Laboring with back injuries & conditions

Forum: Labor and Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Labor and Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 27th, 2010, 06:06 AM
MamaMandy's Avatar is it Spring yet??
Hi, ladies. My name is Mandy, I'm 32, single mom to a 5 year old who was born c-section so I've never been in labor. I'm due in November, and hope to avoid the major surgery of a repeat c-sect. I just can't imagine it while caring for a newborn and special needs 5 year old! I've never posted here, have been hanging out at VBAC & Nov DDC mostly, but I could really use some guidance here please.

I'm hoping someone has real life info for me, either your own experience or someone one you know, on going thru labor & vaginal delivery when your back is a mess. Or even a wb link - I can't seem to find anything on it. Did pushing strain & pain your back problem areas? Could you still push effectively past that if it did? Did the force of labor make your conditions/injuries worse? Does the epidural kill the back pain too? My OB & primary doc both support my choice to try & VBAC, but am I tough enough? I mean, I live with pain daily & have learned how to push through it & keep on moving & living & suck it up, so I'd like to think I can handle labor...but I could be clueless, with no idea just how bad it hurts & fooling myself.

Arrggh! It's a rock & a hard spot - I have to keep my core (abdominal area) strong to help put off an inevitable spinal fusion as long as possible. The surgical fusion is serious, I'll have to re-learn new ways of moving & totally lose some movements permanently so I REALLY don't want my abdomen sliced open for a c-s if I can help it. BUT what about laboring with ruptured discs, degenerative disc disease, sacroiliac joint dysfunction & spinal instability?! YIKES! I was just learning how bad my back was, arranging for spinal injections & considering disc surgery when SURPRISE-baby on the way! I'd REALLY appreciate any input anyone has on this dilemma. Thank you!

Children are not little adults, but they ARE people too!

There's a reason they are called dependents...

AP is not alternative to those who see no other choice

http://helpguide.org/mental/parentin...t_disorder.htm

May 27th, 2010, 07:23 AM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats on your beeb! And welcome to the board

I have a pretty bad back (from having to jump off a horse a few years ago) but it doesn't sound the same as yours. I would think that different pushing positions would make it a lot easier (Same with labor positions)..where is your injury? Mine is up in my shoulder blade area, so it wasn't really involved in labor.

Have you seen a chiropractor? They can do some pretty amazing things.

I think if your Dr. knows about your back and is still supporting your VBAC, it's probably okay, because MOST doctors would prefer a repeat, scheduled c-section, kwim?

I was induced (emergency, not scheduled or anything) and I had pitocin - I hear Pit is way worse than normal labor (my pit was very high too) and I got through it without any pain medication...I imagine as a VBAC your chances of induction are quite low, so from my research and talking to people who have had pitocin and natural labors, the natural labor is cake. I think if you hold off on the epidural as long as possible and you're able to be up and mobile and getting in different positions, you should be just fine.

If you tell us a bit more about your injury we might be able to help you. I have a very good friend who is a midwife and I can ask her perspective on it too, if you would like

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
June 7th, 2010, 12:38 AM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
My back is not good, in fact I was scared to try and epidural in my first pregnancy because of it, so I talked to my doc about it, and she calmed my fears. My back did not come out of the pregnancies any worse because of the labors.

June 13th, 2010, 08:28 AM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
I think positioning for you is going to be key. You will probably be in far worse pain from back labor than the average mom in labor, so it's going to be key for you to have baby in an anterior position. I would second the chiropractor suggestion throughout the pregnancy to encourage optimal positioning of the baby. And yes, an epidural will block the pain in your back too. And no labor won't do any further damage. Please let us know if we can help AT ALL. I always love to see a VBAC Mama

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search