Where Did you do most of your laboring?

Forum: Labor and Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Labor and Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 18th, 2010, 03:26 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Toilet?
Side lying in the bed?
On your back in the bed?
In a tub?
In the shower?
On a birthing ball?
Hands and knees?
Rocking chair?
Walking?
Doing hip rocks?
Dancing with your SO?
Other?

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
March 18th, 2010, 04:30 PM
Platinum Supermommy
The majority of my laboring was sitting on the toliet, walking/dancing around, or standing but leaning over the bed rocking my hips side to side or leaning on DH rocking side to side...
March 18th, 2010, 06:23 PM
~Allison~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I did most of it laying on my sides in bed. I also did alittle bit sitting in a rocking chair.

March 18th, 2010, 10:44 PM
I spent probably 80% of my time on the toilet - it helped my back labor sooo much. I laid on my left side in bed a lot with O2 strapped on (heart decels for babe). I did a lottt of hands and knees, but it hurt so bad with my IV in, I rocked in a rocking chair a little bit which felt good, but it was wood and that hurt my back labor even worse. I tried the birth ball, cussed it out and kicked it under the bed. I finally did hip rocks after being at 6cm for 9 hours and she was born 30 minutes later. next time, I'm going straight to the hip rocking

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
March 19th, 2010, 03:42 AM
aussie_mama22's Avatar Brooke
Send a message via AIM to aussie_mama22
I spent most of my time either in the tub or on the birthing ball. The birthing ball was incredible for my back labor!

Thankyou *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

March 19th, 2010, 06:47 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Tried the toilet, hated it. Tried hands and knees, hated it. Tried the birth ball, hated it. Tried draping myself over the birth ball, hated it.

Before going to the hospital, I laid on my side in bed because I was trying to get some sleep while it was still early labor. At the hospital, I sat in the bed cross legged most of the time.
March 19th, 2010, 07:34 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I kept switching from my back to my left side in the bed. I had no desire to get out of that bed!

Many Many Thanks to GraysMama (Chelsea) for my AMAZING Siggy!!!

March 19th, 2010, 09:03 AM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
It would probably be more expedient to say what I didn't do: I didn't spend any time in the bed at all until I was confined their by an epidural. I was all ready after my NCB class to walk around and dance with DH, but standing upright during contrx was freaking impossible and my back ached even between them from the hard back labor so I gave up on that after the first few hours. I rotated a lot between the toilet, birthing ball, rocking chair, and an armchair with my DH doing a knee press. I did two soaks in the tub, but that was not as pleasant as I had hoped. In order to get the water hot enough to bring any relief, I was sweating and feeling ill within 15 minutes. Next time I'll make sure to have a fan to keep my upper body cool so I don't feel like I'm going to puke right as the heat starts to have some benefit for my back My favorite position was seated on the ground (I have no idea why bc they kept trying to get me on the bed, but I wanted to be LOW) with the bottoms of my feet together and my knees to the floor and then I leaned forward a little and rocked side to side during the contrx. I also liked to kneel on a pillow and do a child's pose (like hands and knees only your chest and arms are on the ground instead of up in the air) during contrx. But both of those positions kept knocking the stupid EFM belt off the baby and nurses would come running in and tell me to get up so they could check her. I got so frustrated with the constant interruptions and couldn't get back in my zone that I abandoned them. I wish in retrospect I had told them to get their butts the heck out of my room (only in much stronger language) and they could check her HB when I was good and ready for them to! Also next time I want some sort of padded floor mat because I seriously would have spent my entire labor on the floor except that the hardwood floors eventually made my butt and knees sore and I would have to get up and sit somewhere soft for a while.

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
March 19th, 2010, 10:38 AM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I wanted to move around desperately, but the nasty nurses were giving my MW a hard time. since I was a VBAC the "required" I have continuous monitoring.

So I had to wear those stupid external monitors that loose the HB every time you breath too deep.

For the first hour I was in the bed, begging to get out, then I sat up on the bed with my feet over the side and mike held the monitor in place.

then when my MW came and stayed with up I spent a lot of time on the toilet - till the nasty nurses would run and demand they put me on the monitor again.

eventually they put in the scalp thing, and I sat in a rocking chair for the remainder of my labor.

This is a lot of the reason I am considering an HBAC next time, but I don't know if we will be able to afford it.

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**
Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 3/1/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

March 19th, 2010, 12:36 PM
I had one nurse who kept getting pissed at me for sitting on the toilet because it required we unhook the EFM and I know she stalled out my labor, so Sam stood in front of the door so no one could come in because the only relief I could really get was on the toilet or leaning on the bathroom sink! I hate b!+chy nurses. I was counting down the minutes until my night nurse came back on! I'm sorry, Danielle and Ami, that you had such nasty nurses!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
March 21st, 2010, 08:06 PM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
Laying in a bed, well actually I wasn't laying. Laying was uncomfortable... I moved the back of the hospital bed up so far that I was pretty much sitting most of the time. Before I got the epi, I got up a couple of times to use the bathroom. They didn't seem to mind me unhooking myself from the monitors, no one ever said anything. I didn't really feel the need to be up and moving around...I was having fun updating everyone on Facebook and JM on my laptop.. lol. When it got bad, I got the epi and then I pretty much had to stay in bed and laid on my side more because totally flat back wasn't comfy at all.

