Epidural mommas!

Forum: Labor and Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Labor and Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 11th, 2010, 06:15 AM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Did you always plan on getting an epi or was it a last-minute decision?

How dilated were you when you got your epi?

How soon did you start feeling relief?

How was your experience overall? Pros? Cons?

(This is not an anti-epidural thread! No debates please! I simply would like to include moms that have used epidurals in our largely natural population here!)

Sara's beautiful children: Cassidy (5y) and Joel (3y 4m) and Timothy (almost 8 months)
Yes, I know I need a new picture .

May 11th, 2010, 06:34 AM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
I did not plan for one. I did all the NCB prep. But I wasn't really given much of a choice. My midwife said they had to get my hyperstimulation under control and gave me a choice of an epidural or a c-section with general. But by then I was so incredibly wrecked by the intense contrx that I didn't protest much. I just cried.

How dilated were you when you got your epi? 2 cm

How soon did you start feeling relief? an hour later

How was your experience overall? Pros? Cons? I am not a fair indicator. Waiting for my epi to work (and they had no idea why it didn't for a long time) was dreadfully painful bc I couldn't move around to deal with my hyperstimulated contrx. When it did, I was basically unconscious from exhaustion for a little while. And then I was rushed into the OR for an ER C/S bc my dd didn't respond well the the pitocin & epi combo. So I never got a chance to labor with a nice effective epidural.

I have already told my husband that with my next pregnancy I will not be laboring for 17 hours of agony with NO dilation. After several hours if nothing happens, I'm going straight for the epi in an effort to be alert and not destroyed physically when my new baby arrives.

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
May 11th, 2010, 07:47 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Did you always plan on getting an epi or was it a last-minute decision? ALWAYS planned on it.. wish I could get one just to get through the pregnancy

How dilated were you when you got your epi? I have no idea.. I don't remember.. all I know is I was in a LOT of pain
How soon did you start feeling relief? Within 20 minutes or so

How was your experience overall? Pros? Cons? With my first the epidural was good until we were about an hour away from delivery.. then it wore off. With my other 2, I have no complaints at all about the epidural!!

Many Many Thanks to GraysMama (Chelsea) for my AMAZING Siggy!!!

May 11th, 2010, 07:56 AM
~Allison~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I planned on having one from the very beginning! The second I found out I was pregnant, I knew I'd be getting one.

I was probably 4-5.

Immediately!

Amazing. The anesthesiologist was awesome and explained everything she was doing as she was doing it. I didn't feel any pain while getting it, not even the pinch they say you'll feel when the needle goes in. I got immediate pain relief, and wasn't able to feel anything for the rest of my labor, or during delivery. The epidural wore off 30-45 minutes after delivery, and I haven't had any pain since.

May 11th, 2010, 11:18 AM
silverlife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
With my son, I didn't have strong feeling either way. I said I'd get it if I needed it. With my daughter, I wasn't against it, but decided I didn't need it.

After 5 hours of my water being broken, I wasn't having regular contractions and was about 1cm. I agree to pitocin, but only if I could have an epidural. So I got it before my pitocin and at 1cm. The horror stories I've heard of pitocin contractions made me not even want to try them.

N/A, because there was nothing for me to get relief from when I got it! It was working before the pitocin was administered.

I didn't have any issues with the epidural. I did stall at 9cm for 5 hours with my son, but I think it was because of his position. He was posterior and I know the contractions were rotating him into place because the external monitor kept loosing his heartbeat, but they put an internal one in place and he was doing just fine. I think my body was just getting him into place before it would be time to push--I don't think it had anything to do with the epidural.

I like that I didn't have to feel the pitocin contractions and I like that I got to sleep (it was midnight when I got the epidural).
May 11th, 2010, 11:43 AM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Great replies everyone! Keep them coming!

I don't know much about epidurals except the horror stories that I've heard, so it's great to hear some positive experiences too! Of course, don't think you can't post a horror story if that was your experience. They seem to work differently for everyone.

Sara's beautiful children: Cassidy (5y) and Joel (3y 4m) and Timothy (almost 8 months)
Yes, I know I need a new picture .

May 11th, 2010, 03:24 PM
*Dayna*'s Avatar Aussie Mama
Did you always plan on getting an epi or was it a last-minute decision? I had sort of planned for it, but left it as, 'we'll see'.

How dilated were you when you got your epi? 3cm with my son after they broke my water and I wanted to die, and 5cm with pitocin with my daughter.

