Pain

Forum: Labor and Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Labor and Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 11th, 2010, 06:42 AM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Were you surprised by the pain during your labor?

Was it worse or better than you expected?

Can you describe what your contractions felt like?

Did you have back labor?

What methods did you use to manage pain?

Was pushing painful or a relief for you?

If you've had more than one labor:
How was your second or subsequent labors different from your first pain-wise?

Do you think you were better prepared for the pain the second time around?

Did you find yourself relaxing more?

Married to my best friend for a decade.
Mom to:

Cassidy, 6.5 yrs. Born 10/23/07, 7 pounds 10 ounces, 20 in.

Joel, 4.75 yrs. Born 6/23/09, 9 pounds 12 ounces, 21 in.

Timothy, 2 yrs. Born 3/20/12, 9 pounds 4 ounces, 22.5 in.

May 11th, 2010, 07:11 AM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
Not really. The pain of the individual contrx was about what I expected until the hyperstimulation got really bad. Then the intensity was what I expected for transition (only I was nowhere near transition).

Was it worse or better than you expected? Much much worse. I was counting on having a slow build-up, time between contrx to catch my breath, and single peaks until transition. I didn't get any of that for about 7 hours straight. My labor was exactly what I expected until that last 7 hours - and then I thought I would die from the pain.

Can you describe what your contractions felt like? When they were normal, it was like someone was squeezing my stomach really hard. Even though I have read that they start in your back, mine didn't. They started on the top of my uterus and moved down, then around to the back. It was similar to a REALLY intense menstrual cramp - except all over my stomach instead of just by my pubic bone. It was almost like when someone sits on your chest - the way you suddenly just can't speak and it takes serious effort to breathe normally.

When they entered an abnormal pattern, I felt like someone was ripping my uterus out through my skin in the front and crushing my hip bones into dust from the back. Nevermind breathing normally, I had a really hard time breathing at all. Sometimes I would scream in the beginning and end of the contrx, but in the middle my mind was screaming but there wasn't any air flow so no sound came out except little gasps like a fish out of water. At least that's the way my DH described it. I just remember screaming the whole time. I would emphasize that 6 minute contrx with 3 peaks and only 30 seconds to regroup is NOT normal and my experience should not be frightening to anyone bc I'm not aware of any scenario where that can happen to a woman without the use of pitocin or cytotec.

Did you have back labor? Oh yes. I actually labored only in my back for the first few hours. They had to ramp up the pit before I could feel the contrx in my stomach even though they registered on the monitor.

What methods did you use to manage pain? Soaking in a hot tub, yoga, listened to music, counted my breaths, visualization, and knee/hip/back compressions. All that worked great while the contrx were in a normal pattern.

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
May 11th, 2010, 07:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Were you surprised by the pain during your labor? The labor pain didn't really surprise me, but the delivery pain sure did since I had an epidural and always planned on having one but didn't plan on it wearing off before the delivery.

Was it worse or better than you expected? The labor pain was about what I expected.. I knew it was going to be painful, but I was in no way prepared for the pain that comes with a forcep delivery!!
Can you describe what your contractions felt like? You ever see a HUGE snake squeeze a rabbit? I imagine it felt something like that.. My stomach and back felt like they were being squeezed with pain during every contraction.

Did you have back labor? No

What methods did you use to manage pain? Epidural.. but it wore off before delivery with my first

Was pushing painful or a relief for you? Painful.. very very painful with my first

How was your second or subsequent labors different from your first pain-wise? My 2nd and 3rd didn't require a forceps delivery and that made a HUGE difference in the delivery pain. I had hard painful contractions with all of them

Do you think you were better prepared for the pain the second time around? I definately knew more what to expect and was a little better prepared.

Did you find yourself relaxing more? I was a little more relaxed with my 3rd than either of the other 2

Many Many Thanks to GraysMama (Chelsea) for my AMAZING Siggy!!!

May 11th, 2010, 10:52 AM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Were you surprised by the pain during your labor? I was the first time! Even after all my research, I was pretty naive, and hadn't really heard much about back labor. I sure got a first-hand education through the next 17 hours!

Was it worse or better than you expected? It was way worse with #1. I seriously thought I would die a couple of times.

Can you describe what your contractions felt like? Back labor feels like someone is twisting a knife in your lower back, and it doesn't really go away between contractions. I can't remember feeling anything in my stomach, I was so focused on my back! I had to either lay on my side, my hands and knees, or stand in the shower for the entire labor. There was no way I could lay on my back at all.

Did you have back labor? See above

What methods did you use to manage pain? Birthing ball to open my pelvis, jacuzzi tub, lots of rocking/moaning/massage. There wasn't much DH could do except stay out of the way for a few cm'ers there.

Was pushing painful or a relief for you? Very painful. And it took 3 hours. Not into that. I remember looking down at the midwife at one point and saying, "Kerrie, just get her out of me!" And she looked me right in the eye and said "Sara, YOU have to do this." So I did.

How was your second or subsequent labors different from your first pain-wise?
I had normal labor (no back labor) with Joel, and it was sooooo incredibly different. At 9 cm I was sitting in the jacuzzi tub chatting away with Jaysen, had my MIL in there for a while. Felt like a party!

Do you think you were better prepared for the pain the second time around? Absolutely. In fact, I was so well prepared for it that normal labor felt like nothing. I remember thinking when the midwife said I was 10 and ready to push, "Really? Already?" I was watching the Today Show in the background while I was pushing.

Did you find yourself relaxing more? Much more.

Married to my best friend for a decade.
Mom to:

Cassidy, 6.5 yrs. Born 10/23/07, 7 pounds 10 ounces, 20 in.

Joel, 4.75 yrs. Born 6/23/09, 9 pounds 12 ounces, 21 in.

Timothy, 2 yrs. Born 3/20/12, 9 pounds 4 ounces, 22.5 in.

May 11th, 2010, 10:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I was surprised when my water broke and I never developed a contraction, the pain being on Pit was excruciating but I love pain, and loving every minute of being on Pit but it was very exhausting...

Was it worse or better than you expected?
It was what I had expected...

Can you describe what your contractions felt like?
Just an immense pressure, and squeezing sensation, like a period cramp but much worse...

Did you have back labor?
Nope, it was all concentrated in my belly, hips, and thighs

What methods did you use to manage pain?
I was going all natural doing birthing ball, A LOT of walking, standing, swaying, dancing, squatting just being active...

Was pushing painful or a relief for you?
Yes, but it was an enjoyable pain... can you ladies tell I like pain.. lol... actually it wasn't the pushing that was painful but the crowning...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search