tmi question...

Forum: Labor and Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Labor and Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 23rd, 2010, 10:49 AM
Veteran
so this is really tmi, but i'm already dealing with at least 2 stage 2-3 hemorrhoids from this pregnancy. they come out frequently and i swear, it feels like i'm pooping myself all the time with these things just hanging out. my doctor doesn't seem to be concerned with them getting worse during delivery, but i definitely am. i can't even cough or blow my nose without feeling them get worse--how am i ever going to push out a full-sized baby down there without hurting myself further? i don't think it's unreasonable to want a c-section in this situation so that i don't end up making a bad situation worse and possibly needing surgery to fix them. i understand a lot of women get them during pushing/delivery and that they usually heal afterward, but if i already have them, isn't a regular delivery just asking for more severe problems? anyone have any experiences to share about this?

BFP 9/4/09 - Michael John born 5/5/10
ectopic w/tube closure 3/24/09, 8w0d
2nd m/c 12/27/08, 5w2d
1st m/c 10/12/08, 4w6d
March 23rd, 2010, 11:51 AM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I honestly have NO idea on this topic. I do have a friend who had a 9lb2oz baby naturally, but to this day suffers what is called an anal fissure. I will ask her if she had hemrrhoids during her pregnancy and the delivery resulted in making them worse (the fissures) or if they just appeared post-delivery.

I also have a friend who is a midwife. I will direct this question to her and see if she has any insight on how to help.

I think as far as wanting a c-section, it is a major surgery that comes with risks and is not a decision that should be made lightly. I think healing from the surgery might be worse than treating the hemrrhoids, but I have never experienced either situation so I can't say for certain. I think if you discuss this with your doctor, s/he will help you make the best decision for your situation!

I'm really, REALLY sorry I can't help you right now but I will get back to this post asap with some answers! Otherwise, please stick around and jump right on it!!! Congratulations on your pregnancy.

btw, I'm Chelsea, one of the hosts here. Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions or concerns about anything posted on the board! Otherwise, We really hope you stick around!!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
March 23rd, 2010, 12:50 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I got hemrroids with each one of my 3 previous pregnancies in the second trimester and they didn't go away until after delivery. Having a normal vaginal delivery didn't make them any worse at all. I've already got hemrroids with this pregnancy and I'm only 10 1/2 weeks.. isn't pregnancy fun?? LOL

Many Many Thanks to GraysMama (Chelsea) for my AMAZING Siggy!!!

March 23rd, 2010, 01:56 PM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
Hi I'm Danielle the other cohost. We love new people especially pregnant ones so please stick around!

I have an answer for you from an OB's perspective. But I need to get home and get on a pc instead of my iPhone and I will type out her recommendation.

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
March 23rd, 2010, 04:25 PM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
OK she said:

1) Brew up some family size bags of lipton tea. After they have started to brew for a few minutes, take them out of boiling water and place on a towel and let them cool. Do NOT blot or wring them dry. Then when they are wet and cool.....ahem.....sit on them. The tannic acid will shrink your hemorrhoids and give you some relief. She said you should do this when you get home from work and again before you go to bed and then as needed. It's not a permanent fix, but you will not be walking around so miserable!

2) Your OB can prescribe a medicine to shrink them more permanently. I didn't write it down though. If you'd like the exact name of the drug, I will get it for you.

3) She said that a lot of women will not have any problem during a vaginal delivery bc the baby's head presses on the arteries carrying blood to your hemmorhoids. So they will shrink on their own during labor and disappear completely by the time you push. She has seen cases where that didn't happen. She said in those cases she recommends an epidural so the pain doesn't interfere with pushing. Only one case in 30 years of practice required follow-up hemorrhoid surgery and one that required a cesarean to deliver safely. She stressed that even in that one extreme case, the total blood volume loss was less than the average blood loss in a cesarean. In a vaginal delivery you can lose up to 500 mL before it's considered a hemorrhage. In a cesarean it's up to 1L of blood before they consider you to be hemorrhaging because the average blood loss is always more than 500mL.

While I am a big supporter of a woman's right to choose her mode of delivery, I would encourage you to familiarize yourself with the risks inherent in any cesarean delivery before making your decision. There is a myth perpetuated by the medical community that it's a piece of cake procedure with an easy recovery, and that's just not the whole story. But I'm not going to list risks and complications and such unless you WANT to hear them - as I try really hard not to preach the gospel of vaginal birth unless I have a willing audience

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
March 23rd, 2010, 08:37 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My midwife friend pretty much said verbatim what the OBGYN said

She agrees that your body will protect itself and the hemorrhoids will likely shrink down during your actual labor, so pushing isn't effected and healing from that will be a lot easier than healing from a c-section that may not be necessary! Discuss all the options with your OB though and you will make the best decision for YOU

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
March 28th, 2010, 02:42 AM
KatieMae's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Just adding to what they said, my sister-in-law said she had horrible hemorrhoids (though she tends to exaggerate everything ) and that it was hardly even a thought in her head when she started pushing and they did shrink. She did end up having a cesarean though it was due to my nephew going into distress because of a combo of pitocin/her pushing.

Thanks to
misfitinmn for my signature!

Last edited by KatieMae; March 28th, 2010 at 02:44 AM. Reason: spelling, oy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search