New Here! : )

Forum: Labor and Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Labor and Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 5th, 2010, 08:50 PM
My3Boys64's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hello ladies! My name is Danielle and Danielle was kind enough to direct me over to these boards - Thank you Danielle! This is just the place for me to hang out and ask questions while I wait to conceive another baby and work on deciding how I will birth him or (hopefully!) her. I have had 2 c-sections and my sons William and Jackson are 2 and 4 1/2 months old. I am not planning another pregnancy for a year or so but I am already thinking about how I will have my future children. I would like to VBA2C but I cannot get past my fear of uterine rupture and so I am not sure, anyway I have yet to find a doctor and hospital to allow it. I would like 4 or 5 children and therin lies my concern. I wonder if a doctor would allow me to have 5 c-sections and what are the risks of so many c-sections? I recovered very well from my first with a tiny scar and (according to my second surgeon) almost zero scar tissue. The second section was harder because I tried to go on only Ibuprophin after they removed my IV morphine drip and was crying in pain by the time the nurses came to me with pain medicine almost three hours after I had called them and so by then the pain had "gotten ahead of me" and I suffered with much pain for weeks afterwards. I also had a small infection on the outside incision but otherwise I think I healed well. Anyhoo, I also would like to know if anyone knows about hiring a midwife for a c-section? I thank you all for any advice or information you may have and I look forward to getting to know you all! Danielle

Danielle - Mama to William 02-05-08, Jackson 11-20-09 & Mason 09-08-11.
April 5th, 2010, 10:04 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
welcome Danielle! I'm Chelsea, the other co-host here. Your boys are beautiful!

I don't know a whole lot about c-sections, but I have a very good friend who is a midwife and I talked to her. she recommended trying to find a birth center or home birth midwife that will allow a vba2c. She said there isn't a whole lot of risk added with 2 c-sections if you had very little scar tissue from the first. She said once you go past to 3-4 c-sections she doesnt think anyone would ever take you on as a vbac patient.

As long as you avoid pitocin and cytotec (and I'm not sure about cervadil, I didn't ask her) your chances of rupture are very small. I know some midwives/obgyns will induce or augment labor with pitocin in vbac patients, but it's VERY dangerous, and cytotec is dangerous in itself.

If and when you're vbac'ing, try natural things to stimulate contractions before letting them near you with pitocin (nipple stim, pressure points, walking, etc)

As far as how many c-sections you can have, my cousin is a Med-Surg nurse who mostly scrubs in for c-sections and she says she has 5-6-7 c-section mommas all the time. I think as long as the surgeon knows you want to have a lot of kids they are more careful when they close you up. (That's just my theory from talking to people)

I'm sorry I can't be more help, but I am glad to have you hear! I hope you stick around!!!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
April 6th, 2010, 12:56 AM
KatieMae's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi! I'm Katie and I'm the resident childless, doula-to-be lurker/occasional poster Obviously I've never had a c-section but all the information I've heard backs up what Chelsea already said: avoid Pit and Cytotec. I'm always told to be very vocal about what you want, make sure that you find someone who really hears you out...there's bound to be the right person out there for you.

Other than that, welcome

Thanks to
misfitinmn for my signature!

April 6th, 2010, 08:17 AM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
Hello Danielle! So glad to have you here!

The chance of uterine rupture is very small no matter what you decide to do. With one previous cesarean and a low transverse scar with double stitching, your chances are between .09% and .8% with a VBAC. It is interesting to note that in a recent studey, the rate of uterine rupture during VBAC was 5 per 1000 laboring women. It was 2 per 1000 women undergoing a planned ERCS. That's one thing not many people talk about - there is still a risk of uterine rupture (although less of one) with a cesarean.

It's also important to remember that not all ruptures are complete - many are small tears that will heal on their own. And also that even in the less than 1% of women who rupture, only rarely does it result in death for mom or baby or loss of the uterus.

Some very recent data has also found that there is not a substantial measurable increase in risk of rupture for VBAC bs VBAMC. So the fact that you have 2 previous incisions vs 1 should not automatically frighten you.

The most important thing to VBAC safely is to avoid agents that intensify or cause uterine contractions. You don't want unnecessary stress on the scar. So avoid pitocin and cytotec, as well as cervadil, other ripening agents, and amniotomy (though these are all safer than pit and cytotec).

Since you are interested in a midwife, I would suggest that you find a hospital based midwife willing to let you VBAC. If you require transfer to an OB or reach a point in the pregnancy that you are not comfortable delivering vaginally (since labor can't be induced) then she could be present during your c/s. Whereas if you go with a midwife that does not have priveleges at a hospital, she may not be permitted to accompany you to the OR.

