Aaden Jeffery's Birth Story

Forum: Labor and Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Labor and Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 29th, 2010, 01:27 PM
~Allison~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I know there's a subforum for birth stories, but I wanted to post it on the main board to make sure it's seen by everyone.

My due date was Thursday, June 19, 2008.

On February 23, 2008, my mom lost her 2 year battle with colon cancer. Every year, we take part in the American Cancer Society's Relay for Life. The 2008 Relay for Life was scheduled for June 27, 2008, which was 1 week and 1 day after my due date. It was very important for me to be in attendance at the Relay for Life in 2008.

At my 39 week appointment on Tuesday, June 10, I talked to my doctor (Dr. C) about the possibility of inducing me. I told him about my mom's loss, and how important it was to me that I attend the Relay, and not be big & uncomfortable, or have just had Aaden a few days prior. He informed me that they don't induce until 39 weeks, which is what I was that Thursday. He also said it would depend on how favorable my cervix was, but he said he would have no problem doing it if I met both of those requirements. I was checked, and was 1 cm. dilated, and he stripped my membranes. I was told to make an appointment for later in the week to check if the membrane stripping did anything.

I made an appointment for that Friday, June 13.

At the appointment, I saw a different doctor (Dr. DP), and told her why I was wanting the induction. She checked me, and I was dilated between 2-3 cm., with a soft cervix and bulging bag of water. She told me she wouldn't be surprised if she saw me that weekend! She left the room for a few minutes, and came back with an induction paper. I was scheduled for my induction at 6:00 a.m. on Tuesday, June 17, 2008.

The weekend came and went with nothing, so bright & early Tuesday morning, DH & I drove the 45 minute drive to the hospital. When we arrived in L&D, we were taken to a room, and I was told to change into a gown and leave a urine sample. Once I had completed both of those, I was hooked up to the monitors, and had an IV started. Since I tested positive for GBS, I was given Penicillin along with the Pitocin. I was having contractions, but I couldn't feel them. At 7:30 a.m., Dr. DP came in and checked me, and broke my water. I was between 3-4 cm. After my water was broken, the contractions were becoming more painful and I was getting uncomfortable. I tried laying on my back, and it was uncomfortable. I tried laying on both sides, and it was uncomfortable. Finally, my nurse suggested sitting in a rocking chair for awhile. That felt better for a few minutes, but started to get uncomfortable really fast, so I moved back to the bed. The contractions were pretty intense and close together, but I was doing a good job of controlling the pain. Around 10:15, I asked for my epidural. Thankfully, the anesthesiologist wasn't busy, and she was able to come right up to my room. She started explaining everything she was going to do, and what she needed me to do. I got sat up, and used the nurse as my support. The anesthesiologist was awesome, and gave step-by-step explanations as to what she was doing, and I didn't feel a single thing. After I got laid back in bed, the epidural took effect immediately. About 10 minutes after I got the epidural, my nurse came in to put in a catheter. I tried to take a nap, but was shaking so much (an epidural side effect), I couldn't get to sleep, so I just laid there and listened to my iPod. I also started to feel a lot of pressure. It seriously felt like I was going to poop out a watermelon. Around 12:30, my nurse checked me, and I was complete! She called Dr. DP, and started setting up the room. Once Dr. DP got there and got suited up, they had me push a few times to bring his head all the way down, then we played the waiting game. I couldn't feel any of my contractions, so the nurse had to watch the monitor for when I was having one. I finally started having regular contractions, and after 2 pushes, his head was out. Even though I couldn't feel any pain, I could still feel an intense amount of pressure when it came out. I pushed a few more times, and at 1:08 p.m., he was born and Dr. DP put him on my chest, where he stayed for probably 5 minutes before the nurse took him over to weigh/measure, etc. him. I delivered the placenta a few minutes later. Aaden was given back to me while Dr. DP was stitching me up (I had a 3rd degree tear). He was wide awake, and very, very alert. Dr. DP and the nurses couldn't believe how alert he was. He stayed that way for close to 2 hours after delivery.

I wanted to share my birth story to let everyone know that inductions, doctors, hospitals & epidurals aren't that scary.

Last edited by ~Allison~; March 29th, 2010 at 01:31 PM.
March 29th, 2010, 01:36 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
what an awesome birth story thank you for sharing!! I wish my induction went that smoothly! <insert jealousy here!>

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
March 29th, 2010, 02:12 PM
~Allison~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I know I got very, very lucky!

March 29th, 2010, 03:44 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it's fantastic that your doctor wouldn't induce you unless you were scoring high on the bishop scale. That is a doctor who deserves to be in practice, for sure!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
March 29th, 2010, 03:49 PM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
Me too me too! I'm soooooo jealous right now. Your cervical dilation ability rocks my socks off!

I'm so glad you got supportive practitioners who honored and respected your needs. That's my wish for all of us.

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search