Any funny stories from your labor and/or hospital stay?

Forum: Labor and Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Labor and Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 12th, 2010, 03:03 PM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
So I've only shared the serious moments of my labor...the induction, meds I didn't want but ended up with, decel scares, etc....but there were a couple humorous moments now that I can look back and laugh at:

* We were a few hours into the induction, so it's probably around 2-3am, when I wake up smelling smoke. Now my whole pregnancy I had super-smell sense and I drove my husband CRAZY thinking something was on fire all the time...so I wake him up saying "i smell smoke, go get a nurse!!!" but kind of thinking it could just be crazy pregnancy nose and it's nothing...but to my surprise DH jumps up when he smells it too, so he goes out to find a nurse. So then nurses show up in my room, they smell it too (it seems to be coming from A/C vent) and they go room to room...and it's all over the delivery floor! So some alarm goes off and now I have nurses AND facilities people in my room trying to figure out where it's coming from. They go downstairs and discover one of the doctors on the floor below us left popcorn in the microwave and smoked out the floor and apparently they got in trouble b/c the microwave was illicit or something and they weren't supposed to cook anything on that floor.

* We were being discharged from hospital on Thanksgiving day...so of course it's complete chaos because everyone is trying to leave in the morning - the nurses are running around and it takes hours to eventually get all the ok's and signatures so we could leave. The last thing left is for the nursery nurse to come and take the tracking/security band off Savannah and myself....when she comes in I asked her (jokingly) "hey you remembered to turn it off right?"...and she reassures me she did. She removes the band from Savannah...and alarms go off all over the floor! LOL...guess who forgot to check her out in the system to deactivate it first? So it locks down the floor (briefly) stopping everyone else from leaving and security shows up...everything eventually gets straightened out but it was crazy to watch - although it was nice to see the security process did in fact work

So how about you...anything funny happen with your labor/birth/hospital stay or something that maybe wasn't amusing at the time but now you look back and laugh about?

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
May 12th, 2010, 04:16 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
omg re: the fire!! thats pretty funny!!! and our nurse forgot to deactivate brylie's band too! i forgot about that until you said this...all these lights started flashing and the elevators automatically lock down and stuff...so crazy!!!

for me the funniest things were:

when my contractions started to get REALLY bad, so maybe around 3PM or so, I was sitting on the toilet and Sam was being all bradley dad coach and he was like "babe, relax your face okay?" and I was like 'RELAX YOUR FACEEEEE" and i punched him in the mouth!

*when I was pushing I felt this crazy intense burning in my butt. I had heard of the ring of fire, but I always figured it was going to be in my vagina. So, after being in labor for 30 hours I finally said to my husband "there ..... is...something...Heather...has....her..." and then I yelled "HEATHER! GET YOUR FINGERS OUT OF MY #$$!!!!" and she was like laughing hysterically and she held her hands up and said "ummm, that's not me. I'm not touching you!! That's Brylie's head girl, PUSHHHHHH through that"

then i thought it was the appropriate time to ask heather if i was pooping all over her and she looked at me and said "FOR THE LOVE OF GOD SHUT UP! Lol if you poop on me, I will wipe it somewhere for you to find later..STOP TALKING AND PUSSHHHHHHHH"

post partum one of the other midwives from the group came over to visit me and sam was passseddddd out and in his sleep he let out the loudest fart and the midwife student was in there too and she was soo uncomfortable...hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
May 12th, 2010, 06:33 PM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
The only really funny thing I remember is making dh brush his teeth when I was in labor because his coffee breath was making me ill. Hadn't bothered me before that, just in labor.

He was SOOO tired that he slept on the floor next to my bed after I got the epi...but mostly because my parents rudely slept on the two couches when they should have just gone home.

