The May 2010 field trip BUS!

Forum: Labor and Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Labor and Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 21st, 2010, 09:56 AM
Danielle.W's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm just making a thread for us to ask all our questions!! Have at it ladies

Mama to Valley, Lyric
Levi 9/2009 & Mara 9/2013

My Ovulation Chart

Cycle 12 (of 16) after 2nd tri miscarriage: Soy Iso take 5

March 21st, 2010, 10:01 AM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Great to see you here!!!! Jump right in!!!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
March 21st, 2010, 04:15 PM
Super Mommy
I have a question! How effective are all the "Heeeee Heeeee Hooooo" and "cleansing breaths" at helping manage the pain? Does it work? I'm afraid my DF is going to be freaked out and he will forget to help me remember to do them. Oh and does the birthing ball really help? I feel like in the moment everything we learned in our birthing class will be forgotten and I will have no coping mechanisms! Are you more calm the first time than you think you will be? Sorry, that ended up being multiple questions! Can you tell I'm really nervous?!
March 21st, 2010, 09:10 PM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
It's different for every woman and some women it's even different from one birth to another. I loved the birthing ball. My most comfortable maneuver was to sit on the ball and rock side to side during contractions. When my back labor got bad I sat close to the edge of the bed and my DH was able to provide counterpressure for my back as I leaned on the bed. Vocalizing thru contrx is extremely helpful but you don't want it to be forced. So it really doesn't need to be hee hee hoo if that's awkward for you (and it was for me). I used my Pilates breathing. In deeply thru the nose and out in a shooshing noise. It is important for your DH to remind you not to breathe in thru yourmouth if you can help it. Mouth inhalation actually triggers your body's panic reflex. And above all the most important thing in labor is to stay calm. I had no problem staying calm -even in a first labor - until my induction took a bad turn. As long as you're just talking about normal labor you should be able to settle into a natural calm. Keep things quiet, lights soothing, whatever you need to relax. I really found music to be helpful. I didn't want to talk to anyone or think o anything except getting thru the next contrx. Don't be nervous. You're going to do great!! The more you know the less intimidating it is. Ask us anything you want to know and we will do our best to ensure you are informed and collected when the time comes. Congrats

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
March 21st, 2010, 11:40 PM
how does the second birth and recovery differ? (mostly asking for natural vaginal births) Does your belly take longer to go in? is it true the second baby comes out faster/easier? do you recover quicker the second time? or is it torture because you know whats coming at the end? (the burning ) Do you generally have your second baby around the same gestational age as your first? or does it vary?

Mama to Valley, Lyric

My Ovulation Chart

March 22nd, 2010, 02:21 AM
Hopefully some of our moms of 2 or more can speak to their personal experiences. I can tell you that statistically speaking second babies are born faster and with less perineal trauma (ie less burning). The pushing phase tends to be more controlled in a woman who has BTDT. The rate of your belly reduction has more to do with age and skin elasticity than with number of pregnancies. So if you breastfeed and are not significantly olderr than last time it should be comparable to the first except in csection Mommas who have more trouble with retraction the more scarring they get.

As for gestational age at delivery it can vary but most women will not see a drastic difference. Your body goes into labor when baby is done baking and the oven takes roughly the same amount of time. Now this doesn't mean exactly buy usually within about a week or so. There are two exceptions however. Women who have premature babies tend to begin dilating earlier each time. And a baby can hang on much later than expected due to positioning. So if a mother usually sees labor begin around 37 weeks and presents with a posterior or breech baby she may not go into labor until around 41 weeks (just say) bc the babys head is not putting pressure on the cervix to signal the onset of labor.

Recovery in second time mothers is often faster and easier than first time mothers except in cases of complications during birth (which make a recovery harder no matter which number it is) and women with previous episitomies (who are more likely to have a second degree or higher tear along the scar line).

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/

Last edited by WhoaMomma!; March 22nd, 2010 at 02:31 AM.
March 22nd, 2010, 05:33 AM
Welcome!! I can't help on the 2nd birth question (I hope it's true though, though my pushing stage can't be much shorter )

But for your other two questions:
For me, the breathing that was most effective was in through my nose, out through my mouth very long, slow, calm, deep breaths. (Taught in Bradley classes). I never had the need or desire to vocalize. I was emergently induced and did 19 hours of Pitocin pain medication free with the deep breathing though It almost totally eliminated the pain (except back labor, that's where DH came in).

As for the birth ball, that was the DEVIL to me. I sat on it, it lasted about 5 seconds before I stood up, shouted some swear words at the poor nurse who suggested it and then swiftly kicked it across my room and lodged it under the bed ...I tried leaning against it and using it to rock too but that didn't help either.

