im being induced on sunday..

Forum: Labor and Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Labor and Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 13th, 2010, 04:11 PM
So my doctor has decided to induce me on sunday, wich is my due date. I'm already almost 3 centimeters dilated and 70% effaced. I'm also terrified, I would just rather go into labor naturally! Does anyone have any positive experiences with being induced? And also is there anything i should do to prepare? Advice will be greatly appreciated..THANKS!!
April 13th, 2010, 08:58 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
why is your doctor inducing you is my first question? If you don't wana be induced, you don't have to be! Please don't forget that the doctor works FOR you, not the other way around You can "forget" to show up for your induction if you don't want it!

The good news is, that you would check out fairly high on the bishop score making you much less likely for a c-section to happen (but still very possible because pitocin can cause distress, it's very hard on babes)

I was induced (emergency induction due to very severe pre-e) and it was NOT fun at all. They started out with cytotec (I would really strongly discourage anyone getting cytotec) and 12 hours later I was hooked up to Pitocin. I was with a midwife (thankfully, or I absolutely would've had a c-section) and she was very supportive of my personal wishes (no pain medication, minimal intervention), but after being on Pitocin for 18 hours 30 minutes I had a vaginal, epidural free, pain medication free birth. It wasn't an ideal experience, but it was better than I anticipated it to be. (I was a 0 on the bishop score, meaning I was pretty much 99% likely to have a c-section)

If you decide to go with the induction I would make a birth plan - it can be simple (it should be short) and put things that are most important to you in color and bold ink

for example my birth plan goes something like this
During labor
-The lights should be kept low
-I would like as few vaginal exams as possible due to GBS
-I do not want anyone to offer, discuss, or otherwise mention any pain medication to me or my husband.
-I would like to use forms of augmentation other than pitocin (nipple stimulation, the birth ball, the toilet, squatting, hands and knees, etc)

*At the time of delivery
-The lights should be off and no one should be speaking when she is born
-I want to be free to push in any position I desire
-I would like to be instructed when to slow down to prevent tearing, and I would like oil to be massaged if necessary (on the perineium)
-I would like to catch my daughter and pull her immediately to my chest
-No clamping or cutting of the cord should take place until it has stopped pulsating
-Brylie should not be taken away until I have had at least an hour with her
-No newborn procedures should take place

that's not verbatim, but it's the general idea of what I did.

If you don't have a birth plan, I would be happy to help you make one. feel free to PM me.

Also, ask for a breast pump to be available (it can really help contractions pick up, thus you would need less pitocin)
and I know it's hard, but go as long as you can without the epidural so you can be up and out of bed, moving around. Gravity will really help speed up your labor and get that baby out!

Please PM me if you have ANY questions at all, and visit our induction subforum. I will try to get ~Allison~ in here to share her induction experience with you as well!

And, welcome to the board! I hope you stick around!!!! and congrats on your wee one!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
April 14th, 2010, 07:02 AM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
good luck with your induction! Mine had it challenges but I want to reassure you that you'll get through it and you may even be lucky enough that it goes quite quickly....the best thing I did was mentally prepare myself for the induction going looooong - I hoped it would be short (I was also almost 3cm dilated & 80% effaced beforehand) but also brace yourself in case it doesn't go quickly....my labor start to finish took over 16 hours - almost 13 of which were unproductive.

I ditto everything Chels said about waiting on the epidural (but don't beat yourself up if you do need one...I did, and I was very committed to doing my labor drug free) and moving around if possible. I didn't do a birth plan, but did discuss my "wants" with my OB and my husband extensively...and that's really helpful because it's hard to focus on some of those things as labor progresses.

Definitely pop into the new induction sub-forum and ask anything you want! I had a thousand questions about induction before mine...and welcome to the group!

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
April 14th, 2010, 08:32 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I was induced with all 3 of mine. My first was 15.5 hours (3 hours spent pushing) and ended with a forcep delivery, but that's because my son was just as stubborn then as he is now and decided to turn sideways before time to come out. My second was 20 hours but when he decided it was time to come, he came quick. The nurse was actually saying don't push over and over.. the doctor actually walked/ran in in time to catch him and spare the very nervous nurse from having to do it. My third was about 7.5 hours and only took 3 pushes. I didn't have any bad experience with the induction, but I don't recommend a forcep delivery at all.

Many Many Thanks to GraysMama (Chelsea) for my AMAZING Siggy!!!

April 14th, 2010, 08:48 AM
~Allison~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Per Chelsea's request, here I am!

I had a scheduled induction that went very smoothly with absolutely no complications.

Probably the easiest thing for you to do is to read my birth story: http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1...rth-story.html (Aaden Jeffery's Birth Story)

I know an induction isn't right for everyone, but for me, it was. If we decide to have another baby, I will ask to be induced again.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to PM me.

April 14th, 2010, 09:16 AM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
thanks Allison for coming over here!!!!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
April 15th, 2010, 01:37 AM
Cheet_oh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was induced all 4 times with my kids. Like Allison, if I have another, I'll probably ask to be induced again. I also had an epidural with all my kids and I didn't have a birth plan. I don't think there's anything wrong with birth plans, but I walked into pregnancy and birthing without expecting anything except a healthy child at the end. I don't care how I got there and I certainly don't care how others get there as long as they get what they want out of it.

I feel empowered with every single one of my births and having my kids. At the end of my life when my kids are grown and I have great grandchildren all that will matter is love, not a needle in my back, not a scar on my belly and not a piece of paper that I wrote when I gave birth... again, not saying there's anything wrong, I just don't feel for me that spelling out exactly how I want my birth to go is best. I want the surprise, the elation and the thrill, if I do a birth plan, it will feel scripted.

(Angela - 37) (Doug - 32)

(Steven - 20) (Sebastian - 18) (Mina - 13) (Ava - 4) (Aria - 1)

April 15th, 2010, 09:27 AM
~Allison~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I also wanted to add, I didn't have a birth plan. I went in with a "go with the flow" attitude, and let whatever happen, happen.

April 15th, 2010, 06:02 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
I was scheduled for an induction with my first, I went into labor before then, the day before I was due I went into labor (I was scheduled for 2 days after).

The other two deliveries I had were inductions, both were fine. I would not have them break my water as early as they did with my first induction now that I know more and have experienced what that does to my pain level. However, my most recent birth experience was an induction where I did it without pain meds, it was a wonderful birth, don't let induction horror stories scare you, not all inductions are awful.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search