Pudendal block

Forum: Labor and Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Labor and Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 25th, 2010, 10:21 AM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What do you think of this?

This form requires two injections, one on each side inside the vagina, to numb the nerves of the vaginal area and perineum (the region between the vagina and rectum). This is most commonly used during the second stage of labor, when you are fully dilated and pushing out the baby's head. The numbness provided is usually quick-acting, effective and considered safe for you and your baby. This technique can be used for vaginal deliveries, repairing episiotomy tears/lacerations of the perineum, and can be used by your doctor to relieve pain associated with a vacuum extractor or outlet forceps-assisted vaginal delivery of your baby's head. The main risk of pudendal blocks is incomplete numbness. A very rare complication is accidental injection of the medication into a blood vessel around the cervix and vagina.

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
March 25th, 2010, 11:04 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I had either this or something similar so that my doctor could repair the tear I had with my daughter. I had a scar from my son that I tore along with my daughter, so I think I'm likely to always tear there. I'm debating asking for it before pushing next time. If they're going to give it to me anyway, why not earlier so that pushing doesn't hurt as much?
March 25th, 2010, 01:45 PM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had something like this to repair an internal tear - it was quite painful to get - my midwife called in the overseeing OB to administer because she hadn't done one in a long time and I guess there is a risk of hitting an artery.

I did not experience complete numbness either and was freaking the hell out and they gave me a mild sedative.

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**
Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 2/19/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

March 25th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Veteran
That's crazy, I was just coming here to post about this! I read about it too recently. I don't want an epidural or any other crazy meds during labor but it would be really nice to get something to help with the pushing stage! I'd love to hear more about it! Pros & Cons, etc.

March 25th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanieKay View Post
That's crazy, I was just coming here to post about this! I read about it too recently. I don't want an epidural or any other crazy meds during labor but it would be really nice to get something to help with the pushing stage! I'd love to hear more about it! Pros & Cons, etc.
welcome to the board!! I'm chelsea, a co-host. I did not have an epidural or any other pain medication during my delivery, and I would personally NEVER want this. I had a local after because I needed one stitch and that didn't hurt, but I have heard getting the pudendal hurts like a b!+ch. I watched a woman get it on Birth Day (On Discovery Health) and her reaction made me queasy! Pushing didn't hurt really, IMO. It was more relief. There is about a second of pain with the ring of fire (i thought my midwife for some unknown reason, had her fingers in my butt..thats pretty much what it feels like )

of course these are all just my personal opinions! maybe we have someone who can share their personal experiences!

if you haven't visited the natural child birth board, you should! They are great if you're planning a natural delivery! And please, stick around here! We would love to follow your pregnancy with you!! And always feel free to PM me if you have any questions specifically about having a natural birth!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth

Last edited by ChicaChels; March 25th, 2010 at 02:48 PM.
March 25th, 2010, 05:06 PM
it was very painful for me to get. I don't think it would have made pushuing any easier - I think it would have made me very tense. I was very tense! But I also had an OB up to his elbow in my hoo-ha repairing a tear near my cervix! haha!

Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

March 25th, 2010, 05:52 PM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
I would be concerned about giving this to a woman who hadn't ever pushed out a baby before bc I wonder if feeling the contrx and not any burning would make you more likely to push too hard too fast and tear. But for a woman who has already given birth vaginally and knows how to push effectively it might be a welcomed option for a woman concerned about feeling a repeat tear without the potential side effects of an epidural or narcotics. Having witnessed a woman scream in agony during a forceps delivery I could also see utility during any instrumental delivery.

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
March 25th, 2010, 06:01 PM
people feel the tearing? Huh, never knew that! I didn't feel my tear, but my adrenaline was out of control

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
March 25th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Platinum Supermommy
NO THANK YOU!!!!

An acquaintance I know claims to have gotten one of these before her baby was crowning, she said her OB offered this to her... We went to the same OB and I was never offered it, so it was probably something she asked for...

