birth plan

Forum: Labor and Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Labor and Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 8th, 2010, 07:40 AM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Did you have one?

Did your experience go accordingly?

What was the five most important things on the plan?

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
April 8th, 2010, 08:05 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I didn't have one with my son. I did have a very brief one with my daughter, but I never gave it to anyone. The nurse at my hospital followed my birth plan without me even giving it to her. It was basically to not distract me during contractions or ask me about pain.

The only thing important to me is not really something that can be "planned"--I wanted to avoid a c-section. I get such bad PPD that I really didn't want to have PPD and a c-section recovery.
April 8th, 2010, 08:28 AM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
I did. But my midwifery practice requires everyone to have one. You sit down with a midwife and make it together and she talks you through every single choice and procedure and makes notes on your feelings about everything. It was AWESOME to not have to discuss any of that stuff while I was in labor. I think it's something every woman should do. But just reading stuff and writing it down or using a template from the internet and handing it to someone without discussion doesn't help. It's more about the discussion than the product to me.

Absolutely nothing about my birth was what I wanted.

The 5 most important things to me were:

1) No pitocin
2) No IV
3) No Continuous EFM
4) Freedom to push in any position
5) I didn't want anyone counting at me while I was pushing

The first 3 went out the door as soon as I was forced into an induction and the last 2 were irrelevant bc I never got to the pushing stage.

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
April 8th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My birth plan never changed from kid to kid... it was always.... GET THE KID OUT OF ME NOW!!! lol

Many Many Thanks to GraysMama (Chelsea) for my AMAZING Siggy!!!

April 8th, 2010, 01:57 PM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama to 3 Monsters View Post
My birth plan never changed from kid to kid... it was always.... GET THE KID OUT OF ME NOW!!! lol
haha I totally felt the same way!!

I didn't have a formal plan, but had discussed with my OB and DH what I wanted...and in the end I got almost nothing I wanted the way I wanted it

1) No meds (beyond induction meds) - FAIL, ended up with Stadol prior to the epidural, which sucked big time and I would never, under any circumstances, allow that to be given to me again.

2) No epidural - FAIL...in fairness I don't regret the epi, as it turns out I have a more serious issue with back from pregnancy that wasn't known at the time...and the back labor from the induction was brutally painful.

3) Wanted to be able to get out of bed/push in different positions - BIG FAIL...the cervical ripening agent required me to lay down (for 10 hours since we did 4 doses or something insane because I wasn't progressing) and by the time I got the pitocin and epidural then we had heartrate scare with baby so I was being rolled side to side constantly when her hb would dive during each contraction. So yep, I labored for 16 hours on my back

4) Avoid an episiotomy - PARTIAL FAIL...Since I ended up tearing, not sure if I was better off with or without one. The tear happened when I pushed a lot faster/efficiently than they anticipated and my OB wasn't there yet - she said afterwards she would have done the episiotomy because of how I tore (somewhere between a 2nd & 3rd degree tear) but since she wasn't there in time technically I avoided one...but i didn't avoid tearing, which would have been the actual goal.

5) Avoid c-section - this was my most important one, and the only one I got...so guess I shouldn't complain too much about the others

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
April 8th, 2010, 03:09 PM
wonderfullymade's Avatar Doula & MW Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to wonderfullymade
I love the idea of having your birthplan fit on a 3X5 card. If I were to do that, mine would be:

I plan on showing up heavy in labor, so I apologize now if I am not too happy.
I know what medications are available and will ask for it if I feel I need it, please don't ask me if I want them.
I have already talked with my doctor/midwife and he/she is in agreement to discuss any and all interventions thoroughly before I make a decision on them.
If, for any reason, I need an emergency cesarean, I would like to watch, have a hand free to touch him/her, and nurse immediately afterward in recovery.

Sweet, simple.. My doula and dh would get the 'big list'

Bellies & Babies Blogger
April 8th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I had one typed out but since the OB that I was seeing made a comment about how birth plans are a waste and aren't followed... I kinda did even bother with it anymore...

I was exceptionally thankful that the MW and nurses I had during the day were phenomenal and followed my requests to a T
April 8th, 2010, 07:22 PM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I did have one, for both births and things went sort of according to plan with the second, and not at all with the first, the biggest thing on my plan was that if I needed to be put under general anesthesia again for an emergency c/s that the baby not be displayed until I got to see him.

I made Mike promise me no one other than him and nurses/doctors would get to hold him or have their pic taken with him before I did.

When I had my first, I didn't even see him until hours after my surgery and my MIL got to see/hold/pic taken with Adam before I was even awake and it broke my heart.

he is my son, I carried him inside me for 10 months and she got to hold him before I did. She did apologize to me, and so did Mike, but he was excited about his baby, and therefore did not engage his brain - that I may be in the OR dying and he was showing off my baby to his **** mother.l

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**
Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 (9wks) & 3/1/14 (9wks)
Chemical Pregnancy 5/31/15
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

April 9th, 2010, 06:18 AM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ami N View Post
When I had my first, I didn't even see him until hours after my surgery and my MIL got to see/hold/pic taken with Adam before I was even awake and it broke my heart.
I'm so sorry honey My ER cs was at 4:30 in the am and no one was at the hospital except us bc it was so sudden. But I had told my DH ahead of time that no one except him was to see or hold her until I could if I ended up with one. That would have broken my heart too.

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
April 9th, 2010, 06:39 AM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
we had a birth plan but we really never went over it with my midwife. The midwives have their "birth plan" which I really liked (it includes the following: no IV required, freedom to eat/drink as much as needed, push in any position, mom or dad catch baby, wait for cord to stop, all kinds of things I wanted)

but to me the 5 most important things were

1. Avoid visit from anestestologist (Didn't happen, she came in FIVE TIMES - and was promptly kicked out each time)
2. NO ONE to offer me any kind of pain meds (which no one did except the needle queen)
3. NO pain medication (which was successful)
4. Free of CFM/No IFM - had both
5. Baby right to me after birth - which kind of happened. my midwife DID lay her on my stomach for like 1/2 a second before the nurse took her to the transition room for the NICU team to take her (which fortunately they ended up NOT taking her)

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search