2011, 10:51 AM
Hi- I am 38yo and 6wks pg with my 4th baby. I started spotting brown 2 days ago and yesterday it turned to bright red bleeding. Went in for t/v ultrasound and saw a beautiful heart beat. They looked real well for a SCH and couldn't find one. Met with dr. after who assured me that as of right now the embryo and heart beat looked great with no signs of anything wrong... she did an internal and agreed I was bleeding moderately with small clots... said it was coming from inside my uterus. Said we needed to do the "wait and see" game. They had no answers on why I was bleeding. cramps have gotten better but today I am bleeding heavy. Called again and going in tomorrow for another u/s. Is it possible at all that they didn't see or missed a sch in the u/s. Why else whould I be bleeding like this??
April 22nd, 2011, 08:36 PM
Hello ladies! I'm Priscilla, 28, pregnant with baby 4 (8th pregnancy).

I went to the ER last night after I had some cramping and brown discharge on Wed and more cramping, along with pink discharge, on Thur (yesterday). I was finally told today (after a recheck with a walk in OB and 2nd u/s) that my baby is measuring 6wks along (I'm supposed to be 7wks 3days and I'm 100% accurate on ovulation/conception) and his HB is very slow (80-90). To top that off I have a subchronic hematoma. I've never had this issue before (that I've been aware of) but I'm terrified. They told me to prepare to lose the baby =0( I go back in in 7-10 days for a repeat u/s to check growth. I was wondering if anyone's had this issue and had all turn out fine. Thank you.
April 30th, 2011, 07:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devious1031 View Post
Hello ladies! I'm Priscilla, 28, pregnant with baby 4 (8th pregnancy).

I went to the ER last night after I had some cramping and brown discharge on Wed and more cramping, along with pink discharge, on Thur (yesterday). I was finally told today (after a recheck with a walk in OB and 2nd u/s) that my baby is measuring 6wks along (I'm supposed to be 7wks 3days and I'm 100% accurate on ovulation/conception) and his HB is very slow (80-90). To top that off I have a subchronic hematoma. I've never had this issue before (that I've been aware of) but I'm terrified. They told me to prepare to lose the baby =0( I go back in in 7-10 days for a repeat u/s to check growth. I was wondering if anyone's had this issue and had all turn out fine. Thank you.
Hi Priscilla I hope you are doing well. I know how it feels to wait after the detection of low heart rate. I waited 3 weeks before I missed carried last year. They detected the slow hr at week 5. I kept reminding myself that I would only miss carry if the development of the baby is not normal. I searched alot about it and came to conclusion that Some times the DNA can be so wrong that it can not even develop to be a baby. What I mean is trust in the nature and hope for the best out come. Unless you are not having repeated miscarriages it is the natures selection. Thinking like this some how makes me accept the situation easier. I am pregnant again, 10wks, and went to the ER last night with heavy bleeding. I live in the UK, where they don't treat you unless you are dying. They didn't do a scan, but told me cervix is closed and this is a good sign. Absolutely no explanation for heavy bleeding. I m in bed resting and hoping that it will stop. Or I might start having cramps and miscarry I just have to wait and see. As I m waiting I did some search and concluded that I too might have SCH. Apparently some doctors suggest taking aspirin as it will help clear the blood clot. I also found out that blood clots usually clears and pregnancy continues as normal. If there is any tearing it might heal, apparently after normal bleeding if you see dark dryish discharge it could be a sign of this healing. Don't loose your hope but be prepared also. There is worse then worse, that is the emotional breakdown and keep blaming ourselves after the miscarriage. And if your pregnancy will continue the baby will be feeling your stress so try to stay
positive and well
May 15th, 2011, 05:48 AM
Hi Pricilla,

