Labor and Childbirth Myths

JustMommies Article Commentary

This forum contains links to threads containing comments from our Members about our articles. To read our articles, click on the topics in the pink top navigation bar above.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To JustMommies Article Commentary LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 24th, 2010, 09:36 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
Quote:
You’ve been waiting nine long months, and your big day is almost here. But what should be a joyful time of giving birth has become clouded by myths about labor and delivery. How do you know what to believe when you have so many people telling you different things? Here are some of the most common myths about labor and childbirth, and the reality behind them:
Read more
March 24th, 2010, 09:36 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
#6- how about comparing epidural to c-section stats to pain med free births to c-section, and see how they compare then? Epidurals don't automatically = c-section, but they can easily start you on the slippery slope of the "cascade of interventions".
I don't understand comparing epidural to analgesic.
March 25th, 2010, 10:44 PM
gratefulmama's Avatar Melissa, Mama to Lily
I thought this was a good article. I especially liked the part about no two L&D experiences being alike. I agree. Every experience is unique and the only thing that is the same is that you get a baby in the end. When I had my DD, I tried to go into the labor with that thought in mind. That the labor could go a variety of ways. I didn't want to have my mind set too much on one thing so that I didn't get disappointed. All I knew was that I was going to have a baby - no matter which way the labor went!
March 26th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Epidurals provide "analgesia" to patients through a local medication. This does not have to include a "narcotic" or an opioid. The local provides "pain relief", which IS analgesia. So I am not sure what was ment about epidurals not equating to "analgesia". However, it is correct that analgesia is just one component to anesthesia.
There are studies that show epidurals help with the progression of labor. In my experience, mothers are more relaxed and are less likely to be "failure to progress" that can lead to long labors and eventually c-sections.
I do believe that mothers should be empowered to make decisions that are right for them by knowing the facts. If a mother would rather have a "natural" child birth experience, that is wonderful. However, to paint an untrue story about epidurals hendering labor, sending a patient down a "slippery slope", or not being beneficial to mother and child, quite simply is not true.
Please, I encourage all mothers to talk to health care professionals that have master or doctorate degrees in this area. You my find the information informative.
It is a relief for this site to inform mothers of the latest research on how an epidural can help. I'm out there for the moms!!!! May everyone have a great child birth experience. I did.

Last edited by AnesthesiaFacts; March 26th, 2010 at 05:50 PM. Reason: spelling
November 25th, 2010, 09:31 AM
sarahmomma's Avatar Momma to 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaFacts View Post
Epidurals provide "analgesia" to patients through a local medication. This does not have to include a "narcotic" or an opioid. The local provides "pain relief", which IS analgesia. So I am not sure what was ment about epidurals not equating to "analgesia". However, it is correct that analgesia is just one component to anesthesia.
There are studies that show epidurals help with the progression of labor. In my experience, mothers are more relaxed and are less likely to be "failure to progress" that can lead to long labors and eventually c-sections.
I do believe that mothers should be empowered to make decisions that are right for them by knowing the facts. If a mother would rather have a "natural" child birth experience, that is wonderful. However, to paint an untrue story about epidurals hendering labor, sending a patient down a "slippery slope", or not being beneficial to mother and child, quite simply is not true.
Please, I encourage all mothers to talk to health care professionals that have master or doctorate degrees in this area. You my find the information informative.
It is a relief for this site to inform mothers of the latest research on how an epidural can help. I'm out there for the moms!!!! May everyone have a great child birth experience. I did.
Well put! I think it is time we as mothers start respecting each other's decisions and dropping the my way or the high way attitude.
December 28th, 2010, 01:01 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahmomma View Post
Well put! I think it is time we as mothers start respecting each other's decisions and dropping the my way or the high way attitude.
Agreed. Every single one of my friends who had epidurals had faster labors and delivered vaginally. I still consider this pretty "natural". I think once the panic of the pain is decreased, the mothers relax and are able to let their bodies do its job. This is just my opinion but so far its what I've observed. when i give birth I won't immediately reach for one, but i'm certainly not opposed.

Collage by erineldridge23, on Flickr

Tags
www.pregnancystress.net

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search