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
May 13th, 2010, 12:17 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-SBB View Post
So I've only shared the serious moments of my labor...the induction, meds I didn't want but ended up with, decel scares, etc....but there were a couple humorous moments now that I can look back and laugh at:

* We were a few hours into the induction, so it's probably around 2-3am, when I wake up smelling smoke. Now my whole pregnancy I had super-smell sense and I drove my husband CRAZY thinking something was on fire all the time...so I wake him up saying "i smell smoke, go get a nurse!!!" but kind of thinking it could just be crazy pregnancy nose and it's nothing...but to my surprise DH jumps up when he smells it too, so he goes out to find a nurse. So then nurses show up in my room, they smell it too (it seems to be coming from A/C vent) and they go room to room...and it's all over the delivery floor! So some alarm goes off and now I have nurses AND facilities people in my room trying to figure out where it's coming from. They go downstairs and discover one of the doctors on the floor below us left popcorn in the microwave and smoked out the floor and apparently they got in trouble b/c the microwave was illicit or something and they weren't supposed to cook anything on that floor.

* We were being discharged from hospital on Thanksgiving day...so of course it's complete chaos because everyone is trying to leave in the morning - the nurses are running around and it takes hours to eventually get all the ok's and signatures so we could leave. The last thing left is for the nursery nurse to come and take the tracking/security band off Savannah and myself....when she comes in I asked her (jokingly) "hey you remembered to turn it off right?"...and she reassures me she did. She removes the band from Savannah...and alarms go off all over the floor! LOL...guess who forgot to check her out in the system to deactivate it first? So it locks down the floor (briefly) stopping everyone else from leaving and security shows up...everything eventually gets straightened out but it was crazy to watch - although it was nice to see the security process did in fact work

So how about you...anything funny happen with your labor/birth/hospital stay or something that maybe wasn't amusing at the time but now you look back and laugh about?
Was Savannah born on 11/25??
May 13th, 2010, 04:55 AM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
I loved my midwife. She was pretty funny. I had demanded ahead of time to be allowed to have regular infusions of coca-cola during my induction. I have a pretty intense caffeine addictions and wasn't interested in being in labor AND denied caffeine for days on end. So around dinner time my midwife came in bearing my next cup of coke and goes "I brought your dinner. Now drink it up and then I'm going to check your progress." And when I thanked her for the coke, she said "men may like to get inside a woman at the drop of a hat, but I try to at least buy them a drink first"

My DH spit the water he was drinking out his nose

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
May 13th, 2010, 05:57 AM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicBaby21 View Post
Was Savannah born on 11/25??
Nope she was born early evening on 11/24 (I was admitted for the induction at 10pm night before).

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
May 13th, 2010, 07:05 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hmmm... With Noah, I got meds through my IV that were supposed to just take the edge off so I could put off getting the epidural for a whle longer.. well they didn't take the edge off of anything.. what they did was dope me up. So about an hour after I had the meds, my OB came in with his med students and every one of them were wearing blue scrubs.. according to my OB and my DH, when I saw them all wearing blue I started crying and told my husband that it was so sweet that they all decided to wear blue just for our baby since he was going to be a boy

Also with Noah, I supposedly bit my brother on the ear. He leaned down to hug me goodbye and I had a contraction at just the right time and supposedly bit his ear.. but I think DH, my mom, my grandparents, my brother, and the nurse were all lying about that and it never happened

Again with Noah... I had been pushing for 3 hours and he kept turning back sideways despite numerous attempts of my OB to reach in and turn him (um.. OW!). I was completely exhausted and my OB finally decided that he'd talk to me about a forcep delivery.. so he starts going through his speech about how most of the risk was for me and not the baby and he listed off the risks for the baby and then started listing off the risks for me. Well mid speech, I asked him to come closer and he just stared at me and stayed where he was and kept talking.. I asked him a couple times and he didn't move so finally I grabbed the rails on the bed, pulled myself up a little and yelled at him to "JUST GET IT OUT OF ME!!!" Again.. I don't remember much about this but the next day my OB got a big kick out of informing me of my mood toward the end of the delivery and how he learned a long time ago that when a woman who'd been in labor for as long as I was asks you to come closer.. you don't move!