March 22nd, 2010, 06:35 AM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
With ds1 I tried rocking around and moving. I wanted to be in the bath but my stupid hospital room only had a shower, so I kneeled in there quite a bit in the first few hours but it didn't help much. I tried the toilet a little bit too. They made me lay in bed far too much though and I gave in to the epidural. I spent the next 4 hours getting rolled from right to left when ds would have decels into the 70's every 15 minutes or so. Pushed flat on my back...I'd like to see a doctor poop flat on their back and see how easy that is.
With dd (unassisted hb) I walked around the living room for a while, laid on the bathroom floor for a while, laid in the tub for a while, tried the toilet-hated it, kneeled over the back of the couch, tub again, and finally ended up on all 4's in the living room which was the most comfortable. Gave birth on all 4's.
With ds2 (unassisted hb) labor was 4 days looooong. First 3 days I mostly went about business as usual-contractions were on average every 11 minutes. I took ds1 to preschool, dd and I went and walked the mall/store, I'd occasionally have a contraction that took my breath away but I tried to look normal so shoppers/workers wouldn't freak out and call 911 or something. Dh talked me into taking a half dose of Benedryl at night so I could sleep for a few hours, and it totally helped-it doesn't take much Benedryl to knock me out. The 4th day I spent a lot of time leaning into the counter and swaying my hips. Ds2 was posterior...fun stuff! I tried hands and knees on the floor and that worked for a while. The last few hours of labor I required dh to push my hips together with all his strength. That was the only thing that helped with the pain. I did sit on the toilet occasionally and it didn't suck like it did with dd. I gave birth squatting, I tried to get on all 4's but it felt wrong, so I squatted.
I just have to say going from the oppression of evil nurses at the hospital to home births was amazing! I can't imagine having someone boss me around in labor ever again.

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
March 28th, 2010, 08:16 AM
wonderfullymade's Avatar Doula & MW Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to wonderfullymade
MOST? umm... yes, yes yes... everything except lying on my back. Although I DID spend a GOOD WHILE in the shower/tub.

Bellies & Babies Blogger
March 28th, 2010, 08:30 AM
Mega Super Mommy
i birthed at home so everything happened at home. i spent quite alot of the morning on the toilet from feeling constipated and also quite a bit of time on the couch with the hot water bottle and heat pack as i was in pain oh so much.

i delivered the placenta at the hospital which hurt alot more than the actual birth of my son as i had to get stitches which also hurt more than delivering my son
March 29th, 2010, 10:16 AM
Regular
Funny story My Aunt June was in the hospital and she did about 60% in bed. She started getting frustrated so they put her in the tub and relaxed her a good deal. She still felt some what upset because this was her third child and he was very stubborn LOL. So she was bouncing on the birth ball and she stood up and kicked it then said "Uh Oh" and as soon as she laid down the nurse was able to get one glove on and out popped Brady
March 29th, 2010, 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylinn89 View Post
Funny story My Aunt June was in the hospital and she did about 60% in bed. She started getting frustrated so they put her in the tub and relaxed her a good deal. She still felt some what upset because this was her third child and he was very stubborn LOL. So she was bouncing on the birth ball and she stood up and kicked it then said "Uh Oh" and as soon as she laid down the nurse was able to get one glove on and out popped Brady
I love birth stories like that. I have a friend who was having irregular contractions with her first baby (they would be anywhere from 2 to 20 minutes apart and NEVER established a pattern). Her DH kept calling the OB and being told she wasn't in active labor bc they weren't in any pattern at all. So after 8 hours post ROM, the OB said she needed to come in for pitocin. So they get there are she gets in a fight with the nurse who wants her to sit down on a bed to be monitored and have vitals checked as part of the admissions procedure. And Jeannie keeps saying "I can't. My butt hurts too bad when I sit!" So finally the nurse says well let me examine you. Maybe you're having hemorrhoids. So she lays down on the table and the baby's head was half-way down the birth canal. The nurse goes running to call the OB and Baby Lily slid out into her Daddy's hands while they were still trying to find their butt with both hands and a flashlight. Her other 2 babies were also born with only Dad in attendance, but in a hospital. They just show up, labor on their own, and push on their own. They only page the nurse when it's all over and then - as Jeannie puts it - brace for the lecture

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
March 29th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My husband doesn't want to catch the baby with the doctor in the room. I don't think there would be any way to convince him to give birth in a hospital without doctors and nurses in the room!
March 29th, 2010, 02:43 PM
sam wanted to catch brylie..i told him to buzz off, im catching her...but my midwife ended up catching her because of all the issues. im catching my own baby from now on damit

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
March 29th, 2010, 04:15 PM
I wanted my DH to catch Claire. But he wouldn't even cut the cord

March 29th, 2010, 04:47 PM
really? That stinks Sam is all about that kind of business. He even cut Brylie's cord when she was in such distress.

He really should be a male midwife. (Only he should hire someone else to do cervical checks, because holy OW..he has huge fingers and hands)....but he has actually said if he ever had to quit farming and do something, he would be a midwife. He is as crazy about birth as I am

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search