How soon did you start feeling relief? Pretty soon

How was your experience overall? Pros? Cons? My daughters epi was amazing, didn't feel anything. With my 1st birth, my sons epi was awful. It didn't work on my back and I had severe back labour. Another con is my back still hurts where I got my epi.
May 11th, 2010, 06:01 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Like Sara, I like hearing positive feedback on epidurals! I am deathly afraid of them, so it's nice to know if I ever need one it's probably not anything like I imagine!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
May 11th, 2010, 10:11 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
Did you always plan on getting an epi or was it a last-minute decision? I planned on it with baby number 2 for sure, with baby number 1 I was repeatedly back and forth.

How dilated were you when you got your epi? I was at 9cm with baby number 1, I know somebody is probably thinking I'm lieing, cuz their hospital doesn't do it, but I'm dead serious. And with baby number 2 when they got it to work 7cm, but they had tried at like 4cm, I sent them away cuz I hate them...may a pox be upon them

How soon did you start feeling relief? Quite quickly with baby 1, never really with 2, it made it worse and then it just made me totally numb and unhappy

How was your experience overall? Pros? Cons? With baby 1 I wouldn't change a thing, it was awesome. With baby 2, it was awful, and I'd never do it again. Hence why you don't see me mentioning baby number 3 in this conversation...

May 11th, 2010, 10:16 PM
Platinum Supermommy
A very last minute decision to get it, I didn't even sign the anesthia consent form when I was being triaged because I had no need or want for an epidural... When I was threatened for the fourth time on being sectioned and I had stalled... the nurse and I talked for an hour and I finally consented...

I was 4cm dilated, I had been 4cm for about 10hrs... and I was on Pitocin 32mU for almost 14hours...

I honestly didn't get the epidural for relief of pain... I'm a mad woman and was enjoying my pain from the Pit and contractions... I was so stressed out from my OB that I couldn't relax enough to dilate... It must have worked I dilated 6cms in well under 2 hours...

For as much as I wanted an NCB, I have nothing but praise for the epidural since it kept me out of a c-section... the pain of the epidural was nothing, I honestly didn't even feel any pain from the administration of it because I was having contractions during the adminstration of it... I did have to be turned every 20-30mins to help with dilating and moving DD on down, it sucked that I couldn't get up and walk, and I was still about to feel some of the contractions and move my right leg without problems... my left leg was dead...
May 12th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
Definitely last minute. I was very anti-epi, but the cervical gel (given TWICE as much as directed in HALF the time directed) just made those contractions hurt so bad.
About 2cm.
Pretty quickly, minus my right hip. It felt like a sledgehammer was pounding on it.
Pro-none really. I felt horrible that I got it and wished I could have it removed pretty much right away but was never given the option to turn it off. I felt like I pressured into it. I was hounded constantly by the staff to get it. Cons-lots. Lowered my bp, ds's hr kept falling to the 70's, had an unwanted episiotomy, ds didn't bf for 14 hours.

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
May 12th, 2010, 02:27 PM
L-SBB's Avatar Bb Cowgirl
Did you always plan on getting an epi or was it a last-minute decision? Definitely a last minute/in the moment decision...I had planned a med free birth, but ended up induced and eventually the polar opposite of med-free birth.

How dilated were you when you got your epi? Somewhere around 4cm

How soon did you start feeling relief? Within seconds...

How was your experience overall? Pros? Cons? Having been extremely anti-epi going in, I'm surprised to say that I can't think of many cons...experience overall was positive. It was very effective pain relief, it didn't interfere with pushing at all. I did have a lot of back pain post labor, but not connected to the epi (an undiagnosed injury to lower back during pregnancy).

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
May 17th, 2010, 11:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Did you always plan on getting an epi or was it a last-minute decision? I wasn't for or against it. I did want to try to go as long as possible without though.

How dilated were you when you got your epi? 8 cm. Seems silly, but it took a further 4 hrs to get to 10. Not due to the epi, my whole labor was extremely protracted.

How soon did you start feeling relief? Within 5 minutes.

