Breech?

Forum: Labor and Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Labor and Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 8th, 2010, 07:04 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
My baby is breech right now...I'm 34 weeks...anybody have words of comfort making me believe she'll turn?

May 8th, 2010, 09:55 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Brylie turned at 35w!

check out spinningbabies.com

also, sit on the floor as much as possible in the "indian style" position...that will encourage her to be head down

my cousin got her baby to turn by laying in a warm tub and then putting ice on her son's head, he moved away from the ice, thus he flipped head down it could work!

sometimes babies have also be known to follow vibrations, so if you have any..ahem...martial aids that might help, or just a cell phone might work

definitely check out spinningbabies.com though!!! and if anything else. start looking for a provider in your area who will deliver breech babes!! sometimes babes dont turn til momma is in labor too, they know what to do generally!

KUP sweets!!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
May 9th, 2010, 11:20 AM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
FInd a Webster trained chiropractor!!!!! I have had 3 breech babies, the first one resulting in a c-section, the other two resulting in a successful external version. My fourth baby turned on her own after seeing a Webster trained chiropractor.

I also used the techniques on this page:
Turning A Breech Baby: Here are 17 Ways to turn a breech baby!

About Webster (you can find a doctor on this page too):
About the Webster Technique

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
May 9th, 2010, 11:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I recommend spinningbabies.com as well!
May 10th, 2010, 06:25 AM
oh ya duh!! i dont even know why I ddin't say chiropractor or acupuncture! i had both of those done to encourage her!!

I feel like the chiro did more than the acu in that situation, but maybe it was just luck of the draw!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
May 10th, 2010, 01:20 PM
You can also try homeopathic pulsatilla. I took a tablet of that, did some pelvic rocking and hands and knees inversions followed by a warm bath, and when I went to sit up in teh bath, I had been lying (or is it laying) on my side, she flipped, it was a strange feeling considering how big she was

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
May 10th, 2010, 06:28 PM
@Meg - wow I have never heard of that!!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
May 10th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Someone in the local birthing community consulted her HB midwife who suggested it. I guess the pulsatilla helps the uterus relax to allow baby enough room to move around. I was scheduled for acupuncture the next day, but didn't need it.

Sail Back to Me
May 10th, 2010, 08:12 PM
thats incredible....did you find it at like a whole foods type place?

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
May 11th, 2010, 02:58 AM
I bought it at Wegman's.

Sail Back to Me
May 11th, 2010, 07:51 AM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
I know 2 women out of 5 preggos in the last 12 months (IRL) that had breech babies at 35 weeks. Both went in for external versions and both delivered a vertex vaginal baby. Good luck!

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
May 11th, 2010, 11:48 AM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy

Both of mine were breech and turned sometime between 30 and 35 weeks. Naturally, though, I didn't really encourage them. I almost think they start to get uncomfortable in that position as they get bigger, but then if they get too big they can't flip.

Married to my best friend for a decade.
Mom to:

Cassidy, 6.5 yrs. Born 10/23/07, 7 pounds 10 ounces, 20 in.

Joel, 4.75 yrs. Born 6/23/09, 9 pounds 12 ounces, 21 in.

Timothy, 2 yrs. Born 3/20/12, 9 pounds 4 ounces, 22.5 in.

May 11th, 2010, 09:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicaChels View Post
Brylie turned at 35w!

check out spinningbabies.com

also, sit on the floor as much as possible in the "indian style" position...that will encourage her to be head down

my cousin got her baby to turn by laying in a warm tub and then putting ice on her son's head, he moved away from the ice, thus he flipped head down it could work!

sometimes babies have also be known to follow vibrations, so if you have any..ahem...martial aids that might help, or just a cell phone might work

definitely check out spinningbabies.com though!!! and if anything else. start looking for a provider in your area who will deliver breech babes!! sometimes babes dont turn til momma is in labor too, they know what to do generally!

KUP sweets!!
So I have a different question since you mentioned flipping at 35 weeks, did you know immediately?

May 11th, 2010, 09:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NutMeg76 View Post
FInd a Webster trained chiropractor!!!!! I have had 3 breech babies, the first one resulting in a c-section, the other two resulting in a successful external version. My fourth baby turned on her own after seeing a Webster trained chiropractor.

I also used the techniques on this page:
Turning A Breech Baby: Here are 17 Ways to turn a breech baby!

About Webster (you can find a doctor on this page too):
About the Webster Technique
I can't afford a chiropractor right now
I also BTW can't afford a c-section, so that's another reason this is super important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoaMomma! View Post
I know 2 women out of 5 preggos in the last 12 months (IRL) that had breech babies at 35 weeks. Both went in for external versions and both delivered a vertex vaginal baby. Good luck!
Can you define vertex for me? And do you know much about the risks of external versions? I had always heard they were fairly dangerous and then in my last pregnancy I ran into several people who had them done so I started to wonder more about them...

May 11th, 2010, 09:52 PM
i didn't know actually...my MW told me at my 36w appt...and then when I thought about it, I realized she had turned about 4 days prior to that...it was the only time in my pregnancy I was ever physically uncomfortable, because as she was turning she got her little foot stuck in my ribs (moved it right out though)

my chiropractor only charged $25.00 to get adjusted...maybe call around and get some quotes?

i would definitely look at spinningbabies, tons of great info. also, if you have access to a pool, get in and do some sommersaults (like you did as a child!)

