How long did you labor?

Forum: Labor and Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Labor and Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 18th, 2010, 10:49 AM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
Quote:
Originally Posted by **jessie** View Post
There were several reasons my labor was that long.
Well I for one would love to hear them! That's a lot of active labor and I'm just impressed as all heck

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
May 18th, 2010, 10:55 AM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by becky_mommyof4 View Post
New Englan -- What stae are you from i am also in New England NH to be exact lol
I am in NH also, Conway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by **jessie** View Post
1st: 12 hrs of early labor, followed by 29 hrs hard active labor. Approximately 20 minutes of pushing. There were several reasons my labor was that long.
Share, please! That's a really long time! Like Danielle, I am very impressed!

Sara's beautiful children: Cassidy (5y) and Joel (3y 4m) and Timothy (almost 8 months)
Yes, I know I need a new picture .

May 18th, 2010, 11:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Sure, I don't mind sharing! I tend to be lengthy with my posts, so I am always trying to restrain myself and not share TMI

After I got to the 5-1-1 stage, we went to the hospital. We were warned we needed to go earlier than later because of the pre-term baby. Even though they were extremely painful (had to stop and use breathing techniques, was crying (lol) and had contractions 3-4 minutes apart), a young resident doctor said I was not in labor because there was no cervical changes... I was still at 1 cm.

She told me I was feeling the baby's head drop and I could be like that for hours, days or weeks. While this was my first l&d experience, I knew this was total BS. She went ahead and administered Clenbuterol and Buscopan, both of which are smooth muscle relaxers, because she said it would calm them down and help me sleep.

Well, I was in labor and those drugs will not stop a labor that is progressing... but what they do do is slow down the body's process in a very extreme way.

The other factor was that even after such a prolonged labor, the hospital has a policy that they will not artificially rupture membranes to help speed things along. While normally I am not in line with doing things to 'hurry up' labor, I feel that after such a long time it was necessary. I even offered to do it myself if they would leave me alone with the hook, lol! They ended up having to do it anyway at 10 cm.

So yea, tocolytic drugs are not your friend when you are trying to give birth!
(PS. I hate sounding bitter because overall I had awesome care. This is just one thing that really bothers me)
7 lbs 6 oz, 21 inches
May 19th, 2010, 06:53 PM
Erinmarie83's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How long did you labor:
With your 1st child? With my first my water broke and I didnt feel any contractions till several hours afterwards. So time from water breaking to birth was 12 hours about 45 minutes of pushing.

2nd child? Contractions started at 7am, she was born at 4:11pm, so about 9 hours with only about 30 minutes of pushing.

Thanks to HeatherW for my gorgeous siggy

Check out my handmade bows on Etsy!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Erinmarie83

May 21st, 2010, 07:18 AM
i:heart:you's Avatar Super Moderator
27 hrs of labor from start to finish on pitocin, pushed for 3 hrs.

**Thank you Bokkechick for my awesome siggy**
May 29th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Cheet_oh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
17 hrs with my first (back labor, 1hr 45 min pushing)

9 hours with my second (back labor, 30 min pushing)

14 hrs with my third (back labor, 1 hr pushing)

6hrs 15 min with Ava (no back labor 4 pushes)

(Angela - 37) (Doug - 32)

(Steven - 20) (Sebastian - 18) (Mina - 13) (Ava - 4) (Aria - 1)

June 3rd, 2010, 03:20 PM
1st child-

18 hours (a lot of back labor) and she was face-up instead of face-down. She wouldn't turn or fit through that way, so I finally had a c-section.
June 3rd, 2010, 04:01 PM
Orangebrittainy's Avatar Queen of Randomocity
9 hours with first

Thank you *Kiliki* for once again doing such amazing work on a siggie
I can do all things through Christ which Strengtheneth me. (Phil 4:13)

June 3rd, 2010, 09:08 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
im amazed at all of you mommas who pushed for hours...i cant even wrap my mind around that!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
June 6th, 2010, 07:41 AM
babi_lovin11's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to babi_lovin11
With My 1st, Im not really sure when labor began, I guess I would say when they checked me and I was 3 cm so I guess total hours of labor would have been around 33 hours. Most all of that I slept threw. 3 hours of active labor, 38 mins of pushing.

With my 2nd. Total labor was 6 hours, 3 or 4 of that was active labor. 2 mins of pushing.

