Another Epidural Question

Forum: Labor and Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Labor and Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 27th, 2010, 08:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I was reading all the answers in the Epidural question post and was wondering... For each of mine, I got the epidural but I was still able to move my legs.. although barely but I could still move them and even with the epidural, I was able to feel every one of the contractions.. they just didn't hurt as bad as before the epidural. The OB I had with my last 2 pregnancies (and this one) made a point to tell me that if it got to where I couldn't move my legs at all or I stopped being able to feel the contractions then I needed to let them know because they wanted to make sure I could feel the contractions to know when to push when that time came. After delivery, within 15 minutes I had full feeling back. By reading everyone else's responses though, it kinda seems like most people can't feel their legs or the contractions after they get epidural. I was just wondering if it's normal to have as much sensation as I had with the epidural.

Many Many Thanks to GraysMama (Chelsea) for my AMAZING Siggy!!!

March 27th, 2010, 01:58 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I did not have an epidural so I can't help you, but hopefully someone else can. I do know they can administer what is called a walking epidural which is mostly just to take the edge off.

Walking Epidural

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
March 27th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
When I got the epidural I was under the same impression that you wouldn't be able to feel or move from belly button down...

I had some feeling in my left leg, it was numb I could still feel, but could barely move it.. With my right leg I had sensation and was able to move it... my belly and lower pelvis was numb feeling but could still feel sensation and only pressure with the contractions...

I had the epi less than 2 hrs and the nurses knew I wanted to go all natural without pain meds but I couldn't dilate anymore and was put on "the clock" so once I was fully dilated and effaced they shut it off... about an hour and half later I was pushing and the epi was about 80ish percent worn off so I was feeling EVERYTHING...

My assumption with being able to still feeling stuff is that the med that was in the epi, I had Fentanyl, was not evenly spread out through the epidural space of the spinal cord. I am assuming that I had more med being administered to the left side of the spinal cord then the right... I was being turned every 15-20mins to keep the med spread evenly as possible throughout the epidural space and to help with dilating and effacing me... I am thinking I was probably turned more onto my left side then I was my right but I was turned consistently to help with med administration and dilation....
March 27th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh yeah.. that was another thing I was wondering about... No one ever came to have me turn one side to the other. The only time anyone turned me was if I asked to turn.

Many Many Thanks to GraysMama (Chelsea) for my AMAZING Siggy!!!

March 27th, 2010, 04:37 PM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
Well I wasn't turned. I was FLAT. I was tingly numb from the midsection down. I could not feel contrx at all except in the window. My hospital does not allow walking epidurals bc they are afraid if you CAN walk, you WILL and then you might fall and sue them. The plan with me was to shut off the epidural before pushing, so I'm not sure if he would have done it differently if I was planning to push with it on. Each anesthesiologist mixes their own unique cocktail so no two epis will be exactly the same unless you have the same doctor.

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
March 28th, 2010, 06:19 AM
wonderfullymade's Avatar Doula & MW Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to wonderfullymade
The epidurals with less risk are able to give you some mobility while decreasing pain to pressure or pressure with slight discomfort.

This is a combination of what type they give you, how heavy of an initial dose they give you (as it tends to be heavier than the rest of the epidural), how susceptible you are to the medications in the epidural, and the depth/placement of the catheter. Some epidural catheters are fed too high, too deep, or off to one side, giving too heavy or one-sided comfort.

I have attended a good number of women who had epidurals that allowed them to move their own legs, reposition themselves, and keep themselves more upright (no BP issues). A few of the women I have attended received too heavy of coverage and had difficulty getting baby down/out during 2nd stage. This also limited their positions during laboring, causing baby to 'drop' in an awkward position.

I digress.

Bellies & Babies Blogger
March 28th, 2010, 11:41 AM
gctattoo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had my epidural for about seven hours. I wasn't allowed to get out of bed since my water had already broken so being able to move alot wasn't an issue for me. I was able to shift in bed using my legs. Nobody ever asked to me to turn. Are they supposed to?