A lot of people love it though, my back labor just couldn't handle it. The toilet was my savior

I also have to add, I keep having this horrible dream that I am having this awesome interventionless, beautiful natural birth and then I go to push and I FREAK OUT because I'm afraid of the ring of fire! Even though it wasn't that bad the first time and lasted like 2 seconds...and I didn't even really realize what it was! I thought my midwife was putting pressure on my perineum and somehow her fist wound up in my butt ... so I have no idea why I'm so afraid of it again!!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
March 22nd, 2010, 06:39 AM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
For me, it wasn't about cleansing breaths and lamaze stuff. Tried that with ds1 and failed. The abolute BEST advice I can give, do NOT lay down-unless it's what your body is telling you to do, move around, be active during contractions. Swaying, dancing, etc. With ds2, he was posterior and it helped soooo much to hip sway and have dh put as much pressure on them, like he was squeezing them. Give birth in any position but laying flat on your back, that closes your pelvis off quite a bit. Not many doctors are keen on that idea though.

As far as gestaion, ds1 was 37w6d-my water broke the day before he was born spontaneously. Dd was 39w3d. Ds2 was 35w6d. I had a feeling early in the pregnancy that he'd be positioned difficultly, so I prayed that he'd be born early enough to fit well, and God answered my prayers. The little monkey was posterior with a nuchal hand! He was 6lb5oz, so pretty small, but a good size for his gestation.
My bff had her dd1 just past 40w, her dd2 just past 40w, and her ds just before 40w. We're thinking that we both need to bake our girls longer since they were all smaller than their brothers.
My labors were quite different too. Ds1 was induced since I didn't know to refuse-they insisted since my water broke without contractions. Dd was only 4 hours, though I was dilated to 5cm pre-labor. Ds2 was 4 days and I was dilated to 4cm pre-labor. It was his positioning that held him up though I'm sure. I was fine with the long labor though because every contraction releases hormones in the baby's body to prepare them for life outside the womb, and the more contractions I had the more confidence I had in his coming so early and being able to breath.

I just want to add something that I learned the hard way. My body naturally stalls out around 6cm. In the hospital they did NOT like that and threatened me with pitocin. At home I just dealt with it. With dd, I spent the first 2 hours of my 4h20m labor/pushing getting to 6cm. I went quickly after that. With ds2 I spent the first 3 days and most of the 4th getting to 6cm. Labor/pushing was only another 2ish hours after that.

If anyone wants to read a great book, Active Birth by Janet Balaskas is awesome. It's from like 1992 or something, but awesome.

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
March 22nd, 2010, 06:53 AM
I stalled at 6cm for 9 hours too...I wonder if that will happen next time. I chalked mine up to stress caused by a nurse, since it was a little too late and a little too long to be the natural alignment plateau..which happened I believe at 4cm anyway. I went from 6-10 in 5 minutes after being stalled for so long though

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
March 22nd, 2010, 07:10 AM
7 cm is the most common onset of transition, so the cervix frequently stalls at 6 to prepare for transition. If your baby or body are not ready to push, it won't let you go past that. Some preliminary studies are showing that augmenting with pitocin at 6cm may increase the likelihood of a protracted pushing phase. There is also some controversial evidence indicating that it has negative effects on the baby. When synthetic oxytocin is introduced into the blood stream, it floods the receptors and your body stops producing its own oxytocin. We know for a fact this increases pain for the mother and can inhibit bonding with the newborn. Some people also are starting to think that synthetic oxytocin does not have the benefits for fetal respiration that natural does. So augmenting with pitocin and rushing the baby through this "stalled" period MIGHT contribute to an increase in respiratory problems or trouble breathing. But most practitioners are not concerned with that because administering oxygen to the baby is easy and not invasive and it rarely results in any serious damage. But it does raise the question if even such a small risk is worth it when time will resolve the problem in MOST women.

Personally I would advise women to accept the pitocin augmentation to get past 6cm ONLY if they are physically exhausted and concerned that being stalled too long will result in a c/s or instrument delivery. And only the mother can decide that. Not her OB, not her partner, and certainly not me.

March 22nd, 2010, 07:36 AM
yeah I was maxed out on pit and stalled I think pitocin SUCKS and would advise people to avoid it at ALL COSTS. If your water breaks, stay home and get out a breast pump!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
March 22nd, 2010, 07:44 AM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
They kept threatening me with pit with ds1 and I told them over my dead body. I didn't know a lot about birthing then, but I knew pit was evil and I wanted nothing to do with it in our bodies.

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
March 22nd, 2010, 08:06 AM
~Allison~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristad View Post
Are you more calm the first time than you think you will be?!
I'll answer this!