My name is Erin, I'm 37, and totday we are officially 16 weeks pregnant after IVF. For IVF patients it's common to have spotting (30%). I have had dark brown spotting for all of about 2 weeks of my pregnancy. When my Dr. switched me to a prenatal with DHA within 13 days I began to bleed heavily, bright red blood, & I passed 4 very large clots within one week. Very scary! We stopped the DHA & I returned to Normal, which for me was the dark brown spotting. 12 days ago She started me back on the DHA again & bingo, I'm bleeding bright red again! Very frustrating. Now there are fish oil based or algae based DHA, I've always taken the algae based in the hopes to minimizing mercury content but there is something you should know: DHA does sometimes act as an anticoagulant, hence more bleeding. For me the frustration is this, for myself, someone who has had a history with SCH, why would a DR prescribe something that would make you bleed more? I'm no Dr but to me that just doesn't add up. I was able to schedule an OB visit for early this week, so I'm going to skip the DHA until then. I've also asked to be monitored more closely & I'vebeen having ultrasounds every 2 weeks to watch the progress, maybe that's something you can request of your Dr to gain some reassurance?. I've read that 90% of SCH's correct themselves by the 20th week, it seems like a long way away, & I won't be holding my breath. I also know of women who have bled throughout there entire preganancy and given birth to perfectly halthy babies. Get proactive in your care & ask your OB about these things, no one else is going to be the advocate for you and your baby! Good luck and I hope this helps you!
June 10th, 2011, 07:12 PM
I am new to this message board so I hope I post this correctly.

I am currently 43 years old and 9w2d pregnant. This past week+ has been a roller coaster and I wasn't sure what was happening until I did a Google search and found this thread. Many of the women's stories sound like my own. I thought I'd share.

Last week Tuesday I was 7w6d when I noticed some pink spotting. I didn't think too much of it since my husband and I had had sex the night before and I would spot just a little pink/red with my son's pregnancy (around this same time gestationally). Throughout the day the bleeding increased and by night it had changed to red blood but not a ton, mostly spotting (only a pantiliner necessary).

On Wednesday I had horrible cramps on and off most of the day. I figured I was miscarrying since a girlfriend of mine who had miscarried in the past told me her symptoms and mine were the same. Wednesday night it was difficult to sleep because of the cramps but I refused to take any pain reliever in case the baby held on. On Thursday, more bleeding all day and I switched to a light pad both Wednesday and Thursday.

I already had my first OB appointment scheduled for Friday so when I went in for it, I mentioned I'd been bleeding and asked for an ultrasound first. We'd had an ultrasound around 6.5weeks and saw the heartbeat so I knew all was well at one point. I was completely prepared to see no heartbeat but there it was -- very healthy!

The doctor/sonographer mentioned it might be a SCH but they weren't sure. So much of the first trimester is left to chance and I left with a "wait and see" approach. By the way, my doctor did not instruct me to do or not do anything. No pelvic rest, no bedrest as others have been instructed. I think it's a personal decision whether you decide to follow that advice -- according to my doctor, there is no data that suggests it helps but I know it feels good to "do something" (or in this case, NOT do something) to try to fix the situation.

I bled quite heavily on both Saturday and Sunday. On Saturday night I went through an overnight pad in about 1-2 hours. I was passing some fibrous, clot-like tissue (quarter to half dollar sized). On Monday I also bled pretty heavily. Around 6:00 that night I had what I am now referring to as "uterine armageddon". I had a couple intense cramps and had to sit down to breathe through them. I rushed to the bathroom and a VERY large (probably plum-sized) clot passed. I could feel it move through me. TONS of blood followed along with numerous smaller clots. I thought FOR SURE I'd miscarried. After that event, I passed other clots throughout the night (although only one plum-sized).

I called my OB in the morning to tell her about the events of the evening before. I asked to have an ultrasound because I'd rather know if the pregnancy was over. I went in COMPLETELY expecting them to tell me the baby was gone when there it was, heartbeat strong and had grown appropriately in the 4 days since my last ultrasound! I would never in a MILLION years think it was possible if it hadn't happened to me!

Tuesday I bled fairly heavy with more clots, Wednesday was a little less, Thursday even less. Today is Friday (11 days after the bleeding started) and the bleeding is back to spotting and appears to be turning a dark red/brownish. I went in for another ultrasound this afternoon and the baby is still fine -- heartbeat strong and growing appropriately! I believe my SCH has pretty much "bled out" at this point but time will tell.

I'm hoping this story helps others going through the same thing. I honestly DO NOT KNOW how my baby is fine through all this but he/she is -- at least for the moment. We've got a lot of weeks ahead of us but I'll update again if something significant happens.