My Dr has told me that with my next if I happen to go into labor on my own that I have to get to a hospital ASAP because my babies come FAST, the nurse checked me I was 7cm, I stood up to go pee, walked to the bathroom, went pee and when I stood up she was crowning. I went from 7-10 in 3-5 mins.

Olivia descended so fast that when she was born she had a bruise across her cheeks and on her forehead and was really swollen. Still perfect though
June 23rd, 2010, 11:31 PM
Veteran
1.child - I was induced ,16 hours labor then c/s
Felix was born 01/01/2013
EDD: 09/12/2014

June 24th, 2010, 05:56 AM
becky_mommyof4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
3 hours

June 24th, 2010, 10:14 AM
krissy1989's Avatar is loving her two boys!
Popping in from April 2010 Playroom.

I was in labor for 3 days. The second day I opted for pitocin to help speed things along because I wanted the pain to end as quickly as possible. It was sooo long and awful, and halfway through the second day I finally opted for the epidural because I couldn't take it anymore. I was just really slowly dilating, and I stalled at 4 cm. After I got the epi, though, I dilated to a 10 in five hours (which is fast considering that I only got to 4 cm after hours and hours of painful contractions) since I was able to relax. I only had to push for about 15 minutes and he was out.

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!
June 24th, 2010, 11:43 PM
4wildflowers's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to 4wildflowers
#1 - 30 hours of back labor, followed by a c-section.
#'s 2-4 were repeat sections, so no labors.

My kids.....
Jake 13
Shane 9
Brynne 6
Claire 4

December 9th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Veteran
23 hours

December 11th, 2010, 09:17 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
#1 - 27 hours

#2 - 24 hours 50 minutes
January 22nd, 2011, 02:04 AM
Lady Jess's Avatar Tokyo gal
3 hours? I have only 1 baby.

i was 4 cm dialated for 2weeks or so..., apparently you are in active labor at that stage? and 10cm is when you are ready to push... well nothing happened for those 2 weeks and they wouldnt keep me in the hospital to break my water... i was just stuck like a open hole... i tried everything to make my water break. lol.

finally i was really tired of being pregnant so i went there and told them you better break my water right now!!! and they were like, 'we dont want to do so before 39 weeks.' and i said, ''Well you can do it now or i will come back 3 days later...''

So they broke my water. ((apparently it was leaking before though, and somehow stopped, the baby head was acting as a cork and low fluid was there, maybe thats why i was stuck at 4cm for weeks...they said it was good thing I came in because low fluid is dangerous. ))

and they gave me penicin (maybe) induction meds? something that makes contractions really intense. and so had to get the epidural too because the contraction pain was unbearable. Then I slept. And 1 hour later, they woke me up cuz the baby was ready to be born. that took about 3-5 minutes, then I slept again. So all and all, from the time of the water breaking, sleeping, and birth, took 3 hours. thanks goodness it wasnt 14 or 15 hours... sometimes a full 24 hours of labor for some people... and I didnt feel anything much except the little ring of fire during birth... and after the birth though, it was kinda painful to walk. lol.
February 12th, 2011, 03:49 PM
sharita's Avatar Veteran
6 hours with first (induction)
3 hours with 2nd (induction)
4 hours with 3rd
6 hours with 4th
36 hours after water broke had first contraction with 5th, labored 2 hours after that.
February 19th, 2011, 03:19 AM
Londons Butterfly's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Londons Butterfly Send a message via Yahoo to Londons Butterfly
1st - not sure how long I was in labor but from the time that I signed in at the hospital to the time that she was born was about 2 hours, not sure how long for pushing but I know it wasn't more than an hour.

2nd - from the time that my water partially broke, through the pitocin and up until I had him was about 9 hours, also less than an hour pushing.

3rd - my water broke at 11pm the night before, I didn't go into the clinic until 8am the next morning waiting for contractions that never came, put on pitocin once again. 6 hours from when I got to the hospital, 15 hours from when my water broke, 20 minutes of pushing.

My first birth is the only one where I experienced my own contractions, my last two they had to put me on pitocin to start contractions since my waters had broken. I really hope the next one I have I can get my own contractions, I don't want to do the pitocin thing again because I'd love to do an epidural free birth without pitocin.

Scarlett Diane

February 19th, 2011, 06:28 PM
ashjuan123's Avatar Super Mommy
1st child-20 hours with 2 1/2 hours of pushing plus the vaccum to help
2nd child- 2 hours with 2 minutes of pushing
3rd hopefully it is like my 2nd!!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search