u/s & NST

Forum: Labor and Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Labor and Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 19th, 2010, 09:33 AM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
jessies comment about NST, etc in labor got me thinking

did you have to have any extra u/s? why?

did you have to have any NST?
why?

does your OB/MW do NST if you go past 40w?

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
May 19th, 2010, 09:45 AM
~Allison~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I only had 2 ultrasounds. A vaginal one at my first appointment, then the anatomy/gender scan at 21ish weeks.

May 19th, 2010, 10:17 AM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Allison~ View Post
I only had 2 ultrasounds. A vaginal one at my first appointment, then the anatomy/gender scan at 21ish weeks.
Oh wonderful It's always nice to see an OB or CNM who doesn't overdo it on the ultrasounds every 5 seconds.

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
May 19th, 2010, 10:24 AM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
I only wanted 2: the NT scan at 12 weeks and the anatomy scan at 20. Buuuuuuut it didn't work out that way.

I had them at:
6 weeks bc they thought I was miscarrying
7 weeks to try and diagnose the cause of the bleeding - no luck
14 weeks - NT scan
20 weeks - anatomy scan
28 weeks - amniotic fluid level check bc I was measuring way ahead and tested neg for GD
40 weeks - fluid level and placenta check bc I was overdue

NST: 1 at 41 weeks bc I was overdue

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
May 19th, 2010, 10:45 AM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
did you have to have any extra u/s? why? I had one at 7w to confirm heartbeat before transferring my care to my OBGYN from the RE, I had one at 18w on my own to determine gender (couldnt wait, and im so glad I did it..the hospital u/s was awful)...I had my 20w scan, I had to have a growth one at 32w because my hcG was sooooo high and i was measuring at only 28w so they were really worried abotu her size, but she measured right on track, just in a weird position. Then I had a 4D one at 37w1d. I had 2 nst a week from 33w-37w because of pre-e

did you have to have any NST? oh woops i messed up my own thing .. 2x a week for 4w
why? pre-e

does your OB/MW do NST if you go past 40w? only if you go past 42

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
May 19th, 2010, 12:00 PM
Amanda_Marie's Avatar Mommy to Owen
I had an extra u/s and and NST when my BP was really high. I ended up getting induced that evening.

As far as after 40w I'm not sure because I only made it to 37w

Thank you Tasha_Mae for my beautiful siggy!
May 19th, 2010, 12:38 PM
gctattoo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had one u/s at 20 weeks. Since I had no insurance, I had to bring $500 in cash beforehand. But the hospital did give me half off.

I didn't have any NST's. I don't know if my OB would order one after 40 weeks. My last appointment was at 40 weeks, 1 day. And no talk of one.
May 19th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Platinum Supermommy
With my first, I only had one. I was offered one at 11weeks because they couldn't find the heartbeat (first time they tried). I declined and decided to wait a few weeks. They found the heartbeat when I was in a week later for IV fluids.

With my second, I had four. I had one at 10 weeks because I was so sick and my doctor wanted to make sure that everything was normal with the pregnancy and there was only one baby. I had the normal anatomy scan at 20 weeks. I had one around 31 weeks because I had been measuring 4 weeks behind for several appointments and I was only up one pound from my pre-pregnancy weight at that point. I had one at ~36 weeks to check position because at 35 weeks my doctor thought she was transverse and at 36 weeks the backup doctor (my normal one was on vacation) was worried about how small I was measuring.

My daughter was born at 40w2d. If I had gone longer, I had a NST & BPP scheduled for 41w1d. I would have been induced at 41w3d since they only induce on Wednesdays and don't want women going over 42w.
May 20th, 2010, 07:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
With Noah I had one at 12 weeks because they couldn't find the heartbeat with the doppler and then one at 24 weeks.

With Nicky I had one at 12 weeks to confirm dates, 14 weeks because I was bleeding, and 24 weeks.

With Aly I had one at 12 weeks to confirm dates, 24 weeks, and one during labor because the nurses couldn't feel her head and thought she might be breech.. my OB later told me they were nuts

With this one, so far I've just had the 12 week on to confirm dates.. I'll have one more at 24 weeks.

Many Many Thanks to GraysMama (Chelsea) for my AMAZING Siggy!!!

May 20th, 2010, 09:26 AM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
did you have to have any extra u/s? why? I had 5 u/s in total...1 at 8wks (normal viability/hb scan with OB), 1 at 12wks with perinatologist (NT scan), 2 at 20 weeks (normal anatomy scan with OB, follow up in-depth anatomy scan with perinatologist, and the a "sizing" u/s due to concern about increased rate of baby's growth/projected size at birth at 38wks with OB.

did you have to have any NST? Nope

does your OB/MW do NST if you go past 40w? I knew going in that both OB & Perinatologist recommended me not going much beyond due date (probably max of 1 week), so not sure if a NST would have been done but probably...