I was WAAAY more calm than I thought I would be. My DH was more nervous than I was! Of course, a few months/weeks before delivery, I was nervous about everything, but when the day of my scheduled induction came, I was super calm. I kept telling myself that it was something I HAD to do, that he couldn't stay inside me forever. I also told myself it wasn't going to be as bad as everyone told me it would be, and for me, it wasn't. It was the most amazing experience of my entire life.

Good luck!

March 22nd, 2010, 08:15 AM
Very well said, Allison!! I like the "He can't stay inside me forever" approach to things

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
March 22nd, 2010, 08:26 AM
silverlife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
With my son (my first), my water broke at 39 weeks and labor didn't start quickly, so I was induced. I was 1cm when they started the pitocin. I had an epidural and pitocin with him. I stalled at 9cm for 5 hours and pushed 2.5 hours.

With my daughter (my second), I went into labor on my own at 40w1d. I was 1cm at my appointment that morning. I got to the hospital around 6-7cm, and she was born 3 hours later. I pushed for 7 minutes.

I thought recovery with my daughter was way easier. I don't know if it was because I didn't push as long, because it was my second, because I wasn't induced, or because I didn't have an epidural.

The birth ball was more helpful during pregnancy. I would drape myself over it (like hands and knees, but my head/shoulders were resting on the ball). My daughter was posterior and had her little but jammed into my back and it hurt so badly! If I draped myself over the ball, it took some of that pressure off. I did not find the ball useful during labor at all.

If you don't have an epidural during labor, move around to find what feels the most comfortable and do that. Do feel obligated to use a ball or walk or do anything if it isn't comfortable.
March 22nd, 2010, 08:30 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle.W View Post
how does the second birth and recovery differ? (mostly asking for natural vaginal births) Does your belly take longer to go in? is it true the second baby comes out faster/easier? do you recover quicker the second time? or is it torture because you know whats coming at the end? (the burning ) Do you generally have your second baby around the same gestational age as your first? or does it vary?
I recovered a TON faster with my second.. I was up and walking fine a few hours later. Not sure about the belly.. I got pregnant with #3 too quick to find that out LOL. My second baby did NOT come quicker!! My first was 15 1/2 hours... my second took 20 hours, but once he decided he was coming out, there was no stopping him and he almost had to be delivered by the nurse. I was induced with all of them.. the first at 1 day past due date due to gestational diabetes.. the second at 38 weeks because of his size.. the third the day before my due date because of her size so I can't really answer that but I'm convinced that my kids never ever ever ever would have come out on their own or at least that's what it felt like at the time when I was a moody, miserable, very much done with being pregnant, 3rd trimester pregnant lady LOL

Many Many Thanks to GraysMama (Chelsea) for my AMAZING Siggy!!!

March 22nd, 2010, 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama to 3 Monsters View Post
My second baby did NOT come quicker!! My first was 15 1/2 hours... my second took 20 hours....I was induced with all of them.. the first at 1 day past due date due to gestational diabetes.. the second at 38 weeks because of his size

That's probably why in your case 38 weekers are WAAAAAAAY harder to coax out by induction than a 40 weeker. Still 15-20 hours starting from nothing is pretty awesome. I'm jealous of your baby expulsion superpower

March 22nd, 2010, 09:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoaMomma! View Post
That's probably why in your case 38 weekers are WAAAAAAAY harder to coax out by induction than a 40 weeker. Still 15-20 hours starting from nothing is pretty awesome. I'm jealous of your baby expulsion superpower
I'm not sure I'd let them induce that early again (but never know.. I get awful irritated about sharing my body with baby that late in pregnancy LOL) but in hindsight I'm glad we didn't do it different. He had some problems that required he go to the NICU and while no one can tell me for sure what the outcome would have been had he not been induced until later, the one specialist he sees did tell me that there is a good chance that had we waited longer and he was any bigger (which he wasn't really all that big, but with the artery wrapped around his trachea it was a worry) that he could have been distressed during labor/delivery and resulted in an emergency c-section. And I think I actually got scared into labor before they started the pictocin... I'm terrified of needles and heights.. they put monitors on me before doing anything and I wasn't contracting and then the nurse raised my bed up really high and started talking to me about the IV and put the IV in and about 5 minutes later (before the pictocin got started), I was having contractions

Many Many Thanks to GraysMama (Chelsea) for my AMAZING Siggy!!!

March 22nd, 2010, 09:34 AM
I also stalled at 6 for about 10 hours of my 15 hour labor!! weeird!!!

Mama to Valley, Lyric

My Ovulation Chart

March 22nd, 2010, 09:36 AM
Hunni
ok I got one...I hear everyone one of my friends tell me that laboring when you have a boy is a lot harder and longer than a girl, any truth?
my DD's was pretty quick and not too bad so i went drug free but now everyone has me freaked out, by saying how diffucult laboring and stuff with boys are..and there is no way I want an epi..but if it's true may have to consider it lol

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search