Getting Checked?

Forum: Labor and Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Labor and Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 16th, 2010, 08:30 AM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
how often did they check your cervix before you were in labor?

how many times during active labor was your cervix checked?

did you ever told you were failing to progress? If so, what amount of time were you given before that happened?

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
April 16th, 2010, 09:05 AM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
how often did they check your cervix before you were in labor? Twice prior to induction (at 37 & 38 weeks)

how many times during active labor was your cervix checked? ugh like a dozen times I think? and it HURT horribly....most women I've chatted with said it was uncomfortable but it wasn't exceptionally painful...mine was incredibly painful when they checked both prior to labor and especially during labor.

did you ever told you were failing to progress? If so, what amount of time were you given before that happened? Yes, repeatedly...which is why I was checked so many times during labor. I had virtually no progress for first 12 hours...so had multiple rounds of cytotec and fequent cervix checks to assess change. I think it was around 11-12 hour mark that they broke my water, but they contemplated abandoning the induction entirely due to my concern about having a c-section because I think my OB was fairly convinced at that point that I'd end up with one. I believe I only dilated an single cm during the first 12 hours....it wasn't until they finally started the pitocin (13 hours in) that I made actual progress - after that progress was very rapid and I delivered 3 1/2 hours later.

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
April 16th, 2010, 10:14 AM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-SBB View Post

did you ever told you were failing to progress? If so, what amount of time were you given before that happened? Yes, repeatedly...which is why I was checked so many times during labor. I had virtually no progress for first 12 hours...so had multiple rounds of cytotec and fequent cervix checks to assess change. I think it was around 11-12 hour mark that they broke my water, but they contemplated abandoning the induction entirely due to my concern about having a c-section because I think my OB was fairly convinced at that point that I'd end up with one. I believe I only dilated an single cm during the first 12 hours....it wasn't until they finally started the pitocin (13 hours in) that I made actual progress - after that progress was very rapid and I delivered 3 1/2 hours later.

i had the same problem with cytotec, and even after several hours on pitocin i hadn't made any progress which is when my MW inserted the foley bulb (took me to 4cm, where I stalled for 4hours) and then i went to 6cm in just a few hours and then stalled at 6cm for 9 hours!

i think your cervix has be really favorable for induction for prostaglandins to help much (no backing, just my opinion)...and cytotec is sooo dangerous (i had it as well)...it's scary to think about what could've happened

how often did they check your cervix before you were in labor? once, at my 11w appt. I had cramping and bleeding

how many times during active labor was your cervix checked? im not sure, more than I planned on (i requested it a lott because I was stalled out for so long)..probably a dozen times in 30 hours?

did you ever told you were failing to progress? If so, what amount of time were you given before that happened? surprisingly, I was never diagnosed as FTP even though I stalled at 4cm for 4 hours and 6cm for 9 hours

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
April 16th, 2010, 01:25 PM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
how often did they check your cervix before you were in labor? #1 - twice I think, #2 - 3/4 times, they knew I was starting to freak out and were trying to help me get things rolling

how many times during active labor was your cervix checked? #1 - never made it to active labor, #2 - maybe 4 times. my MW always checked me during contractions, I hated every second of it!!! I am glad she only checked me 4 times anymore and I probably would have kicked her in the face.

did you ever told you were failing to progress? If so, what amount of time were you given before that happened? n/a

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**
Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 3/1/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

April 16th, 2010, 01:26 PM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicaChels View Post
i think your cervix has be really favorable for induction for prostaglandins to help much (no backing, just my opinion)...and cytotec is sooo dangerous (i had it as well)...it's scary to think about what could've happened
I agree...they thought my situation was favorable when we started - I was 2cm dilated and 80% effaced...but the cytotec did nothing other than give me terrifyingly hard/strong/long contractions and I think I got 3 or 4 doses of it over that 12 hour period. I would (reluctantly) do induction again if it was deemed necessary but I will never agree to cytotec again...I'm not as familiar with cervadil, but honestly would prefer not to use a cervical ripening agent again my experience with it was that bad.

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
April 16th, 2010, 01:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
how often did they check your cervix before you were in labor? I only remember 3 times with each of them

how many times during active labor was your cervix checked? Not sure but I know it was often

did you ever told you were failing to progress? If so, what amount of time were you given before that happened? I was never told I was failing to progress.

Many Many Thanks to GraysMama (Chelsea) for my AMAZING Siggy!!!

April 16th, 2010, 05:07 PM
Platinum Supermommy
how often did they check your cervix before you were in labor? Never

I let them check 4 times and refused 3 other checks....

did you ever told you were failing to progress? If so, what amount of time were you given before that happened?
I am only assuming since they never used those words but I was told for the 4x I was going to need a c-section and kept refusing it... I wasn't even 24hrs into my water breaking and they wanted to section me... I was dilating just fine until my MW went off shift and the ***** OB I disliked took over my care, after that I didn't dilate another cm... I was told I had "premature rupture of the membranes"
April 16th, 2010, 07:42 PM
Platinum Supermommy
With my son I think it was twice. With my daughter something like 3-4 times?

I don't remember with my son. With my daughter I was checked when I arrived and about an hour before she was born.

Nope, not with either birth.
April 16th, 2010, 08:23 PM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
3 times. 36 weeks, 37 weeks, and 38 weeks. I asked for it because I wanted to know if anything was going on. Oh, and two other times when they made me go to L&D because I started bleeding.

Once upon arrival, once about an hour after they broke my water, once after they upped the pitocin, and two other times til I had him. It totally did not bother me at all, and I really never understood why so many women say how painful it is. What was painful though was the times they told me to go to L&D to check on the bleeding...they had to use the speculum for that to see if they could see what caused the bleeding. That didn't hurt, but it definitely was more uncomfortable than usual.

Nope.

April 19th, 2010, 09:18 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
I was checked weekly for like 4 weeks before Courtney, like 2 or 3 weeks before LJ and I think before Rock it was like 4 weeks before, maybe 3 though. I was also checked randomly with both boys due to other things. In labor with Courtney just twice, cuz I was 8cm when I got there. And then with Rock Idk, a few times, and with LJ several times, they didn't mention I was failing to progress, but they did say that I hadn't progressed in a while and they needed to try a different position, that made it happen too, lol.

April 23rd, 2010, 07:06 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Too many to count. I was suffering from preterm labor, so I had cervical length checks via ultrasound and my OB checked my cervix at my weekly appts beginning at 27 weeks up to 37. Anc then a couple times during my preterm labor admissions to see if I was closed and long enough to be discharged home.

Ummm, let me count...once when I arrived (3cm), then 3 hours later (5cm), then 3 hours later (8cm) and then 20-25 minutes later when I was feeling an incredible urge to push and they found out that I was complete. So 4 times. If you count the check I had after my first baby came out and the doc wanted to make sure my cervix didn't close up before I starting pushing with the second baby, then five!

I was never told that.

April 23rd, 2010, 03:40 PM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
Before labor, I was checked at 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 & 41 weeks. My midwives normally only check at 40 and 41 (if necessary), but I just HAD to know.

During labor, I was checked upon admission (1) when they inserted the cervadil and then again the next morning when they removed the cervadil (2) after several hours on the pitocin (3) and then 3 times after the hyperstimulation started (4-6) and then one last time before taking me to the OR (7).

She never used those words, but it was pretty obvious that dilating at an approximate rate of 1cm per 12 hours of labor wasn't good. But no timelines were ever mentioned. the c/s was for fetal distress - not FTP.

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search