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
May 20th, 2010, 04:50 PM
Platinum Supermommy
did you have to have any extra u/s? why?
gestational diabetes
I had one at 7wks, 12wks, 18wks, 26wks, and then after that had an u/s every week until delivery... boo-hiss

why?
gestational diabetes, starting at 26wks I started having biweekly NST and growth u/s

does your OB/MW do NST if you go past 40w? n/a
May 20th, 2010, 05:07 PM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
did you have to have any extra u/s? why? I had 3. One at 9 weeks for dating purposes, one at 20 weeks for anatomy, and one at 35 weeks to check for lung development after pre-term labor.

Yes, I had 3 of those too.
why? Pre-term labor.

does your OB/MW do NST if you go past 40w? Dunno. I've never even made it to 38 weeks, lol.

Married to my best friend for a decade.
Mom to:

Cassidy, 6.5 yrs. Born 10/23/07, 7 pounds 10 ounces, 20 in.

Joel, 4.75 yrs. Born 6/23/09, 9 pounds 12 ounces, 21 in.

Timothy, 2 yrs. Born 3/20/12, 9 pounds 4 ounces, 22.5 in.

May 21st, 2010, 07:03 PM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
I had a few u/s. First at 16 weeks (anatomy). They couldn't measure everything because baby was wiggling around too much, so I had another at 17 weeks. Well again baby was all over the place and they measured what they couldn't get last time, but this time they couldn't get something else. So I had another 3 weeks later. Then I had unexpected bleeding at 37 weeks and doc told me to go to l&d (it happened the week before too), but this time they did an u/s to make sure the bleeding wasn't a placental abruption. Then I had another the day I had Kelly, they just did a quick check to make sure everything was good and he was in position.

I had 2 NST during each of my l&d visits.

I don't know if they do NST after 40 weeks.

June 1st, 2010, 07:11 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I had a lot of extra u/s due to carrying twins.

7 weeks - rule out miscarraige, found twins instead!
20 weeks - anatomy scan
24 weeks - growth scan
28 weeks - growth scan and cervical length due to PTL
29 weeks - follow up cervical length and growth scan
32 weeks - growth scan
36 weeks - growth scan

Throw in u/s in my OB's office at nearly every single appt (19 of them) to check heartbeats (easier than searching for 2 HB's with a doppler) and fluid level checks.

And surprisingly, even though I was carrying twins and NST's are very common with them...I didn't have a single one!!

With this pregnancy, I've had one at 8 weeks just to "count the babies" and the anatomy scan at 20 weeks. I don't foresee having or needing any more. But we'll see how it plays out I guess!!

June 3rd, 2010, 12:49 AM
Cheet_oh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If I remember correctly, I had 4. One was at 12 weeks to check the gestational age (AF is flighty), second one was the growth scan then third was when they thought I was in early labor, last one is because I had a ton of amniotic fluid and they were checking for something, I can't remember now.

(Angela - 37) (Doug - 32)

(Steven - 20) (Sebastian - 18) (Mina - 13) (Ava - 4) (Aria - 1)

June 3rd, 2010, 02:36 PM
edgeofelise's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've had four u/s, I only wanted one. The first was the anatomy scan at 20 weeks, which was the only one we'd planned on having. At 35 weeks my midwife thought she was breech but couldn't say for sure because I have tons of fluid, an anterior placenta, and apparently strong abdominal tone that made it hard to find her. She was confirmed breech with a 2nd u/s, then the next week when I went for acupuncture to try to get her to turn, they couldn't find her AGAIN, so I was sent for ANOTHER. She had turned on her own. Then yesterday I had to have a BPP because I'm 41 weeks. We had one NST the other day, and if she doesn't come in the next couple days, we have to have another. I'll be induced at 42 weeks, which I can't quite get myself to accept.

Eliza Rose, born 6/9/10
...and getting a little brother for her birthday! Baby Henry Wilder, due 6/7/13

June 7th, 2010, 12:35 AM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
did you have to have any extra u/s? why? In this pregnancy no, but in the 1st and 2nd yes. Possibly once in the 3rd too, I don't think so...I'm kinda fuzzy on if that was the 2nd or 3rd I'm remembering.

did you have to have any NST? No, not exactly, I've been in for labor check where they kinda did that though...
why?

does your OB/MW do NST if you go past 40w? Idk, never have.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search