Good luck to all!
June 14th, 2011, 07:54 AM
My name is Shay I am 21 years old I am 10 weeks pregnant right now and I also have a 2 year old. When I was 8 weeks pregnant I was having light pink bleeding it was so much that it covered the whole back of my pants knowing that bleeding is not a good sign in pregnancy I rushed to the hospital. At the hospital I was diagnosed with a threatened abortion I was scheduled to go and have a vaginal ultrasound done the next day. At my ultrasound I was diagnosed with having a large mass underneath my placenta. After my doctor reviewed the notes from the er and the ultrasound she diagnosed the large mass as a hematoma.This is the first time I have ever heard of that I am still in shock I just pray that my baby will be okay.At my ultrasound I was told my baby had a heart rate of 150 and that my baby was growing like it should so that reassures me. I have to go to a high risk clinic this Thursday for a special ultrasound and I am very scared I hope my baby is okay. But I have not bled anymore since that one time I went to the er and my doctor says my cervix is nice and firm.
June 14th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Hey there, I am 8 weeks pregnant today and I spent the whole day yesterday in the ER because I had been bleeding, cramping and passing small blood clots for the past 5 days. This was my 2nd trip to the ER but the time before I was told I was having implantation bleeding which I knew didn't make any sense being that I was over 7 weeks along at that point. Well after being positive that I was in the process of miscarrying I found out that I was having a Subchorionic hemorrhage. The really strange part is that I only bleed, cramp and clot from 10-5 then it just stops at night like clockwork. I put myself on bed rest after I saw the blood for the first time so I don't think it's anything I'm doing between those hours. Also, I just bleed when I go pee so I haven't needed a pad or even panty liner. It is the strangest thing. I wondering if anyone else has had such a weird experience with there SCH? Let me know! Aloha
July 4th, 2011, 08:28 PM
I'm the proud mother of 5 beautiful children. I am pregnant with my sixth and I am 17 weeks today...at 15 weeks I was rushed into the hospital with so much bleeding I was sure I was having a miscarriage. I was devistated seeing as though my husband and I had planned this pregnancy and our whole family had grown soooo attached already.
At the hospital they told me I had placenta previa and to stay on bed rest untill further notice and recheck in with Dr. every week. They assured me baby was fine heartrate was good and all is well. The bleeding stopped but the cramping did not and neither did the brown watery discharge ao last week I insisted on another ultrasound. They told me in fact it was not placenta previa but SCH. Just to keep coming in every week and another ultrasound in 2 weeks.
Im so scared Ive never even heard of tis before and never had any problems in my pregnancies. Each day I wake up saying ahhhh 1 mlore day. Each cramp or brown gush I wonder if something will go wrong will I miscarry...how much this would hurt my kids and my husband and myself. But Im trying to stay positive...Pray and hope for God to answer our prayers. Hang in there to all!!!!
July 6th, 2011, 10:57 AM
Hi everyone!
So glad I found this site! Ok, so I'm 12 weeks pregnant today, first pregnancy.
By my 8.5 week scan I was told I had some internal bleeding (now I know is referred to as sch) measuring 16mm (by 11mm). Was put on 200mg progesterone suppositories twice a day. Had plans to go away and had to cancel since dr said I shouldn't take risk of flying. Went back few days ago at 11.4 weeks expecting to see some improvement and the bleeding is still the same size (went up to 18mm (by 10mm) but dr said 2 mm is not considered going up). Please not I haven't been spotting or bleeding at all. So, now I'm on progesterone 3 times a day and going back in 3 weeks time for another ultrasound. So, what I want to know is this:
1) Is my sch considered big?
2) Do i have a high risk of miscarriage? (Haven't told any family members yet about pregnancy because I'm nervous about this)
3) Would anyone advise me to switch dr's or does it sound like he knows what he's doing?
Iv'e read alot of people go on Asprin, what is that for?
Thanks so much!
Any info is much appreciated! I'm really nervous to miscarry so far into the pregnancy.
July 14th, 2011, 06:38 AM
Hi ya'all, I'm 35 and a little over 10 weeks, I will have my first OB appointment tomorrow, I've been in the ER once a week for the last 3 weeks due to bleeding, clotting etc. remarkably I haven't had any real cramping to say, I am currently having brown (old) blood now but only when wiping and some small clots, my 2nd visit I passed a clot a little bigger than a golf ball and the PA in the ER actually thought I had MC but US showed a vibrate fetus with a healthy heartbeat WHEW, this will be my 3rd child and I had nothing like this with my others but...I am older now so dunno, I decided not to go to the ER last night since it was brown (old) blood and had no cramping, I was able to see another OB while the 1 I chose was on vacation, and he diagnosed me with subchorionic hematoma, light bed rest, pelvic rest, just hope all goes well, it's scarey!!!!
July 19th, 2011, 07:06 PM
I was 5weeks 5days pregnant when my Husband and I heard the Hearbeat and saw that our Baby is started to formed, and got theUltrasound Photo in our hand. But aside for the good news our Doctor told us that there is a big Blood clot or HEMATOMA around the Gestational Sac, the Blood clot need to come out somehow or maybe my body will absorbs it. My Doctor said it's dangerous also because there's a possible that the blood clot can also pull the Gestational Sac and the Baby itself, but let's cross our fingers crossed praying no negative happen. My Doctor give me the anti-bleeding and increased my USTROGESTAN insertion.

