After the birth

Forum: Labor and Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Labor and Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 11th, 2010, 07:36 AM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Vaginal moms:
Did you need stitches?

How bad were your contractions as your uterus shrank?

How bad was your bleeding?

How was your first visit to the bathroom ?

Was your baby able to stay with you or did they need to go to the NICU/nursery for any reason?

How many days before you felt comfortable being up and around?

C-section moms:
Did you feel contractions as your uterus shrank?

Did you get constipated/have issues using the bathroom after your birth?

How long before your incision was healed or felt comfortable/no pain?

Once you were ready for baby to join you in recovery, were they able to stay with you or did they have to stay in the NICU/nursery for any reason?

What aspects of your recovery have I left out? Share!

Married to my best friend for a decade.
Mom to:

Cassidy, 6.5 yrs. Born 10/23/07, 7 pounds 10 ounces, 20 in.

Joel, 4.75 yrs. Born 6/23/09, 9 pounds 12 ounces, 21 in.

Timothy, 2 yrs. Born 3/20/12, 9 pounds 4 ounces, 22.5 in.

May 11th, 2010, 07:46 AM
Aeterna's Avatar Super Speshil
Quote:
Did you need stitches?
Only with my girls.

Quote:
The involution process wasn't bad at all. Didn't take anything for it.

Quote:
Normal.

Quote:
Actually wasn't bad with any of them.

Quote:
Was your baby able to stay with you or did they need to go to the NICU/nursery for any reason?
With my hospital births, they stayed with me. With my homebirth, we were only separated when I took a shower a few hours after his birth and during his newborn exam.

Quote:
I was up and around fairly soon after all of my births.

May 11th, 2010, 07:57 AM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
C-section moms:
Nope. The pain medication blocked out anything when it was working. And when it was wearing off, I just felt pain. But I couldn't distinguish between contrx and post-op pain.

Pretty bad initially. But after the first 2 weeks, it tapered off to more reasonable levels and was finished by about 5 weeks pp.

No - not at all. TMI Alert! Wiping was intensely painful bc I had such a hard time twisting at the waist. So I was afraid to go and really didn't want to. But the medicine they put me on made that unavoidable.

Um. I could walk comfortably by about 6 weeks pp. And I think maybe by about 4 months I was able to stop wearing a support band (I felt like my insides were falling out without it and that sensation pulled on my internal incision and hurt).

Once you were ready for baby to join you in recovery, were they able to stay with you or did they have to stay in the NICU/nursery for any reason? She had to go to the nursery after my DH left for the evening. I wasn't allowed (or able frankly) to be solely responsible for her without anyone else there. I couldn't get out of the bed or lift her, change diapers, etc. So it was critical to have someone else there. By the fourth and final day in the hospital, they let me have her alone to make sure I could be discharged.

She was almost admitted to the NICU for severe jaundice the day after she was born, but my pediatrician intervened and had them bring bili-lights and a NICU nurse to my room so she could be with me. She and my midwife were concerned about my inability to bond with the baby and thought being physically separated was about the worst possible thing that could happen. I'm really grateful to them for that.

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
May 11th, 2010, 08:11 AM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Vaginal moms:
Did you need stitches? I had an internal tear - no idea how many stitches

How bad were your contractions as your uterus shrank? not so bad - noticable

How bad was your bleeding? heavy for a few days, then lighter, then it faked me out and went away, only to start up when I was not at home and not wearing a pad - lesson learned

How was your first visit to the bathroom ? took away to pee, but not bad

Was your baby able to stay with you or did they need to go to the NICU/nursery for any reason? he went to the nursery because he had a slight arrhythmia, but it was gone the next day.

How many days before you felt comfortable being up and around? haha right away!

C-section moms:
Did you feel contractions as your uterus shrank? yes, but they weren't intollerable

How bad was your bleeding? heavy for a few days, then got lighter, not so bad...

Did you get constipated/have issues using the bathroom after your birth? OMG! I as so constipated. I didn't have a BM until 8 days after his birth. It was awful!

How long before your incision was healed or felt comfortable/no pain? probably about 3 months before I felt no pain. Although it is still numb in places

Once you were ready for baby to join you in recovery, were they able to stay with you or did they have to stay in the NICU/nursery for any reason? While he was in the nursery they herd a heart murmur, but he was able to stay with me. He had hear surgery 15 months to fix the issue.

What aspects of your recovery have I left out? Share! it is near impossible to walk upright for days afterwards. I had to change the baby sitting down because I couldn't stand at the changing table. Just making dinner would wind me, I had to sit and take a break quite often.