However, I didn't have much feeling at all in my lower body most of the time. And my legs felt just like your cheeks/lips do when they numb your mouth at the dentist. I had no idea when I had contractions until it started to wear off a bit and I pressed the little boost button once.

When I was almost completely dilated, it started to wear off again. It felt like minor menstrual cramps. Not really painful, more like a dull ache. I didn't push the button again though since I knew I'd be pushing soon.

When it was time to push, all I could feel was pressure. There was no pain whatsoever, even when I got the episiotomy. I could feel the knife touching me, but for all I knew, it could've been a pen being dragged across my skin. That was a lovely epidural. LOL
March 28th, 2010, 12:44 PM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
Mama to 3 Monsters - my experience was similar to yours. It wasn't what I was expecting, but I liked how it worked out.

March 28th, 2010, 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gctattoo View Post
I had my epidural for about seven hours. I wasn't allowed to get out of bed since my water had already broken so being able to move alot wasn't an issue for me.
I'm confused. Why do they confine you to bed just bc your membranes are ruptured?

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
March 28th, 2010, 10:27 PM
danielle..I was out of bed and walking around for 10 hours post AROM and I was leaking fluid like a maniac, but my nurse just followed me with a bunch of fluffies (thats what we call the hospital pads )

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
March 29th, 2010, 05:00 AM
wonderfullymade's Avatar Doula & MW Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to wonderfullymade
Unfortunately, and without valid reason, that is one of the fluff-n-stuff reasons that medical staff will give women to keep them in bed... Water broke? Stay in bed. EFM? Stay in bed. IV? Stay in bed. Contractions? Stay in bed... they come up with "great" reasons to keep a woman in bed, but don't give the most important ones - reasons to keep a woman out of bed.

Bellies & Babies Blogger
March 29th, 2010, 08:17 AM
i had all of the above mentioned and my midwife was like "Get your arse out of bed woman" i love my midwife

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
March 29th, 2010, 10:41 AM
My water broke spontaneously (is it still considered spontaneous if you're on pitocin at the time????), and I had an IV with pit, continuous wireless EFM (HATED that! Will not agree next time around, I don't care what they say), and hyperstimulated contractions. Nobody had to tell me to get out of bed - I couldn't have gotten in the bed if my life depended on it. It hurt too dang bad to lie down! I migrated from chair to ball to toilet to tub and wherever else I could find comfort for a few minutes. My favorite place was on the floor much to the consternation of everyone else.

March 30th, 2010, 08:32 AM
It was hospital policy that I had to stay in bed because of my water breaking for fear of infection. I also got a dose of antibiotics at the 18 hour mark after the rupture.
March 30th, 2010, 08:59 AM
that is just crazy!! I was already on antibiotics, but that is just nuts. HOw many peoples' water breaks in a dirt bungalow and they do just fine!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
March 30th, 2010, 11:15 AM
Platinum Supermommy
What strikes me as bizarre about that policy is that it's not like the bed is so much less likely to harbor germs than the air around you if you were standing. And if you were sitting anywhere else (like a rocking chair or birth ball), would you put a chux pad under yourself anyway?
March 30th, 2010, 03:29 PM
I don't agree with the policy at all. And if I would've known, I would've stayed at home longer rather than end up in the hospital for almost 24 hours before DD was born.

I think that being stuck in bed was a big contributing factor in my labor taking so long and needing an extreme amount of pitocin to progress. I wasn't in any positions that would promote dilation. Perhaps if I could've been up and around, I would've progressed more quickly.
March 30th, 2010, 04:14 PM
What a horrible policy. Once again I find myself curious as to what they would do if you had stood up to them and just done your own thing. Just once I wanna see that. I'm dying to know how they would handle it.

The irony of that policy is it's not like you're walking around naked and impaling yourself in random objects. I wonder how exactly they thought bacteria were going to get inside you.....?

March 30th, 2010, 08:22 PM
duh danielle its going to float right in

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
March 30th, 2010, 08:34 PM
I'm reminded of an awful Family Guy quote: so is there any tread left on the tires or is it pretty much like throwing a hotdog down a hallway?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search