I am THANKFUL I felt the "ring of fire"... I wasn't even numbed when I got my 3 stitches... my epi was just about worn off when it came to the pushing... Stitch me for a tear, but no needle pricks or extra meds because of luxury...
March 25th, 2010, 06:27 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicaChels View Post
people feel the tearing? Huh, never knew that! I didn't feel my tear, but my adrenaline was out of control
Oh yea... my epi had worn off by the time I was pushing... I was able to move my legs, they felt like they were asleep but I could move them, started feeling the contrax again, going feel her moving on down, and when it came to the crowning I felt myself tearing on the left side... it was an odd feeling like if you take your skin and pull it really hard and add some fire on it...
March 25th, 2010, 06:34 PM
huh, i felt nothing like that! I only had a papercut tear and a small tear (1 stitch) from her being yanked out of me though

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth

Last edited by ChicaChels; March 25th, 2010 at 06:37 PM.
March 25th, 2010, 06:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I ended up having a 2nd degree tear and received 3 stitches... eek!
March 25th, 2010, 07:59 PM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
No thanks. I'd rather have the epi again...it wasn't really painful to have inserted. But that sounds like...EEEKK.

March 26th, 2010, 02:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMc View Post
No thanks. I'd rather have the epi again...it wasn't really painful to have inserted. But that sounds like...EEEKK.
I'm glad to hear your epi wasn't painful. Mine was so miserable that I remember thinking "why would anyone volunteer for this?!" it's kinda reassuring to hear that they aren't all like that in case I ever need one again.

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
March 26th, 2010, 07:33 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoaMomma! View Post
I would be concerned about giving this to a woman who hadn't ever pushed out a baby before bc I wonder if feeling the contrx and not any burning would make you more likely to push too hard too fast and tear.
For me, pushing with no pain medication was so painful that I pushed too much just to get it done with. Once the burning/stretching/tearing sensation started, I didn't sop pushing (and screaming) until she was out, just so that it would be over. My daughter was posterior, which is probably why it hurt me so much. An anterior baby with its chin tucked is way smaller to birth than a posterior baby.

There was a slight burning feeling when my OB gave me the local for repairing my tear, but it didn't hurt. I'm guessing that if I had a cervical tear and had to be injected up there, that might have hurt. But I also didn't find the epidural I had with my son to be painful. When they gave me the IV for the pitocin with him, they wanted to numb the area with novocain, but I've had a bad reaction in the past, so I said no. It didn't hurt to get the IV, so I'm not sure why they do it as standard procedure. Maybe all the IVs I had for fluids during pregnancy made me immune to the pain of needle punctures?
March 26th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverlife View Post
When they gave me the IV for the pitocin with him, they wanted to numb the area with novocain, but I've had a bad reaction in the past, so I said no. It didn't hurt to get the IV, so I'm not sure why they do it as standard procedure.
Huh. That's so weird. I didn't find the IV to be painful either. It just pinched a little like having blood drawn. What a strange thing to be concerned about when you're about to pump pitocin into someone

March 26th, 2010, 11:46 AM
getting my iv placed hurt like a bizzo, even with the numbing stuff! the crazy nurse kept hitting my wrist bone

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
March 26th, 2010, 12:10 PM
Platinum Supermommy
They put my IV in my forearm. Was yours in your hand?

My veins are so tiny they had to get an NICU nurse to come and put it in!
March 26th, 2010, 12:37 PM
I hate having blood taken or getting an IV - it never takes less than 6 sticks, and by then both arms are bruised! I wish they had more competent nurses on when I need that kind of stuff done. - blah!

March 26th, 2010, 04:07 PM
My IV was on my left wrist. I still can't use it properly today! It is so weak. Sam and I were doing yoga last night and I thought I broke it because it gave out from under me. I think I'm going to have my chiro take x-rays of it! They tried putting it in my forearm (per my request) but I don't have a good vein. It made getting in many productive positions almost unbearable! (such as hands and knees)

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search