How was your experience overall? Pros? Cons? Very very good. I'm a vet and could place an epi myself (not in a human, of course!), but I was still nervous. Seems everyone on JM's had an epi horror story. The local stung quite a bit but then I did not feel the catheter insertion. I was completely pain free but could still move my legs, change my own position from side to side, and feel pressure. I had no headaches, back pain or tenderness later on. The worst bit was when they removed the catheter and had to pull all that tape off my back!
7 lbs 6 oz, 21 inches
May 19th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Erinmarie83's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Did you always plan on getting an epi or was it a last-minute decision? My plan was to labor as long as I could take it. If that meant going natural, that was cool, if it meant I needed an epi, that was fine too.

How dilated were you when you got your epi? With my first I was 4 I believe, with my second I was 6-7 cm.

How soon did you start feeling relief? Almost immediately. With my second, I had to lay on my side to get it to flow to the other side but after I did that I was ready to go.

How was your experience overall? Pros? Cons? Overall experience, GREAT! There was a wonderful calm atmosphere in the room. AWith my 2nd, apparently I was the nicest woman on the floor as the nurses would often linger in my room just talking. I had some great, funny conversations with my OB and it was such a pleasant experience. Pros - no pain, able to sleep and relax, tons of energy for pushing. Like the PP I was still able to move my legs and feel the pressure so its not like I couldnt feel any of what was going on. Cons - I had no issues or complications with either of my epidurals. It wore off soon after delivery and I was up and walking around not long after.

Thanks to HeatherW for my gorgeous siggy

Check out my handmade bows on Etsy!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Erinmarie83

May 21st, 2010, 07:08 AM
i:heart:you's Avatar Super Moderator
Did you always plan on getting an epi or was it a last-minute decision? With my first I did not plan on getting one. I did not want a c-section. I had this planted in my had that most inductions with a epi lead into c-sections. I labored on pitocin for 16 hrs before deciding I need some rest so I can push this baby out, actually my nurse talked me into it. It was the best decision I ever made, since I wasn't progressing.

How dilated were you when you got your epi? about 6cm with not progression for hrs

How soon did you start feeling relief? immediately---didnt even feel the needle..

How was your experience overall? Pros? Cons? I have not cons, I got to rest until the am, and it was time to push. I felt hte contractions, and felt it everytime I needed to push. I begged the dr for more during pushing...lol..he said NO :-(. I delivered at the best hospital (MA general), They were so nice, the staff, the nurses...I am so nervous to have my baby in PA, I just don't think it will compare.

(This is not an anti-epidural thread! No debates please! I simply would like to include moms that have used epidurals in our largely natural population here!)

**Thank you Bokkechick for my awesome siggy**
May 29th, 2010, 05:47 PM
Cheet_oh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
With my first, it was a last-minute decision. The other ones were all planned

6cm with my first, 4cm with my second and third, 6cm (I think) with Ava.

Less than 15 min in.

Great!!! I psyche myself out so bad, but each time, the pain only lasts for a couple minutes and then it's sweet sweet bliss!

(Angela - 37) (Doug - 32)

(Steven - 20) (Sebastian - 18) (Mina - 13) (Ava - 4) (Aria - 1)

June 1st, 2010, 07:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Did you always plan on getting an epi or was it a last-minute decision? Before I got pregnant, I figured I would just see how things went. When I found out I was pregnant with twins, I knew I'd probably be getting one just because of the increased risks of a vaginal twin birth. With this baby, I plan on taking my first approach...just seeing how everything goes.

How dilated were you when you got your epi? 5cm

How soon did you start feeling relief? Pretty much immediately.

How was your experience overall? Pros? Cons? Pros - it was a light enough epi where I could still change positions on my own without assistance and I could still feel the urge to push. Cons - I had lingering back pain at the epi site for a year

June 6th, 2010, 07:51 AM
babi_lovin11's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to babi_lovin11
Did you always plan on getting an epi or was it a last-minute decision? I only had one with my First DD, I was young and didn't know much about it, the dr asked did I want it so I did...

How dilated were you when you got your epi? I think I was a 5 or probably even more than that.

How soon did you start feeling relief? It took the edge of the contractions, but my back labor was still there, I could move my legs. When I gave birth I felt everything.

How was your experience overall? Pros? Cons? I have nothing good to say about my experience with the epidural. I absolutely hated it. After I had Madison I had to stay in the stupid bed and wait for the meds to wear off and get that stupid catheter out of my pee pee. I swore then after I had My oldest that god willing I will never choose to have one again (unless medically necessary) I had horrible back pain in my lower back where the epi was placed. The neurologist said its probably a pinched or damaged nerve from the epi. Add that to my list of 1000s reasons why I hate the darn needle.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search