Room In?

Forum: Labor and Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Labor and Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 20th, 2010, 09:53 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Did your baby room in with you for the entire hospital stay, or did babe go to the Nursery so you could get some rest? Or did babe leave for any other reasons?

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
March 21st, 2010, 02:42 AM
aussie_mama22's Avatar Brooke
Send a message via AIM to aussie_mama22
In hospitals here we dont have a nursery (only the special care nursery) so babies are exclusively roomed in. Unless you have a difficult baby and need just a little sleep like I did with DD. The nurses took her to the nurses station for an hour so I could get a break.

Thankyou *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

March 21st, 2010, 05:35 AM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
We have the option of rooming in or using the nursery. The baby is required to go for a morning andevening exam if you are rooming in. I wAs planning on rooming in but my really wonderful pp nurse recommended I let claire go to the nursery bc my post op pain meds combined with sleeping pills meant I wouldn't wake up if she cried until she was screaming her little head off. So Heather (my night nurse) took her to the nursery and brought her to me every three hours to nurse. It worked out really well and I was so exhausted after my horrible induction ordeal and surgery that I was grateful for the rest. Next time if I'm in a hospital I will keep that as an available option just depending on how tired I am.

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
March 21st, 2010, 08:44 AM
~Allison~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My hospital gives you the option of rooming in, or sending the baby to the nursery when you want a break.

We kept Aaden with us all during the day (with the exception of about 15 minutes the day after he was born when he had to go down for the hearing test, blood test, etc.). We sent him back to the nursery around 10:30 p.m., then he was brought to us first thing (usually 7:00) the next morning.

March 21st, 2010, 09:08 AM
Our hospital has a nursery available, but we didn't send Brylie. She had to go for her hearing test (They usually do it in the rooms with a portable cart, but since she was born on a weekend the nurse that does the cart thing wasn't on or something) so Sam went with her to her hearing test. She also had to do a carseat trending because she was having some breathing issues which required she go to the nursery and be hooked up to an pulse ox, but Sam went her for that also. I took a nap during both of those times. The night she was born, about 4am, my nurse took her for a walk for about an hour because I was falling asleep trying to nurse her. My nurse had to bring her back though because the woman next door was delivering a still born and Dana didn't want the new baby cries to upset her even more than she already was

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
March 21st, 2010, 09:27 AM
Oh how sad I remember when I was growing up and would visit my mom on the maternity ward when she was working for days at a time. Walking past a room with a yellow card on the doorknob always made me so sad. At her hospital they mark the doors so that well-meaning nurses and orderlies won't walk in and say "Congratulations Mom" or ask any questions about the baby or anything when they go to take their vitals. The worst ones though were the blue cards. I only ever saw two in 20 odd years of visiting there. That meant the mom had passed away and Dad was staying in the room with the baby. The first time I didn't know any better. But the second time I was afraid to walk down the hall to get to the doctor's lounge bc I was scared I would hear the man crying through the door again. I was in college by then and was old enough to understand there are risks with any medical procedure, but the L&D floor is supposed to be a place of happiness dang it. It's just so cosmically unfair the some people have such sad experiences there.

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
March 21st, 2010, 09:42 AM
oh i cant imagine they mark the doors with lavendar and baby blue at ours. i only know because when we took our tour there was one of each on a door and sam asked. the nurse said that dad had been sitting in there almost 48 hours at that point

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
March 21st, 2010, 10:10 AM
Mega Super Mommy
There is no nursery at our hospital. Both boys left the room the morning after they were born for the circumcision, but their pediatrician came and got them personally. Nicky was taken right to the NICU after the doctor came to get him because as I'd been telling the night nurse he was making a funny noise when he breathed sometimes.. she basically told me I was hearing things. So when his pediatrician came to get him, I told her about it and she said she'd check it out before the circumcision.. She came back and told me that while she was checking him, he made the stridor noise quite a bit and then when he got fussy, his temp dropped dangerously low so she had him admitted to the NICU. Aly never left the room. They do all the testing right there with Mom.

Many Many Thanks to GraysMama (Chelsea) for my AMAZING Siggy!!!

March 21st, 2010, 11:34 AM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
I sent Kelly off to the nursery and told them to bring him back in 2 hours so I could feed him. I really just need a little nap, and he was mostly sleeping too. I had him at 2am and hadn't slept in forever because the night before I was having contractions all night. Well they took him and didn't bring him back for much longer. AND...they fed him formula and gave him a pacifier without my permission. I kept asking for them to bring him back, and the nurse wouldn't. Then they changed shifts, and I was crying and this nurse was nice and got him immediately for me. This time, I don't care how tired I will be, the baby will be in the room with me at all times.

