Natural Ways to Induce Labor

JustMommies Article Commentary

This forum contains links to threads containing comments from our Members about our articles. To read our articles, click on the topics in the pink top navigation bar above.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To JustMommies Article Commentary LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 2nd, 2011, 03:02 PM
Quote:
As you reach the end of your pregnancy, you may begin looking for natural ways to induce labor. Please keep in mind that you should not use any of these methods until you are past your due date. No method is guaranteed to work. Even drugs like pitocin do not always work at inducing labor. If your baby and body is not ready, labor will not begin.
Read more
May 2nd, 2011, 03:02 PM
I have to add my 2 cents! Prior to this baby, I had four babies with medical induction (the doctors said I had too much amniotic fluid to carry safely beyond my due date). This time around, with baby #5, I had seen a doctor at a different medical practice, and she wanted to "wait it out". Imagine, I didn't! I was determined to have this baby born by his due date! Here’s what I did (and it worked!). Sunday morning, I made a fruit smoothie with 2 lbs fresh diced pineapple, 2 lbs fresh diced mango, and about a dozen those huge Costco strawberries (actually, all three fruits came from Costco). I also added plain yogurt and honey for flavor. I drank that all day long, there was about half a gallon of this stuff. Two days later, I woke up to a bloody show. I called the hospital, and they told me to go in. After being watched for three hours and not dilating more than 1 cm, they sent me home. I was sooo frustrated! oh, I also lost my mucous plug while I was at the hospital. They told me it could still take days - up to two weeks! NO, I thought, this baby is coming today! So, I went and had a lunch with my hubby and a girlfriend - eggplant parmesan at a local Olive Garden. All the while the contractions were coming on every 10 minutes, and were about 2-3 on a 10-gradient pain scale - not enough to make me progress in laboring. Then, hubby and I came home and went for a nice, long (2 hours long, to be exact!) walk. When we came back, I took an hour-long shower. Then, we did the "naughty"... I made sure to get all the semen into me. By 6 pm, the contractions were coming on every 6 minutes and were becoming progressively more painful. I had hubby drop me off at the hospital, where a girlfriend had met me (I checked in and told the nurses I was NOT going home this time until the baby was born. They all joked about it, but little did they know I was right). Hubby went to pick up the kids and his mother (they were there since they got out of school that day), and bring them back to our house. We thought there was a plenty of time. When I got into my hospital room, I was dilated whooping 4 centimeters. The nurse started putting the IV in my arm, by then the pain was unbearable, I was screaming for meds! 45 minutes, 4 pokes in my arms (they kept hitting the valves); the 2 nurses got IV into me. They went to check if I could still have meds - nope, I was at 8.5 cm. 30 minutes later, my water broke, and the baby boy decided it was time. My girlfriend called my hubby, who just got into the hospital garage (thank GOD!), and he barely made it for the arrival of our baby boy! The baby was squeaky clean at birth, none of the gross-looking white stuff on him! So, pineapple and mango do induce labor, and eggplant parmesan, walking and sex help it along. LOL
May 20th, 2011, 06:52 AM
the raspberry tea worked for me with my second child but i made sure it was the real stuff contractions will start to come harder if u walk while drinking the tea.
November 3rd, 2011, 09:09 PM
Alaska-Su's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The eggplant parmesan I've read is not actually what induces labor. A lot of people are saying it's the eggplant. I've read it's actually the basil and oregano in the dish. Apparently staying away from large quantities of the two herbs and the essential oils for aromatherapy is something pregnant women need to do because they can induce labor.
March 5th, 2012, 12:55 PM
castor oil totally worked for me I was skeptical but I wanted to give birth so badly I bought a bottle on the 8th went into labor that night and gave birth on the 10th I thought it was false labor because the contractions stopped but when the doctor checked me I was nine centimeters he broke my water than the pain came but I was already fully dialated so it didnt last long it was the easiest delivery of my life
March 13th, 2012, 10:17 AM
On the maturity of pregnant women who are pregnant and to become more and more uncomfortable. Some herb, foods such as evening primrose oil, pineapple, caster oil,eating spicy foods can stimulate contractions. another methods long walking, light exercise, nipple stimulate, massage and bouncing on yoga ball can often induce labor. Yoga ball is a gentle way to induce labor.