On my 6weeks I felt a little cramps not bad though and I started to spotting to a brown color blood I said good it was brown and only spotting but later on Im peeing this brownies blood became heavier until I need to use a big pad I feel like I'm having my periods and the cramps still going
with a little pain until time for bed and I still need to use the big pad.
I feel afraid already my husband is keep on making me calmed, until early in the morning like 2am I woke up to pee and my pad is full so need to
change again, the pee now is color bright red with a hunk of blood clot I
tried not to think negative went back to bed and maybe after an hour got up again to pee and then all of the sudden I feel something dropping a huge hunk of blood clot again with a britgh red blood.
When I woke up in the morning by 7am there's only a few amount in my pad and the blood stop I feel good, but u felt something wrong I contact my Doctor and I got check-up yesterday with my Husband the tears started to dropped when I heard NO HEARTBEAT and the Gestational Sac is invisible my Doctor keep on searching where's my Baby but nothing in my womb, excep a few blood clot.
I started to feel bad and wanting to shou bad, my Husband hug me right away and I hide my face through his arms crying blaming my self. But my Husband said you dint do anything wrong you been resting in the house the intire months since the day of the EggRETRIEVAL till yesterday.

We went to church to pray our baby and I'm still thankful to God and to my baby for the letting me feel being a Mommy for 6weeks though it is hard to accept but I have to refer my body back in shape to have my next baby again in 3months and praying that this time I'll carry full term to a healthy baby.
I know my baby right now is already became an Angel and it's in the Kingdom of God.
July 21st, 2011, 09:24 PM
Just thought I would share my story. Last year I was pregnant with my 3rd child (the previous two I had no problems with the pregnancies) but the third time around I had a subchorionic hemorrage at 12 weeks. I bled a whole lot, almost like a gush of water and I was sure I had lost the baby. I immediately went to my obgyn bleeding, they did an ultrasound and found the hemorrage. It was considered large measuring 4 cm. The chance of a miscarriage was around 30% or so I was told. A few days later I was told to come back and do another ultrasound to check on the baby and the hemorrage grew to 6 cm. All the while though the baby was doing good and had a strong healthy heart beat. I was told to rest (not necessarily bedrest but just to take it easy) and come back in 2 weeks for another ultrasound. When I came back I thought surely the hemorrage had minimized, however it grew to 10 cm and was considered extremely large. I was devastated and my doctor told me it would probably be best to send me to a specialist and prepare for a miscarriage. Throughout this devastating process the baby always had a strong heart beat. From then on i was monitored by a specialist and I bled heavily every day for about 2 months. I did monitor my bleeding and made note that it was mainly a lot of brown blood or old blood from the clotting. Only one other time did I have fresh red blood (or active bleeding) and needed to go in for another checkup. It was a stressful time not knowing if the baby would make it and when it would be born and when the bleeding would just stop. Witha lot of praying and help from family so that I could rest and decrease any strenuous activity, I was happy to finally make it past 24 weeks and then 30 weeks and then 32 weeks. I am proud to say that despite the hemorrage never shrinking past 8 cm, I delivered a very healthy girl at 36 weeks weighing 7 pounds! She was a fighter all along and despite what everyone thought, she pulled through just fine. I recommend a lot of rest, very little stress, a good support system and a lot of prayers with positive thinking and I'm sure your baby will be fine and healthy. best wishes to you!
July 25th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Hi. I'm 34 and 6 wks along. Just found out Thursday and was in er Saturday for bleeding. I'm feeling more optimistic after reading positive stories here... not all doom and gloom. My sch is small. My ob is starting me on progesteone. Pelvic rest but activity is ok. Nothing straining. Scary though.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search