Hospital Tours?

Forum: Labor and Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Labor and Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 7th, 2010, 08:42 AM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Did you take one?

Did you change your mind on the hospital you would deliver at:

What was the main reason you selected your hospital?

What do you like/dislike about the hospital:

if you are expecting and haven't taken a tour, here is an article you might find helpful
What To Expect When You Get to the Hospital

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
May 7th, 2010, 09:34 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Did you take one? No, but I did a lot of research about the hospital and their Maternity Unit

Did you change your mind on the hospital you would deliver at: No.. I love our hospital. It's not the closest hospital to us, but it's the only one we considered.

What was the main reason you selected your hospital? When I checked into what the Maternity Unit was like, I really liked the layout. You labor and deliver all in the same room, then walk through the doors right down the hall and you're in the post partum section. The NICU is right around the corner from the post partum section just in case your baby is there. EVERYTHING is on one floor and easy to get to. PLUS baby rooms in.. no nursery at all AND baby and Mama/Daddy interaction comes before anything. Even in the NICU they only bothered you when absolutely necessary and their tests and things that weren't 100% necessary at the time took a backseat to the time you spent with your baby.

What do you like/dislike about the hospital: I really liked that the hospital was pro Mom/Dad/Baby bonding.. they only came in and bothered you when absolutely necessary.

Many Many Thanks to GraysMama (Chelsea) for my AMAZING Siggy!!!

May 7th, 2010, 09:47 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Did you take one?
When I was pregnant with my first I did. There were two hospitals that my clinic had privileges at.

I made up my mind from the tour. Even though the one we didn't go with had better word-of-mouth from friends and had nicer rooms, etc, the tour solidified that I didn't want to go there.

For one they said during the tour to call ahead because sometimes they're out of beds and have to send you to one of their other branches. I know that I don't want to have to worry about finding a hospital I've never been to when I'm in labor. The other big reason was that their NICU was under construction. They seriously had their sickest babies in a construction zone! There were bassinets next to a sheet of plastic hanging from the ceiling. I thought that was awful!

It was more that I didn't want the other hospital.

The hospital we did go with had a way nicer NICU (even if you ignored the construction that the other one had). Each baby gets a private room and the rooms are kept dim because its better for young babies. My son didn't need the NICU, but my daughter did. And if I hadn't gone with the hospital with the better NICU the first time around, I wouldn't have gone with it the second time either. I was discharged before my daughter was and I was able to stay in her room with her. I think being able to stay with her and nurse her on demand helped her be released earlier than she might have otherwise. They even had a bed/couch thing for me to sleep on and I could pull a curtain around it for privacy (so anyone in the room to check on my baby's vitals wouldn't see me drooling on my pillow asleep. ).
May 8th, 2010, 06:40 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
Did you take one? In pregnancy 1, 3 and 4, yes.

Did you change your mind on the hospital you would deliver at: In pregnancy 3 and 4, yes.

What was the main reason you selected your hospital? This time, cuz it had private rooms and the others had only a couple which you'd get randomly, though I'm unhappy and considering changing again...though it seems crazy at this point...and Idk if I can really do that...

What do you like/dislike about the hospital: Right now the hospital I've chosen has some crazy payment policies that are super stressing me out.

May 11th, 2010, 06:19 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Did you take one? I did even though I knew I wouldn't go anywhere else

Did you change your mind on the hospital you would deliver at: no, if I wanted my midwife I had no other options

What was the main reason you selected your hospital? midwives in practice (another hospital has some super medwives)...lowest c-section rate (with the midwives, and many of the OBGYNS have verry low (less than 15%) c-section rates. my midwife has a c-section rate of 2.5% as of the latest updates (about a month ago)..and her induction rate is less than 4%. also you automatically get a private room - you labor and deliver all in the same place, and if they're not overly busy you stay in the same room for recovery. they also are taking the steps toward becoming "baby friendly" which i think is awesome

What do you like/dislike about the hospital: i only dislike the labor tubs - they are just like a normal tub but a bit deeper. you can have a water birth in it, though, which is cool.
i like that they don't require even a heplock, they offer alternative treatment for gbs other than iv, you can video tape the labor/delivery, low c-section rate, room in policy, well trained staff as far as breastfeeding and very natural child birth friendly. i also recently found out a new doctor joined practice with my midwife who will deliver breech babes

if you are expecting and haven't taken a tour, here is an article you might find helpful
What To Expect When You Get to the Hospital[/QUOTE]

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
May 11th, 2010, 10:21 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Did you take one?
Nope, I have a professional relationship with the hospital I choose and was well familiar with their L&D floor...

Ha... I had it planned in my mind that my labor and delivery would be a fast one and I wouldn't have needed to go to the hospital for it... but that didn't happen...

Its the main hospital in the county with an excellent state of the art L&D floor, with the states regional''s only NICU, was only about 10-15min drive from me, and my MW/OB practices with this hospital...

I couldn't have asked for any better of nurses, I could have had a little more dedicated MW and not MEDwife, and a less of an ***** OB...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search