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**
Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 3/1/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

May 11th, 2010, 08:40 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Vaginal moms:
Did you need stitches? Only with my 1st.. the next day my OB told me there was about 250 stitches.. not sure how that many of those fit down there

How bad were your contractions as your uterus shrank? My stomach was sore, but that was really all I felt

How bad was your bleeding? With my 1st HORRIBLE.. for the first 2 weeks I bled so so bad and then it lessened a little bit.. I bled for 2 months with my first. With the other 2 it wasn't bad at all and I only bled for about 2 weeks total.

How was your first visit to the bathroom? With my 1st it was AWFUL! I had to have 2 nurses (or 1 nurse and my dh) help me every time. I was so dizzy and in so much pain down there and behind that wiping was near impossible. With the other 2 I didn't have any trouble.

Was your baby able to stay with you or did they need to go to the NICU/nursery for any reason? Our hospital doesn't have a nursery.. baby rooms in with Mom. My 1st and 3rd stayed with me the entire time. My 2nd had to go to the NICU because of the noise he made when he breathed and because his temp dropped really low when he was upset. Found out he has something called Innominant Artery Compression, but it doesn't slow the little monster down much.

How many days before you felt comfortable being up and around? With my first it was well after my 6 week PP checkup. With the other 2 I was good to go by the time I was out of the hospital

Many Many Thanks to GraysMama (Chelsea) for my AMAZING Siggy!!!

May 11th, 2010, 09:00 AM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama to 3 Monsters View Post
Vaginal moms:
Did you need stitches? Only with my 1st.. the next day my OB told me there was about 250 stitches.. not sure how that many of those fit down there
Ooooowwwwwwiieee!!!!

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
May 11th, 2010, 09:06 AM
~Allison~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Vaginal moms:
Did you need stitches?
Yes. I had a 3rd degree tear.

They weren't bad at all. They just felt like mild period cramps.

The first few days it was very, very heavy and red. It got lighter after a few days.

How was your first visit to the bathroom?
It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. It burned a little bit, but it wasn't too bad.

He stayed with us until we asked the nurses to take him to the nursery so we could sleep.

The day after delivery. DH & I walked up and down the hall while Aaden was in the nursery getting a bath, tests, etc.

May 11th, 2010, 10:44 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Vaginal moms:
Did you need stitches? I did, but I don't know how many. I had a 2nd degree tear.

How bad were your contractions as your uterus shrank? I honestly can say that I didn't even notice them!

How bad was your bleeding? Bad enough where the pitocin they gave me to clamp my uterus down wasn't doing the job well enough, so they had to give me some cytotec...um, rectally.

How was your first visit to the bathroom? Not what I was expecting! Instead of what I was expecting, a huge clot came out! That happened the rest of the day when I thought I "had to go". I didn't have to go till the next day and it didn't hurt at all. Going #1 actually stung a bit more due to have a small urethral tear.

Was your baby able to stay with you or did they need to go to the NICU/nursery for any reason? Both babies were able to stay with me.

How many days before you felt comfortable being up and around? I felt fine within a few hours.

May 11th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessieJean View Post
How was your first visit to the bathroom? Not what I was expecting! Instead of what I was expecting, a huge clot came out! That happened the rest of the day when I thought I "had to go".
^^ That happened to me too after my first! I was like, "Um, nurse, you might wanna take a look at this...this clot is bigger than a golf ball!"

Mom to:

May 11th, 2010, 11:38 AM
Vaginal moms:
Did you need stitches?
Yes and yes. With my first, I had a ton. Very painful. And then they wouldn't dissolve like they were supposed to and I had to go have them taken out With my second, only 3 or 4 stitches, never really felt them.

How bad were your contractions as your uterus shrank? With #1, not very bad. With #2, a little worse. Felt like I had my period, honestly.

How bad was your bleeding? Heavy both times. I hemorrhaged after birth both time, and I bled pretty hard. Not so bad with Joel, being my second.

How was your first visit to the bathroom ? Surprisingly painless, actually. I remember my aunt telling me she couldn't go #2 for weeks, but I think I did the first day, and was fine. With Cassidy, I had all those stitches, and that was the worst.

Was your baby able to stay with you or did they need to go to the NICU/nursery for any reason? No, though Joel almost did because he was so big and his blood sugars were really all over the place. They had a hard time regulating him. We did send both kids to the nursery for a few hours the first night so we could get some sleep, but that was my preference, not policy.

How many days before you felt comfortable being up and around? Before I left the hospital I was fine. After Joel was born I was up sitting in the chair writing his birth story for my DDC the same day.