The real danger with multiple c/s (aside from normal risks of surgery and the complications to the baby that exist with ANY cesarean) are problems with the placenta growing into the uterine scar. This is an extremely dangerous condition that can result in major life-saving surgery AT BEST where they might be able to save your uterus. Your OB (probably without mentioning it to you as as not to worry you for no reason) will check your ultrasounds carefully to see if your placenta is anywhere near your scar. Excessive scar tissue (which you apparently don't have ) increases this risk. So they will usually know before actually going in to do the surgery if you are at risk. A shocking surprise placenta accreta or percreta is very very rare. And if your OB sees something inside that concerns him/her that a future pregnancy could result in accreta, he/she will tell you. And you could still get pregnant one more time after that and just be monitored very very closely - but you would have to accept the risks that entails of a hysterectomy.

I am a strong supporter of VBAC, and I hope that you do make the choice to attempt one if you are interested in it. You can always change your mind at the 11th hour and get a RCS. But you can't switch the other way - KWIM? But don't make any decision based on fear. Your risks of both complications are very very very small. If you'd like to see studies with figures for these risks, I can find them if you let me know which ones you're interested in.

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
April 6th, 2010, 09:57 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi!! I'm Andrea and I'm expecting my 4th in October. I don't have any info or experience with c-sections or VBAC, but just wanted to introduce myself and said Hi

Many Many Thanks to GraysMama (Chelsea) for my AMAZING Siggy!!!

April 6th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Hi and thank you so much for all the great info!! Ok here is a new slightly embarrasing one to throw at ya - this may sound rediculous and selfish but what happens to your vagina after a vaginal birth? My breasts have turned into comletely empty saggy sacs after breastfeeding and my stomach is all loose and my hips are huge and well, I would hate to ruin what my husband calls a "perfect" vagina - vain as it may sound. I have been struggling with my insecurity for the past two years and things have been really really hard for me - so I won't deny its a concern. I am afraid of my pelvis breaking too, that sounds horrible and I do have a small one- and a sway back - but I don't believe its incapable of birthing a child - in fact I want very badly to have vaginal birth and prove to myself and those (like my previous OB and my negative mother) who say my pelvis cannot birth a baby, that it can. And I would love to avoid another c-section - but I am afraid I will have such a hard time and something will go wrong. There is no one else I trust to take care of my children, I have to be able to do it or I will be miserable with worry and stress, thats how I felt after my c-section for the first two weeks because I could not care as well for my toddler as I wanted. And stress and anxiety attacks affected my milk supply so badly that I made hardly any breastmilk at all, and with William I made a TON of milk for 14 months! I want to avoid stress as well. UGh! Its so hard to know because anything can happen!

April 6th, 2010, 08:51 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was kind of worried about what would happen to my vagina too. I didn't want to the "the hallway with a hotdog in it"..but Sam assures me that he really can tell no difference. He said he expected it to be a lot different, but he was pleasantly surprised. He asked my midwife at my 6w pp appt if vaginas were magical (you really have to know Sam, and the relationship we have with our midwife to even kind of understand that lol) and she said "Duh Sam, you can birth a human with them" and he was like "Well, yeah, but it FEELS EXACTLY THE SAME AS BEFORE" lol...she said they pretty much "snap" back to normal about a month post partum (we only waited 17 days to dtd)

and I can't speak for everyone who has had a vaginal birth, but I was literally up and walking around within minutes of giving birth and I had NO post partum pain - no uterine pain, no butt pain, no vaginal pain..nada. I had no pain medication during labor/delivery, which is why I was able to get up and walk around. I honestly felt like nothing had happened and I had a verrry long, painful labor. It was such a mystery to me because I'd heard all these horrifying stories about the things you are describing

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
April 8th, 2010, 12:30 PM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
From what I've read, most changes in vaginal elasticity occur as a result of tearing. Your vagina changes after you have sex for the first time because the muscle wall tears in tiny little places all over and heals differently to allow for intercourse. If you have sex with lots of different men - in multiple shapes and sizes - then it can tear (again we're talking microscopic here - no bleeding you would notice) and lose elasticity over time. If you have an episiotomy or severe tearing during childbirth (3rd or 4th degree) you might see a significant change in the elasticity from a single vaginal birth. Most of the time women who can just sneeze out a baby have had several vaginal births with minute tearing each time that has the same effect as sex with lots of different men: gradual loss of elasticity. But one properly birthed baby with a midwife or OB who knows how to support the perineum and prevent tearing (and does not believe in episiotomy) shouldn't cause any noticeable change. But frankly I take Sam's word over some medical article any day.

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
April 8th, 2010, 02:44 PM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
I worried about the same thing, and I pushed her out so quickly (hey, turns out I was a GREAT pusher...who knew? ) that I ended up with a 2nd degree tear b/c the nurses were running trying to find my Dr who thought it would take me a lot longer....but while that did cause some post partum pain, I was also up and walking (stiches and all) shortly after birth....and within a month everything was back to normal - I still have twinges of pain where the tear was, but nowhere near as bad as I feared it would be.

And welcome to the group!!

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
April 10th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Thanks!! : )

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search