March 13th, 2012, 10:19 AM
On the maturity of pregnant women who are pregnant and to become more and more uncomfortable. Some herb, foods such as evening primrose oil, pineapple, caster oil,eating spicy foods can stimulate contractions. another methods long walking, light exercise, nipple stimulate, massage and bouncing on yoga ball can often induce labor. Yoga ball is a gentle way to induce labor
March 31st, 2012, 03:49 PM
Regarding the suggestion of pineapple to induce labour, here are a few more pointers. Do not try this suggestion if you are allergic to pineapples. Duh, I guess that is a no-brainer. It is a scientific fact that pineapple contains the proteolytic enzyme bromelain which is thought to help to soften the cervix and so bring on labour. Pineapple contains only very small amounts of the chemical bromelain. It has been estimated that you would have to eat as many as seven pineapples to have any effect on the cervix. The most probable side-effect of eating large amounts of pineapple would be a severe case of diarrhoea. In which case you would be better off trying the castor oil option discussed elsewhere in this article.
Some cultures swear by this option of inducing labour but there is insufficient research data to confirm whether eating pineapple really works. There is no solid evidence establishing whether it is a safe option or not. If trying this option bear in mind that the pineapple must be fresh as the enzyme bromelain is destroyed by the manufacturing processes of canning and juicing. Another option is to buy bromelain tablets from your health food shop. As bromelain is a proteolytic enzyme that breaks down protein, it should not be eaten with protein as it will merrily digest that and be consumed in your stomach rather than doing its desired work at the cervix. It should be taken on an empty stomach and the tablets should never be chewed as the digestive enzyme will badly burn your tongue. Bromelain is often used to reduce inflammation associated with tendinitis, sprains and strains, and other minor muscle injuries. In Europe, bromelain is used to treat sinus and nasal swelling following ear, nose, and throat surgery or trauma. To treat arthritis, up to 2,000 mg of bromelain is taken each day in two divided doses. So you could safely take 1,000 mg (1 gram) twice a day in an effort to induce labour. More info is available at “14 Natural Induction Methods To Bring on Labour” at http://thenaturalmedicalhealthwell.com/opt-in-page/labour-induction-procedure/
April 2nd, 2012, 08:57 AM
Castor oil WORKED for me! I took it when I was almost 39 weeks pregnant. It took about 2 TBS on Thursday evening. Around 2 a.m., I woke up having to urinate & when I wiped, I noticed that I had bloody show & had lost my mucus plug. Then the contractions started. I went to the hospital, as they were about 5 min apart for an hour. I was only 1 1/2 cm dialated, so they sent me home. Said to walk & soak in a bath. I did & NOTHING! But late Friday night, the contractions were coming again, 5 min apart...went to the hospital, was 2 cm, so they sent me home. This time, I refused, so I walked around the hospital & the contractions kept coming. After another hour, I went back...they checked & I was 4 cm. My son was born at 2:23 p.m. on Saturday! I tried this with my 2nd son & it didn't work, BUT my doctor said nothing would've worked because he was so high up, I would've had to been induced no matter what. Having to be induced...well, I'd rather not because the contractions are 1000 times worse than not being induced!
April 2nd, 2012, 08:23 PM
I did most of these like a few days before i was due in June 2010 and nothing worked for me and my doctor told me that i could doing anything if i found anything to help with me going into labor and to help m dilate because if i didn't go into labor before my due date or dilate any that they would have to induce labor to get me started. Well nothing on this here helped me a all. So i had to be induced which kinda sucked and well i didn't even get dilated to a ten i ended up having to have a c-section. Yes this was my first child and that kinda sucked having to have a c-section.
April 2nd, 2012, 08:46 PM
I tried most of all this when i was pregnant but non of them worked for me it kinda sucked because if i didn't go into labor before my due date they were going to induce labor on me and so that's when i started to look into finding something to help me with my labor and nothing worked so i had to be induced which sucked because i wanted to do everything natural and i didn't get to. this is my first and so i wanted to do everything natural and didn't get to do any of it natural but i did go as long as i could before i had to get an epidural which sucked. But any way i ended up having to have a c-section with my first child. i hope that my next baby i can have natural
April 19th, 2012, 11:56 AM
Im 38 weeks and my doctor is talking about inducing me next week. .bt she says that by using medicine its a 75% chance ima have a csection n i dnt wan that... I'm 75% effaced n only two cm .. dilated.. what can i do.. walking n sex has not helped..
October 19th, 2013, 01:50 PM
I also recommend the <strong><a href="http://goo.gl/OKjez">PREGNANCY MIRACLE GUIDE</a></strong> for information on natural ways to induce labor!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search