Mom to:

May 11th, 2010, 02:16 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Vaginal moms:
Did you need stitches? 1 stitch from my midwife ripping her out...it was questionably necessary, my midwife just wanted to be safe

How bad were your contractions as your uterus shrank? i never even felt anything

How bad was your bleeding? not bad at all, i was done bleeding at like 3w pp

How was your first visit to the bathroom ? the first one, not bad...but the one day i forgot to take my stool softener....YOWZAAAAAAA

Was your baby able to stay with you or did they need to go to the NICU/nursery for any reason? initially we thought she was going to the NICU but she never had to - she started getting better before they took her. She only went to the nursery for her hearing test because she was born on a weekend so the lady who pushes the hearing cart around wasn't working

How many days before you felt comfortable being up and around? minutes, other than the shaking. i literally had zero post partum pain though

C-section moms: n/a

Once you were ready for baby to join you in recovery, were they able to stay with you or did they have to stay in the NICU/nursery for any reason?

What aspects of your recovery have I left out? Share![/QUOTE]

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
May 11th, 2010, 04:26 PM
*Dayna*'s Avatar Aussie Mama
Vaginal moms:
Did you need stitches? Yes both times. With my son I had a 3rd degree rip/tear and she stitched me for an hour. Said I had so many stitches, she lost count. With my daughter I only had 17.

How bad were your contractions as your uterus shrank? Pretty painful!

How bad was your bleeding? Bad. Both times.

How was your first visit to the bathroom ? It was really bad with my first. I couldn't get out of bed for 8 hours and when I did get up, the amount of stitches I had made it almost impossible to walk. I was SORE.

Was your baby able to stay with you or did they need to go to the NICU/nursery for any reason? My son was taken off because he was stuck in the birth canal and was distressed.

How many days before you felt comfortable being up and around? Pretty much right away with my daughter, with my son it was days.
May 11th, 2010, 06:56 PM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
Vaginal moms:
Did you need stitches?
Yes. I had a second degree tear, but it wasn't bad. Nothing external, only a small internal one that needed a couple stitches.

I never noticed anything.

I bled a lot for the first few days, then it was just annoying lingering pink for like 7 weeks.

Right after they stitched me up I went over to the bathroom, took a piss, then rinsed off in the shower. Had no problems. I was afraid of the pain, but with the little water squirter I didn't feel any discomfort.

He stayed with me. He went to the nursery in the morning. It was supposed to be for 2 hours so I could get in a quick nap as I hadn't slept in nearly 2 days, but they hijacked him and kept him longer which I was very pissed about.

I had him at 2am Thursday morning. I got released from the hospital 9pm Friday evening. Saturday morning we went out and visited the relatives, and I'm pretty sure I went to the grocery store and stuff. I wanted to get out of there Friday morning. Other than needing a good night's sleep, nothing made me feel like I "had" to sit around and do nothing all day.

May 11th, 2010, 11:26 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Vaginal moms:
Did you need stitches?
Three

I barely noticed them...

I bled for pretty much the whole 6 weeks post partum going through a heavy flow pad every 3-4 hours....

PHENOMENAL... I had to pee sooo bad and I couldn't wait to get up walking around... i never pooed sooo much during pregnancy but after DD was born i was a pooping machine

DD roomed-in

Heck, I walked my happy little proud self out of the hospital... I walked from 3rd floor Post-partum out to the car... with my suitcase in tow and DH carrying DD..... I wanted out soooo bad.... I was in the hospital for about 36 hours
May 12th, 2010, 12:12 AM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
Did you need stitches? Yep, all 3 times.

How bad were your contractions as your uterus shrank? Eh, Idk that those were the ones that were horrible, the bf'ing ones as it shrank were, but not like right after birth

How bad was your bleeding? I was told not so bad this last time...but I wasn't one of those people who didn't bleed by any means

How was your first visit to the bathroom ? Fine

Was your baby able to stay with you or did they need to go to the NICU/nursery for any reason? with me

How many days before you felt comfortable being up and around? with Courtney like 1 or 2, with the Rock 1 I'd say, and with LJ immediatly

May 12th, 2010, 02:29 PM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
Vaginal moms:
Did you need stitches?
Only after the unwanted episiotomy with ds1. Just 2 stitches. Had a skid mark with dd.
Not bad after ds1. Hurty after dd. HORRID after ds2. Nursing of course made them worse.
Took me about 5 weeks to stop after ds1. Less than 2 weeks after dd. Had probably 2 weeks of actual bleeding after ds2, but spotted for a few more weeks.
Can't remember really, but I do know I had bathroom issues after ds1 for a few weeks, like it hurt worse than labor, it was awful. No problems after dd and ds2 though.
Ds1 was never unaccompanied by one of us. Dd and ds2 were born at home.
Took a while for my bottom to stop hurting after ds1. With dd I was good to go, but stepped to big once when she was a week old and tore the skid mark just a little, but was all better by 2 weeks. Ds2 I felt like a truck hit me the night he was born, but I was up making breakfast the next morning.