With both Nicky and Aly, my mom was holding one of my legs and she nearly passed out because she kept holding her breath when I did.

Many Many Thanks to GraysMama (Chelsea) for my AMAZING Siggy!!!

May 13th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-SBB View Post
Nope she was born early evening on 11/24 (I was admitted for the induction at 10pm night before).
OK I read that you discharged on thanksgiving... I just assumed you had her on the 25th... I was discharged on Thanksgiving too but at 1130pm....

Thought our girls may have had the same DOB
May 15th, 2010, 01:41 PM
gctattoo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The only funny thing I remember is peeing on the doctor. For some reason, the nurses didn't insert a catheter when I had my epidural. And since I couldn't even feel I had to pee, I had no bladder control when the doc asked me to push the first time.

So I peed all over his shirt. He jumped back, but it was too late. Then he disappeared for a few minutes. When he returned, he had on a new shirt-- and scrubs. Muahahahaha!
May 15th, 2010, 03:58 PM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
after a few hours of labor, and thinking I had to poop but couldn't the MW suggested an enema.

I begrudgingly consented. She had me lay on my side, and started to put it in. And I yelled at her that she was missing! She said I am looking at your butt hole I am not missing.

DH then said (much to my utter humiliation) I get that too.

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**
Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 3/1/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

May 18th, 2010, 12:06 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Not as funny as most of yours, but...

After an internal I was bleeding like crazy. The only way for me to work through contraction was walking, but then I looked back and saw a bloody trail. So I went and found spray cleaner and paper towels and was on my hands and knees in active labor cleaning the hospital floor! I refused to get up before it was all clean.

This is more funny weird. I had a very long labor and at one point I sent DH home to feed our pets quick so I was alone in the delivery room. I was 5 cm, sitting on the birthing ball, and the midwife comes in and says they need my room because a lady came in that was going to immanently deliver and all the other rooms were full. She told me to pack my things, put them in their office, and go walk around the hospital. I freaked out because I was alone and having 1 min contractions every 3 minutes. I didn't end up leaving and I think they delivered that other baby in the hallway (maybe it was the next room, couldn't really tell).
7 lbs 6 oz, 21 inches
May 18th, 2010, 10:40 AM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
Quote:
Originally Posted by **jessie** View Post
Not as funny as most of yours, but...

After an internal I was bleeding like crazy. The only way for me to work through contraction was walking, but then I looked back and saw a bloody trail. So I went and found spray cleaner and paper towels and was on my hands and knees in active labor cleaning the hospital floor! I refused to get up before it was all clean.

This is more funny weird. I had a very long labor and at one point I sent DH home to feed our pets quick so I was alone in the delivery room. I was 5 cm, sitting on the birthing ball, and the midwife comes in and says they need my room because a lady came in that was going to immanently deliver and all the other rooms were full. She told me to pack my things, put them in their office, and go walk around the hospital. I freaked out because I was alone and having 1 min contractions every 3 minutes. I didn't end up leaving and I think they delivered that other baby in the hallway (maybe it was the next room, couldn't really tell).
OMG! I can't imagine anyone throwing a woman in labor out of her room!? That must have been an intensely busy day for that hospital.

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
May 29th, 2010, 04:35 PM
Cheet_oh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You ladies have me seriously cracking up over here! I don't think I really had any funny things happen during labor with any of my kids. I mean, with my first, the Stratosphere in Las Vegas was being built and during construction, it caught fire....the nurses wanted to be funny and asked if I wanted to take a detour (when I was being wheeled into the delivery room...this was '93) and watch the tower burn hardy har har....lol

(Angela - 37) (Doug - 32)

(Steven - 20) (Sebastian - 18) (Mina - 13) (Ava - 4) (Aria - 1)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search