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
May 11th, 2010, 09:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by New_England_Girl View Post

Both of mine were breech and turned sometime between 30 and 35 weeks. Naturally, though, I didn't really encourage them. I almost think they start to get uncomfortable in that position as they get bigger, but then if they get too big they can't flip.
Yeah, I'm asking myself if she has turned actually, I can't find her head anymore...but Idk, and that confuses me!

May 12th, 2010, 07:55 AM
Vertex means head down, the way baby should be

THe chiro I saw believed that everyone should have access to medical care and only charged me $10 an adjustment.

I tmight be a good idea to see if there is an ICAN chapter near you. They are veyr good at helping women avaid a c-section, and may even know a doctor that is willing to do a vaginal breech delivery. I know people are afraid of this, but it is NOT as dangerous as dcotors like us to believe if you have a skilled provider doing the delivery.

The same is true for an external version. They are not any more dangerous than getting an amniocentisis. Yes, it is fairly uncomfortable, but a few mintues of pain to avoid a c-section is WELL worth it to me.

If my next baby is breech at term, which is a possibility considering my history I will do a vaginal breech delivery.

This is obviously not a US recommendation, but it should be:
June 17, 2009 | No more automatic C-section for breech births, says Ob/Gyn Society | Media Advisories | Media Centre | SOGC

C-section not best option for breech birth - The Globe and Mail

A few things to keep in mind. A casearean for breech does not ensure that the baby will be born without complications. There is still a risk of head entrapment because the uterus contracts after the delivery of hte body. Also, the way that the doctor will have to pull on the baby's head can cause a brachial plxus injury, which is the nerves that go under the arm. This injury can cause temporary or permanent paralysis. Also, some baby's turn DURING labor. Size does NOT matter. Yes, a big baby will be more difficult to turn, but it is not impossible. My son was 9 lb 14 oz when he was born at 40 weeks. They did the external version at 37.5 weeks, so at the time of the version is was already about 9 lbs! I personally would not schedule a c-section just for breech presentation. I would wait for labor to start naturally, and then make the decision upon arrival to the hospital. If baby turns, eveything is go, if there is a provider that is skilled in breech delivery...go for it, if not then opt for the surgery. Being expectant lets you know you did everythign you could to give your baby the best birth possible.

Sail Back to Me
May 12th, 2010, 10:21 AM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
As far as risks go, the primary risk to a version is accidental rupture of the membranes. At 36 weeks (lots do it at 35, but I would hold off as long as they will let you to give the baby a chance to turn on his/her own and to get max fetal lung maturity in case of a ROM), your baby has EXCELLENT survival rates if born prematurely. He/she may spend some time in the NICU (or may not!), but it's not likely to cause permanent damage. And my mom (an OB) swears that ROM only happens when the provider doing your version doesn't know what he/she is doing. She says a skilled provider will know that it's better to stop and try again another day than to try and force a baby that is actively resisting. According to her it's the struggle between OB and baby that causes your water to break - not the act of turning the baby. I wouldn't think twice before doing a version. The risks of a planned c/s are considerably more significant IMO.

I would NOT allow a provider to deliver my breech baby vaginally if he/she has not been trained and had practice in doing so. But as long as the provider does breech deliveries on a regular basis, the risks are extremely overblown. In the vast majority of cases, the worst thing that will happen is you end up with a c/s bc dilation doesn't occur (not common btw in someone who has previous vaginal deliveries like you do). The horror stories about babies getting hung and dying are rare when the provider know how to deliver the baby safely. So it's not simply a matter (IMO - many will disagree) of finding someone who WILL do it, but also you want to find someone who HAS done it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJD3Tdance View Post
Yeah, I'm asking myself if she has turned actually, I can't find her head anymore...but Idk, and that confuses me!
I actually had the best luck determining my dd's position by looking for her feet. When her kicks were middle to high up on my stomach, she was vertex. One week I felt kicks really low like she was using my cervix for a trampoline. Sure enough that CNM appt she was breech. But she flipped back on her own a week later.

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
May 12th, 2010, 12:03 PM
spinningbabies has a great baby mapping chart on their site too

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
May 12th, 2010, 06:04 PM
edgeofelise's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My baby was breech at 35 weeks, and I was freaking out about it. I did the breech tilt position using a wood plank propped against the couch. I tried using an ice pack on my upper abdomen and a heating pad below to encourage her to move away from the cold (this trick really got her moving, but she didn't turn.) I did tons of rocking on hands and knees, we used a flashlight and DF's voice to try to coax her down, and I tried visualizations as well. I made an appointment for acupuncture and moxibustion, but when I went in to have it done, she had already turned on her own. I didn't feel any huge movements, but the acupuncturist (who is also a licensed midwife) said a lot of babies turn when you're rolling over in your sleep.

Try not to stress about it too much. Do you have a lot of fluid left for baby to move around in? My fluid levels were on the high end of normal, 19, which is why she was able to flip back and forth. Hope everything turns out alright--you still have LOTS of options and plenty of time!

Eliza Rose, born 6/9/10
...and getting a little brother for her birthday! Baby Henry Wilder, due 6/7/13

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search