March 21st, 2010, 04:01 PM
gctattoo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Unfortunately, it was room-in only in my hospital. I would've liked for them to keep DD in the nursery instead as I was so exhausted. The only time she left was for her nightly weigh-in. And one really nice nurse took her for the hearing test one morning and kept her in the nursery for a few hours so I could get a break.
March 22nd, 2010, 05:51 AM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMc View Post
I sent Kelly off to the nursery and told them to bring him back in 2 hours so I could feed him. I really just need a little nap, and he was mostly sleeping too. I had him at 2am and hadn't slept in forever because the night before I was having contractions all night. Well they took him and didn't bring him back for much longer. AND...they fed him formula and gave him a pacifier without my permission. I kept asking for them to bring him back, and the nurse wouldn't. Then they changed shifts, and I was crying and this nurse was nice and got him immediately for me. This time, I don't care how tired I will be, the baby will be in the room with me at all times.
This type of thing was my fear so ds1 never left our sight. One of us was always with him. One of the nights we were there dh sat up holding ds for a few hours so I could sleep. The other 2 were uc so no issues.

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
March 22nd, 2010, 06:32 AM
@Julie, I would have gone nuts. At our hospital rooming in is assumed so we never were even asked if we wanted to send her, but I would have gone APE $H!+ if that happened to me!! I'm so sorry that happened

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
March 22nd, 2010, 08:50 AM
Cheet_oh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I never had my other kids leave the room at all, with Ava, she was just awake constantly and neither DH nor I had gotten any sleep really for over 24 hours. The cot in that room was half the size of DH so I asked the nurse if they could have her in the nursery for a little bit. She said yes (she was really sweet) and about three hours later, she came in and asked if I had slept well enough and if I was ready to feed the baby. I was so thankful for those three hours! However, I felt/feel horrible still that I had to send her to the nursery

(Angela - 37) (Doug - 32)

(Steven - 20) (Sebastian - 18) (Mina - 13) (Ava - 4) (Aria - 1)

March 22nd, 2010, 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicaChels View Post
@Julie, I would have gone nuts. At our hospital rooming in is assumed so we never were even asked if we wanted to send her, but I would have gone APE $H!+ if that happened to me!! I'm so sorry that happened

I had one AWFUL night nurse for one night and then filed a complaint so they made sure I never had her again. She took Claire for her evening exam but was supposed to bring her back as that was at 8pm and I wasn't sending her to the nursery for the night until midnight. She just never came back. An hour later after I had paged her 3 times, I finally called the nursery directly and someone said they were told she was staying for the night so she was asleep in her bassinet the entire time. I was SO PISSED, but they brought her back to me until DH left to go home for the evening. That was the same nurse who decided not to administer my pain meds unless I asked for them - only she didn't tell me I needed to. So the next morning when the day nurse came on I was trembling and in danger of going into shock. She was FURIOUS and brought me the complaint form herself. But anyway back to the point, if they had given her formula while she was in there when I was struggling so hard to BF as it was, I would have beat someone to death with my dinner tray

March 22nd, 2010, 12:42 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Noelle roomed in entire time...

She did leave to go for a newborn checkup and her 24hr checkup... No DH or I didn't go with them but I knew one of the nurses that took her so I was fine with her leaving us for a couple mins... she was gone for no more then 30mins...
March 28th, 2010, 06:30 AM
wonderfullymade's Avatar Doula & MW Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to wonderfullymade
COMPLETE rooming in. We opt out of the Hep B, Erythromycin, and Vit K... for that reason, since we don't know what the other babies (in the nursery) mamas had, because we Exclusively nursed, and family bedded, we did complete rooming in... The only 5 minutes my children were away from me was when they did the hearing test.

Bellies & Babies Blogger
March 28th, 2010, 07:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
we were in hospital for 4 days as i didnt know any better and didnt realise i didnt even have to be there but he stayed with me for 2 nights and the last night in the nursery. we didnt have to stay for the 4 days but i couldnt get picked up til the 4th day and the hospital said it was fine for me to stay. i am glad i stayed that extra night as i was able to get a decent sort of sleep which prepared me for the sleepless nights that layed ahead of me at home with monkey.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search