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
May 12th, 2010, 03:41 PM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
Vaginal moms:
Did you need stitches? Yes, for a 2nd degree tear

How bad were your contractions as your uterus shrank? VERY bad...for like a month...they were as painful as labor contractions and I used to cry while nursing her because it hurt so much.

How bad was your bleeding? Not nearly as bad as I expected...I'd say about 5x worse than a heavy period, but I guess I thought I'd be gushing blood or something LOL and I wasn't - and the heavy bleeding stopped within a few days, which also surprised me

How was your first visit to the bathroom ? Messy...but not that painful and nowhere near as terrible as I had been told to expect. Honestly, considering that I had just popped a freaking BABY out of me, it was amazing that I could walk easily and everything worked fine down there

Was your baby able to stay with you or did they need to go to the NICU/nursery for any reason? For the first 2 hours they needed to monitor her due to decel issue + having had stadol administered too close to her birth (they did not anticipate how quickly my labor would speed up on pitocin). After that she roomed in with me and never left me sight

How many days before you felt comfortable being up and around? I actually didn't have any issue walking (briefly) even an hour after giving birth....but walking any distance exhausted me and it was a couple of weeks before it wasn't painful to walk or stand extensively. It took a lot longer to be comfortable sitting due to the tear + stitches...in fact even now sometimes they hurt if I stretch funny...

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)

Last edited by L-SBB; May 12th, 2010 at 03:43 PM.
May 14th, 2010, 07:28 AM
Amanda_Marie's Avatar Mommy to Owen
Vaginal moms:
Did you need stitches? yes, I had a ton of them, especially because no one knew or believed me that I was in labor, so I wasn't really coached on pushing...

How bad were your contractions as your uterus shrank? they were awful, I kinda have labor brain since it was 7 months ago, but I know it was bad...I remember I was delirious

How bad was your bleeding? pretty bad, I had to change my pad(s) every hour

How was your first visit to the bathroom ? it stung but as gross as it sounds, a nurse helped me and sprayed warm water down there while I went ...which I think took the edge off

Was your baby able to stay with you or did they need to go to the NICU/nursery for any reason? no he was able to stay with us, granted I was positive for strep b and he was born without antibiotics.

How many days before you felt comfortable being up and around? ..ummm .. 2-3 days ...but it wasn't for a couple weeks until the pain subsided

Thank you Tasha_Mae for my beautiful siggy!
May 14th, 2010, 10:11 AM
*Dayna*'s Avatar Aussie Mama
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaMarie_87 View Post
Vaginal moms:
Did you need stitches? yes, I had a ton of them, especially because no one knew or believed me that I was in labor, so I wasn't really coached on pushing...

How bad were your contractions as your uterus shrank? they were awful, I kinda have labor brain since it was 7 months ago, but I know it was bad...I remember I was delirious

How bad was your bleeding? pretty bad, I had to change my pad(s) every hour

How was your first visit to the bathroom ? it stung but as gross as it sounds, a nurse helped me and sprayed warm water down there while I went ...which I think took the edge off

Was your baby able to stay with you or did they need to go to the NICU/nursery for any reason? no he was able to stay with us, granted I was positive for strep b and he was born without antibiotics.

How many days before you felt comfortable being up and around? ..ummm .. 2-3 days ...but it wasn't for a couple weeks until the pain subsided
Not gross!! I had the same thing
May 18th, 2010, 01:14 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Did you need stitches? Yes, I had an episiotomy.

How bad were your contractions as your uterus shrank? I don't remember them, so they must not have been bad.

How bad was your bleeding? Really heavy for about 3 days. I had to wear two of those huge pads at a time. Then it was like period heavy for the next 2 weeks.

How was your first visit to the bathroom ? I was scared to death! I was painful and really swollen down there and I had no clue on the logistics of doing it.

Was your baby able to stay with you or did they need to go to the NICU/nursery for any reason? He was 5 weeks premature, so he was a NICU baby for his entire 9 day stay. But it is customary for babies to stay with their mothers the whole hospital stay in normal circumstances.

How many days before you felt comfortable being up and around? I was up and around 5 hrs after the birth. It probably took 5 days for it to be comfortable though, especially sitting.
7 lbs 6 oz, 21 inches

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search